StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Vietnam War

Notices and Announcements

Vietnam War The Battle for Vietnam. .

Old 12 Feb 10, 08:15
Sergeant
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Ranger Jim is on the path to success [1-99] Ranger Jim is on the path to success [1-99] Ranger Jim is on the path to success [1-99]
Trying to get clean?

Old 12 Feb 10, 08:21
Sergeant
United_States

Ranger Jim is on the path to success [1-99] Ranger Jim is on the path to success [1-99] Ranger Jim is on the path to success [1-99]
C-rations? We don't need no stinkin' C-rats!

Old 12 Feb 10, 08:27
Sergeant
United_States

Ok, so some people don't like snake meat...

Not even with some nuc mam sauce?
Old 12 Feb 10, 08:35
Sergeant
United_States

Gotcha!

Old 12 Feb 10, 08:39
Sergeant
United_States

What a tunnel rat does...?

Sponsored Links

Old 12 Feb 10, 08:44
Sergeant
United_States

And what a tunnel rat hopes to find...!?!

Old 12 Feb 10, 09:42
Sergeant
United_States

Who's who?!?

Old 12 Feb 10, 09:45
Sergeant
United_States

S.F. and their gear...

A straight leg's POV:

Old 12 Feb 10, 10:16
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700]
dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Jim View Post
I was going through my files the other day and happened upon my collection of cartoons that I clipped from newspapers and magazines during the Vietnam era (roughly from about '66 to '70) and thought that I'd share them with y'all.

Hope you enjoy them as much as I still do.

Most of them were clipped from the Pacific Stars & Stripes and/or Army Times, with some from Infantry Magazine, Playboy, etc.

Excellent! Thanks so much Jim.
Old 12 Feb 10, 10:19
Sergeant
United_States

Close air support!

This one's for you, Sidewinder (and all of your FAC and TAC buddies)!

We couldn't talk to the pilots directly, so we relied on FACs to interpret for us...
"Charlie 16, got a flight of 3 inbound in about 5 mikes. Load is snakes and 20 mike-mike..."
"Roger, Tamale. Enemy is 750 meters at 375 degrees from my pos in a small clump of trees."
"I'm rolling in and will mark with willy pete."
"Good shooting, Tamale! You got a direct on one and knocked another down and he's not moving! Bring 'em in!"

And so he did and so they did, and we turned in a body count of 1 KIA and 1 probable WIA for the FAC (Tamale 72), and about 15 confirmed KIA for the F4E dudes. I say "about", as after they unloaded a couple of 250# snakes each and then came back in with their gatlings, wasn't much left of the clump of trees, so we had to count weapons. We did manage to salvage a couple of AKs in pretty decent shape, and since the Bn S-3 was our old Co Commander, I passed them along to him personally and he promised to get them to the FAC.

Last edited by Ranger Jim; 12 Feb 10 at 10:35..
Old 12 Feb 10, 10:29
Sergeant
United_States

War is hell, isn't it?

More from the rice paddies and the mud....

Old 12 Feb 10, 10:31
Sergeant
United_States

It's time for R&R! Yesss!!!

Old 12 Feb 10, 10:33
Sergeant
United_States

Meanwhile, back on campus....

Old 12 Feb 10, 10:39
Sergeant Major
Spain

Casyd is on the path to success [1-99] Casyd is on the path to success [1-99] Casyd is on the path to success [1-99] Casyd is on the path to success [1-99] Casyd is on the path to success [1-99] Casyd is on the path to success [1-99]

Very good collection, Jim. Thanks!

Old 12 Feb 10, 11:58
Sergeant
United_States

And "Th-th-th-that's all, folks"...

... at least for now.

I know that I have more (especially from the state-side view) and I'll post them as I find them & scan them. They're an interesting snapshot about how the American public viewed the war in Vietnam in particular and the military in general during the late '60s and early '70s.

And here's one last one for y'all - it's a caricature of me done by one of my fellow platoon leaders ...

You see, as the only Ranger in the Battalion, my nickname was "The Lone Ranger". And as the senior Plt Ldr, I was also the "field XO" (not to mention that I'm from Texas, so you have the "Texas Ranger" mystique. You know, the old "One riot, one Ranger" thing, eh?).

Mind, neither my hair nor my moustache were ever that long or bushy, but he got the expression right! And to this day, I can still stare down people simply by cocking my eyebrow and curling my lip ("I know what you're thinking. That's just a cane, isn't it? Well, you've got to remember that I'm a Ranger and a weapons and explosives expert, and could easily have built a 12 gauge single shot into this cane for wannabe muggers like you. So you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?").
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!