StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Korean War

Notices and Announcements

Korean War The Korean War (1950 - 53)

Old 22 Dec 05, 13:38
Corporal
United_States

TheBigRedOne is on the path to success [1-99]
What did your relative(s) do in Korea?

Hope this is appropriate...

I'm sure many of us had family members who were involved in the Korean War in some way. How about we talk a bit about what they did...

My father was in the 3rd ID in Korea (drafted) in '51-52. He was a half-track mounted Quad 40 gunner. He spent most of his time off the line as a security detail for an artillery detachment as well as being stationed near a MASH unit from time to time. Luckily he didn't see much of the horrible fighting that occured there. He never really talked much about it until I started to get more interested in military stuff 5+ years ago. His memory can't recall specifically where he was, but he does remember just how *cold* it was there in the winter. He's said that he never felt that kind of cold before or since, and he lives in Cleveland.
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 22 Dec 05, 14:02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200]
My father way in the 7th Inf Div. He participated in trhe Inchon landing and the drives across Korea and up to the Yalu. He was a member of a heavy weapons company that was cut off with the Army units East of the Chosin refered to in the Chosin post... Three members of his company made it to the evacuation on the coast.

He was lucky being over six feet tall and highly thought of by his company commander he had been transfered to an honor guard detail at 10th Corps a couple of days before the Chinese opened their offensive.

From a small rural county in south Georgia with a population at the time of only a couple of thousand my father has in the past mentioned four people he knew who were part of the task force. Two survived the war after being made POW's. Another starved since as one of his companions stated he just would not eat those fish heads they gave us.
Old 22 Dec 05, 16:39
Major
United_States

w john spurrell has demonstrated strength of character [100] w john spurrell has demonstrated strength of character [100] w john spurrell has demonstrated strength of character [100] w john spurrell has demonstrated strength of character [100] w john spurrell has demonstrated strength of character [100] w john spurrell has demonstrated strength of character [100] w john spurrell has demonstrated strength of character [100] w john spurrell has demonstrated strength of character [100]
My uncle Joe was with Chesty at the Chosin.
Old 24 Dec 05, 19:21
Brigadier General
United_States

Jon@lbc is on the path to success [1-99] Jon@lbc is on the path to success [1-99]
Well, my one grandfather was a drafter in Japan during the korean war. My other grandfather was training to be an infantyman, but the war eneded before that could happen. Pretty boring military history, actually. Although, I heard that one of my great uncles was in the battle of ghettysburg.
Old 24 Dec 05, 19:36
ACG Forum Staff
United_States

Leatherneck has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by w john spurrell
My uncle Joe was with Chesty at the Chosin.
Same here as well, but I have no clue what he do in Korea that I had hard time to track some relatives down to find out what he do in Korea and when he came back to the state in either 1952 or 1953, he was actually an DI for little while until he was order back to Korea, but he was killed in Car accident in outside of San Diego (Orange, Cal.). I gotta find good information about him soon.
Old 28 Dec 05, 09:32
ACG Author
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
My father was a maintenance airman on Okinawa serving bombers on runs over Korea.
Old 07 Jan 06, 12:45
Lieutenant General
Canada
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200]
My grandfather was in intelligence and the scientific arm of the military back here in Canada. Worked on cold weather clothing for troops and stuff like that.
Old 07 Jan 06, 13:09
Major
Canada

horatio_nelson is on the path to success [1-99] horatio_nelson is on the path to success [1-99]
One of my relatives was a chaplain in the Canadian army. He helped sponser a Korean boy's education and other aspects of his life.

I'll have to check for what my other relatives did...

-Vice-Admiral Horatio Nelson, 1st Viscount Nelson, Duke of Bronte, KB, RN
Old 09 Jan 06, 19:58
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200]
Had a chance to talk with my father some more recently
Old 09 Jan 06, 20:07
Colonel
United_States

Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100]
My father was drafted June 1951 and took Basic training at Fort Dix NJ.

His brother-in-law, my Uncle Walter, was his Drill Sergeant.

He served at Fort Hamilton, NY as an MP for 1st Army HQ.
Sponsored Links

Old 10 Jan 06, 08:15
General of the Forums
Canada
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500]
tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500]
My dad served with the "Vandoos" (Royal 22ieme Regt) as a platoon sergeant from late 1952-- late 53.
I've already related how he lost the ligament in his nose on this forum.

Last edited by tigersqn; 10 Jan 06 at 08:17..
Old 10 Jan 06, 12:05
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widow Maker
My father way in the 7th Inf Div. He participated in trhe Inchon landing and the drives across Korea and up to the Yalu. He was a member of a heavy weapons company that was cut off with the Army units East of the Chosin refered to in the Chosin post... Three members of his company made it to the evacuation on the coast.

He was lucky being over six feet tall and highly thought of by his company commander he had been transfered to an honor guard detail at 10th Corps a couple of days before the Chinese opened their offensive.

From a small rural county in south Georgia with a population at the time of only a couple of thousand my father has in the past mentioned four people he knew who were part of the task force. Two survived the war after being made POW's. Another starved since as one of his companions stated he just would not eat those fish heads they gave us.
I spoke to my father since making the post above. He knew Col Faith (see the Chosin Post) personally. In his position as driver/radioman for a company commander he saw Col Faith, who was the battalion commander) daily and was present at many of the meetings and planning sessions held by the battalion during the fighting prior to the Chosin campaign.

He was in the heavy weapons company of the 1st Battalion, 32nd Regiment, 7th Inf Division.

His company commander was Capt Garrett a veteran of WWII. Before the unit left Japan Garrett selected my father from a group of replacements to be his driver/radioman. He did this because he had served with another soldier named Underwood in WWII that he had thought very highly of.

Just a few little quips that some of you might find entertaining.

After the X Corps invaded at Inchon they were pulled out and launched another amphibious assault further north on the east coast. For political and propaganda reasons the ROK forces landed first and the Marines landed the next day. Between these two landings Bob Hope set up a stage and greeted the Marines on the beach with a USO show. It sort of blew the photo opportunity for the Marines and their brass was mad as hell about it. So was my father since he didn't land until the next day and missed the show.

In the advance towards the Yalu the portion of the 1/32 my father was with was briefly delayed by an ememy blocking position. His company was exchanging mortar fire with the enemy. While moving by jeep to check with forward units
my father and his commander came under rifle fire. They had stopped by the side of the road and his commander and a Tech SGT had dismounted for some reason. When the firing started CPT Garrett and the SGT took cover in the ditch on one side of the road. My father not wanting to leave "his" jeep in the open pulled it behind a "honey wagon" (a fertilizer wagon full of human manure). The wagon with the jeep behind it drew a geat deal of the incoming small arms fire. My father stated that; "They couldn't hit me but I hear the round thumping into the manure. It stirred the stuff up pretty good and in a few minutes it was smelling to high heavens. The stink reminded me of our C-rations and since I couldn't move from behind the wagon I just used the time to eat."

When the block was cleared the Koreans firing on them withdrew. CPT Garrett had been concerned about the amount of fire my father was drawing and was pretty ticked-off when he found his teenage driver parked behind the fertilizer wagon with his feet up calmly having lunch. The Tech SGT thought it was hilarious and spread the story though the unit.

More later.
Old 10 Jan 06, 12:20
Major General
United_States

JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200]
My Dad was a young naval officer commanding a mine sweeper. His most significant action was running close inshore to clear mines in Inchon Harbor prior to the invaision.
Old 17 Jan 06, 11:30
General of the Forums
Hungary
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSMoss
My Dad was a young naval officer commanding a mine sweeper. His most significant action was running close inshore to clear mines in Inchon Harbor prior to the invaision.
JSMoss - what's your Dad's name?

My Dad served on a minesweeper (USS Chief or Defense, he was on both at one point or another). He was also at Inchon.

My Stepdad was in the US Army, not sure what he did.

My father in law was a MSG in the ROK Army.

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
http://www.mormon.org
http://www.sca.org
http://www.scv.org/
http://www.scouting.org/
Old 17 Jan 06, 11:37
General of the Forums
Canada

LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900]
LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900]
My own family missed that party.

Grandfather saw WW2, had uncles in navy, but no Korean exploits.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!