StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Age of Discovery, Colonization, Revolution, & Expansion > The Wild West

Notices and Announcements

The Wild West Discussions on Cowboys & Indians, Mexican War, etc. Sponsored by Wild West magazine.

Old 22 Feb 05, 00:07
Brigadier General
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Priest is on the path to success [1-99] Priest is on the path to success [1-99]
Thumbs up Most memorable character of the Wild West.

Say what you will about the old west, but, you can't argue the fact that it produced a great number of memerable and flamboyant characters. So who is the most memerable to you? Is it a Lawman such as Wyatt Earp or Pat Garrett? Perhaps it's a villian like Billy the Kid, or Butch Cassady or the Sundance Kid. Was it an Indian fighter such as George Custer. Native Americans also had a lot of memerable people such as Cochise and Geronimo. So...eho is the most memerable old west character for you?
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 22 Feb 05, 00:30
Lieutenant Colonel
Kenya
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priest
Say what you will about the old west, but, you can't argue the fact that it produced a great number of memerable and flamboyant characters. So who is the most memerable to you? Is it a Lawman such as Wyatt Earp or Pat Garrett? Perhaps it's a villian like Billy the Kid, or Butch Cassady or the Sundance Kid. Was it an Indian fighter such as George Custer. Native Americans also had a lot of memerable people such as Cochise and Geronimo. So...eho is the most memerable old west character for you?
I dont know how "old west" of a character but I remeber watching Roy Rogers in westerns all the time and loved them. But I always liked Wyatt Earp always thought he was a great cowboy and always wanted to be him when I played cowboys and indians.
Old 22 Feb 05, 09:36
General of the Forums
Pirate
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Wyatt Earp...hands down.

Hero (or villain) of Dodge City and Tombstone.

Movie Wyatt Earps included: Henry Fonda, Burt Lancaster, James Garner (twice), Kurt Russell and Kevin Costner; on TV he was played by Hugh O'Brien. Wyatt Earp even showed up in an episode of the original Star Trek.
Old 22 Feb 05, 09:38
General of the Forums
United_States

dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700]
dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Mine would be 'Doc' Holliday and that's final!
Old 22 Feb 05, 09:41
Member Emeritus
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Model Forum Group Build 

Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500]
Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500]
Wyatt Earp...hero all the way!! My fav.
Doc Holliday...intruiging character...unique to the old west.
Virgil Earp...the true old west lawman.
The Dalton brothers...lawmen turned overly ambitious bank robbers.
These are my favorites. I love the old West. It is a fascinating period and a lot can be learned from it.
Old 22 Feb 05, 11:01
ACG Forums - General Staff
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400]
I would agree that Wyatt Earp is a very interesting charcter, although trying to separate the truth from the myth can be difficult.

Another individual from an earlier period on the frontier who I have always found compelling is, Christopher "Kit" Carson. His life is a chronical of the county's western expansion. I find the "Mountain Man", the early hunter/trapper of the Rockies of interest. This is partly to find out more about one of my ancestors, Philip Sublette, who was a contemporary of Carson and Jim Bridger.

Peace through superior firepower.
Old 22 Feb 05, 12:26
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200]
Jedediah Smith traveled more extensively in unkown territory than any other mountain man. He discovered the South Pass through the Rockies. In 1826 he led a group of trappers into California, the first Americans to travel overland to California.

http://xroads.virginia.edu/~HYPER/HN...jedesmith.html
Old 22 Feb 05, 13:36
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiredGoon
Jedediah Smith traveled more extensively in unkown territory than any other mountain man. He discovered the South Pass through the Rockies. In 1826 he led a group of trappers into California, the first Americans to travel overland to California.

http://xroads.virginia.edu/~HYPER/HN...jedesmith.html
Goon, my ancestor, Philip Sublette explored/trapped much of this same area, going on three extensive expeditions from 1829-37. He was one of the first Americans to reach the Powder River.

Peace through superior firepower.
Old 22 Feb 05, 23:54
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200]
That's awesome! Sublette and the other "mountain men" were incredibly tough to live the life they did. But what a life! One of my favorite descriptions of the "mountain man" life is from "Del Gue" in the movie Jeremiah Johnson:

"Ain't this somethin'? I told my Pap and Mam I was comin' to the mountains to.... be a mountain man. Acted like they was gutshot. Says 'son, make your life go here, here's where the peoples is. Them mountains is for animals and savages.' I says 'Mother Gue, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world,' and by God, I was right. This here is God's finest sculpterin'. I ain't never seen 'em, but my common sense tells me the Andes is foothills, and the Alps is for children to climb.

And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones, and there ain't no churches 'cept for this'un right here, and there ain't no priests 'cept for the birds. BY GOD I ARE A MOUNATAIN MAN!!! And I'll live 'til an arrow or bullet flys through me, and then I'll leave my bones...."
Old 28 Feb 05, 12:26
Brigadier General
United_States

Jon@lbc is on the path to success [1-99] Jon@lbc is on the path to success [1-99]
GERONIMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that's all i gotsta say.

Old 28 Feb 05, 13:46
Lieutenant General
United_States

Secret Agent is on the path to success [1-99] Secret Agent is on the path to success [1-99]
I was too young to remember.
Old 01 Mar 05, 08:00

Its Crazy Horse for me... although if I want to stay real local - I could go with Jim Bridger...
Old 14 Feb 06, 23:12
Lieutenant General
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Model Forum Group Build 

Dolley is a pillar of the community [1100] Dolley is a pillar of the community [1100]
Dolley is a pillar of the community [1100] Dolley is a pillar of the community [1100] Dolley is a pillar of the community [1100] Dolley is a pillar of the community [1100] Dolley is a pillar of the community [1100] Dolley is a pillar of the community [1100] Dolley is a pillar of the community [1100] Dolley is a pillar of the community [1100] Dolley is a pillar of the community [1100] Dolley is a pillar of the community [1100] Dolley is a pillar of the community [1100] Dolley is a pillar of the community [1100] Dolley is a pillar of the community [1100]
I like Davy Crockett. He fought Injuns, was a congressman, and fought and died bravely at the Alamo.
Old 15 Feb 06, 22:13
ACG Forums - Guardiano di Roma
Pirate
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 
SPQR Campaign 

Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
William Bonnie

Sitting Bull

Wyatt Earp

Crazy Horse

Zebulon Pike

Chief Joseph

The Daltons

John Wesley Hardin

Bat Masterson

William Hickock

Hard to pick just one!

ACG History Today

BoRG
Old 23 Feb 06, 20:21
Colonel
United_States

GunNutUSMC has demonstrated strength of character [100] GunNutUSMC has demonstrated strength of character [100] GunNutUSMC has demonstrated strength of character [100] GunNutUSMC has demonstrated strength of character [100] GunNutUSMC has demonstrated strength of character [100] GunNutUSMC has demonstrated strength of character [100] GunNutUSMC has demonstrated strength of character [100] GunNutUSMC has demonstrated strength of character [100]
wut about jim boey

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!