StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Warfare Through the Ages > Age of Pike and Shot

Notices and Announcements

Age of Pike and Shot 30 Years War, War of Spanish Succession, English Civil War, etc.

Old 01 Sep 08, 14:12
ACG Forums - Africanus Majoris
Israel
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign 

Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
coming to Sweden

Welcome to the forums Johan. I hope you will like it here.
I found that ACG caters for all sorts of moods one can be in

As I can see we have some common ground in the Baltics.
Last month I travelled up and down Sweden on government business (Stockholm, Linköping, and on one occasion leaving by train on through Malmö - Öresund bridge to Copenhagen: great journey). Like for most Dutchmen past and present, coming to Sweden was a very pleasant and rewarding experience

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.
Old 13 Oct 08, 17:23
ACG Author
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
My mother's side is mostly Scots-Irish (Ulster!) that originally hailed from the Scottish Lowlands: Erwins (Irvines that could not spell), Chisolms. One branch is Fitzgeralds from Ireland. My Dad's side is mostly English with a touch of Irish (Mahoney, Bantry Bay!).

So I would say farmers with a bit of Reivers spread in.

Pruitt
I haven't rode this way in a while. The Irvines were definitely among the feuding borders. The Irvines had feuds with the Musgraves, Bells, Grahams, Carlisles and Maxwells. George MacDonald Fraser in his "The Steel Bonnets", a history of the borders characterizes the Irvines (Irving, Urwen) as "A very tough bunch indeed, the Irvines contributed much to the general disorder, despite their comparatively small numbers. Thoroughly involved in all the West March mischief. Recommend Fraser's book, he has a few incidents of Irvines throughout it.

rna
Old 13 Oct 08, 18:05
Brigadier General
UK
5 Year Service Ribbon 

UGLYGUTS is walking in the light [200] UGLYGUTS is walking in the light [200] UGLYGUTS is walking in the light [200] UGLYGUTS is walking in the light [200] UGLYGUTS is walking in the light [200] UGLYGUTS is walking in the light [200] UGLYGUTS is walking in the light [200] UGLYGUTS is walking in the light [200] UGLYGUTS is walking in the light [200] UGLYGUTS is walking in the light [200] UGLYGUTS is walking in the light [200] UGLYGUTS is walking in the light [200] UGLYGUTS is walking in the light [200]
There is a story but its not cast iron, the evidence i have based on my family tree research puts it beyond reasonable dispute, now my fellow brits dont hate me, but my maternal grandmothers male line ancestors are veterans of the spanish armada defeated by drake.

Im sorry to say, my ancestor was on a spanish ship trying to kill brits at the time.

When the armada fled his ship sailed right around britain only to get beached in ireland, boy met a girl, so on and so forth and on to me.

I got loads of info on my family tree, but i wont bore you, i like this bio of one of my relatives and thought id share it,
Old 13 Oct 08, 20:17
ACG Author
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UGLYGUTS View Post
There is a story but its not cast iron, the evidence i have based on my family tree research puts it beyond reasonable dispute, now my fellow brits dont hate me, but my maternal grandmothers male line ancestors are veterans of the spanish armada defeated by drake.

Im sorry to say, my ancestor was on a spanish ship trying to kill brits at the time.

When the armada fled his ship sailed right around britain only to get beached in ireland, boy met a girl, so on and so forth and on to me.

I got loads of info on my family tree, but i wont bore you, i like this bio of one of my relatives and thought id share it,
Your ancestor's experience certainly explains the dark hair and complexion of the Welsh.
Old 14 Oct 08, 06:07
ACG Forums - General Staff
France
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Summer Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Actually, it does not explain dark hair, eyes and complexions. First off, Wales is the extreme West of Britain and you would think fewer Celts ended up in the genetic pool there. You would have a better time talking about the Roman Auxiliary troops that were stationed in Britain. I can think of Syrian Archers and Blemys from the Sudan off hand. There were more.

Celts were not always light haired, skinned and eyed. The mixture with the local peoples determined quite a bit. Sometimes only the Celtic ruling elite had light features and the "peasants" were small and dark.

I don't think a few stranded Spaniards affected the Irish Gene pool that much. Every time one of those male descendants married a local girl the chance of that "Iberian" gene staying in the next gene combination decreased by half. Don't forget the Mitochondrial DNA stayed local as well.

Could a few Iberian genes have survived? Sure! But you could also blame the dark features on Slaves brought in by the Vikings from other places, original inhabitants and the odd pilgrim that wandered through.

Oddly enough one of my Aunts found out that my maternal Grandfather's family name is from the Isle of Man! The Tear family is still there! of course our branch could not spell and it ended up Teer! There is some discussion about whether the people on the Isle are Irish or Norse. I think it is a mix, kind of like those Spaniards that could swim...

Pruitt

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"
Sponsored Links

Old 26 Mar 09, 16:46
Gunnery Sergeant
UK
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Lordofwar is on the path to success [1-99] Lordofwar is on the path to success [1-99] Lordofwar is on the path to success [1-99]
My ancestors were poor farming folk from Yorkshire and Kent.
Old 31 Mar 09, 16:45
Gunnery Sergeant
EU

BlackDonald is on the path to success [1-99] BlackDonald is on the path to success [1-99] BlackDonald is on the path to success [1-99]
My swedish mother comes from a soldier family with long-standing traditions of working for the army. I have seven ancestors that fought in the thirty years war under Gustav II Adolphus and Johan Banér. Only one of these guys returned home, and I am descended from him on my maternal side.
I have no clue as to what my father's ancestors did, since my father cut off relations with his parents and went to sea at age sixteen. Could have been anything from scottish mercenaries to poor farmers or sailors.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Furthermore, I think Carthage must be destroyed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 12 Aug 09, 08:16
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

lakechampainer is simply cracking [600]
lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600]
I can only make educated guesses at what my ancestors did in the age of Pike and Shot. My father's parents were both born in Southern Italy. There were musicians on both sides of the family. My guess is they were of "peasant stock" which is statistically what you would expect. Also, I have and my father had what I would call a stereotypical "peasant build" which is relatively short arms and legs, stocky, and at tendency to gain weight in middle age (convenient to blame on the genes!). I assume my ancestors lived off the land.

My grandfather did enjoy things military and enlisted(I think, not drafted) in WW I. He was a musician and was about to go overseas when the war ended. He and my grandmother were able to more easily become citizens because of his services. He served in the National Guard. In fact my grandmother told me in the mid 90's that at one point during the Depression my grandfather wanted to go on active duty overseas (Phillipines?) but she told him that if he did she (and the then five kids) wouldn't be there when he got back.

My mother's mother was born in Ireland, county Galway in Aughrim. I assume my ancestor's in the Age of Pike and Shot were mostly the average stock before the British came, since this was Western/Central Ireland.

My mother's father was born of French ancestry in Vermont. I believe people came from Quebec to Northern Vermont in the mid 1800's. Much of the settlement of Quebec was by male soldiers. Originally it had a very high male to female ratio. At one point young women (the Filles du Roi) were brought in to help level the male/female ratio. The population was low until the 1660's, when it took off due to an increase in immigration then an increase in fertility/drop in mortality. Since the population came from this small base, I'm sure I have the genes of these two groups in me. Most of the settlers came from Northwest France, but my mother's middle name was Lorraine and she told me she was given that name because her people were from that region.

When I had colored hair rather than gray hair, I had brown hair with streaks of red. I used to fancy that that was from Viking blood in Ireland. I now fancy that I have Viking Blood from Northwest France.

Last edited by lakechampainer; 12 Aug 09 at 08:24..
Old 12 Sep 09, 21:02
Major General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300]
I am posting this man because there is actually a record of the arms that he was required to have.

Thomas Cleyborne of the Parish of St Margaret, borough of King's Lynn, County of Norfolk, Merchant, was admitted Free of King's Lynn in 1552/3; his franchise being secured by apprenticeship. He appears as mayor of the borough in 1573, alderman in 1577, appears as late mayor and ex-officio Justice of the Peace in a Chancery Suit dated 14 November, 1574 and in 1572 he appears an an "Ableman" in the Norfolk Muster Rolls

according to Virginia Venturer by Nathaniel C. Hale
This Thomas was a well to do merchant with shipping interests abroad. Was much respected since he was honored with office of mayor and alderman.

When he was a young man had been an ableman of the Norfolk Muster Rolls and had kept in his possession in conformity with the law and his station at the time "a long bowe, a sheafte of Arrowes, a steele cappe or scull, and a Bill or a Halberte."

His will was probated on the 21st of May in 1582. My body shall be buried in the parish church of St. Margaret in Kings Lynne near the Sepulture of my late wife . . . To poor people within the Burroughe of Kinges Lynn 10 pounds . . . 40 chalders of coal to be distributed in the winter season . . . towards the increase of the common stock for provision of the poor inhabitants, 40 calders of coals and 20 quarters of rye . . . To Dorothie Clayborn my daughter 300 pounds . . . To Katherine Clayborne my daughter 300 pounds . . . To my brother George Revelye . . . To the children of Johan, wife of William Lawrence . . . To Anne Baxter my daughter in law . . . the residue of my goods an chattels, shipping adventures abroad and household stuff I give to my natural son Thomas Clayborne, whom I make my executor." So read in part the last testament of Thomas, the elder, of Norfolk.

He was the grandfather of William Claiborne Surveyor of Virginia in 1621.
Old 12 Sep 09, 21:58
Corporal
United_States

Rostra is on the path to success [1-99]
I know this is later than the age of pike and shot, but Robert Emmet was one of the leaders of the Rebellion of United Irishmen in 1798-ish, along with Wolfe Tone and Napper Tandy and others.
Old 31 Mar 10, 10:39
Lieutenant Colonel
Germany
5 Year Service Ribbon 

the Iron Duke has demonstrated strength of character [100] the Iron Duke has demonstrated strength of character [100] the Iron Duke has demonstrated strength of character [100] the Iron Duke has demonstrated strength of character [100] the Iron Duke has demonstrated strength of character [100] the Iron Duke has demonstrated strength of character [100] the Iron Duke has demonstrated strength of character [100] the Iron Duke has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Both, my mothers and fathers families have a long history.

My mother belongs to the Kinsky family which was one of the oldest and most illustrious dynasties originating from Bohemia, now the Czech Republic. The family is recorded in the Almanach de Gotha. The first factual mention of the family is in 1237. The family were elevated to Counts in 1628 and to the rank of prince in 1747. Many members of the family served in high diplomatic and military positions of the Austrian Empire.

This is long before the age of pike and shot but nevertheless interesting. According to romantic legend, the Kinsky story begins in Central Europe over 1000 years ago, when a beautiful King's daughter out hunting in the forest was attacked by a pack of wolves. Her attendants all fled the terrible scene except for one young man, who saved the princess by killing some wolves and driving the rest away. In gratitude, the girl's father ennobled the young man, granting him a coat of arms featuring three wolves' teeth as an emblem of his bravery as shown below.

Wilhelm von Kinsky was from 1611 onwards Oberstjägermeister (whatever that is) of Bohemia. 1618 he took part in the Rebellion which eventually lead to the "Prager Fenstersturz" (don't know in English) which eventually led to the 30 years war. He was elected into the Directory which ruled the country. He had turned Protestant and was on the wrong side at the battle of the white mountain, but through the influence of his rich father in law his properties didn't get confiscated. He was made a count in 1628, but had to leave the country the same year becaused he refused to become catholic again. He had imigrated to Pirna and since he had his estates governed by catholic subordinates, he was able to control them from Pirna. He returned after the battle of Breitenfeld in 1631, but was captured by the Saxons and brought to Dresden where he lived at the Saxon court with his families. He became an important adviser and diplomate, but at the same time stayed in contact with Wallenstein, who was his brother in law. He apparently negotiated with the Swedish on Wallensteins orders and with the knowledge of the Austrian emperor. With a diplomatic mission he went to Pilsen on 8th January 1634 and accompanied Wallenstein on his flight to Eger, where Wallenstein, he and other supporters who have accompanied Wallenstein were murdered on 25th February 1634.

Another Kinsky ancestor, Joseph Count Kinsky (1731-1804), was an Austrian Field Marshal. His younger brother Franz-Joseph was also Field Marshal.

There much more to tell but because I don't want to bore everyone with my family history, I leave it for now.

Last edited by the Iron Duke; 31 Mar 10 at 10:43..
Old 28 Nov 10, 14:16
Sergeant
Germany

Friedrich is on the path to success [1-99] Friedrich is on the path to success [1-99]
I am not sure (i cant be sure) but i think that my ancestors were probably Habsburg Grenzers (Frontiersmen), but i know that one of my ancestors fought under Prinz Eugen.
Old 28 Nov 10, 16:56
Lieutenant General
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Jonathanrex1 has a spectacular aura about [400] Jonathanrex1 has a spectacular aura about [400] Jonathanrex1 has a spectacular aura about [400] Jonathanrex1 has a spectacular aura about [400] Jonathanrex1 has a spectacular aura about [400] Jonathanrex1 has a spectacular aura about [400] Jonathanrex1 has a spectacular aura about [400] Jonathanrex1 has a spectacular aura about [400] Jonathanrex1 has a spectacular aura about [400] Jonathanrex1 has a spectacular aura about [400] Jonathanrex1 has a spectacular aura about [400] Jonathanrex1 has a spectacular aura about [400] Jonathanrex1 has a spectacular aura about [400] Jonathanrex1 has a spectacular aura about [400] Jonathanrex1 has a spectacular aura about [400]
My ancestors made rope in Wales, or at least I think, because my surname in welsh translates into "Of, or like, cord; having cords or cordlike parts".
Old 26 May 11, 10:36
Lieutenant Colonel
Germany
5 Year Service Ribbon 

the Iron Duke has demonstrated strength of character [100] the Iron Duke has demonstrated strength of character [100] the Iron Duke has demonstrated strength of character [100] the Iron Duke has demonstrated strength of character [100] the Iron Duke has demonstrated strength of character [100] the Iron Duke has demonstrated strength of character [100] the Iron Duke has demonstrated strength of character [100] the Iron Duke has demonstrated strength of character [100]
I recently learned, that apparently the groom of Baron von Haxthausen, an ancestor of mine shot the Swedish King at the battle of Leuthen.
Old 26 May 11, 11:32
General
France
5 Year Service Ribbon 

DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700]
DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Some grew turnips in Lancashire. Some were "fishermen" in Devon.

But mainly we looted Scotland like it was going out of style.

We had to there were laws against looting Wales.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!