StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > World War I

Notices and Announcements

World War I The war to end all wars.

Old 16 May 12, 16:59
First Lieutenant
United_States

Vassilli is on the path to success [1-99] Vassilli is on the path to success [1-99] Vassilli is on the path to success [1-99] Vassilli is on the path to success [1-99] Vassilli is on the path to success [1-99] Vassilli is on the path to success [1-99] Vassilli is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VieuxChat View Post
Amazing: I know, I was websurfing and find the answer by acident. I was on holidays were he is from.

That's pretty cool.

“People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” - Otto Von Bismarck

"It is always easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them." - Alfred Adler
Old 24 Aug 12, 13:55
General of the Forums
United_States

majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon View Post
Horatio_nelson has it!! The Imo collided with another ship called the Mont-Blanc which was carrying ammunition. The Mont-Blanc promptly exploded creating the largest manmade explosion until Hiroshima. Here is an excellent CBC site on one of the greatest disasters in Canadian history. http://www.cbc.ca/halifaxexplosion/index.html
I think the explosion at the Corcord Weapons station holds the award of the largest non-nuclear explosion. It happened during WWII and was also an explosion of an ammunition ship that cooked off other nearby munitions. Many dock workers were killed and it rattled windows miles away. The weapons station was pretty much removed from the face of the Earth.
Old 24 Aug 12, 14:02
General of the Forums
United_States

majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200]
Looks like the Russian service pistol that fired the self sealing 32 caliber round. There were several countries who used a pistol that looked like this one. The Swiss for one.

Is it a Nagant? Can't recall the name. BTW: a bunch have recently been imported into the US and can be bought for less than $100. Ammo is available too, but some people shoot a 32/20 in it.

(later entry) It is a Russian M1895 Nagant 7.62 Revolver. Cost at J&G gun sales is $99.95. A sealed tin of Russian surplus ammo of 108 grain FMJ rounds costs $338.52 for 1.092 rounds.

Last edited by majormack; 24 Aug 12 at 14:09..
Old 24 Aug 12, 14:15
General of the Forums
United_States

Can someone cast any light on my picture of this admiral? I'm told the uniform is French. I bought this from the family of a man who collected Naval pictures. I think I have seen pictures like this in England.

Any help?
Old 24 Aug 12, 15:33
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700]
dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VieuxChat View Post
A french oficer from Saint-Cyr school. He is from the 14eme de ligne. He is smoking drug.
He does look kind of happy for a military pic .
Old 24 Aug 12, 16:06
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Does he play poker?....
Old 10 Jan 13, 14:01
First Sergeant
United_States

spwgame is on the path to success [1-99] spwgame is on the path to success [1-99]
Probably not an admiral. Sword is army, not navy. And what navy man would have a portrait painted without the sea or a ship in the background?
Old 06 Jul 13, 19:09
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Vintage 3D slides;
http://anerdsworld.com/verascope-world-war-1/
Old 05 May 14, 04:53
ACG Forums - Africanus Majoris
Israel
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign 

Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Bit of a give-away, but I found it too good an opportunity to pass on.
Two classics in one picture

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.
Old 05 May 14, 14:09
General of the Forums
France
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+] broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+] broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+] broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+] broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+] broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+] broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+] broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+] broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+] broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+] broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+] broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+] broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+] broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+] broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+] broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Looks like the Greek army at practice, near, um Athens, um?
Sponsored Links

Old 05 May 14, 14:43
Major General
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Canuckster has a spectacular aura about [400]
Canuckster has a spectacular aura about [400] Canuckster has a spectacular aura about [400] Canuckster has a spectacular aura about [400] Canuckster has a spectacular aura about [400] Canuckster has a spectacular aura about [400] Canuckster has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sennef View Post
Bit of a give-away, but I found it too good an opportunity to pass on.
Two classics in one picture

French troops who clashed with Greek Royalist troops that were sympathetic to the Germans?
Old 06 May 14, 01:34
ACG Forums - Africanus Majoris
Israel
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign 

Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckster View Post
French troops who clashed with Greek Royalist troops that were sympathetic to the Germans?
That is indeed a far more complete answer than I'd hoped for

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.
Old 13 May 15, 10:34
General of the Forums
UK
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

MarkV is simply cracking [600]
MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briffyboy View Post
It took me nearly an hour of searching to get this,Its the worlds first Anti-Tank mine used by the French.
Not the World's first I fear. The Germans were already using anti tank mines of this form in 1917 (they had more need to develop AT mines after all given that there were no German tanks until1918!) Initially, the German pioneers used existing artillery and mortar shells with sensitive fuzes. They also employed command-detonated mines much akin to modern IEDs. These earliest AT mines were scattered at random to reinforce wire obstacles and anti-tank ditches in front of the trench lines. Most of the early improvised antitank mines used by the Germans were very large with one dimension in excess of one meter, this required the pioneers to dig large holes to emplace the mines, consequently, it was usually relatively easy for allied sappers to locate where the mines were buried. The Germans also began to mass-produce the ‘Flachmine 17’ anti-tank mine . The Flachmine 17 normally consisted of a wooden box weighing about 12 lb and filled with 18 × 200 g explosive blocks. These were placed in boxes approximately 20 × 30 × 5 cm and were concealed about 25 cm deep. Detonation was caused by one of 4 ‘spring percussion lighters.’ It could function automatically as the tank passed over it or by command detonation (which was greatly facilitated by the use of electric detonators
All in all the US Corps of Engineers identified 19 different models of German AT mine in use by the end of the war.
Britain converted the toffee apple mortar round into a very effective AT mine and laid thousand of the things in 1918 - unfortunately in the press of the German March offensive the location of many was lost and they were still killing French farmers in the early 1930s

Last edited by MarkV; 13 May 15 at 10:48..

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!