StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Age of Discovery, Colonization, Revolution, & Expansion > The Wild West

Notices and Announcements

The Wild West Discussions on Cowboys & Indians, Mexican War, etc. Sponsored by Wild West magazine.

Old 21 May 06, 13:58
Member Emeritus
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Model Forum Group Build 

Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500]
Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500]
Exclamation Need Your Ideas!

Wild West fans... please tell me what you would like to read about in Wild West magazine in 2007.

Let me have as many ideas as you can come up with.

I am interested in ideas for the usual gunfighters/lawmen but also anything related to social history, culture, technology, economy, etc...

Thanks!

Last edited by Admiral; 29 May 06 at 20:45.. Reason: Stuck & exclaimed it!
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 21 May 06, 14:39
ACG Forums - Guardiano di Roma
Pirate
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 
SPQR Campaign 

Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
  • Several stories converge at this point. Maybe one worth checking out or pursuing...
  • So many stories connect...
  • Early law enforcement in the West
  • Jim knew the value of armor
I keep thinkin, Eric. I'm sure there are many others with ideas to give. Lets git er done, folks! Post em if ya got em! Even if only a name, place or legend. Truth often underlies some legends, after all.

ACG History Today

BoRG
Old 21 May 06, 15:16
Member Emeritus
United_States

Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500]
Good stuff...please keep the ideas coming.
Old 21 May 06, 19:17
ACG Forums - Morale Officer
United_States
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 

Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Well, you did ask.......so here goes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Weider
Wild West fans... please tell me what you would like to read about in Wild West magazine in 2007.

Let me have as many ideas as you can come up with.

I am interested in ideas for the usual gunfighters/lawmen but also anything related to social history, culture, technology, economy, etc...

Thanks!
  • I'm obsessed with the Movie Tombstone. Anything to do with the story, characters, maps, compare the characters in the movie with their real counterparts, artwork.
  • how did people make business transactions? Did people carry wallets and billfolds? Wasn't currency bigger than? Did they have cash registers? Photos..
  • Hollywood has made movies & T.V., The rounders, Cheyenne Social Club, Bonanza. Are they historically accurate?
  • Tons of maps showing everything. Locations of, military installations, forts, Indian Tribes, buried treasure locations, famous western people's grave locations...
  • education. A day in the life of a little red schoolhouse. Curriculum, etc.
  • how did people Secure their property? Locks? Your house?
  • Medical care. Whew. Interesting....
  • Undertaking, what they did, hearses then looked cool. Knott's Berry Farm has a nice one.
  • Do that interactive thing like we do here. You know, give a brief storyline, and we pick what happens next. I don't do it for WWII, but I bet would fer the Olde West! have it start out as a guy or family leaving to go west from St. Louis, Missouri. The choices he makes, fighting Indians, etc.
  • show all the different law badges.
  • what type of training did lawmen get? Military training in the west?
  • how hard was it to be a housewife? What did they do?
  • Missions get better the more you learn about them. Start with the southern most one, and travel along.
  • have a generic caracter and start with their birth and follow their life thru their eyes as they grow older. Like the Truman show.
  • Anything about food and drinks! Menus, bar-b-ques, manners, etc.
  • list all the different jobs and what they did. Livery, assayer?
Whew. Got carried away. I used to read that magazine years ago. Got married. Had kids. Ran out of room. Oh well. I can always start it up again and keep em in my nice clean garage. I you want I can tell you more ideas.........time now to check posts.
Slug

Last edited by Slug; 21 May 06 at 19:23..
Old 21 May 06, 19:34

Well it may be a personality beaten to death - but there was some controversy about Buffalo Bill's Death -- apparenly his daughter sold his body to the city of Golden Colorado -and they went off and claimed that it was Cody's last desire to be buried on a mountain there.

Maybe do some feature on the importance of bison, culturally -etc-

ok that one might have been done to death ---

But I got an idea that I don't think that they ever did before - you could do like chose an Interstate or Highway - and then just have some sort of theme road trip -- one that comes to mind is the I-90 (I think -- might have the wrong number) area - which basically followed the Bozeman Trail -and also goes right by Custer's Last Stand Area -- also not all that far to the East is a Montana State Park - were the Rosebud Battle was fought.

Just a thought.
Old 21 May 06, 22:43
Major General
Pirate
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Pirate-Drakk is on a distinguished road [300] Pirate-Drakk is on a distinguished road [300] Pirate-Drakk is on a distinguished road [300] Pirate-Drakk is on a distinguished road [300] Pirate-Drakk is on a distinguished road [300] Pirate-Drakk is on a distinguished road [300] Pirate-Drakk is on a distinguished road [300] Pirate-Drakk is on a distinguished road [300] Pirate-Drakk is on a distinguished road [300] Pirate-Drakk is on a distinguished road [300] Pirate-Drakk is on a distinguished road [300] Pirate-Drakk is on a distinguished road [300] Pirate-Drakk is on a distinguished road [300] Pirate-Drakk is on a distinguished road [300] Pirate-Drakk is on a distinguished road [300]
I grew up in Montana and have always been interested in "Old West Stuff".

Here's a few ideas that popped into my mind:

Early Western Explores: Lewis and Clark, Pike, Hugh Glas, Jackson (of Jackson's Hole Wyoming), Jim Bridger, Liver Eatin' Johnson, French Fur traders, etc.

Economics: The Railroads, cattle drives, merchants, mining, life of the Cowboys and Trappers.

End of the Old West: farmers, settlers, roads, fences, statehoods.

Bad Guys are always good press.

Women in the West is an interesting topic and not well covered.

More about the Indians: Indian migrations, Indian wars, Famous Indians, broken treaties, reservations, Indian customs and traditions.

Ghost towns and abandon mines are VERY interesting and give people a direct link to the past when touring them.

Weapons and equipment used in the old west.

I aslo would like, more, more, More and MORE!!!!
Old 22 May 06, 14:09

Another thought:

Sand Creek battleground --- and the process of the search for the where the actual battlefield occured. There is a National Battlefield site established, however it is not opened to the public just yet (partly -according to the NPS.gov site, because it has not been established where this event occured.) I guess an article on the process of how they are going about establishing where this battle was fought might be interesting.

Another idea might be - major fort sites of the West and build upon that about what they are now - most are just sites -as the forts themsevles are long gone (E.G. Fort Kearney) Some I think are reconstructed (E.G. Fort Bridger), and some had some post "Wild West" period building and development ( e.g. Fort Laramie).

Finally ( probably for now): Maybe dig up a re-enactor and interview the guy in character; last Summer we ran into a man representing a Buffalo Soldier, and the man really knew his topic. I suppose you could get the person to present all his gear and explain about it -- might make for a nice visual feature opportunity. I'm not sure that a presentation type like that was ever done in these brand of magazines before (and I guess technically speaking you could also do that sort of topic across all of the topics covered by your new stable of magazines).
Old 22 May 06, 15:13
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Avalon is on the path to success [1-99] Avalon is on the path to success [1-99] Avalon is on the path to success [1-99] Avalon is on the path to success [1-99] Avalon is on the path to success [1-99] Avalon is on the path to success [1-99]
Another interesting thing about the Buffalo Soldier reenactor - who as Steve says, was fascinating and really knew his history - was that he was related to a member of the 9th Cav - New Mexico so he had a lot of additional knowledge about his ancestor and memorabilia relating to him and the unit. I don't subscribe to WW (I'm a MH subscriber) so I don't know what's been done before, but being a genealogist I like the idea of interviewing descendents of well known figures - even if they're little known themselves, - and seeing what their knowledge of the history is. Sometimes new information comes from family members.

Mim
Old 22 May 06, 15:20
Member Emeritus
United_States

Wow! Excellent stuff.

You will defenitely see some of these topics covered in 2007.

Please keep any other ideas coming.
Old 22 May 06, 15:25
Gunnery Sergeant
Pirate

Franklin1864 is on the path to success [1-99] Franklin1864 is on the path to success [1-99] Franklin1864 is on the path to success [1-99]
Not as exciting as gunfights and such, but how about an article on land surveyors? Someone had to map the territories and I'm sure they encountered many trials and difficulties while doing so...

(of course being a land surveyor has nothing to do with me thinking this would be interesting )

I call the living, I mourn the dead, I chase the lightning.

From the Imre Nagy Memorial, Budapest Hungary
Sponsored Links

Old 22 May 06, 15:32
Member Emeritus
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin1864
Not as exciting as gunfights and such, but how about an article on land surveyors? Someone had to map the territories and I'm sure they encountered many trials and difficulties while doing so...

(of course being a land surveyor has nothing to do with me thinking this would be interesting )
Jack Hayes I believe was the founder of the Texas Rangers and was mayor of San Francisco AND surveyed the city of Oakland. So yes...there are some good stories out there about surveyors!
Old 22 May 06, 15:43
General of the Forums
Pirate
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Jack Hayes I believe was the founder of the Texas Rangers and was mayor of San Francisco AND surveyed the city of Oakland. So yes...there are some good stories out there about surveyors!
John Wesley Powell's expeditions were pretty cool...mapping the Grand Canyon and other parts of the west.
Old 25 May 06, 20:13
General
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

last_cav1971 is on the path to success [1-99] last_cav1971 is on the path to success [1-99] last_cav1971 is on the path to success [1-99] last_cav1971 is on the path to success [1-99] last_cav1971 is on the path to success [1-99] last_cav1971 is on the path to success [1-99] last_cav1971 is on the path to success [1-99]
Not exactly sure......but I believe that number (1) would fit in with the time period and the expansion in the West.

A most interesting and intriguing tale: (1)The Donner Party
(2) "Galvanized Yankees" (as used by Dee Brown)
(3)"The Trail of Tears"
(4)The Fetterman Massacre
(5)A review of the book "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee" by Dee Brown
(6) A tribute to both sides who participated in the 'Battle of the Little Bighorn'
(7) A look into the true life and death of William H. Bonney (Billy the Kid).
(8) The Murphy/Dolan faction and the fight for space and land rights (Lincoln County War).
(9)George Crook and his hunt for Geronimo
(10) Jedediah Smith and the mountain men
(11) Life among the Native Americans as seen through the eyes of whites
(12) Dig up some interviews of the surviving Native Americans who participated in the Indian Wars.........get their sides of the stories.
(13)'Manifest Destiny'........what it really meant??

Mark
Deo Vindice

Last edited by last_cav1971; 25 May 06 at 20:23..
Old 25 May 06, 22:49
Member Emeritus
United_States

Hey thanks again fellas...

I'll be spending next weekend in Tombstone with one the Wild West editors going through a couple of hundred article concepts for 2007. Ya'll have given me some good ideas here.

I'll post some pics from Tombstone when I get back. We'll do a little touring while there as well as working on the editorial line up. Get in the right mood and all. Been there twice before but I see different things each time I go. Love it!
Old 25 May 06, 23:22
ACG Forums - Morale Officer
United_States
Greatest Blunders Campaign Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 

Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Can ye do us one faver pardner?

Quote:
Hey thanks again fellas...

I'll be spending next weekend in Tombstone with one the Wild West editors going through a couple of hundred article concepts for 2007. Ya'll have given me some good ideas here.

I'll post some pics from Tombstone when I get back. We'll do a little touring while there as well as working on the editorial line up. Get in the right mood and all. Been there twice before but I see different things each time I go. Love it!
Can ye rustle up the ghost of Mathew Brady, and have him take take a picture a you where the gunfight took place?
If you do, I promise to be sober at the 1st Annual Armchair General Convention!

Last edited by Slug; 25 May 06 at 23:25..

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!