StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Warfare Through the Ages > Age of Pike and Shot

Notices and Announcements

Age of Pike and Shot 30 Years War, War of Spanish Succession, English Civil War, etc.

Old 28 Jan 06, 18:45
ACG Forums - Guardiano di Roma
Pirate
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 
Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) SPQR Campaign 

Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Question What are your favorite moments in the Age of Pike & Shot

Within the Age of Pike & Shot - 1450 through 1720 - what is/was your favorite period, or military occurrence???

And more interestingly... Why???

ACG History Today

BoRG

Last edited by Admiral; 20 Jul 07 at 08:04..
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 28 Jan 06, 19:59
ACG Forums - General Staff
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200]
The Pequot War
The English Civil Wars
King Philip's War
Bacon's Rebellion
King William's War
Old 28 Jan 06, 20:58
Pirate
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
And more interestingly... Why

ACG History Today

BoRG
Old 28 Jan 06, 22:11
First Sergeant
Turkey
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

fatih is on the path to success [1-99] fatih is on the path to success [1-99] fatih is on the path to success [1-99] fatih is on the path to success [1-99] fatih is on the path to success [1-99] fatih is on the path to success [1-99]
My favourite event is the conquest of Egypt by Sultan Selim 1517. He passed the Sina Desert to accomplish this objective. Before him, only Alexander the great passed that desert. After him Israeli Army would pass that desert following the same path that he had followed.
The night before they start the journey, he invites his commanders in his tent. As they were discussing the strategy to follow, one of his commanders tell him that passing the desert is not a good option and it would fail. At that moment Sultan Selim asks for a fatwa(religious law)from Sheikh ul Islam to execute this commander. He accuses his commander for damaging the moral of troops and other commanders. He calls this as high treason. Sheikh ul Islam grants the fatwa and the commander gets executed.
During their 2 week trip through the desert, soldiers start to disobey their orders and protest the desicions of Sultan. Sultan Selim makes a speech to his men and punishes the responsible COs. His actions against disobedience is still shown as a lesson of command psychology to young cadets in academy.
After 13 days they were out of desert. They fought against the Mamelukes in Ridaniyah January 22, 1517. They won the battle and on February 15, 1517, Sultan Selim enters Cairo. On February 20, 1517, during the Friday prayer, he was proclaimed as the Caliph(the leader of all Muslims).

Regards
Fatih
Old 29 Jan 06, 00:16
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral
And more interestingly... Why???
I didn't have time to go into that earlier. Basically I have a deep obsession with New England history, including it's military history, hence my inclusion of the Pequot War, King Philip's War, and King William's War in my list. I've started threads previously about the Pequot War and King Philip's War explaining a little of why I find these interesting.

The Pequot War

King Philip's War

The English Civil Wars I'm less familiar with, but I'm beginning to get more into them. Especially because of my interest in English Puritanism, which I find fascinating. I'm more familiar with the religious causes of the struggle.

Bacon's Rebellion is very interesting too. 1675-6 was not a good time for the colonies. At the same time New England was being decimated, Virginia was being torn apart as well, to a lesser extent.

Bacon's Rebellion
Old 29 Jan 06, 01:26
Pirate

A very interesting thread about Metacomet. I was barely able to visit when you guys discussed that one. So much was happening with me then that I missed alot that was of interest to me back then.

I don't mean to plow old ground, but I definately appreciate it, HG!

As I recall somebody here has some heritage dating back to this.

Can't remember who it is, though...

Thanx, my friend!

Admiral

ACG History Today

BoRG

Last edited by Admiral; 29 Jan 06 at 01:28..
Old 29 Jan 06, 01:51
United_States

Glad you found it interesting. That "somebody" was probably me. Jabez Howland, son of my 10th great-grandfather and Mayflower passenger John Howland, served with Capt. Benjamin Church (father of the rangers) during King Philip's War. I also have a few other ancestors that were living in towns (Taunton and Rehoboth) in Plymouth Colony that were attacked during the war, but have no official records of their service.
Old 30 Jan 06, 10:30
ACG Author
United_States

R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
My favorite moments during this period are the successive integrations of firearms, in weapons, formations and tactics, from Maurice of Nassau through Gustavus Adolphus. If one wants to talk about revolutions in military affairs and look at the ripple effect of new technologies, these "moments" in the period are a classic example.
Old 30 Jan 06, 10:35
General of the Forums
Hungary

Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Siege of Vienna, saved Europe from being overrun by the Ottomans. IMHO the most important battle in history.

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
http://www.mormon.org
http://www.sca.org
http://www.scv.org/
http://www.scouting.org/
Old 30 Jan 06, 14:00
ACG Author
United_States

R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janos
Siege of Vienna, saved Europe from being overrun by the Ottomans. IMHO the most important battle in history.
Ralph Peters in his "New Glory" believes that too.

Old 30 Jan 06, 16:16
Major General
United_States

JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200]
Although largely overlooked in the US education system, I would have to go with Poltava icluding the whole campaign leading up to it (1709 which would be the tail end of this period as it has been defined ). It marked the birth of the Russian tactic of falling back until logistics of the invader failed ( clearly neither Napoleon or Hitler studied it) and it totally changed the balance of power in Europe for the next 200 years.
Old 30 Jan 06, 16:38
ACG Author
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSMoss
Although largely overlooked in the US education system, I would have to go with Poltava icluding the whole campaign leading up to it (1709 which would be the tail end of this period as it has been defined ). It marked the birth of the Russian tactic of falling back until logistics of the invader failed ( clearly neither Napoleon or Hitler studied it) and it totally changed the balance of power in Europe for the next 200 years.
Apparently, Napoleon did read Charles XII's campaign. And Kleist was reading Napoleon's campaign during the invasion.
Old 30 Jan 06, 16:47
Major General
United_States

JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.N. Armstrong
Apparently, Napoleon did read Charles XII's campaign. And Kleist was reading Napoleon's campaign during the invasion.
Read perhaps, but not marked, learned and inwardly digested given in the end the both fell to similar strategies.
Old 30 Jan 06, 17:25
ACG Author
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSMoss
Read perhaps, but not marked, learned and inwardly digested given in the end the both fell to similar strategies.
Who ever said anyone learns from history.
Old 30 Jan 06, 17:29
Major General
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.N. Armstrong
Who ever said anyone learns from history.
Yeah but I am glad some of you keep writing it anyway. Of course my pet peeve with modern historian is: "When the heck did we decide maps have no place in military history books?"

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!