StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Korean War

Notices and Announcements

Korean War The Korean War (1950 - 53)

Old 13 Jun 12, 20:59
Recruit
UK

Crossover is a balanced individual [0]
My uncle was in the Gloustershire regiment and fought at Gloster hill, he escaped the Chinese and was shot in the shoulder by an American tank when he got back to allied lines. The family in the UK received the telegram saying he was missing in action but he was in hospital in Japan. He left the army after this as he was classed as unfit for duty.
He is dead know but was very proud of what they had done.
Old 20 Jun 12, 15:21
Major
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99] 17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99] 17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99] 17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99] 17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99] 17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99] 17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99]
My father was 17 when World War II ended. He had worked as a logger and farmer in Southern Kentucky. Dad went in the U.S. Army in 1950 soon after the war started. He was among the 1st group drafted for Korea.

He was trained to opperate the DUKW amphibious trucks.

Dad arrived in Korea in 1951 and was assigned to B Battery 17th Field Artillery. They had 8" howitzers. By the time he left Korea he was a crew chief of one of the guns.

He was amazed that any one could have survived in the areas they blasted.

He was in Korea for the second winter of the war. He said by that time they had pretty good cold weather gear, but it was still increadable cold. Got down to minus 50!

Dad got there in April 1951. His unit was in Seoul. The Chinese Red Army and North Korean Army where making a big push to recapture Seoul. He said they set up their howitzers in a school yard and fired in support of units defending Seoul. They must have done a good job, UN forces held onto Seoul!

Dad often talks about firing on "Old Baldy". It must have been a key hill. There was a "Battle of Old Baldy" but that was after he had come home.

When Dad came back from Korea his ship docked in Seattle. he took a train to Camp Atteberry in Indiana. He still talks about how wild the country around the tracks was. It was untouched by civilization in many areas except the Rail Road. He said you would see deer and bears and antellop. Even now 60 years latter he still fondly remembers that trip home!
Old 20 Jun 12, 17:32
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500]
skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500]
As I posted earlier, my youngest Uncle was an Army Medic. He was also unarmed thru '51 and most of '52 as he was a C.O. and did not believe in killing. One day, he armed himself with a 1911 to protect those under his care and continued to carry until he went home.

Gentlemen,
Please pass this on to the fine men you've all mentioned in this thread.
Old 24 Jun 12, 22:00
Major
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99] 17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99] 17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99] 17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99] 17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99] 17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99] 17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thfabn View Post

Dad arrived in Korea in 1951 and was assigned to B Battery 17th Field Artillery. They had 8" howitzers. By the time he left Korea he was a crew chief of one of the guns.

!
My dad said many times they had shortages of artillery ammo, so had to limit how much they fired a day.

I've read many times that the fire power of the UN especially the U.S. Army saved us in Korea.

My Dad got there about the time the lines started to stabilize. In many ways they started to revert to trench warafare similar to World War I. This static fighting was ideal for the artillery.
Old 06 Jul 12, 15:02
Recruit
United_States

shellistar2 is on the path to success [1-99]
My Dad

Hi,
My dad served in the Army, Pfc. L Company 31st Infantry, 7th Division. He was in Korea from June or July 1950 - Jun 1951. He fought at 2 landings (he only remembers the name of one, Inchon), some other battle (again name forgotten) and at the Chosin Reservoir. He was sent home after being hit with a grenade in May/Jun 1951.

At Chosin he was with Task Force Faith until the column was stopped at the 2 tanks (Final roadblock). He says him and a bunch of guys who were left ran across a railroad trestle to the Marines. He said he tried to get them to send out people to the column and was told they already did (I have never heard of this being true - neither has my dad) and they sent him to a tent to sleep and eat. He was shocked the Marine at Hagaru-ri had HOT food, something he had not had in 3 or 4 days, they also had an airstrip to fly out wounded and receive supplies - the Army did not.

A few hours later he again tried to get the Marines to lead a group out, but was told it was too late. He was then sent to the front lines (yep! my dad still believes Gen(?) Smith wanted them to all die so they couldn't talk) of the Marine base with all the other Army guys who had made it to Hagaru-ri. He then says they were put on the front lines to breakout to Koto-ri, this is when he was shot the first time. It went thru his left hand, my dad being right handed, kept fighting. He was then shot in the upper chest, came out by his neck. He was trucked back to Hagaru-ri to fly out, but had just missed the last flight. He was then tossed on a truck with more wounded and trucked out. He said 10 guys or so were on top of him, but he didn't complain because he was warm.

He was hit by the grenade a few months later, different battle. He has a purple heart, but no leafs even though he was injured in 2 separate battles. He submitted a friend for a silver star I believe - Stanley Anderson and Stanley is mentioned in Appleton's book - my dad was fighting right next to him.

Thanks,
Shelli
Sponsored Links

Old 10 Jul 12, 22:08
Banned
United_States

WWIIWWIpilot is on the path to success [1-99] WWIIWWIpilot is on the path to success [1-99] WWIIWWIpilot is on the path to success [1-99]
My grandfather (Who died when I was 3 by a heart problem) he was drafted but before that he worked on the railroads so when he got to Japan. The people there needed someone to maintain the railroads so who did it? My grandfather.. He was in occpuied Japan for 18 months when he finally came home
Old 11 Jul 12, 01:44
Banned
United_States

tuntavern1983 is on the path to success [1-99] tuntavern1983 is on the path to success [1-99]
I had an uncle who was in the Navy during the Korean War. I don't know what ship he was on, but I don't think he saw a lot of action. The other family members were either WWII or Vietnam veterans.
Old 30 Jun 17, 15:48
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

lakechampainer is simply cracking [600]
lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600]
repost of picture of envelope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakechampainer View Post
My sister found this envelope which was sent to my Uncle Gil, who was an armorer in Korea (the second paragraph in my earlier posted I quoted). It confirms the unit he was in, which was the 3rd Infantry Division, at least at this point. Not the 7th division as I had thought. I'm ASSUMING that when he was lost behind the lines he was in the 703rd Ord. M. Company. Thumbnail photo below.

Details on the envelope:

Addressed to :

Cpl. Gilbert Dubuque RA 11182891
703rd Ord. M. Company
3rd. Inf. Division
APO 468 c/o Postmaster
San Francisco, California

The address was lined out, and someone wrote in

Returning to the U.S.
(with the home address below)

the postal cancellation was "Boston, MASS. SEP 12 430PM 1951"

someone also wrote in 28/9/51

it was sent via air mail

There was no letter in the envelope. It was apparently sent to my Uncle Gil by my Uncle Bob, his younger brother.

I ASSUME he was returned home after serving 12 months in the war zone.

Below is a link a find to a site/page on the 703rd Company. No mention of my uncle, not surprisingly. He died in the late 90's.

http://www.koreanwar.org/html/units/703ord.htm

Below is a link to a site about the 3rd infantry division.

http://www.stewart.army.mil/units/history.asp

Wikipedia article on 3rd infantry division

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3rd_Inf...ited_States%29

Below is a link to the Wikipedia article on M1 carbine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1_carbine

Below is a link to the Wikipedia article on "armourer"
I would ASSUME my uncle's MOS was 511

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armourer
Repost of picture of envelope
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010842.jpg (394.9 KB, 2 views)
Old 30 Jun 17, 16:59
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janos View Post
My Dad was at Wonsan, too. He was a Seaman Apprentice or a Seaman at the time...he had just joined the Navy and served as a "Radio Talker", I think. Doubt he knew your Dad, given different ships and different ranks.

USS Chief http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/s...sh-c/am315.htm
A new post in this old thread had me going back through it. It dawned on me that all three of our fathers were involved in the same landing. My father landed with the 7th Infantry Division and your fathers were in there in ships in the naval forces.

If your dad's were also present at Inchon then that would be twice they were all co-located.

Of course there are a few others who mentioned family who fought at Chosin most of them would have been present at Wonsan at the same time.
Old 07 Jul 17, 21:21
Sergeant
United_States

Redeye is on the path to success [1-99] Redeye is on the path to success [1-99] Redeye is on the path to success [1-99]
I wasn't here when this thread started but no reason to let it die. I had two uncles in Korea, one from each side of my family. One was in a mortar squad and was involved in some of the heavy fighting with the Chinese. He said they fired the mortars so much during the big night attacks that it would drive the base plate down into the frozen ground. They would have to dig it out and reset in the morning. He also talked about the windrows of dead in the morning after some of those attacks. I don't know who he was with or where he was. He is gone now so I can't ask him.

The other uncle was younger and I think he got there after the truce. He would never say much about it except to curse the army.
Old 08 Jul 17, 13:25
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]  [+1]
Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Brother-in-Law in S1 with the 7th Inf, lightly wounded while on patrol.

Cousin, tank commander with 1st Cav. Wounded in the legs. Later enlisted in the Sea Bee's to go to Nam. D5 got blown out from under him while doing Roman Plow work in I Crop. We were going to meet up but his wounds got him sent home before a meet up.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

'half-baked, spurious nationalism'

Last edited by Half Pint John; 09 Jul 17 at 05:08..
Old 09 Jul 17, 02:44
ACG Forums - Field Marshal
Pirate
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft SPQR Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
My father: aviation ordnance with Marine Air Group 33
Old 09 Jul 17, 12:42
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Mountain Man has disabled reputation
Father fought there, and I served there six years later in the Occupation Army.

Now I find myself wondering why we are STILL there.
Old 09 Jul 17, 13:37
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

lirelou gives and gets respect [800]
lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800]
Mountain Man, that is interesting. Did you get a Army of Occupation Medal. I always thought that the Occupation ended with the ROK government was created, or when that last US combat troops departed to Japan in June 1949, leaving behind only KMAG.

As for why we are still there, that is good question seeing that the Republic of Korea is quite capable of defending itself, at least prior to the "Bongo" transportable nuke. The High and Mighty liked to emphasize the "need" of our continued land presence on the (East) Asian continent in order to ensure their continued economic development and transition to democracies.

Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá ǵ!
Old 07 Sep 17, 23:39
Captain
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

NoPref has demonstrated strength of character [100] NoPref has demonstrated strength of character [100] NoPref has demonstrated strength of character [100] NoPref has demonstrated strength of character [100] NoPref has demonstrated strength of character [100] NoPref has demonstrated strength of character [100] NoPref has demonstrated strength of character [100] NoPref has demonstrated strength of character [100] NoPref has demonstrated strength of character [100] NoPref has demonstrated strength of character [100] NoPref has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Everyone in my family who served had done so in WWII. One uncle had stayed in the Navy, but he spent the Korean War on the East Coast, same as he had done in WWII.

My wife's father had graduated from college with a Civil Engineering degree in May 1950. Since he'd been in ROTC he was commissioned as a 2LT (Engineer Branch) in June 1950 and got sent to Korea in July (exact dates unknown). He arrived in Busan and was initially assigned to take a platoon of infantry replacements to the perimeter but was reassigned to an 8th Army HQ cartography unit due to his degree and drafting skills. Nothing exciting happened, just long days making maps for a couple of years. The highlight of the war for him was seeing Bob Hope at a USO show.
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!