StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > World History Group Welcomes You! > Introductions

Notices and Announcements

Introductions Welcome to our forums! Please stop by, throw out an introduction, and begin your tour of duty on the best History site on the 'net! Need help? See the Basic Training forum at the bottom of this list!

Old 23 Mar 15, 14:50
Lance Corporal
United_States

squidly is on the path to success [1-99]
New guy here. Bizarre that it took me so long to find this place, considering what a military history geek I am.
Old 28 Mar 15, 12:35
Private
United_States

Banjo is on the path to success [1-99]
Pearl Harbor -- ready for a fresh look?

Hi, Jerry Jay Carroll here reporting in from the mid-South where global warming is supposed to bring us sleet later on in the day. I have been a student of WW2 since the days when the family gathered around the dome-shaped radio in the living room and listened to H. V. Kaltenborn tell us the news. Yes, that makes me really old. I didn’t realize until I just looked it up that the V is for “von,” which explains why he went by the initial. He was as big in his day and media as Walter Cronkite later in television news. I was a kid and didn’t know the details of what he was giving us with his Voice of God delivery, but I knew it was big from the faces of the adults.
I think the first solid history of the war I read was William Shirer’s “Rise and Fall of the Third Reich,” published in 1960 and still selling like hotcakes. Like most, my bias was for the ETO and the PTO was a lesser attraction. It wasn’t until I retired after years as a newspaper man and moved with the family to Montana that I interested myself in the war with Imperial Japan. Then I got hooked, devouring scores of histories, biographies, autobiographies, memoirs, diaries and official papers from the period. Almost from the beginning I noticed that the official story about the attack on Pearl Harbor gave off a fishy smell. Everyone knew the commencement of hostilities was imminent, a Japanese spy at Pearl sending messages about ship dispositions was under observation by both the FBI and naval intelligence, secret codes had been broken and were being read, and yet a large fleet sailed unnoticed from Japan to the waters off Hawaii? Of course, I was not the only one to think this impossible. Robert Stinnett’s “Day of Infamy” is a good place to start if your curiosity is whetted. But historians burrowing into archives and questioning people who served at the time can only give us so much of the picture, particularly if there is deception involved. Only fiction could do justice to a conspiracy as complex and far reaching as the attack on Pearl Harbor. So I wrote “The Great Liars,” which Publishers Weekly honored with a Best Book of 2014 in its annual roundup. It bounds from Washington, D.C, to London, New York, Hollywood (where British agents penetrated the movie industry for propaganda purposes), Pearl Harbor, Guadalcanal and so forth. You can see what I'm getting up to and you’re getting into here:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Great-Liar...7559948&sr=1-1
Old 28 Mar 15, 12:56
General of the Forums
Australia
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Hello Jerry. Can't say I know much about that part of history, but a thread on that will certainly generate discussion (some heated, some informative, some jocular), but in the end we should all learn a thing or two about it.

I'll certainly read it with interest.

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!
Old 28 Mar 15, 14:02
Recruit
United_States

sturpin is a balanced individual [0]
am new 3/28/2015

Started out in 5/102 Armor, Dover, NJ, 1976, retired 136th Signal, Temple, TX, 2000; took the "scenic route" along the way. Once a soldier, always a soldier, it seems.
Old 28 Mar 15, 20:32
Major
UK

queensman has demonstrated strength of character [100] queensman has demonstrated strength of character [100] queensman has demonstrated strength of character [100] queensman has demonstrated strength of character [100] queensman has demonstrated strength of character [100] queensman has demonstrated strength of character [100] queensman has demonstrated strength of character [100] queensman has demonstrated strength of character [100] queensman has demonstrated strength of character [100]
@ rocket wrench & Boss Hog, a Rupert and a monkey within 24 hours.
Welcome, I look forward to chatting with you
Old 28 Mar 15, 20:55
Recruit
United_States

Thanks; still doing a recon. I'm kind of a techie dinosaur trying to cover a lot of ground.
Old 28 Mar 15, 20:56
Recruit
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturpin View Post
Thanks; still doing a recon. I'm kind of a techie dinosaur trying to cover a lot of ground.
Old 28 Mar 15, 21:07
Private First Class
UK

BossHogg is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensman View Post
@ rocket wrench & Boss Hog, a Rupert and a monkey within 24 hours.
Welcome, I look forward to chatting with you
Cheers dude, I maybe re-donning my Red Cap soon! Just applied to join RMP Reserves, passed previous service checks and just submitted my online medical questionnaire. I need my bumps felt, I'm nearly 48, do I really want to be running around like a new recruit again!
Old 29 Mar 15, 02:43
Major
UK

queensman has demonstrated strength of character [100] queensman has demonstrated strength of character [100] queensman has demonstrated strength of character [100] queensman has demonstrated strength of character [100] queensman has demonstrated strength of character [100] queensman has demonstrated strength of character [100] queensman has demonstrated strength of character [100] queensman has demonstrated strength of character [100] queensman has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BossHogg View Post
Cheers dude, I maybe re-donning my Red Cap soon! Just applied to join RMP Reserves, passed previous service checks and just submitted my online medical questionnaire. I need my bumps felt, I'm nearly 48, do I really want to be running around like a new recruit again!

Yes, I had already heard about that through the grapevine. Good luck on that. I had a vision of a jnco in his early twenties screaming at you to get up and run during a beasting. Or a Sgt threatening to put his pace stick through your ears and ride you around the parade ground like a m/cycle.

Oddly I was approached and asked if I would like to join the RAMC reserve, I explained that I could be their test subject if they had any cardiac related problems because of the heart attacks,, I wasn't asked again.
Old 29 Mar 15, 09:36
Major
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossHogg View Post
Hi, I'm BossHogg, I'm a former Royal Military Police corporal and now working as a motorway traffic officer. Looking forward to joining in with the topics.

Ha
I spoke too soon about breaking down, it's a pity your route doesn't take in fleet, Aldershot and surrounds.
I'm sitting in my car at fleet services with a flat battery😡
Last time I was stuck here I was helping our numpty driver change the wheel on a Bedford 4 tonner, stupid sod didn't check the tool kit when he took the lorry.
We had to wait for a reme unit to come and sort it out. Needless to say said driver ended up on rop's for a few weeks and also ended up buying us all maccy dees because we were 4 hours late getting back to oakington barracks near Cambridge and missed dinner. We still got back in time for last orders at the naffi though.
Sponsored Links

Old 29 Mar 15, 11:50
Private First Class
UK

BossHogg is on the path to success [1-99]
I made the cardinal mistake and misfuelled on my way to work on Friday. I filled up with diesel to counteract the petrol I'd put in, I've only just managed to burn the last of the mixture off. I've filled to the brim with fresh diesel so the car is running fine again.
Old 31 Mar 15, 12:42
First Lieutenant
Canada

SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99]
Welcome... They don't call it "The Best Forums in History" for nothing!
Old 12 Apr 15, 11:24
Private
Poland

WillyCicci is on the path to success [1-99]
Hello everybody

I'm new here, so I'll write something about me:

I'm interested in many aspects of military history: campaigns and battles, arms, uniforms and equipment, tactics,etc. If I had to pick my fovourite era it would probably be World War II, but I generally like everything from Medieval to 21st century. I hope I'll learn some new things over here

I also like drawing military themed illustrations - I've been doing it as a hobby since many years. I hope I would be able to post my works here soon
Old 12 Apr 15, 11:26
Major
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyCicci View Post
Hello everybody

I'm new here, so I'll write something about me:

I'm interested in many aspects of military history: campaigns and battles, arms, uniforms and equipment, tactics,etc. If I had to pick my fovourite era it would probably be World War II, but I generally like everything from Medieval to 21st century. I hope I'll learn some new things over here

I also like drawing military themed illustrations - I've been doing it as a hobby since many years. I hope I would be able to post my works here soon

Welcome.
I'm sure you will find many things of interest here. 😊
Old 16 Apr 15, 10:32
Recruit
United_States

tomsusmc is a balanced individual [0]
New Jarhead signing in today....USMC, ChuLai Vietnam Vet, 1965-1966, saying hello to All Vietnam Brothers.....

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!