StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Age of Discovery, Colonization, Revolution, & Expansion > The Wild West

Notices and Announcements

The Wild West Discussions on Cowboys & Indians, Mexican War, etc. Sponsored by Wild West magazine.

Old 20 Sep 06, 15:22
Sergeant
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

bad bob is on the path to success [1-99] bad bob is on the path to success [1-99]
Dahlgren Raid

Quote by JimG on another forum: ["I am curious to find out what anyone here may know about the raid that was led by Col. Ulric Dahlgren. Dahlgren was killed in the raid and it was alleged that he was carrying written orders to assassinate Jefferson Davis and members of his cabinet, liberate the union prisoners held in Libby Prison, and burn the city of Richmond.

It seems to me that while there were probably those in the north who would have given such orders, it is unlikely that those orders would have been given to a detachment of ninety cavalrymen. That is roughly the size of a single troop. If I remember correctly there wereat least 75,000 confederate troops available to defend the city at that time."] End Quote.

Don't recall ever seeing anything about this event, and this is all the info available.
bb.
Old 19 Nov 06, 15:49
Sergeant
United_States

bad bob is on the path to success [1-99] bad bob is on the path to success [1-99]
Another Pony Express

Just ran across some records that I had stored for some time, and shows that besides the original Pony Express 1860-61, there was another Express a short time later. Called the Northern Overland Pony Express, it ran from Ft Abercrobie, on the eastern border of North Dakota, to Helena Montana from January 1867 to March 1868. (Transcontinental RR completed May 1869).

The westbound pony express route went to Ft Ransom, north to Ft Totten, west to Ft Stevenson & Ft Berthold, and on to Ft Buford on the western border of ND. From there Ft Peck in Montana. From Ft Peck, A circular route went over to Ft Benton, down to to Helena and Diamond City, then east to Ft Howie, NE to Ft Hawley, and back to Ft Peck. From Ft Peck the route is retraced back to Ft Abercrombie.

Don't recall ever reading anything on this subject.
bb.
Old 19 Nov 06, 16:00
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad bob View Post
Just ran across some records that I had stored for some time, and shows that besides the original Pony Express 1860-61, there was another Express a short time later. Called the Northern Overland Pony Express, it ran from Ft Abercrobie, on the eastern border of North Dakota, to Helena Montana from January 1867 to March 1868. (Transcontinental RR completed May 1869).

The westbound pony express route went to Ft Ransom, north to Ft Totten, west to Ft Stevenson & Ft Berthold, and on to Ft Buford on the western border of ND. From there Ft Peck in Montana. From Ft Peck, A circular route went over to Ft Benton, down to to Helena and Diamond City, then east to Ft Howie, NE to Ft Hawley, and back to Ft Peck. From Ft Peck the route is retraced back to Ft Abercrombie.

Don't recall ever reading anything on this subject.
bb.
Hi BADBOB! Long time since we last spoke. That's a new one on me too! If memory serves, the original Pony Express went from St. Jo Missouri to Sacramento California. Interesting information! Thanks for sharing. I guess you DO learn something new every day.
Old 20 Nov 06, 13:37
Sergeant
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbryan View Post
Hi BADBOB! Long time since we last spoke. That's a new one on me too! If memory serves, the original Pony Express went from St. Jo Missouri to Sacramento California. Interesting information! Thanks for sharing. I guess you DO learn something new every day.
Hiya John
Great to hear from ye once again. Yer right about the original PE route. I think the mail was then put aboard a clipper ship, or paddlewheeler in Sacramento, to be delivered in San Franciso.

bb.
Old 01 Dec 06, 12:18
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Hiya John
Great to hear from ye once again. Yer right about the original PE route. I think the mail was then put aboard a clipper ship, or paddlewheeler in Sacramento, to be delivered in San Franciso.

bb.
If memory serves, I think the whole Pony Express thing lasted less than a year, didn't it? I believe the telegraph took over after that.
Old 01 Dec 06, 14:50
Sergeant
United_States

Quote:
If memory serves, I think the whole Pony Express thing lasted less than a year, didn't it? I believe the telegraph took over after that.
Hi John
Original PE went from Apr 3 1860 to late Oct 1861...about 18 mos after which, yup you got it, the "talking wires" replaced the Pony.
bb.
Old 01 Dec 06, 15:46
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Hi John
Original PE went from Apr 3 1860 to late Oct 1861...about 18 mos after which, yup you got it, the "talking wires" replaced the Pony.
bb.
Good stuff, bad bob! Thanks for the clarification!
Old 01 Dec 06, 16:46
Sergeant
United_States

Quote:
Good stuff, bad bob! Thanks for the clarification!
You're quite welcome indeed...ever been to UP, heard it's extremely scenic up there, and some very remote places?

bb.
Old 01 Dec 06, 16:54
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
You're quite welcome indeed...ever been to UP, heard it's extremely scenic up there, and some very remote places?

bb.
Many times and it is indeed very beautiful and VERY Scenic. The Upper Penninsula a wonderful place for vacations either summer or winter. I could bore you for hours with tales of past experiences.
Old 01 Dec 06, 17:00
Sergeant
United_States

Quote:
Many times and it is indeed very beautiful and VERY Scenic. The Upper Penninsula a wonderful place for vacations either summer or winter. I could bore you for hours with tales of past experiences.
On the contrary, these type stories are fascinating to me, and would be far from boring. Can't use this forum, of course...if you feel like it, ya can email me directly..love to hear from ye.
bb.
Sponsored Links

Old 01 Dec 06, 18:34
Banned
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

medevac has a spectacular aura about [400]
medevac has a spectacular aura about [400]
Part of the PE runs about 20 miles from where I live. They have a big deal each year as they reride part of the route.

Very interesting stuff.
Old 01 Dec 06, 19:26
Sergeant
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by medivac View Post
Part of the PE runs about 20 miles from where I live. They have a big deal each year as they reride part of the route.

Very interesting stuff.

Yes it is, and they most likely have similar celebrations at other locations along the route. I think St Joseph & Carson City mark the event annually. What area are you in Pat, if you don't mind the disclosure? I see yer mini-profile just says wild west.
Old 08 Jul 09, 18:25
First Sergeant
United_States

bubblehead is on the path to success [1-99] bubblehead is on the path to success [1-99] bubblehead is on the path to success [1-99] bubblehead is on the path to success [1-99] bubblehead is on the path to success [1-99]
All of the major Native American tribes had one or more fascinating leaders. Some have been mentioned, like Geronimo or Sitting Bull, but others like Mingus Coloradus (red sleeves) were just plain interesting people. I read a book about Kit Carson that dealt in some detail with the Navajo and mentioned several leaders and persons of note.

How about profiles of say, 30 prominent Native Americans. They don't have to be long, and it could be a long running series through several issues.

Whaddya' think?
Old 09 Jul 09, 12:44
ACG Forums - General Staff
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Quote by JimG on another forum: ["I am curious to find out what anyone here may know about the raid that was led by Col. Ulric Dahlgren. Dahlgren was killed in the raid and it was alleged that he was carrying written orders to assassinate Jefferson Davis and members of his cabinet, liberate the union prisoners held in Libby Prison, and burn the city of Richmond.

It seems to me that while there were probably those in the north who would have given such orders, it is unlikely that those orders would have been given to a detachment of ninety cavalrymen. That is roughly the size of a single troop. If I remember correctly there wereat least 75,000 confederate troops available to defend the city at that time."] End Quote.

Don't recall ever seeing anything about this event, and this is all the info available.
bb.
Our own Eric Wittenburg has just finished a bio on Ulric Dahlgren that should be available shortly. I'm sure that he could answer just about any question you might have about him.

Peace through superior firepower.
Old 13 Mar 10, 14:51
Captain
United_States

Alatriste is on the path to success [1-99] Alatriste is on the path to success [1-99] Alatriste is on the path to success [1-99] Alatriste is on the path to success [1-99] Alatriste is on the path to success [1-99] Alatriste is on the path to success [1-99]
Just thinking off of the top of my head:

The Mier Expedition
The Sedalia Trail
The Chisolm Trail
History of the Longhorn Breed
The Navies of Texas
The San Antonio Mission Trail
How to Purchase Cattle & Organize a Cattle Drive
The Splitting of Laredo
Steamboats on the Rio Grande
Care and Feeding of Quadrupeds (horse, mule, donkey) on the Trail.
The Laying of Railroad Tracks
The Design of a Locomotive & Carriage
Smelting of Gold & Silver in the 1800's
The Problem of Water in Mining
Cowboy Art
Bandera, TX - Cowboy Capital of the World.
How to Make an Adobe Brick

Last edited by Alatriste; 13 Mar 10 at 17:16..

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!