StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Warfare Through the Ages > The Colonial Era and Asia

Notices and Announcements

The Colonial Era and Asia Discussion of European Empires in India, Africa, South America, and other places as well as military history of the Far East!

Old 16 May 07, 11:29
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]  [+1]
Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
For me it has to be the period from the "French and Indian War" thru the American Revolution.

My home town was founded in this period, in the Ohio Valley and spent a large part of the time under constant threat of Indian attack. One report of Indians attacking the local fort passing down the path, what later became the street I grew up on. Gives it a bit of a personnel touch.

The actions of this time period/locations are some what over looked on the importance to the US exspanisoin into the Ohio Country/Northwest.

HP

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

'half-baked, spurious nationalism'
Old 17 May 07, 08:12
General of the Forums
Australia
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

150935 is on a distinguished road [300] 150935 is on a distinguished road [300] 150935 is on a distinguished road [300] 150935 is on a distinguished road [300] 150935 is on a distinguished road [300] 150935 is on a distinguished road [300] 150935 is on a distinguished road [300] 150935 is on a distinguished road [300] 150935 is on a distinguished road [300] 150935 is on a distinguished road [300] 150935 is on a distinguished road [300] 150935 is on a distinguished road [300] 150935 is on a distinguished road [300] 150935 is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral View Post
Indeed... many Earth changing events in the 19th century.

I my be wrong can that class as the Napolianic era or was that the 18th century?
Old 18 May 07, 00:41
Lieutenant General
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500]
holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500]
Angry

Without a doubt, September 1664! That most infamous of dates! The villianous Duke of York sent his henchmen to wrest the paradise of New Amsterdam from its legitimate owners and contaminate it with vile English cooties!!! I am eagerly anticipating the reparations check to pay for the loss of my family's holdings.

A warning to John Bull. THE DUTCH SHALL RISE AGAIN!!

Last edited by holly6; 18 May 07 at 00:44..
Old 19 May 07, 06:09
General of the Forums
Australia
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

150935 is on a distinguished road [300] 150935 is on a distinguished road [300] 150935 is on a distinguished road [300] 150935 is on a distinguished road [300] 150935 is on a distinguished road [300] 150935 is on a distinguished road [300] 150935 is on a distinguished road [300] 150935 is on a distinguished road [300] 150935 is on a distinguished road [300] 150935 is on a distinguished road [300] 150935 is on a distinguished road [300] 150935 is on a distinguished road [300] 150935 is on a distinguished road [300] 150935 is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by holly6 View Post
Without a doubt, September 1664! That most infamous of dates! The villianous Duke of York sent his henchmen to wrest the paradise of New Amsterdam from its legitimate owners and contaminate it with vile English cooties!!! I am eagerly anticipating the reparations check to pay for the loss of my family's holdings.

Well what your going to take France and Germany don't make me laugh
Old 19 May 07, 09:15
Brigadier General
Sweden
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 

Pergite is walking in the light [200] Pergite is walking in the light [200] Pergite is walking in the light [200] Pergite is walking in the light [200] Pergite is walking in the light [200] Pergite is walking in the light [200] Pergite is walking in the light [200] Pergite is walking in the light [200] Pergite is walking in the light [200] Pergite is walking in the light [200] Pergite is walking in the light [200] Pergite is walking in the light [200]
Favourite...?
*sigh*

Saint-Barthélemy, the pearl of the west indies and a part of the Kingdom of Sweden between 1785-1878. I dont understand how we ever could have sold that island to the French. The same goes for the area around the Delaware river that was known as "New Sweden", that was however taken over by force by those pesky dutch...
Old 19 May 07, 13:49
ACG Forums - Africanus Majoris
Netherlands
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign 

Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:

Manhattan a Dutch possession again! This opens wide vista's.
Actually quite appropriate that the inventors of modern capitalism (Amsterdam Stock Exchange, 1602) should repossess the heart of global capitalism once again and show the world what a few good Dutchmen can do ...

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Last edited by Colonel Sennef; 19 May 07 at 13:54..
Old 19 May 07, 14:18
Lieutenant General
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pergite View Post
Favourite...?
*sigh*

Saint-Barthélemy, the pearl of the west indies and a part of the Kingdom of Sweden between 1785-1878. I dont understand how we ever could have sold that island to the French. The same goes for the area around the Delaware river that was known as "New Sweden", that was however taken over by force by those pesky dutch...
You SOLD it to the French????? You should have picked up some rocks and sharpened a few sticks. You probably would have gotten Quebec in the Treaty!

I'm aware of the liberation of the Deleware. The locals still call the brief period of Dutch presence their "Age of Enlightenment".
Old 20 May 07, 05:44
Brigadier General
Sweden

Pergite is walking in the light [200] Pergite is walking in the light [200] Pergite is walking in the light [200] Pergite is walking in the light [200] Pergite is walking in the light [200] Pergite is walking in the light [200] Pergite is walking in the light [200] Pergite is walking in the light [200] Pergite is walking in the light [200] Pergite is walking in the light [200] Pergite is walking in the light [200] Pergite is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
You SOLD it to the French????? You should have picked up some rocks and sharpened a few sticks. You probably would have gotten Quebec in the Treaty!

I'm aware of the liberation of the Deleware. The locals still call the brief period of Dutch presence their "Age of Enlightenment".
"Nieuw Nederland", bah you guys cant even spell things right .
Anyway, I heard that the period of enlightement came to a abrupt halt once the English came and conquered the whole area and all autonomy vanished.

As for the French thing, somone important thought that the island was inhospitable and without strategic value (its now of course one of the worlds most exclusive luxury resorts). Besides, when we stopped dealing with slaves the whole colonial craze felt like it had passed. We still managed to retain all street and city names, as well as put our mark on that place coat of arms though:
Old 20 May 07, 10:22
Lieutenant General
United_States

Quote:
"Nieuw Nederland", bah you guys cant even spell things right .
Anyway, I heard that the period of enlightement came to a abrupt halt once the English came and conquered the whole area and all autonomy vanished.

As for the French thing, somone important thought that the island was inhospitable and without strategic value (its now of course one of the worlds most exclusive luxury resorts). Besides, when we stopped dealing with slaves the whole colonial craze felt like it had passed. We still managed to retain all street and city names, as well as put our mark on that place coat of arms though:
Thanks for the spelling lesson. In keeping with the modern spirit, I blame the schools, my parents, and society as a whole for failing me during my matriculation.

Let's review, you got to names the streets and buildings, and you contributed to a really cool logo. We, on the other hand, went on to capture the world's market in tulips and really stiff shoes.

What say we call this one a draw?
Old 20 May 07, 12:47
Brigadier General
Sweden

Quote:
Thanks for the spelling lesson. In keeping with the modern spirit, I blame the schools, my parents, and society as a whole for failing me during my matriculation.
It was not your spelling I remarked on, it was more of a general insult against dutch as a language . On the other hand, coming from Sweden I guess I shouldnt make jokes about that...

Old 20 May 07, 12:56
Netherlands
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign 

Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
It was not your spelling I remarked on, it was more of a general insult against dutch as a language . On the other hand, coming from Sweden I guess I shouldnt make jokes about that...
Exactly! And here is something to remind you :

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Last edited by Colonel Sennef; 20 May 07 at 13:35..
Old 20 May 07, 15:17
Brigadier General
Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsennef View Post
Exactly! And here is something to remind you :
I thought about an own pre-emptive posting of the Swedish Chef, but I felt that it wasnt fair to take away sombody elses pleasure like that.

Last edited by Pergite; 20 May 07 at 15:19..
Old 20 May 07, 16:08
Netherlands

Touche mon ami, you have me here.

Old 20 May 07, 20:19
ACG Author
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
A favorite moment in the American revolution is Washington's Newburgh address.

Washington had called his officers together to quell a mutinuous dispositon in the Army's lack of resourcing from the Continential Congress.

"Washington had come to the end of his prepared speech but his audience did not seem truly moved. He clearly had not achieved his end. He rememberd he had brought with him a reassuring letter from a congressman. He would read it. He pulled the paper from his pocket, and then something seemed to go wrong. The General seemed confused; he stared at the paper helplessly. The officers leaned forward, their hearts contracting with anxiety. Washington pulled from his pocket something only his intimates had seen hem wear: a pair of eyeglasses. "Gentlemen," he said, "you will permit me to put on my spectacles, for I have not only grown gray but almost blind in the service of my country."

Washington is great for what he did not do. He did not become King.

rna
Old 20 May 07, 21:40
ACG Forums - Guardiano di Roma
Pirate
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 
Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) SPQR Campaign 

Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
RN, could you possibly provide the text of that speech & a general description to that event? I'd like it added to the Reference: Great Speeches thread, if you could...

Thanx, my good friend!

ACG History Today

BoRG

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!