StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > World War I

Notices and Announcements

World War I The war to end all wars.

Old 01 Oct 07, 12:34
Corporal
United_States

Jackal is on the path to success [1-99]
Some of the books I've read or am reading are;

My Experiences in the World War Vol I, II by John J Pershing
The World Conflict 1914-1918 by Winston Churchill
American Soldiers also Fought by General Bullard
American Army in France by General James Harbord
The First World War by John Keegan
The Guns of August & The Zimmerman Telegram by Barbra Tuchman
I also read a book called conflict 1918. I don't now who the author was. It was about the 5 spring offenses the Germans used in the spring of 1918.

I have several other books that I've read and need to read, but I'm currently in Iraq and Don't have the titles readiably avaliable.
Old 31 Oct 07, 19:40
Lieutenant General
Ireland
5 Year Service Ribbon 

E.D. Morel has a spectacular aura about [400]
E.D. Morel has a spectacular aura about [400] E.D. Morel has a spectacular aura about [400] E.D. Morel has a spectacular aura about [400] E.D. Morel has a spectacular aura about [400] E.D. Morel has a spectacular aura about [400] E.D. Morel has a spectacular aura about [400]
I just started "1914-1918 The History of the First World War" by David Stevenson. So far so good, has anyone read it?
One book I read that gets the soul destroying effects of the war across is "Birdsong" by Sebastian Falks. One of the best written books I have ever read.
Old 05 Nov 07, 09:46
Private
United_States

K_B is on the path to success [1-99]
"History of the World War" by Halsey copyrighted 1919, is an excellent read.
Old 11 Dec 07, 09:53
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500]
Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500] Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500] Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500] Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500] Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500] Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500] Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500] Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500]
I just started re-reading World War I by S.L.A. Marshall.

ISBN 0-8281-0434-4
Old 25 Feb 08, 15:02
Staff Sergeant
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon 

VimyHero17 is on the path to success [1-99] VimyHero17 is on the path to success [1-99] VimyHero17 is on the path to success [1-99]
Hey, can anyone here recommend a good book (in English) about the Isonzo front, or anything at all on the Austro-Italian front?

On some book sites the same book keeps coming up - Isonzo: The Forgotten Sacrifice Of The Great War, by John Schindler

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/...2042-item.html

It looks like it could fit my needs, but the problem is its close to $80! Anyone else have any other suggestions?
Old 26 Feb 08, 15:08
First Lieutenant
UK
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Druid_Ian is on the path to success [1-99] Druid_Ian is on the path to success [1-99] Druid_Ian is on the path to success [1-99] Druid_Ian is on the path to success [1-99] Druid_Ian is on the path to success [1-99] Druid_Ian is on the path to success [1-99] Druid_Ian is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VimyHero17 View Post
Hey, can anyone here recommend a good book (in English) about the Isonzo front, or anything at all on the Austro-Italian front?

On some book sites the same book keeps coming up - Isonzo: The Forgotten Sacrifice Of The Great War, by John Schindler

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/...2042-item.html

It looks like it could fit my needs, but the problem is its close to $80! Anyone else have any other suggestions?
try http://zenithpress.com/Store/ProductDetails_35461.ncm
or
http://www.amazon.com/Rommel-Caporet.../dp/0850527724
Old 31 Mar 08, 22:07
Second Lieutenant
United_States

Loki is on the path to success [1-99] Loki is on the path to success [1-99] Loki is on the path to success [1-99] Loki is on the path to success [1-99]
One book that I find to be insightful is Jeff Shara's "To the Last Man".
Old 08 Apr 08, 07:05
First Sergeant
UK

roger 62 is on the path to success [1-99] roger 62 is on the path to success [1-99] roger 62 is on the path to success [1-99]
My list:

Tommy - Richard Holmes

The War The Infantry New - JC Dunn

First Day of the Somme - Martin Middlebrook

The Kaiser's Battle - Martin Middlebrook

Forgotten Victory - Gary Sheffield

Her Privates We (The Middle Parts of Fortune) - Manning

Trench Warfare 1914-18 (The Live & Let Live System) - Tony Ashworth

Mud, Blood and Poppycock - Gordon Corrigan

The Somme - Peter Hart

The Somme - Gary Sheffield

The Killing Ground - Tim Travers

The Great War Generals - Robin Neillands
Old 06 Sep 08, 09:59
Staff Sergeant
United_States

=^-..-^= is on the path to success [1-99] =^-..-^= is on the path to success [1-99] =^-..-^= is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirabe View Post
ITS A GREAT BOOK ONE OF THE BEST

If anyone started reading The Guns Of August by Tuchman but gave up because it is so mind-numbingly dull, I say, give it a hundred pages or so! It does pick up and becomes VERY interesting; it just takes a while.
Old 15 Oct 08, 20:33
First Lieutenant
UK
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Druid_Ian is on the path to success [1-99] Druid_Ian is on the path to success [1-99] Druid_Ian is on the path to success [1-99] Druid_Ian is on the path to success [1-99] Druid_Ian is on the path to success [1-99] Druid_Ian is on the path to success [1-99] Druid_Ian is on the path to success [1-99]
Officers-Manual-Western-Front-1914-1918

Very good book and inexpensive to boot

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Officers-Man...116764&sr=1-29

Old 01 Dec 08, 23:29
Private
Canada

Sgt Oddball is on the path to success [1-99]
So much has been discussed about the origins of the First War. Read Barry Pitt's "1918 - The Last Act" for an objective appraisal of the causes of the end of the war.

According to the accolades, this book compares with Guns of August (which I,too, have read and highly recommend) and Moorehead's Gallipoli (which I have but have not yet read).

Guns of August is indeed one of the best war books ever written (IMHO).
Pitt and Moorehead are two writers that I would place at the very top of any list of authors on the subject of war.

Oddball
Old 19 Mar 09, 16:59
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200]
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.D. Morel View Post
I just started "1914-1918 The History of the First World War" by David Stevenson. So far so good, has anyone read it?
One book I read that gets the soul destroying effects of the war across is "Birdsong" by Sebastian Falks. One of the best written books I have ever read.
Attention: Anyone out there?????

Here's a good volume that I am reading about the Great War.

* Keene, Jennifer D. Doughboys, the Great War, and the Remaking of America. War, society, culture. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 2001.

"The horizon is unlimited." Major General Matthew Ridgeway
Old 27 Apr 09, 14:18
ACG Forums - Africanus Majoris
Israel
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign 

Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
summer reading

This is what I'm currently reading:

Holmes, R.: 'Riding the Retreat, Mons to Marne 1914 Revisited'.

Wonderfully well balanced combination of military history (retreat of BEF told without par) and travel history: August '14 retreat trailed on horseback in summer of 1993

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.
Old 27 Apr 09, 16:09
Private
United_States

Edward Grey is on the path to success [1-99]
Given that the beginning of the war is my favorite/part of the war that I am most interested in most of my favorite reads come from that period.

Dreadnought, though not really about the war, is possibly my favorite book ever. The sequel, Castles of Steel, is equally good.

I recently read Tyng's Campaign on the Marne, and yet again I have my opinion that Germany should have won the war in the opening phases has been confirmed, despite Tyng's obvious bias in favor of the Entente powers. Still it was a good book.

Tuchman's Guns of August is also one of my favorite books ever. My copy is falling apart from constant use.

Finally, the next book I start will be A World Undone by Meyer, and I'm very much looking forward to it!
Old 30 Apr 09, 18:26
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200]
All the Way to Berlin: The Memoir of an Airborne Platoon Leader

All the Way to Berlin: The Memoir of an Airborne Platoon Leader
by James Megallas The most decorated officer of the 82d Airborne
Division in WW2.

"The horizon is unlimited." Major General Matthew Ridgeway

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!