StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Simulations

Notices and Announcements

Simulations Flight, tank, naval, and any other Sim players gather here.

Old 07 Mar 07, 08:50
ACG Forums - Field Marshal
Australia
Distinguished Service Award - 2nd Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
IMHO, the original IL-2 set the standard when it was released. The second version of IL-2 (FB/AEP/PF) is still just about the best WW2 combat flight sim you can get. Realism is never 'perfect' in these products created for the home PC but as far as they go, this is definitely towards the more realistic end of what's available.
Old 07 Mar 07, 19:19
General
Australia
5 Year Service Ribbon Model Forum Group Build Victor Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 

Geek44 is simply cracking [600]
Geek44 is simply cracking [600] Geek44 is simply cracking [600] Geek44 is simply cracking [600] Geek44 is simply cracking [600] Geek44 is simply cracking [600] Geek44 is simply cracking [600] Geek44 is simply cracking [600] Geek44 is simply cracking [600] Geek44 is simply cracking [600] Geek44 is simply cracking [600] Geek44 is simply cracking [600] Geek44 is simply cracking [600]
I agree. I recently bought the 1946 edition. It's all of Ubi's flight sims in one hit. The new aircraft are fun to fly (and shoot down too) but as BB said...it gets repetitive. I've taken to flying the largest aircraft I can under bridges. I managed to fly that clunking old Tupolev with the bicycle wheels and four engines under but the fin is too high and gets sheared off making landing dangerous.
Old 08 Mar 07, 02:31
Major
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Wustenfuchs is walking in the light [200] Wustenfuchs is walking in the light [200] Wustenfuchs is walking in the light [200] Wustenfuchs is walking in the light [200] Wustenfuchs is walking in the light [200] Wustenfuchs is walking in the light [200] Wustenfuchs is walking in the light [200] Wustenfuchs is walking in the light [200] Wustenfuchs is walking in the light [200] Wustenfuchs is walking in the light [200] Wustenfuchs is walking in the light [200]
I've never even heard of this game.....I'd like to check it out, UBI IL-2 would be the one to look for?
Thanks guys
PS do you need a joystick controller, or will a regular one be ok?
Old 08 Mar 07, 03:23
Australia
Distinguished Service Award - 2nd Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 

panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wustenfuchs View Post
I've never even heard of this game.....I'd like to check it out, UBI IL-2 would be the one to look for?
Thanks guys
PS do you need a joystick controller, or will a regular one be ok?
Although it's possible to play the game/sim with something less....

Even if you are only 'half serious', you should have at the very least, a proper joystick with a throttle control. Better yet a throttle that is totally separate from the stick (or can be separated from it).

And if you are 'three-quarters serious', you'll have the full basic set of three separate control input devices; i.e. joystick, throttle and rudder pedals. Then at least your basic controls somewhat resemble (that is, simulate) the real thing. The real full-on enthusiasts go further still, but I'm a 'three-quarters' man myself.
Old 08 Mar 07, 21:28
General
Australia
5 Year Service Ribbon Model Forum Group Build Victor Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 

Geek44 is simply cracking [600] Geek44 is simply cracking [600] Geek44 is simply cracking [600] Geek44 is simply cracking [600] Geek44 is simply cracking [600] Geek44 is simply cracking [600] Geek44 is simply cracking [600] Geek44 is simply cracking [600] Geek44 is simply cracking [600] Geek44 is simply cracking [600] Geek44 is simply cracking [600] Geek44 is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by panther3485 View Post
Although it's possible to play the game/sim with something less....

Even if you are only 'half serious', you should have at the very least, a proper joystick with a throttle control. Better yet a throttle that is totally separate from the stick (or can be separated from it).

And if you are 'three-quarters serious', you'll have the full basic set of three separate control input devices; i.e. joystick, throttle and rudder pedals. Then at least your basic controls somewhat resemble (that is, simulate) the real thing. The real full-on enthusiasts go further still, but I'm a 'three-quarters' man myself.
Jeez I must be a novice. I just use a joystick with a throttle control on it and handle twist for rudder.
Wustenfuchs...It's 'IL-2' and then there's 'IL-2 Forgotten Battles' then there's their 'Aces Expansion Pack' and finally 'IL-2 1946' which extrapolates the war forward another year with jet aircraft and a few 'paper experimentals' thrown in. These are all by 'Ubisoft'. There's also 'Pacific Fighters' by them too but the '1946' pack contains all of them. It's the best WW2 flight sim I've ever played....I haven't played them all but IL-2 is very good. You can adjust the complexity of the game to match your skill or preferences. Unlimited ammo and fuel if you like or you can manage the game down to fuel mixture and propeller pitch if you desire. It's very comprehensive and there are over a hundred (off the top of my head) aircraft you can fly...all different.
Sponsored Links

Old 09 Mar 07, 06:22
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek44 View Post
"Jeez I must be a novice. I just use a joystick with a throttle control on it and handle twist for rudder.
Wustenfuchs...It's 'IL-2' and then there's 'IL-2 Forgotten Battles' then there's their 'Aces Expansion Pack' and finally 'IL-2 1946' which extrapolates the war forward another year with jet aircraft and a few 'paper experimentals' thrown in. These are all by 'Ubisoft'. There's also 'Pacific Fighters' by them too but the '1946' pack contains all of them. It's the best WW2 flight sim I've ever played....I haven't played them all but IL-2 is very good. You can adjust the complexity of the game to match your skill or preferences. Unlimited ammo and fuel if you like or you can manage the game down to fuel mixture and propeller pitch if you desire. It's very comprehensive and there are over a hundred (off the top of my head) aircraft you can fly...all different."
That's a pretty good overview.

And there's nothing at all wrong with your joystick. However, in my recommendation to others, I would always advise them that the type of stick you've got is a 'bare minimum', if you want to play the sim half seriously.
Old 09 Mar 07, 10:50
General
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther3485 View Post
That's a pretty good overview.

And there's nothing at all wrong with your joystick. However, in my recommendation to others, I would always advise them that the type of stick you've got is a 'bare minimum', if you want to play the sim half seriously.
You're a pretty serious player then. I guess you go for complex engine management too. I still crash on around 10% of my landings but I'm getting better. I hate having to land jets on grass but I love flying them under bridges.
The one thing I dislike about the game is the AI. The enemy is often very predictable and a climbing turn is an almost foolproof way of getting out of trouble. If you fly very low, often your wingman will hit the deck. That's my only issue though. I love it.
Old 21 May 07, 21:21
Staff Sergeant
United_States

larizona is on the path to success [1-99]
I love the series

IL-2 just keeps getting better, thanks to some really great developer support.

I have all of the previous versions, and still went out to buy 1946.

If the game is gets a little samey, I highly recommend on-line play. There is a great, active community to equal some of the FPS' like Red Orchestra. The Ubi-soft lobby is worthless, but I highly recommend Hyperlobby. Available at:

http://hyperfighter.sk

I have been having a blast with online play. Online very stable. Some great servers and fine people are online playing this.

Join the Army and see the Navy
sandwich board in the Marx Brother's Duck Soup, 1933
Old 22 May 07, 19:34
Lieutenant Colonel
UK

Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100]
I never felt comfortable with IL-2 because the MG and cannon ballistics never seemed realistic, both with aircraft weapons and flak.
In short, the trajectories seemed to have no gravity drop and the rounds also flew much too fast, and left too-thick smoke trails..
My favourite WW2 F. Sim is Combat Flight Sim 2 (Pacific War) with all the Euro Theatre and WW1 add-on aircraft and scenery
Old 22 May 07, 23:28
Sergeant
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Frankenstein is on the path to success [1-99] Frankenstein is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Old Spike View Post
I never felt comfortable with IL-2 because the MG and cannon ballistics never seemed realistic, both with aircraft weapons and flak.
In short, the trajectories seemed to have no gravity drop and the rounds also flew much too fast, and left too-thick smoke trails..
Were you playing with realistic gunnery off? Gravity is factored into the ballistics as is velocity of the rounds. If you want proof, try setting your convergence to 5-600 meters and then open up on a plane at 50m and watch your rounds fly OVER your target. Either that or fly level and fire over water. Your rounds will eventually fall into the water once they dispel most of their energy.

With flack, you may have a point. I've never tested it but I can assure you that on fighters/bombers it is modeled into the game.

The "smoke trails" are also modeled pretty accurately as far as I can tell after watching as much gun-cam footage as I can get my hands on. One thing that throws alot of people off is the fact that most gun cam footage shows more of a squiggle instead of the strait lines you find in IL2. Believe it or not, the game got it right. The "squiggle" look of tracers is due to the camera shake as the guns fire; sort of like a fast car passing a camera with a slow shutter, you get movement blur. There's a pic online of a P40 firing at a target while on the ground to test its convergence. Those tracers are firing as straight as lazers...

As for CFS2, to each his own...
Old 23 May 07, 04:32
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post
Were you playing with realistic gunnery off? Gravity is factored into the ballistics as is velocity of the rounds. If you want proof, try setting your convergence to 5-600 meters and then open up on a plane at 50m and watch your rounds fly OVER your target. Either that or fly level and fire over water. Your rounds will eventually fall into the water once they dispel most of their energy.

With flack, you may have a point. I've never tested it but I can assure you that on fighters/bombers it is modeled into the game.

The "smoke trails" are also modeled pretty accurately as far as I can tell after watching as much gun-cam footage as I can get my hands on. One thing that throws alot of people off is the fact that most gun cam footage shows more of a squiggle instead of the strait lines you find in IL2. Believe it or not, the game got it right. The "squiggle" look of tracers is due to the camera shake as the guns fire; sort of like a fast car passing a camera with a slow shutter, you get movement blur. There's a pic online of a P40 firing at a target while on the ground to test its convergence. Those tracers are firing as straight as lazers...

As for CFS2, to each his own...
IMHO, with the exception of the graphics, CFS2 was better than CFS3. Flight modelling in CFS2 had its faults but in CFS3 it was a total joke.

CFS2 was pretty good for its time, I thought.
Old 27 May 07, 20:51
Private
Armchair_General

bluepoint is on the path to success [1-99]

Il2 Sturmovik was one of the first and better games about simulation. It is not a common game for me. It`s a simulation exercise. It`s a different experience in comparison with other games, which you play as if you were playing galaxian or any other. I think the PC requeriments are low (CFS needs the last generation on PC`s if you really want to enjoy all the game). i have learned a lot of history about WWII thanks to special design of Il2. Its menus are simple, russians are like that in their products, but the most important is your experience. Just enjoy it!
Old 29 May 07, 14:49
General of the Forums
United_States

MonsterZero has achieved enlightenment [1200+] MonsterZero has achieved enlightenment [1200+] MonsterZero has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
MonsterZero has achieved enlightenment [1200+] MonsterZero has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Sturmovik has the best ballistics ever seen in a flight combat sim and never attempted since the release of the original game. Microsoft games have the same space blaster guns first seen in the first combat sims 27 years ago. The damage model in IL-2 is the most realistic as well. Different effects are produced depending on where the bullets or splinters hit. Hitting the engine produces different effects depending on which part of the engine is damaged. In other sims all you have is a grand total of hits points that you're chipping away until your foe goes down.

I second the opinion that you're doing something wrong; perhaps you've changed realism settings without knowing it.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
--Frederick II, King of Prussia
Old 04 Jul 07, 03:13
General of the Forums
Armchair_General
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign Model Forum Group Build Victor Model Forum Group Build (Multiple - Ace) 

Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Well I've just acquired a more advanced joystick and finished building my gaming PC, things are looking good when play IL-2 soon!

I have seen other 'add-ons' to IL-2 Forgotten battles, is the "IL-2 1946" the one to get?

First get your facts straight, then distort them at your leisure. - Mark Twain.
Old 04 Jul 07, 06:24
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtung baby View Post
Well I've just acquired a more advanced joystick and finished building my gaming PC, things are looking good when play IL-2 soon!

I have seen other 'add-ons' to IL-2 Forgotten battles, is the "IL-2 1946" the one to get?
I've got Forgotten Battles plus the Ace Expansion Pack, as well as Pacific Fighters. I didn't bother with the 1946 jobbie 'cos I'm not a fancier of those additional planes but many IL-2 fans love it.
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!