HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Warfare Through the Ages > The Medieval Era

Notices and Announcements

The Medieval Era Discussions on Knights and Crusaders, and all things medieval!

Old 28 Jan 06, 17:36
ACG Forums - Legatus Janitorus
Pirate
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon ACG Ten Year Service Award March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 
SPQR Campaign Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Question What are your favorite moments in the Medieval Era

Within the Medieval Era...

450ad through 1450 ad...

What is/was your favorite period, or military occurrence???

And more interestingly... Why???

ACG History Today

BoRG

Last edited by Admiral; 17 Apr 06 at 22:05..
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 28 Jan 06, 20:36
First Sergeant
Turkey
5 Year Service Ribbon 

fatih is on the path to success [1-99] fatih is on the path to success [1-99] fatih is on the path to success [1-99] fatih is on the path to success [1-99] fatih is on the path to success [1-99] fatih is on the path to success [1-99]
My favourite military event is the Turkish victory in Malazgirt against Byzantine Army on August 26, 1071.
Although the Turks were outnumbered by the army of Roman Diogenes, the brilliant command of Alparslan brought Turks the victory.
Turks entered and settled in Anatolia after this victory. We owe our today homeland Anatolia to this victory.
The tactics executed by Alparslan in this war are still shown in lessons of Turkish Military Academy.
Roman Diogenes were captured by Turks. Alparslan showed him hospitality as he had been his guest. Then he released him and send some guards to protect him on his way to Constantinopole. He arrived in the capital but imprisoned by his own people. He died after being heavily tortured.

Regards
Fatih
Old 28 Jan 06, 23:36
Second Lieutenant
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Pfc TAZ is on the path to success [1-99] Pfc TAZ is on the path to success [1-99] Pfc TAZ is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatih
My favourite military event is the Turkish victory in Malazgirt against Byzantine Army on August 26, 1071.
Although the Turks were outnumbered by the army of Roman Diogenes, the brilliant command of Alparslan brought Turks the victory.
Turks entered and settled in Anatolia after this victory. We owe our today homeland Anatolia to this victory.
The tactics executed by Alparslan in this war are still shown in lessons of Turkish Military Academy.
Roman Diogenes were captured by Turks. Alparslan showed him hospitality as he had been his guest. Then he released him and send some guards to protect him on his way to Constantinopole. He arrived in the capital but imprisoned by his own people. He died after being heavily tortured.

Regards
Fatih
True, it was one of the most important battles in history. One that changed the balance of power in the region in a big way. I think it is similar to Teutoburger Wald for the Romans. The defeat that could not be overcome. It was the beginning of the Byzantines slow slide to defeat.
"Nations are never content to confine their rivalships and enmities to themselves. It is their usual policy to disseminate them as widely, as they can, regardless how far it may interfere with the tranquility or happiness of the nations which they are able to influence." -- Alexander Hamilton

Last edited by Pfc TAZ; 28 Jan 06 at 23:43..
Old 28 Jan 06, 23:40
Second Lieutenant
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Pfc TAZ is on the path to success [1-99] Pfc TAZ is on the path to success [1-99] Pfc TAZ is on the path to success [1-99]
My personal favorite period is the Crusades. An event that changed both Western Europe and the Middle East. It doesn't mater how you look at the Crusades politically, they have all the big personalities and events that make history interesting.
"Nations are never content to confine their rivalships and enmities to themselves. It is their usual policy to disseminate them as widely, as they can, regardless how far it may interfere with the tranquility or happiness of the nations which they are able to influence." -- Alexander Hamilton
Old 29 Jan 06, 01:00
Pirate
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon ACG Ten Year Service Award March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 
SPQR Campaign Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 

Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I've always found that the Crusades were, and still are full of much mystery & intrigue. Much yet unanswered or discovered.

ACG History Today

BoRG
Old 30 Jan 06, 04:08
General of the Forums
Hungary
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700]
My favorites:

451 AD - Chalons, Aetius defeats the Huns at the head of Roman-Visigoth coalition

895 AD - The Hungarians take Hungary

1241 AD - Batu Khan defeats the Hungarians on the Sajo River

1453 AD - Fall of Constantinople

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
http://www.mormon.org
http://www.sca.org
http://www.scv.org/
http://www.scouting.org/
Old 30 Jan 06, 04:09
General of the Forums
Hungary

Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral
I've always found that the Crusades were, and still are full of much mystery & intrigue. Much yet unanswered or discovered.

So many people see them as an offensive against the Muslims, but they were in fact a counter-offensive following the fall of Spain and decades (centuries) of attacks on Christian sites in the middle east.

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
Old 30 Jan 06, 06:57
Pirate

I've know several teachers/professors that have argued the point with me in that the Crusades were all about revenge - as though everything before them was the natural state of things. Me being me... the argument could never end with their view as completely prevailing. Othen the others in the argument would begin in unison of that view, but before the discussions died out, some would have found much of their arguments to be on sandy soil in regard.

Sometimes I don't know when to keep me mouth shut they'd say afterwards.

Hmmm... probably right about that...

A fine mornin to ya, Jeff! (Erm... more like evenin, eh)

ACG History Today

BoRG
Old 30 Jan 06, 07:03
General of the Forums
Hungary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral
I've know several teachers/professors that have argued the point with me in that the Crusades were all about revenge - as though everything before them was the natural state of things. Me being me... the argument could never end with their view as completely prevailing. Othen the others in the argument would begin in unison of that view, but before the discussions died out, some would have found much of their arguments to be on sandy soil in regard.

Sometimes I don't know when to keep me mouth shut they'd say afterwards.

Hmmm... probably right about that...

A fine mornin to ya, Jeff! (Erm... more like evenin, eh)

Darned anti-Western professors!

Actually, it's about 1300 here.

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
Old 30 Jan 06, 09:17
ACG Author
United_States

R.N. Armstrong is a jewel in the rough [500]
R.N. Armstrong is a jewel in the rough [500] R.N. Armstrong is a jewel in the rough [500] R.N. Armstrong is a jewel in the rough [500] R.N. Armstrong is a jewel in the rough [500] R.N. Armstrong is a jewel in the rough [500] R.N. Armstrong is a jewel in the rough [500] R.N. Armstrong is a jewel in the rough [500]
Agincourt. I like the stand of an outnumbered army using the firepower of the longbow to defeat an armored cavalry force. It seems that some of the macro shifts in military history come when the infantry learns to stand against mobile forces.

Old 03 Feb 06, 02:26
Gunnery Sergeant
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Mad Cow is on the path to success [1-99] Mad Cow is on the path to success [1-99]
Robert Bruce at Bannockburn, defeating an English knight in man to man combat.

The Black Prince, Edward at Poitiers. A great and total victory, capturing the French King John and his son, and many leading French nobles, after routing a vastly superior Frnech army. If the Black Prince does not die prematurely to illness, his weak son Richard II does not come to the throne at the age of 10 and John of Gaunt's (The Black Prince's younger brother) son, Henry Bolingbrook, does not depose the young King, begining the Lancaster dynasty, and then maybe no War of the Roses and no York dynasty, no Victoria.

The entire story of Joan of Arc. Among the most amazing stories in recorded history.

The battle of Hattin. How did those Crusaders blind themselves into marching into this disaster?
Old 13 Feb 06, 09:05
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Model Forum Group Build Greatest Westerns Campaign 

Dolley is a pillar of the community [1100] Dolley is a pillar of the community [1100]
Dolley is a pillar of the community [1100] Dolley is a pillar of the community [1100] Dolley is a pillar of the community [1100] Dolley is a pillar of the community [1100] Dolley is a pillar of the community [1100] Dolley is a pillar of the community [1100] Dolley is a pillar of the community [1100] Dolley is a pillar of the community [1100] Dolley is a pillar of the community [1100] Dolley is a pillar of the community [1100] Dolley is a pillar of the community [1100] Dolley is a pillar of the community [1100] Dolley is a pillar of the community [1100]
I like the battle in Teutoburg Forest between the Romans and Germanians.

Takes place in the 9th year, and the Germanic people stopped Varus and his men.

Rome got it handed to them in this battle. They were disorganized, and I think, not a little arrogant.
Old 19 Feb 06, 15:27
Gunnery Sergeant
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Mad Cow is on the path to success [1-99] Mad Cow is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolley
I like the battle in Teutoburg Forest between the Romans and Germanians.

Takes place in the 9th year, and the Germanic people stopped Varus and his men.

Rome got it handed to them in this battle. They were disorganized, and I think, not a little arrogant.

Good one, though I don't think that is technically considered Medieval, I think that was the Classical period. Augustus was Caesar at the time, iirc.
Old 06 Apr 06, 05:14
General of the Forums
Hungary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cow
Good one, though I don't think that is technically considered Medieval, I think that was the Classical period. Augustus was Caesar at the time, iirc.
Right.

Any other favorite moments?

How 'bout Henry VIII? The Fall of Constantinople? The Battle on the Ice? Invasions of England in 1066? Sterling Bridge? Discovery of Vinland or Greenland by the Vikings?

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
Old 06 Apr 06, 06:25
Brigadier General
Poland
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Draco Borealis is walking in the light [200] Draco Borealis is walking in the light [200] Draco Borealis is walking in the light [200] Draco Borealis is walking in the light [200] Draco Borealis is walking in the light [200] Draco Borealis is walking in the light [200] Draco Borealis is walking in the light [200] Draco Borealis is walking in the light [200] Draco Borealis is walking in the light [200] Draco Borealis is walking in the light [200] Draco Borealis is walking in the light [200] Draco Borealis is walking in the light [200] Draco Borealis is walking in the light [200]
The battle of Grunwald/Tannenberg 1410. between the Teutonic Knights Order/western volunteer Knights-guests and forcess of Kingdom of Poland and Grand Principality of Lithuania. this battle braked the back of the Order and led to foundation Of Rzeczpospolita Obojga Narodów the Confederacy and later Federal (republic) state (1569) of Poland, Lithuania,Latwia,Belarus and Ukraine, which ruled the Eastern Europe from XV to XVII century, and was couter balance for Germany and Russia.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!