StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Books, Film and Media > Books

Notices and Announcements

Books Looking for a particular reference work? Post it here. Also, talk about what you're currently reading with other members.

Old 05 Jan 05, 15:08
General of the Forums
Pirate
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Custer6
Hi Doctor,
I read that book too. I thought it was great. About the only thing I found disappointing was the lack of credit given to USArmy artillery. Atkinson seems to have ignored the very important contribution this branch of the armed forces made to the victory.

Great stuff on the relationship among the Generals with each other. Even among the Generals, friends fired friends. Says alot about the commitment of the USArmy to victory.
Custer6

I agree on the Arty' omission. The way he tracked the activation of the National Guard units through training, deployment and combat was very well done. I've also read his Gulf War book, Crusade and thought it was well done. Have you heard when he may release the second book in the Liberation Trilogy?

The Doctor
Old 05 Jan 05, 15:10
Colonel
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Many books about Stalingrad:

Battle of Stalingrad - Marshal Vasili Chuikov, 1968

Two hundred Days of Fire - Progress Publishers, Moscow, 1963.

Secret of Stalingrad - Walter Kerr, 1979

Stalingrad; Defeat of the German 6th Army - Paul Carell, 1980s....

Kevin
Old 05 Jan 05, 15:17
Brigadier General
United_States

Iron Mike USMC is on the path to success [1-99] Iron Mike USMC is on the path to success [1-99]
A Lonely Kind of War: Forward Air Controller, Vietnam
by MARSHALL HARRISON

Just finished it, for the second time.

It is a narrative by a FAC flying OV-10 Broncos in the mid-late 60's. One of the better Vietnam books I have read.

Never let the facts get in the way of the truth.
Old 05 Jan 05, 22:56
ACG Forums - General Staff
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200]
I recently picked up Redcoats: The British Soldier and War in the Americas, 1755-1763 by Stephen Brumwell. It's one I've been wanting to get for awhile now.

"Drawing on wide-ranging research in North American and British archives, he revises the standard negative view of the ordinary British soldiers and their officers. This negative view sees the rank and file as the dregs of society who obeyed orders only out of fear of the lash, while their officers tended to be unimaginative fops or fools who had purchased their commissions. While not denying that there is an element of truth in these stereotypes, Brumwell demonstrates that by the end of the war Britain's "American Army" had become a flexible, impressive fighting machine. Brumwell notes the irony that George Washington's Continental Army owed much of its success to its emulation of the British army in the Seven Years' War.

Recent scholarship has highlighted the significance of the Seven Year's War for the destiny of Britain's Atlantic empire. This major study offers an important new perspective through a vivid and scholarly account of the regular troops at the sharp end of that conflict's bloody and decisive American campaigns. Fresh sources are employed to challenge enduring stereotypes regarding both the social composition and military prowess of the "redcoats". Stephen Brumwell shows how the humble soldiers who fought from Nova Scotia to Cuba developed a powerful esprit de corps that equipped them to defy savage discipline in defence of their "rights." He traces the evolution of Britain's "American Army" from a feeble, conservative and discredited organization into a tough, flexible and innovative force whose victories ultimately won the respect of colonial Americans."

Last edited by HiredGoon; 05 Jan 05 at 22:59..
Old 06 Jan 05, 10:18
First Sergeant
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 

Custer6 has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor
Custer6

I agree on the Arty' omission. The way he tracked the activation of the National Guard units through training, deployment and combat was very well done. I've also read his Gulf War book, Crusade and thought it was well done. Have you heard when he may release the second book in the Liberation Trilogy?

The Doctor
Hi Doc,
The next volume was originally scheduled for this year but it was put off until 2006 while Atkinson worked on a different project. I think the new project is involved with the current war in Iraq.

I liked "Crusade" too.
Old 14 Jan 05, 13:46
General of the Forums
Canada
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500]
tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Custer6
Hi Doctor,
About the only thing I found disappointing was the lack of credit given to USArmy artillery. Atkinson seems to have ignored the very important contribution this branch of the armed forces made to the victory.
In all fairness, Atkinson does acknowledge the contribution that Irwin's artillerymen made to stopping Rommel at Thala.
Old 14 Jan 05, 17:02
Private
Ireland

Garbo is a balanced individual [0]
I've just started reading Garbo: The Spy that saved D-Day. I think it has all his messages that he sent and recieved, translated thankfully.
Old 17 Jan 05, 16:05
Private First Class
Germany

D-ploy is a balanced individual [0]
Finished "Iron Tigers" by Michael Farmer
Started "The Influence of Air Power upon History" by Walter J. Boyne

Last edited by D-ploy; 17 Jan 05 at 16:14..
Old 17 Jan 05, 16:18
ACG Forums - General Staff
England
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Just Finished "Armegeddon to the Fall of Rome".

Just starting "Holy War: The Crusades and the Shaping of the Modern Middle East". Looks to be informative since the author is approaching the subject from all three viewpoints (Judaism, Christianity, Islam).

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.
Old 17 Jan 05, 18:01
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Hello,

I've read some of few following books...I don't remember titles exactly, so please excuse me if I got them wrong...it's just off my head...

The most important book of all, the King James Version Bible!

FDR's Folly by Jim Powell, it describes how FDR prolonged Depression.

Iraq War by John Keegan, a summary of Operation Iraqi Freedom, a good book if you like Keegan.

Basic Economics by Thomas Sowell, another book on economics

Plymouth Plantaton by William Bradford, edited by Samuel Eliot Morris (1950 edition), a great book that tries to keep language changes to a minimum, thus rendering the quality of original manuscript.

Mayflower and Pilgrims by David Beale, a book on journey of Pilgrims and how they became America's spiritual ancestors.

Well, that's it...

Dan

"Aim small, miss small."

Chieftain Iosephus Namathus of Brigantes, Eagles Deux

"I am Britannia!"
Sponsored Links

Old 18 Jan 05, 16:29
Brigadier General
Ireland

Wolfe Tone has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wolfe Tone has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wolfe Tone has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wolfe Tone has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wolfe Tone has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wolfe Tone has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wolfe Tone has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wolfe Tone has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Just started reading last night:

The Wars of the Bruces: Scotland,England and Ireland 1306-1328.

by Colm McNamee

I bought this some years ago but I am only geting around to reading it now. It reads well and the author covers not just the political and military action but also the economic, social and cultural impacts that these series of Wars had on Britain and Ireland at the time.
Old 18 Jan 05, 21:13
Lance Corporal
Canada

aneifer is on the path to success [1-99]
I'm almost done reading "Fighting in Hell, The German Ordeal on the Eastern Front."

It is based on the recollections of veteran German commanders while serving in Russia.
It's pretty detailed in the analysis of weather, equipment, roads, rails, tactical movment, terrain, and logistics. A very good read for those who are interested in the Eastern Front.

Another excellent book is "Stalingrad" by Anthony Beavor. I've read it 4 times, and need to buy another copy of it.
Old 18 Jan 05, 22:32
Vas Fullonibus
Armchair_General
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Model Forum Group Build Victor 
Model Forum Group Build (Multiple - Ace) 

Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Nostromo by Joseph Conrad. I'm continuing on my own with some things from a 20th C lit course I took a few months ago.

Dieppe: August 19 by Eric Maguire. This was published in 1963. I enjoy some of the older books. They have more primary sources available to the author and it's interesting to compare them to more recent analysis and examine what has been learned or unlearned.

True Canadian War Stories from Legion Magazine. Not as good as I had hoped. Too much is written by a single woman about her experience as a WAAF.

The Gathering Storm by Winston Churchill. This series won the Nobel prize for literature. Read it and it's obvious why. An excellent series. If you ever see the reading list of George Patton, put out by his widow, on it there is an entry "Anything by Churchill." This is Churchill's peak of writing.

Last edited by Duncan; 18 Jan 05 at 22:36..
Old 19 Jan 05, 13:20
General of the Forums
United_States

dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700]
dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700]
I'm reading TORPEDO JUNCTION by Homer H. Hickam, Jr.

This is about the U-boat war off the Atlantic coast in 1942.
Amazing how effective the U-boats were and the lack of coastal
waters defense by the Americans . Nice read.
Old 19 Jan 05, 15:41
Brigadier General
Ireland

Wolfe Tone has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wolfe Tone has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wolfe Tone has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wolfe Tone has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wolfe Tone has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wolfe Tone has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wolfe Tone has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wolfe Tone has demonstrated strength of character [100]
[QUOTE=Juno]Nostromo by Joseph Conrad. I'm continuing on my own with some things from a 20th C lit course I took a few months ago.

Nostromo by Joseph Conrad.

Good Book that! I read it last year and was very impressed by the quality of the writing.

Intend to read Heart of Darkness this year.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!