StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Warfare Through the Ages > Age of Pike and Shot

Notices and Announcements

Age of Pike and Shot 30 Years War, War of Spanish Succession, English Civil War, etc.

Old 19 Dec 05, 10:26
ACG Author
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
Question What did your ancestors do in the Age of Pike and Shot?

The Armstrongs were border reivers between England and Scotland. The often raided with the Elliots. They invented the insurance racket centuries before Al Capone. Mail was the rent one paid on their property. Blackmail was what you paid the Armstrong's not to burn down your house and steal your cattle. The Armstrongs, along with other great border families, were some of the best light cavalry in western Europe, and they hired out to different armies.

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 22 Dec 05, 04:44
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200]
Hmmm....

Other than a native American connection all of my ancesters seem to have come from farming backgrounds in England. In family lore the is a Salzburger connection to Germany but I have not been able to trace that.

Oh yeah!!! There is the McRae line two generations back.

I don't know anything about the McRaes of Scotland. We don't have any type of blood-feud we're honor bound to pursue do we??
Old 22 Dec 05, 11:06
ACG Forums - General Staff
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200]
The earliest ancestors I know of came to New England in the 17th century. Some came on the Mayflower in 1620 to found Plymouth, others came to Massachusetts Bay in 1635. Many of these ancestors were involved in the military history of New England including King Philip's War, and the later French & Indian Wars.
Old 04 Jan 06, 03:39
Private
United_States

Leglaen is on the path to success [1-99]
Well, I'm related (indirectly, obviously, but there is a link) to George Washington (and through him to Patton, which may or may not be a good thing), and I think we all understand what he did.

However, my namesake ancestors came from Bristol, England in 1648. A chap by the name of Bartholomew Stovall sailed across the Atlantic. I do not know exactly where but I believe he arrived in Virginia.

That is about all the information I have.
Old 04 Jan 06, 12:13
Major General
United_States

JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200]
During that era my relatives were mostly artisans and "hewers of wood and drawers of water". My father's family goes back to the Mayflower and my mother's to Plymouth so from 1609 onward they were mostly getting the heck out of England. The other major influence in the family are Scots who were transported after the Rising of 45 which is a little beyond this period. Mostly Sutherlands who stood for the Prince when the Earl stood for the crown. Needless to say, the Earl did not look on them too kindly when the crown won. They were lucky to get transported.
Old 06 Jan 06, 17:06
Lieutenant General
Canada
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200]
In the age of Pike and Shot the Scottish side of my family was fighting each other and fighting the British. No info on the native side. Probably living peacefully in the last days before the Europeans arrived. My German ancestors were farmers.
Old 06 Jan 06, 23:23
Major
UK

Weeble has demonstrated strength of character [100] Weeble has demonstrated strength of character [100] Weeble has demonstrated strength of character [100] Weeble has demonstrated strength of character [100] Weeble has demonstrated strength of character [100] Weeble has demonstrated strength of character [100] Weeble has demonstrated strength of character [100] Weeble has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Shoot at each other across the Boyne. Family reunions are a constant reminder that hostilities have not yet ceased....

Research, Reference and Historical Study

Illud Latine dici non potest
Old 18 Jan 06, 14:16
ACG Forums - General Staff
England
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
First known to fight during War of the Roses, by Cromwell's time we were still fighting along the Scottish-English border while doing the "merchant" thing. Family members eventually headed into the Carribean trading in rhum spices and sugar as well as harrassing Spanish shipping. Barbados, Grenada and Trinidad eventually replaced Newcastle and York as the family base but there are still a number of us in northern England.

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.
Old 18 Jan 06, 17:11
Major General
United_States

JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Purist
First known to fight during War of the Roses, by Cromwell's time we were still fighting along the Scottish-English border while doing the "merchant" thing. Family members eventually headed into the Carribean trading in rhum spices and sugar as well as harrassing Spanish shipping. Barbados, Grenada and Trinidad eventually replaced Newcastle and York as the family base but there are still a number of us in northern England.
Well my lowalnd Scottish relatives were busy stealing English cattle at that time.
Old 19 Jan 06, 23:55
ACG Forums - Morale Officer
United_States
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 

Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I'm not sure, but on my father's side I think they were probably digging up potatoes in Ireland, and on my mom's side they might have been gypsies in Budapest, Hungary.
Slug
Family Photo from Hungary
in
Olde Europe

Last edited by Slug; 20 Jan 06 at 00:14..
Sponsored Links

Old 20 Jan 06, 00:46
ACG Forums - Guardiano di Roma
Pirate
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 
Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) SPQR Campaign 

Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Well... one of me favorites was at the end of this era & a bit after. Eventually George III proved to be a strong proponent of his rightfully receiving the 20,000 pound Longitude Prize for H4 after far to many years. This after the King had tested H5 & found it to have lost only 4.5 seconds in 10 days.

James Cook used a copy of H4 in his voyages.

His 5 pieces - later named H1 - H5, H4 being the most famously pivotal - still exist & were rediscovered after WWI & somewhat restored at the Royal Greenwich Observatory.

ACG History Today

BoRG

Last edited by Admiral; 20 Jan 06 at 00:48..
Old 22 Jan 06, 11:35
ACG Author
United_States

R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSMoss
Well my lowalnd Scottish relatives were busy stealing English cattle at that time.
Maybe your relatives rode with the Armstrong's? The Armstrong's were in the western marches.
Old 25 Jan 06, 14:15
General
Canada

Bow has a spectacular aura about [400]
Bow has a spectacular aura about [400] Bow has a spectacular aura about [400] Bow has a spectacular aura about [400] Bow has a spectacular aura about [400] Bow has a spectacular aura about [400]
I originaly come from the East Coast of Scotland where many of the local dilect words are German or French in origin....anyway my late aunt was a tracer of family history and she got back as far as the 14th cent...Well it turns out that my fathers side of the tree when not fishing or farming hired out as mercenaries for the French in the off season...guess everybody has to turn a pound/franc when they can

per ardua ad astra
Old 25 Jan 06, 14:38
General of the Forums
Hungary

Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700]
My Mother's family were the hereditary chamberlains of Baden, which was still a Margraviate during that era, IIRC. My Wife's family were ruling Korea. Not sure what my Dad's family were doing.

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
http://www.mormon.org
http://www.sca.org
http://www.scv.org/
http://www.scouting.org/
Old 25 Jan 06, 19:50
First Sergeant
Turkey

fatih is on the path to success [1-99] fatih is on the path to success [1-99] fatih is on the path to success [1-99] fatih is on the path to success [1-99] fatih is on the path to success [1-99] fatih is on the path to success [1-99]
Both my father's and mother's side were living in Caucasus Mountains. They were Christian farmers.The Mongols had probably just left their land.

Regards
Fatih

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!