StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Korean War

Notices and Announcements

Korean War The Korean War (1950 - 53)

Old 26 May 12, 10:15
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

lakechampainer is simply cracking [600]
lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakechampainer View Post
I had two uncles in the Korean War. My father was in the CIC in Korea in 1946 and in the reserves during the war. One of my father's brothers, who was born about 1930, was stationed in Hawaii and had about 10 days before going home when the war broke out- I think in the 25th division. Obviously he did not get to go home. He was in Korea sometime in August or September. He went with the 8th Army up South Korea into North Korea. By the end of his time there he was the platoon sergeant, only three of the original platoon left. He was lucky in terms of direct injury, just had a shrapnel wound to his hand, but didn't put in paperwork because he didn't want my grandmother to worry. He did suffer circulatory damage to his legs from being outside in the extreme cold so much. He has told me about how beers would sell for a $100 a bottle when there was going to be a battle the next day. He gave his to his friends because he was not a drinker. Next time I see him I am going to ask him some specific questions, but generally he does not talk about his experiences. Talked a little to me about his experiences when my father died.

One of my mother's brothers, born about 1930, was an armorer in the army. He served in the X Corps, I don't know his unit, although I would guess he was in or attached to the 7th division. He went around in a jeep with a workshop in back and repaired small arms in the field. He had excellent mechanical skills like his father, as farmboys often do (my mother and aunts and uncles spent summers on the farm in Vermont, my mother and this uncle were born there). He was caught behind the lines and my grandparents got a telegram before Christmas saying he was missing in action. He eventually made his way back to the lines after two weeks. At one point he tried to hook up with some Marines but was told "We're sorry, we have all we can do to take care of our own". Around 1972 he and my aunt adopted a Korean girl who was about a year old. My cousin is doing well. My uncle died in 1996, he didn't like to talk about the war. When I see my aunt again I'm going to see if she has any information she can share with me.

My father was in the reserves in army intelligence at the start of the war. In 1949 he and others in his unit took a course to become intelligence officers (as opposed to counterintelligence officers). In 1950 he was promoted to 1st LT .At some point, I think 1951, he was transferred to the Transportation Corps. His final rank was Captain, in 1960 or 1961. In 1946 he was in Korea as a CIC officer(2nd LT), trained in Japanese language and area and Counterintelligence. He went on missions and then was the CIC officer in a prefect/region where the police officials had to report to him. I asked him once if there was ever any talk of him being called up during the Korean War to go to Korea, he never really answered. It was probably for the best he wasn't called up because most likely it would have been a different, more brutal type of service than what he was involved with in 1946, in terms of dealing with suspected agents, POWs, etc. in a very tough manner (Actually I think the tough behavior started in 1947 or 1948, Air Force intelligence working with South Korean Police, on internet). My father later in life took up the hobby of re-studying the Japanese Language and people. At one point in the early 90's he made friends with a Japanese government official who was studying at Harvard for a year or two. I don't think he was particularly interested in present day Korea. The last couple of years of his life he loved to watch MASH every day.

He loved the episodes with the crazy intelligence officer Colonel Flagg. He especially loved the episode with the other crazy intelligence officer, when the two played a cat-and-mouse game with each other. He always laughed out loud at that. He also loved the episode where General MacArthur came for an inspection and then just drove through the camp. My father met the General once, at a play or some performance in Tokyo. He said everyone stood up, of course, and the General spoke to the officers there briefly, and while inspecting/greeting my father, he said something like "Lieutenant, I see you're in Intelligence. The eyes and ears of the military". When my father told the story he tried to do it in MacArthur's voice.

My late father -in- law was in the Navy in the South Pacific in WW II. During the Korean War he worked as a civilian in the Pentagon in the library where maps and photos were kept.

My sister found this envelope which was sent to my Uncle Gil, who was an armorer in Korea (the second paragraph in my earlier posted I quoted). It confirms the unit he was in, which was the 3rd Infantry Division, at least at this point. Not the 7th division as I had thought. I'm ASSUMING that when he was lost behind the lines he was in the 703rd Ord. M. Company. Thumbnail photo below.

Details on the envelope:

Addressed to :

Cpl. Gilbert Dubuque RA 11182891
703rd Ord. M. Company
3rd. Inf. Division
APO 468 c/o Postmaster
San Francisco, California

The address was lined out, and someone wrote in

Returning to the U.S.
(with the home address below)

the postal cancellation was "Boston, MASS. SEP 12 430PM 1951"

someone also wrote in 28/9/51

it was sent via air mail

There was no letter in the envelope. It was apparently sent to my Uncle Gil by my Uncle Bob, his younger brother.

I ASSUME he was returned home after serving 12 months in the war zone.

Below is a link a find to a site/page on the 703rd Company. No mention of my uncle, not surprisingly. He died in the late 90's.

http://www.koreanwar.org/html/units/703ord.htm

Below is a link to a site about the 3rd infantry division.

http://www.stewart.army.mil/units/history.asp

Wikipedia article on 3rd infantry division

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3rd_Inf...ited_States%29

Below is a link to the Wikipedia article on M1 carbine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1_carbine

Below is a link to the Wikipedia article on "armourer"
I would ASSUME my uncle's MOS was 511

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armourer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010842.jpg (394.9 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by lakechampainer; 26 May 12 at 11:47..
Old 26 May 12, 21:52
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900]
rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900]
My pop was in the Army,he said mostly he froze his tail off.He was in the Army Air Force,trained as a pilot,then went directly instead to the Army. He says he pretty much was an MP. But he said it was as cold as heck there. He said he'd never forget that as long as he lived. He still has that feeling,he cannot ever get warm,even in the summer.
Old 27 May 12, 08:13
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebpreacher View Post
My pop was in the Army,he said mostly he froze his tail off.He was in the Army Air Force,trained as a pilot,then went directly instead to the Army. He says he pretty much was an MP. But he said it was as cold as heck there. He said he'd never forget that as long as he lived. He still has that feeling,he cannot ever get warm,even in the summer.
I salute your father's service, Kirk.
Old 27 May 12, 11:21
First Lieutenant
United_States

mimike is on the path to success [1-99] mimike is on the path to success [1-99] mimike is on the path to success [1-99] mimike is on the path to success [1-99] mimike is on the path to success [1-99] mimike is on the path to success [1-99] mimike is on the path to success [1-99]
My dad worked for Spartian Air in Tulsa OK. They refurbished Douglas B-26's.
Old 27 May 12, 20:20
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900]
rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900]
He thanks you Tony,he's in my home at the moment,so is mom. He's still quite a character,as is my gramps(his dad) My gramps served in WWII-From 1942-1945. He was in the service in 1938,and served total from 1938 til late 1948. He knew Korea was coming,and his family was growing,and my dad was about to probably be called for Korea. He was in 1950 at the age of 18. Pop served til 1963. He saw 2 years of the Vietnam war. He had an opportunity to retire,and took it. Just like Gramps did. We love teasing mom and daddy about my younger brother. We have a very tight-knit family,and it shows. Thanks to you Tony.

Quote:
I salute your father's service, Kirk.
Old 27 May 12, 20:27
General of the Forums
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Tinkered at the skunkworks...

I inherited his tools...

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman
Old 27 May 12, 23:11
General of the Forums
United_States

I salute your grandfather also, Kirk.
Old 28 May 12, 00:18
Corporal
Canada

Ubermensche is on the path to success [1-99]
My grandfather fought for the Chinese. But other than that I really don't know more about his service, he never told me any of his stories unfortunately, but it'd be really nice and interesting to hear something from the other side.
Old 28 May 12, 10:54
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400]
My grandfather didn't serve over in Korea, but he was in the the U.S. Air Force at the time. He was a radioman on large bombers.

-Matt

Fervently PRO-TRUMP, anti-Islam and anti-Steelers!
Old 30 May 12, 13:16
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600]
jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600]
My fathers Brother was first Marine division at the Chosin..........he said he walked out of there with not much except frostbite..........
Sponsored Links

Old 01 Jun 12, 20:02
Sergeant Major
United_States

Gencallan has disabled reputation
Dear ole dad was sent to Tripoli, Libya, to a fighter squadron. He jump started his Air Force career as a supply Sgt. They were still nervous about the CCCP attacking in Europe.
Old 02 Jun 12, 15:51
Captain
UK

Scupio is on the path to success [1-99] Scupio is on the path to success [1-99] Scupio is on the path to success [1-99] Scupio is on the path to success [1-99] Scupio is on the path to success [1-99] Scupio is on the path to success [1-99] Scupio is on the path to success [1-99]
Not a relative but my old boss.

Was a Battery Commander Royal Artillery in Korea.

On the day of the Armistice, his battery were to fire three last smoke shells - white, red and blue.

The Army anxious that the shells should not become trophies collected all three.

However, they did not know that the crew had switched them! A well polished original adorns his Living Room!
Old 02 Jun 12, 21:25
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500]
skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500]
One Uncle who was Army medic.
Old 03 Jun 12, 00:14
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Greatest Blunders Campaign 

Naffenea is simply cracking [600]
Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600]
My father in law was a baker and truck driver.
Old 05 Jun 12, 22:46
General of the Forums
United_States

We thank you Tony.

Quote:
I salute your grandfather also, Kirk.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!