StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Books, Film and Media > Books

Notices and Announcements

Books Looking for a particular reference work? Post it here. Also, talk about what you're currently reading with other members.

Old 31 Jan 05, 17:37
Brigadier General
Ireland
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Wolfe Tone has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wolfe Tone has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wolfe Tone has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wolfe Tone has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wolfe Tone has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wolfe Tone has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wolfe Tone has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wolfe Tone has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Panzer Battles by Mellethin is IMO a brilliant book and is a great study of Operational warfare.

Sure it's byast but name a military memoir that is not!

Guderians work I also have but never read it cover to cover, it always struck me as being over burdened with detail that distracted from the main story.

But its a while since I picked it up so more than happy to be wrong about it as I paid good money for the hardback version
Old 31 Jan 05, 17:43
Brigadier General
Ireland

Wolfe Tone has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wolfe Tone has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wolfe Tone has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wolfe Tone has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wolfe Tone has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wolfe Tone has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wolfe Tone has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wolfe Tone has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Just finished The Wars of the Brucesand found it very interesting.

I learnt a lot about the wars and raids along the Scottish/English borders and about Robet Bruce, his brother Edward Bruce and England's King Edward II.

Also the Irish campaign was highly interesting which led me to purchase Robert the Bruce's Irish Wars by Sean Duffy.

However I will hold off on that for now and proceed from tomorrow to start on

Battle for Budapest: 100 Days in World War II by Krisztian Ungvary
Old 31 Jan 05, 17:52
Captain
France

nemo is on the path to success [1-99] nemo is on the path to success [1-99] nemo is on the path to success [1-99] nemo is on the path to success [1-99] nemo is on the path to success [1-99]
In the thick of Hew Strachan's The First World War - Volume 1: To Arms. Surprisingly easy to read for an academic author and yet puts forward a whole lot of new (to me at least) aspects of the first months of the conflict.
Old 31 Jan 05, 17:58
Lieutenant General
United_States

Redwolf has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redwolf has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redwolf has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redwolf has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redwolf has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redwolf has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redwolf has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redwolf has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redwolf has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redwolf has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redwolf has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwolf
Angles of Attack : An A-6 Intruder Pilot's War
by PETER HUNT

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846
I gave up on that one and now I'm in

"Somalia on $5 a Day : A soldier's Story"
by MARTIN STANTON

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

It is a report from the deployment of American forces to Somalia in the year before the famous "Black Hawk Down" battle.

Contrary to what the title and look imply, this book is rather oversaturated with military details. If you want to know precisely how a light division's infantry battalion was layed out in 1992, this is your book.

It also gives better or more impressions of the situation in Somalia at the time and what peacekeepers are facing.

There are many direct "lessons learned" in there, from when it is worth to defend a warehouse, whether it is a good idea to let some of the supplies slip and what it must feel like for a few tiny Japanese businessmen to try to seperate two NYC street gangs battling each other.
Old 06 Feb 05, 13:59
Private First Class
Germany

D-ploy is a balanced individual [0]
Finished "The Influence of Air Power upon History" by Walter J. Boyne.
Interesting read, focused on U.S.

In between I read "Armored Cav" by Tom Clancy to get up to speed for the game "Flashpoint Germany".
A nice depiction of the Cav, although a bit dated (1994), the Comanche and XM8 were scrapped since, I think.

Now started "Green Team" by Richard Marcinko for something light in between.

Cheers
Oliver
Old 14 Feb 05, 14:10
Major
United_States

eagle101 is on the path to success [1-99]
General Patton by stanly hirshon

Thanks

"We're not lost private, we're in Normandy"-

Lt. Richard Winters 101st 506 pir
Old 14 Feb 05, 14:23
First Sergeant
Spain

jorge is on the path to success [1-99]
"Panzer Aces 2" by Franz Kurowski. "Bloody Biscay", Ju88 long range maritime fighter unit. Some stuff about WW1.
Old 14 Feb 05, 15:54
Sergeant Major
Australia

Mick is on the path to success [1-99]
This web forum!.....oh book......"The wild blue" Stephen E Ambrose!
Old 14 Feb 05, 17:22
Banned
New_Zealand

Marines has demonstrated strength of character [100] Marines has demonstrated strength of character [100] Marines has demonstrated strength of character [100] Marines has demonstrated strength of character [100] Marines has demonstrated strength of character [100] Marines has demonstrated strength of character [100] Marines has demonstrated strength of character [100] Marines has demonstrated strength of character [100] Marines has demonstrated strength of character [100] Marines has demonstrated strength of character [100]
The Comming Plague-Newly Emerging Diseases In A World Out Of Balance by Laurie Garrett and The Principles of Virology-Molecular Biology, Pathogenesis and Control.
Old 14 Feb 05, 18:27
Private First Class
Germany

D-ploy is a balanced individual [0]
Re-read Red Phoenix by Larry Bond.
Started First Clash by Kenneth Macksey.

Cheers
Oliver

Old 14 Feb 05, 19:37
Captain
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Phil Kost is on the path to success [1-99] Phil Kost is on the path to success [1-99] Phil Kost is on the path to success [1-99] Phil Kost is on the path to success [1-99] Phil Kost is on the path to success [1-99] Phil Kost is on the path to success [1-99] Phil Kost is on the path to success [1-99]
Just read "General John Buford" by Edward Longacre

Phil
Old 15 Feb 05, 14:05
General
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

last_cav1971 is on the path to success [1-99] last_cav1971 is on the path to success [1-99] last_cav1971 is on the path to success [1-99] last_cav1971 is on the path to success [1-99] last_cav1971 is on the path to success [1-99] last_cav1971 is on the path to success [1-99] last_cav1971 is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfe Tone
Just finished The Wars of the Brucesand found it very interesting.

I learnt a lot about the wars and raids along the Scottish/English borders and about Robet Bruce, his brother Edward Bruce and England's King Edward II.

Also the Irish campaign was highly interesting which led me to purchase Robert the Bruce's Irish Wars by Sean Duffy.

However I will hold off on that for now and proceed from tomorrow to start on

Battle for Budapest: 100 Days in World War II by Krisztian Ungvary
Been doing family research....found out FINALLY after searching for years that my lineage leads back to William Christian "Illiam Dhone". From there up, my line leads to Fletcher Christian and "HMS Bounty".
I have several cousins around Milntown, Isle of Mann as well as Scotland and Ireland.
Can you recommend any good books on the "Bounty"?

Mark
Deo Vindice
Salus Per Christum
Old 15 Feb 05, 17:46
ACG Forums - General Staff
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfe Tone
Panzer Battles by Mellethin is IMO a brilliant book and is a great study of Operational warfare.

Sure it's byast but name a military memoir that is not!

Guderians work I also have but never read it cover to cover, it always struck me as being over burdened with detail that distracted from the main story.

But its a while since I picked it up so more than happy to be wrong about it as I paid good money for the hardback version
I would give von Mellethin's book a , ironically I read it last year as we had the first CDG about the Crusader Offensive in the western desert. Personally my favorite book of this genre is Hans von Lucks "Panzer Commander"..........

Peace through superior firepower.
Old 15 Feb 05, 17:48
ACG Forums - General Staff
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Kost
Just read "General John Buford" by Edward Longacre

Phil
Another good one that I read a while ago. It only seems in recent years that Buford gets the credit he deserves.........

I guess having Sam Elliot portray you on film doesn't hurt either.........

Peace through superior firepower.
Old 05 Mar 05, 01:59
First Sergeant
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 

Brad Ritter is on the path to success [1-99]
With the old Breed at Peleliu and Okinawa. E.B.Sledge

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!