StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Warfare Through the Ages > Age of Pike and Shot

Notices and Announcements

Age of Pike and Shot 30 Years War, War of Spanish Succession, English Civil War, etc.

Old 03 Jun 07, 03:02
General of the Forums
EU
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II SPQR Campaign 

Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Cornelius Tsiegers was born in 1611 and died in 1670 !
He was a farmer who owned a fairly large estate in the region of Olen, a small town in the east of the province of Antwerp ! He had six workers working under him, but he also worked to farm the land! The estate seemingly had 3 cheminees, 12 cows, 3 horses and 18 sheep !
It seems that his grand-father, living in Antwerp in the end of the 1500's, left Antwerp after the Spanish had taken it in 1585 !!! He supposedly migrated eastwards and I presume that he had to start life all over again...

Greets,
Stratego

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG
Old 19 May 08, 11:20
Private
United_States

Mikeydanuke is on the path to success [1-99]
I was doing some Internet cruising and came across this site, and this question, and I knew I belonged here. I have just come off working 6 x 12.5 hr nightshifts for 8 weeks, so my mind is a little fogged, but I really wanted to jump in on this topic.

One of my ancestor's was Phillip McIntyre, who was a soldier in the Scottish army at the battle of Dunbar, 1650, fighting against the English. He was one of the lucky ones that got captured, and was "sold" as an indentured servant to the colony of Massachusetts. He seems to have ended up working as a metalsmith, and must have done quite well, because he eventually served out his indentitude (?) and went on to become a fairly well to do person. Unfortunately, we have been unable to trace his exact location/regiment in the Scot's army, and have only a very vague reference to lead us to believe he came from somewhere around Edinburough. I've always wanted to know more about him.
Thanks for letting me share this.
Mikeydanuke
Old 24 May 08, 00:11
Sergeant Major
United_States

Mr Mac is on the path to success [1-99] Mr Mac is on the path to success [1-99] Mr Mac is on the path to success [1-99] Mr Mac is on the path to success [1-99]
Hrmm, I'm very vague on my ancestors, but I imagine one of them was being persecuted in Hungary for being Jewish, one was serving in the German Army, depending on the time, one was serving in the Danish army, and one was being a howling barbarian running all over the place in a kilt.
Old 20 Jun 08, 07:59
Captain
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Sgt Ken has disabled reputation
I have know idea but i think we ran in a pack i know we would howl at the moon a lot ,and we like to fight in a pack ,my mon ran around alot with me in her mouth so i dont rember a lot ?
Old 20 Jun 08, 08:59
Captain
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Sgt Ken has disabled reputation
some old pictures of my aunt and uncle and my wife and i

Here are some pictures of my aunt and uncle as you can see my uncle is a WAR HERO but i think he steped on a land mine or something like that ,and of course the other pictures are of me and my wife thought you might like to see them?

Last edited by Sgt Ken; 21 Aug 08 at 08:22..
Old 21 Jun 08, 16:51
ACG Forums - General Staff
France
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Summer Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
My mother's side is mostly Scots-Irish (Ulster!) that originally hailed from the Scottish Lowlands: Erwins (Irvines that could not spell), Chisolms. One branch is Fitzgeralds from Ireland. My Dad's side is mostly English with a touch of Irish (Mahoney, Bantry Bay!).

So I would say farmers with a bit of Reivers spread in.

Pruitt

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"
Old 23 Jun 08, 22:05
General
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

ace has a spectacular aura about [400]
ace has a spectacular aura about [400] ace has a spectacular aura about [400] ace has a spectacular aura about [400] ace has a spectacular aura about [400] ace has a spectacular aura about [400]
I was adopted, so it's any body's guess
"The people never have the power, only the illusion of it. And here is the real secret: they don't want it. The responsibility is too great to bear. It's why they are so quick to fall in line as soon as someone else takes charge."
"
Old 23 Jun 08, 23:00
Major General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

2nd Rangers is walking in the light [200] 2nd Rangers is walking in the light [200] 2nd Rangers is walking in the light [200] 2nd Rangers is walking in the light [200] 2nd Rangers is walking in the light [200] 2nd Rangers is walking in the light [200] 2nd Rangers is walking in the light [200] 2nd Rangers is walking in the light [200] 2nd Rangers is walking in the light [200] 2nd Rangers is walking in the light [200] 2nd Rangers is walking in the light [200]
Most Likely

Most Likely they fished. We all can't be related to some monarch or general.

Last edited by 2nd Rangers; 23 Jun 08 at 23:32..
Old 24 Jun 08, 01:00
General
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

ace has a spectacular aura about [400]
ace has a spectacular aura about [400] ace has a spectacular aura about [400] ace has a spectacular aura about [400] ace has a spectacular aura about [400] ace has a spectacular aura about [400]
I do have a friend who's ancestor was a king some where in Germanic area. He actually appears in Rise of Nations as a barbarian tribe, King Canute.
"The people never have the power, only the illusion of it. And here is the real secret: they don't want it. The responsibility is too great to bear. It's why they are so quick to fall in line as soon as someone else takes charge."
"
Old 24 Jun 08, 04:39
General of the Forums
Portuguese_Monarchy
Summer Campaign Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 

Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600]
Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600]
King Canute? Wasn't he the chief of the Danes?
As for my ancestors, they were probably kicking some spanish a$$ or growing cabage to eat. My ancestors are from the interior of Portugal, so I don't expect many of them to be fishers.

Sponsored Links

Old 22 Aug 08, 12:08
Gunnery Sergeant
Poland
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Aquila is on the path to success [1-99] Aquila is on the path to success [1-99] Aquila is on the path to success [1-99]
Living in their castles in Baligrod and Hoczwew, founding new churches, managing salt mines and trade route from Hungary to Warsaw and serving king and country on various administrative positions in the region. One is reported to have died in battle won by us against Ukrainians in 1651.
Old 22 Aug 08, 14:03
Colonel
India
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

vikram72 is walking in the light [200] vikram72 is walking in the light [200] vikram72 is walking in the light [200] vikram72 is walking in the light [200] vikram72 is walking in the light [200] vikram72 is walking in the light [200] vikram72 is walking in the light [200] vikram72 is walking in the light [200] vikram72 is walking in the light [200] vikram72 is walking in the light [200] vikram72 is walking in the light [200] vikram72 is walking in the light [200]
My family came to North Maharashtra around 1200 AD from Rajasthan. The last Hindu kingdom of Yadavas in Maharshtra was destroyed around 1400.
It was a dark period although villages were largely left undisturbed with common understanding that victor will get annual dues from Villages. But as local nobles and Estate owners, Ancestors were forced to serve different rulers of Southern India’s Muslim Kingdom’s. To protect their Estates.
For their alliance with their rulers they were suppose to maintain Both Mounted and infantry irregulars.
After 1700 to 1818 it was our own Maratha rule.

We are from House Of Chalukyas
Old 22 Aug 08, 14:57
General of the Forums
UK
5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

Surrey is a jewel in the rough [500]
Surrey is a jewel in the rough [500] Surrey is a jewel in the rough [500] Surrey is a jewel in the rough [500] Surrey is a jewel in the rough [500] Surrey is a jewel in the rough [500] Surrey is a jewel in the rough [500] Surrey is a jewel in the rough [500]
It is difficult in the UK to specifically trace ancestry before 1832. The earlies we can trace were clipper captains.
However I think the Campbells nicked by Scottish grandmother's family castle back in the 16th century
Old 22 Aug 08, 16:57
ACG Forums - Africanus Majoris
Israel
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign 

Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Endeavouring in that typical Dutch combination of activities of this Dutch Golden Age: fighting and trading, mostly in the Baltic

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Last edited by Colonel Sennef; 22 Aug 08 at 17:08..
Old 01 Sep 08, 09:58
General of the Forums
Sweden
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Johan Banér is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Johan Banér is a glorious beacon of light [700] Johan Banér is a glorious beacon of light [700] Johan Banér is a glorious beacon of light [700] Johan Banér is a glorious beacon of light [700] Johan Banér is a glorious beacon of light [700] Johan Banér is a glorious beacon of light [700] Johan Banér is a glorious beacon of light [700] Johan Banér is a glorious beacon of light [700] Johan Banér is a glorious beacon of light [700] Johan Banér is a glorious beacon of light [700] Johan Banér is a glorious beacon of light [700] Johan Banér is a glorious beacon of light [700] Johan Banér is a glorious beacon of light [700] Johan Banér is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Known Pike'n'Shot area ancestors:

Jacob Grundel, silk merchant and Mayor of Stockholm. A subject of his Majesty the king of Sweden, recorded as a good patriot, even though he adressed his God in his nativer German tounge.

His son, Simon Grundel, born 1617, later ennobled Grundel-Helmfeldt (1646), became an ensign in the Swedish artillery corps under general Lennart Torstenson, the artillery genius who organised the Swedish artillery for Gustavus Adolphus. Simon was sent to the Netherlands to learn fortification engineering and Dutch gunnery. He returned to Sweden in time to join the army for the second battle of Breitenfeldt. Fought the rest of the 30 years war, ending up and artillery colonel by 1648.

Was given a generalship under Jacob de la Gardie when Charles X invaded Poland in the 1650's. De la Gardie wasn't much of a military man so in practice the running decisions had to be made by general Grundel. He also became governor of Riga in 1656.

This set Simon Grundel-Helmfeldt up for the Fieldmarshall title. Come the Danish attack on Sweden in 1875, the old warhorse was called back into service. He fought the battle of Lund in 1676, the bloodiest battle in Swedish-Danish military history (9000 KIA of some 45.000 troops involved), and the battle of Landskrona in 1677, winning it but getting killed in the process.

Continuing the martial theme: Another ancestor was a certain Alexander Anderson, despite the name a Highland nobleman who took service in the army of the king of Sweden (MacKay's regiment). The Clan Anderson is a dependant clan to Clan Ross.

Other than that, a bunch of conscripted Swedish, German and Finnish peasants usually dying of some plague or other on garrisson duty somewhere around the Baltic Sea. Hard to have it any other way, considering 17th c. Sweden was an insanely militarised society - maintaining a standing army of 150.000 troops with a total population of 1,5 million...

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!