HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Forum Resources > The Barracks

Notices and Announcements

The Barracks For stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else. Members can retire from the serious discussions elsewhere on the forums...and relax here.

Old 25 Apr 06, 11:33
General of the Forums
Pirate
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Are US Marines crazy or just misunderstood?

I come from a long line of sailors. I had a cousin who was in the Navy during Pearl Harbor and died shortly after, an uncle who was in the Navy during Vietnam, and my Dad was a Navy submariner during the final stages of the Cold War and a reservist during Desert Storm. Further adding to the salt was my high school history teacher, a Navy man, and the JROTC on campus - also Navy.

I obviously didn't meet that distant cousin who was at Pearl Harbor and my Dad didn't come into contact with Marines too often, but my uncle and history teacher worked on surface ships and both had numerous contact with Marines and both had the same opinion: Marines were crazy.

My uncle has numerous funny stories about unruly Marines on board. He spoke of one time when a group of Marines started a full scale brawl over who got to be first in the chow line. A lone sailor was singled out and told to go break up the fight. The sailor said no way in hell was he going into the middle of that brawl, he had kids and wanted to live to see them again. My uncle also related a time when a Marine verbally proclaimed that he wished he could get ashore so he could go kill something. Upon hearing this my uncle proceeded to lock himself in the radio room and pray.

Of course the Marines weren't the only hazard. My uncle mentioned they were always eager to get the SEALs off of the ship because the longer the SEALs stayed on board, the greater the chance that something would blow up. Apparently the SEALs favorite recreational activity was to wire a tremendous explosive device together, heave it over the fantail, and watch half the ocean shoot into the sky.

But getting back on the topic of discussion, are marines truly crazy, or simply misunderstood by their nautical bretheren?

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 25 Apr 06, 11:38
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I'd like to think that we are both.

We're misunderstood because there are only two types of people that understand Marines: Us and the Enemy. Working on a second hand opinion means you won't understand everything.

We are also crazy. I know. I was certified Sane by a Navy Shrink with the SEAL Emblem carved in wood sitting on his desk. I take that as a badge of honor that I am out of my gourd crazy.

Lt. Dan, Company XO and sometimes Armored Car commander.
Old 25 Apr 06, 11:39
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
BTW: From what you said about SEALs, I'd love to go on a float with them. It'd be a Blast.

Lt. Dan, Company XO and sometimes Armored Car commander.
Old 25 Apr 06, 12:19
ACG Forums - canis administrationem
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Talking

Well my dad was a Marine so I probably have a lopsided view. Most of my Army officer classes had at least one or two Marines in them. They seemed pretty normal except for an uncanny ability to locate the nearest beer -- this contributed greatly to their popularity. A few Marines liven up any event, especially if there will be shooting going on.

SEALS -- true crazy people. There were two SEAL trainees in my class at Airborne School. I still remember being in the 'break area' [standard military break area -- 4" crushed rock, no shade, beautiful 98 degree, 98% humidity Georgia day] with the sweat running in my eyes and these two animals are off to one side doing MORE PUSHUPS head to head.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.
Old 25 Apr 06, 16:23
Captain
Powflag
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Consul is on the path to success [1-99] Consul is on the path to success [1-99] Consul is on the path to success [1-99] Consul is on the path to success [1-99] Consul is on the path to success [1-99] Consul is on the path to success [1-99] Consul is on the path to success [1-99]
I think they're absolutely crazy and I think that's what makes them the fighting machines that they are. I'm glad to have those boys around.

(And if you doubt Marines are crazy, spend a few minutes around Tac and all your doubts will be laid to rest )

Consul
Sapere aude
Old 25 Apr 06, 16:41
Colonel
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

GunNutUSMC has demonstrated strength of character [100] GunNutUSMC has demonstrated strength of character [100] GunNutUSMC has demonstrated strength of character [100] GunNutUSMC has demonstrated strength of character [100] GunNutUSMC has demonstrated strength of character [100] GunNutUSMC has demonstrated strength of character [100] GunNutUSMC has demonstrated strength of character [100] GunNutUSMC has demonstrated strength of character [100]
man those stories are funny i think their mostly crazy witch makes me want to join. its fun to blow stuff up. as for the SEALS i guess they have some marine in them but i am going to enlist when im 18.
Old 25 Apr 06, 16:45
Major General
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200]
My Dad was a senior Naval Line Officer. Old fashion kind, what he did is command ships, between O-1 and O-6 he commended six ships. I will always remember his take on Marines.

"Nothing beats the Marines when we need them, if we could only figure out how to keep them in a box when we didn't"

This of course coming Marines being the subject of far more than their proportional share of Captain's Masts.
Old 25 Apr 06, 17:00
Sergeant Major
United_States

Grenze is on the path to success [1-99] Grenze is on the path to success [1-99] Grenze is on the path to success [1-99] Grenze is on the path to success [1-99]
In my opinion, Marines are both crazy and misunderstood.

I personally know a marine and he turned out to be a decent soldier after he ETS'd out of the marines and signed up for the army.
Old 25 Apr 06, 17:51
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 

BarcelonaBlom has a spectacular aura about [400]
BarcelonaBlom has a spectacular aura about [400] BarcelonaBlom has a spectacular aura about [400] BarcelonaBlom has a spectacular aura about [400] BarcelonaBlom has a spectacular aura about [400] BarcelonaBlom has a spectacular aura about [400] BarcelonaBlom has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacCovert4
I'd like to think that we are both.

We're misunderstood because there are only two types of people that understand Marines: Us and the Enemy. Working on a second hand opinion means you won't understand everything.

We are also crazy. I know. I was certified Sane by a Navy Shrink with the SEAL Emblem carved in wood sitting on his desk. I take that as a badge of honor that I am out of my gourd crazy.
There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.
Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Anyways... I'm crazy to an extent... A more reserved crazy... unless I'm having fun... Then I get a little crazy... Meh, maybe my eccentrics have become the norm?

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte
Old 25 Apr 06, 19:49
Colonel
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

GunNutUSMC has demonstrated strength of character [100] GunNutUSMC has demonstrated strength of character [100] GunNutUSMC has demonstrated strength of character [100] GunNutUSMC has demonstrated strength of character [100] GunNutUSMC has demonstrated strength of character [100] GunNutUSMC has demonstrated strength of character [100] GunNutUSMC has demonstrated strength of character [100] GunNutUSMC has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaBlom
There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.
Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Anyways... I'm crazy to an extent... A more reserved crazy... unless I'm having fun... Then I get a little crazy... Meh, maybe my eccentrics have become the norm?

i have a really bad anger problem and an extreme hate of certain groups of people would that qualify.
Sponsored Links

Old 25 Apr 06, 20:24
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Mountain Man has disabled reputation
Are Marines crazy or just misunderstood?

Yes...
Old 25 Apr 06, 20:27
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 

BarcelonaBlom has a spectacular aura about [400] BarcelonaBlom has a spectacular aura about [400] BarcelonaBlom has a spectacular aura about [400] BarcelonaBlom has a spectacular aura about [400] BarcelonaBlom has a spectacular aura about [400] BarcelonaBlom has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanker55
i have a really bad anger problem and an extreme hate of certain groups of people would that qualify.
Hmmm dudes with anger problems usually got themselves into problems in Boot...

Hating groups of people usually don't get anyone anywhere...

Old 25 Apr 06, 20:45
Colonel
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaBlom
Hmmm dudes with anger problems usually got themselves into problems in Boot...

Hating groups of people usually don't get anyone anywhere...

crap!!!!! well then what would qualify it dosent effect me to see people die uless there Americans.
Old 25 Apr 06, 20:54
Corporal
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

JDobbs is on the path to success [1-99]
I live in a area where a alot of graduating seniors join the military. That said I know quiet afew Marines both current and retired. I think the Marines are misunderstood mostly and slightly crazy. I have a number of family members thrown all across the different branches. I have a cousin in Iraq right now with the Marines, and a few other cousins and uncles and so on in the Army and Air Force. It is funny when I told my relatives in the service that I intend to join the Marines, they all (except for the Marines I know) told me do any but the Marines.

My principle Dr. Simon was a forner Marine. I say former because as Marines say once a Marine always a Marine. He served two tours in Vietnam as an officer in the Force Recon. He recived a few metals including a bronze star and two purple hearts. He stayed in the corps untill 1995 and retired as a Colonel. He talks about it some but not ever about the combat side. My conclusion on him is, he is a little crazy but mostly he is dedicated to no end.

Almost all the Marines I know I would never mess with, for one I personally have a great deal of respect for men in uniform and because it would be extreamly hazordous to your health and that of your all your teeth.
Old 26 Apr 06, 13:46
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDobbs
I live in a area where a alot of graduating seniors join the military. That said I know quiet afew Marines both current and retired. I think the Marines are misunderstood mostly and slightly crazy. I have a number of family members thrown all across the different branches. I have a cousin in Iraq right now with the Marines, and a few other cousins and uncles and so on in the Army and Air Force. It is funny when I told my relatives in the service that I intend to join the Marines, they all (except for the Marines I know) told me do any but the Marines.

My principle Dr. Simon was a forner Marine. I say former because as Marines say once a Marine always a Marine. He served two tours in Vietnam as an officer in the Force Recon. He recived a few metals including a bronze star and two purple hearts. He stayed in the corps untill 1995 and retired as a Colonel. He talks about it some but not ever about the combat side. My conclusion on him is, he is a little crazy but mostly he is dedicated to no end.

Almost all the Marines I know I would never mess with, for one I personally have a great deal of respect for men in uniform and because it would be extreamly hazordous to your health and that of your all your teeth.
Can I go and RA in your neighborhood?

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!