StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Warfare Through the Ages > The Colonial Era and Asia

Notices and Announcements

The Colonial Era and Asia Discussion of European Empires in India, Africa, South America, and other places as well as military history of the Far East!

Old 19 Mar 08, 22:58
Lieutenant General
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Model Forum Group Build 

Dolley is a pillar of the community [1100] Dolley is a pillar of the community [1100]
Dolley is a pillar of the community [1100] Dolley is a pillar of the community [1100] Dolley is a pillar of the community [1100] Dolley is a pillar of the community [1100] Dolley is a pillar of the community [1100] Dolley is a pillar of the community [1100] Dolley is a pillar of the community [1100] Dolley is a pillar of the community [1100] Dolley is a pillar of the community [1100] Dolley is a pillar of the community [1100] Dolley is a pillar of the community [1100] Dolley is a pillar of the community [1100] Dolley is a pillar of the community [1100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janos View Post
...and of course, it provided Major General the Marquis de Lafayette his first military experience! :flag:
We're just reading in class this week that Lafayette, at 23, was the youngest Major General in history. His family was so rich, he bought his own ship to sail over to the colonies to volunteer at age 19. He must have been very smart for Washington to give him the command, unless you think it was diplomacy for help from the French?
Old 23 Mar 08, 16:36
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolley View Post
We're just reading in class this week that Lafayette, at 23, was the youngest Major General in history. His family was so rich, he bought his own ship to sail over to the colonies to volunteer at age 19. He must have been very smart for Washington to give him the command, unless you think it was diplomacy for help from the French?
Lafayette was gifted in that he was a natural leader of men and a good commander. Washington practically adopted him as his own son.
Old 25 Apr 08, 22:59
Sergeant Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

ktnbs is on the path to success [1-99] ktnbs is on the path to success [1-99] ktnbs is on the path to success [1-99]
Stumbled upon this site. Melik Society. Sudan-Anglo stuff. If you are into Kitchener, Nile gunboats etc.
http://www.melik.org.uk/about.htm
Old 27 Apr 08, 13:27
ACG Forums - Africanus Majoris
Israel
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign 

Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktnbs View Post
Stumbled upon this site. Melik Society. Sudan-Anglo stuff. If you are into Kitchener, Nile gunboats etc.
http://www.melik.org.uk/about.htm
Thanks ktnbs, that is a beautiful link. Diplomatic circles have it that the Blue Nile Sailing Club is one of the major consolations for a posting in Khartoum.

I feel that study of these late Victorians campaigns in The Sudan is in order as the area very likely may be the new stage of the next generation of deployments here, give it a year or three. I find the combination nineteenth century colonial warfare and the early twenty-first century deployments very stimulating. Close study of subjects belonging in this forum could yield true gems.

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.
Old 28 Apr 08, 00:20
Sergeant Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

ktnbs is on the path to success [1-99] ktnbs is on the path to success [1-99] ktnbs is on the path to success [1-99]
captainsennef,

Have you seen this book? Most excellent. The Melik Society chaps, or at least the one I emailed, had not heard of it and was keenly interested. It is a superb read or even better on audio via mp3.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0743280717
Old 28 Apr 08, 00:54
General of the Forums - Donut Dolly
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbryan View Post
Lafayette was gifted in that he was a natural leader of men and a good commander. Washington practically adopted him as his own son.
And the great Polish General/Patriot Tadeusz Kosciuszko was a favorite of Thomas Jefferson. I believe it was Jefferson when writing to congress and speaking of Kosciuszko who used the often repeated slogan of the Polish military, "for your freedom and ours". "Za Nasz I Wasz Wolno"

Kosciuszko is my favorite revolutionary war American General. His statue stands in the US capital building and Across from the White House in Lafayette park. I have seen both

"Freedom Shrieked when Kosciuszko fell"

Last edited by Miss Saigon; 28 Apr 08 at 01:00..
Old 28 Apr 08, 08:42
Israel
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign 

Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Sudan

Quote:
captainsennef,

Have you seen this book? Most excellent. The Melik Society chaps, or at least the one I emailed, had not heard of it and was keenly interested. It is a superb read or even better on audio via mp3.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0743280717
Ktnbs, another valuable suggestion, thanks. It did wet my appetite for more!
Incidentally, as I went into the whole Sudan affair: Gordon, Wolseley, Omdurman, Fashoda, a bit deeper, suddenly your avatar stared me in the face. Good choice though.

You probably know all about it, but I found this man very interesting, Kitchener's talented chief of intelligence in the Sudan.

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.
Old 28 Apr 08, 14:37
Lieutenant Colonel
Poland
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 

Barbaross@ has demonstrated strength of character [100] Barbaross@ has demonstrated strength of character [100] Barbaross@ has demonstrated strength of character [100] Barbaross@ has demonstrated strength of character [100] Barbaross@ has demonstrated strength of character [100] Barbaross@ has demonstrated strength of character [100] Barbaross@ has demonstrated strength of character [100] Barbaross@ has demonstrated strength of character [100] Barbaross@ has demonstrated strength of character [100] Barbaross@ has demonstrated strength of character [100] Barbaross@ has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss.Saigon View Post
And the great Polish General/Patriot Tadeusz Kosciuszko was a favorite of Thomas Jefferson. I believe it was Jefferson when writing to congress and speaking of Kosciuszko who used the often repeated slogan of the Polish military, "for your freedom and ours". "Za Nasz I Wasz Wolno"

Kosciuszko is my favorite revolutionary war American General. His statue stands in the US capital building and Across from the White House in Lafayette park. I have seen both

"Freedom Shrieked when Kosciuszko fell"

And what about Casimirus Pulaski (Kazimierz Pułaski)?
A member of the Polish landed nobility, he was a military commander of the Bar Confederation and fought against Russian domination of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. When this uprising failed, he emigrated to North America, where he became a General in the Continental Army during the American Revolutionary War. He died of wounds suffered at the Battle of Savannah. He has been called "the father of American cavalry".

Statue of Kazimierz Pułaski at Freedom Plaza in Washington, DC.
Regards Miss Saigon

Historia Wojskowa Portal Historyczno-Wojskowy phw.org.pl
Old 29 Apr 08, 01:51
Sergeant Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsennef View Post
Ktnbs, another valuable suggestion, thanks. It did wet my appetite for more!
Incidentally, as I went into the whole Sudan affair: Gordon, Wolseley, Omdurman, Fashoda, a bit deeper, suddenly your avatar stared me in the face. Good choice though.

You probably know all about it, but I found this man very interesting, Kitchener's talented chief of intelligence in the Sudan.

That fellow....is the Prussian? Slalin...was prisoner of the Mahdists for sometime...the poor s.o.b.
Old 29 Apr 08, 04:11
General of the Forums - Donut Dolly
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaross@ View Post

And what about Casimirus Pulaski (Kazimierz Pułaski)?

Statue of Kazimierz Pułaski at Freedom Plaza in Washington, DC.
Regards Miss Saigon
I have also seen this statue. It is by the East gate of the White House. A short walk from the statue of Kosciuszko. But the inscription on the Kosciuszko statue is just so much better. "Freedom Shrieked when Kosciuszko Fell". You can't beat that

However, more things in the US are named after Pulaski than Kosciuszko. Probably because his name is easier for Americans to say

I have also been here:
Quote:
KOSCIUSKO, TEXAS. Kosciusko is at the junction of Farm roads 541 and
FM1347, twelve miles east of Floresville in southeastern Wilson County.
It was named for the Polish General Thaddeus Kosciusko when it was
established March 12, 1880 by sixty-five Polish families.
St. Ann's Catholic Church in Kosciusko, Texas

Sponsored Links

Old 29 Apr 08, 05:44
Lieutenant Colonel
Poland

Barbaross@ has demonstrated strength of character [100] Barbaross@ has demonstrated strength of character [100] Barbaross@ has demonstrated strength of character [100] Barbaross@ has demonstrated strength of character [100] Barbaross@ has demonstrated strength of character [100] Barbaross@ has demonstrated strength of character [100] Barbaross@ has demonstrated strength of character [100] Barbaross@ has demonstrated strength of character [100] Barbaross@ has demonstrated strength of character [100] Barbaross@ has demonstrated strength of character [100] Barbaross@ has demonstrated strength of character [100]
In Poland, there is very popular beer, named after city where the brewery is located. Warka was the childhood place of general Kazimierz Pulaski and is the reason why his picture is placed on the bottle.

There is also statue of Pulaski in the Warka.

Historia Wojskowa Portal Historyczno-Wojskowy phw.org.pl
Old 29 Apr 08, 07:18
Israel

Quote:
That fellow....is the Prussian? Slalin...was prisoner of the Mahdists for sometime...the poor s.o.b.
Good to discuss these items from the apogee of British Imperialism. I was thinking of Reginald Wingate, Kitchener's gifted Chief of Intelligence, who a.o. found out that the French were at Fashoda. Later on he was made Sirdar of the Egyptian Army.
Slatin IIRC was Austrian. Many foreigners were employed in Egyptian Service, perhaps comparable to nowadays talented and adventurous young men and women employed by IGO/NGOs .

Old 15 Sep 08, 14:26
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Jose50 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Jose50 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Jose50 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Jose50 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Jose50 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Jose50 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Jose50 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Jose50 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Jose50 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Jose50 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Jose50 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Jose50 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Jose50 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Jose50 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Thumbs up

ANy of Queen Victoria's "little wars", particularly the Sepoy Mutiny of 1857 where my great-grandfather distinguished himself as a SGT in the HEIC European Artillery.
Old 15 Sep 08, 14:53
Colonel
Scotland
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 

billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200]
Rorke's Drift is probably my snapshot of all that was best and worst about the colonial era. An almost pointless engagement fought with unparalleled professionalism and bravery on all sides. Grunts on the ground fighting at the behest of kings and queens.

Relief of Lucknow comes close.

In terms of an era then the "Great Game" of the North West Frontier where NATO troops are engaged today on a very similar mission.
Old 15 Sep 08, 15:05
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II SPQR Campaign 

Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jose50 View Post
ANy of Queen Victoria's "little wars", particularly the Sepoy Mutiny of 1857 where my great-grandfather distinguished himself as a SGT in the HEIC European Artillery.
I agree. 60+ years of warfare,lots of outstanding generals to study and the list of battles is stupendous.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!