StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > World War I

Notices and Announcements

World War I The war to end all wars.

Old 14 Jun 05, 17:27
Lieutenant General
Pirate
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Mini-Me has a spectacular aura about [400]
Books

I am interested in learning more about WWI, so I was looking for reading suggestions. I have John Keegan's book, but that's it. I am particularly interested in the Eastern front. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 14 Jun 05, 21:09
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-Me
I am interested in learning more about WWI, so I was looking for reading suggestions. I have John Keegan's book, but that's it. I am particularly interested in the Eastern front. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Eastern Front isn't well researched as Western Front, so it's probably limited to a few books. However, I recommend you to borrow Martin Gilbert's book, I forgot the name, but it's about WWI in general. I own it as well. It has a bibliography, some of the books listed may be related to Eastern Front.

It's amazing that after 80 years, there's little information available on Eastern Front. Probably because strategic vision is limited as Russians were mostly retreating after Germans delivered a major blow after another. The only real chance Russians had was at Tannersburg (sp?), however, even so, it was badly conducted and ill-advised as Russians were trying to coveraging on Germans from two different directions (one from Poland and another from east of Prussian border, at Gumbain (not sure of spelling)). Germans beat back one direction, then turned to destroy the last remaining Russian troops at Tannersburg.

What I would to know the most is how Germans and Russians conducted themselves after Burliov (sp?) offensive, the last Russian offensive action of the war, I believe. What I also want to understand was why Germany failed to take advantage of Urkaine front when she moved her fresh troops to Western Front. I've always wondered whether Lunderdoff could have waited instead of hastily launching a series of offensive actions in Western Front as to permit Germany to recover from devastating British blockade and restless civilian protests.

Oh well, I have too many questions...hehe...anyway, sorry I couldn't help you that much.

Dan

"Aim small, miss small."

Chieftain Iosephus Namathus of Brigantes, Eagles Deux

"I am Britannia!"
Old 19 Jun 05, 09:46
First Sergeant
UK

Ney is on the path to success [1-99]
If you are interested in the causes of the War try 'War by Timetable' by A.J.P Taylor.
Old 19 Jun 05, 18:20
Captain
France

nemo is on the path to success [1-99] nemo is on the path to success [1-99] nemo is on the path to success [1-99] nemo is on the path to success [1-99] nemo is on the path to success [1-99]
You can also give a go Hew Strachan's First World War. I've just finished the 1st volume (of the intended three): At Arms and I remain very favourably impressed - it's written with style, comprehensive and at the same time every topic is treated in depth and at length.

I did learn quite a few things on a subject I thought I knew rather well...
Old 20 Jun 05, 13:16
ACG Forums - General Staff
England
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
You must read 'The Guns of August' by Barbara Tuchmann. probably the best account of the outbreak and first 6 weeks of the war.

Nemo's suggestion is also excellent (2 books away on my reading list) but give Tuchmann a read first if this is your first go at WWI.

If you can find it try "The End of Imperial Russia, 1855-1917" by Peter Waldron. An in depth review of all the factors that led to the collapse of Czarist Russia.

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Last edited by The Purist; 20 Jun 05 at 13:25..
Old 20 Jun 05, 16:52
Private
Canada

Hussar_04 is on the path to success [1-99]
WW1 Books

I would recommend Deep Battle: The Brainchild of Marshal Tukhachevki by Simpkin (with John Erickson)

You might also read

Steel Wind by David Zabecki...this deals with German WW! artillery but a lot was adopted by Soviets.

Stormtroop Tactics by Gudmundsson
Old 20 Jun 05, 17:10
Lieutenant General
Pirate

Thanks guys. I appeciate the recommendations. My wife just got The Guns of August , so I can start there.
Old 28 Jun 05, 15:23
Colonel
United_States

nastle is on the path to success [1-99] nastle is on the path to success [1-99] nastle is on the path to success [1-99] nastle is on the path to success [1-99] nastle is on the path to success [1-99] nastle is on the path to success [1-99]
I found John Mosier's "the myth of the great war" the best book on WWI so far.(Nothing about the russian front though)
All other authors seem to do little research on their own and just quote official allied sources.
I esp. like his analysis of artillery and tactics.
Old 28 Jun 05, 20:22
ACG Forums - General Staff
France
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Summer Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Mini-Me,

I would recommend two books on actual Tactics, "On Infantry" by John A English, and "On Artillery" by Bruce I Gudmundsson. There is a second issue of the first book where Bruce Gudmundsson does some re-writing, but I like the first edition better. These go into what worked and why.

There are just too many "causes" of both World Wars. I had a college professor teach a class on World War 1. After the class was over he was asked what actually caused it and he said: "I don't know!"!

There is also a good book on raising armies and manpower issues in Great Britain and its colonies by F W Perry. You can see where Great Britain intentionally held down the size of its Army in World War 2 and used more Allies and Commonwealth country forces.

Pruitt
Old 30 Jun 05, 15:17
ACG Author
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
Mini-me

I would recommend two books: 1)Michael Howard's World War One--as master of the short book, he cuts through in succinct, clear prose the cause and motivations of the countries involved;

2) John Ellis, Eye Deep In Hell is a soldier level appreciation of fighting in the trenches. He calculated the weight of the great woolen coats when wet and muddy to explain the high number of casualties in drowning.
Sponsored Links

Old 01 Jul 05, 18:37
Major
Canada

horatio_nelson is on the path to success [1-99] horatio_nelson is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-Me
I am particularly interested in the Eastern front.
Just the Eastern front, or a specific thing on the Eastern Front?

-Vice-Admiral Horatio Nelson, 1st Viscount Nelson, Duke of Bronte, KB, RN
Old 02 Jul 05, 16:54

Was watching the History Channel today, they had a show on about the Eastern Front in WWI - had an author interviewed on there - I know you can probably find it at all of the major online booksellers - maybe someone at Abebooks has a used copy...

The Eastern Front, 1914-1917
by
Norman Stone

They were also talking about the Ottoman Empire as well
Old 02 Jul 05, 17:04
Lieutenant General
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio_nelson
Just the Eastern front, or a specific thing on the Eastern Front?
Just the Eastern front in general. After I get into that, I'm sure I'll find some specific things I want to look at in greater detail.
Old 02 Jul 05, 17:08
ACG Author
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
Eastern Front

Read Alexander Solzhenitsyn's August 1914. Although it is fiction, his description of the 2nd Russian Army and commanders as they march to their defeat at Tannenberg is insightful.
Old 03 Jul 05, 22:48
Lieutenant General
Canada

Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200]
I am stickying this thread and making it the official book thread for the WW1 Forum!

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!