StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Books, Film and Media > Books

Notices and Announcements

Books Looking for a particular reference work? Post it here. Also, talk about what you're currently reading with other members.

Old 29 Mar 17, 20:38
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II SPQR Campaign 

Captain General gives and gets respect [800]
Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800]
"Sharp Ends: Stories From the World of the First Law" by Joe Abercrombie.

Homer

BoRG
Old 06 Apr 17, 13:31
First Lieutenant
Canada

SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99]
Slavery in the Caribbean Francophone world: Distant Voices, Forgotten Acts, Forged Identities by Doris Y. Kadish
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...ncophone-world
The Black Jacobins Toussaint L'Ouverture and the San Domingo Revolution by C.L.R. James
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7...Black_Jacobins

Last edited by SmackUm; 06 Apr 17 at 13:32.. Reason: spelling
Old 11 Apr 17, 14:41
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Mountain Man has disabled reputation
Local histories and the latest Steve Berry book.
Old 12 Apr 17, 10:44
First Lieutenant
Canada

SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99]
Written in Blood: the Story of the Haitian People 1492-1995 by Robert Debs Heinl, Nancy Gordon Heinl, Michael Heinl.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...itten-in-blood
Old 12 Apr 17, 11:10
Lieutenant General
Canada
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300] Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300] Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300] Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300] Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300] Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300] Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300] Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300] Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300] Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300] Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300] Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300] Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300] Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300]
"Guns, Germs and Steel" on audiobook.

Quite interesting for armchair generals...Although I must say that I am happy to be listening to it during my commute in my car...I'm not sure I would have been patient or interested enough to read though some stuff, if I actually had the book in my hands.
Old 12 Apr 17, 17:22
General of the Forums
Sinc
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Tsar is simply cracking [600]
Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt AFB View Post
"Guns, Germs and Steel" on audiobook.

Quite interesting for armchair generals...Although I must say that I am happy to be listening to it during my commute in my car...I'm not sure I would have been patient or interested enough to read though some stuff, if I actually had the book in my hands.

I have the book but havenít started to read it yet. From what I have seen about it Iím not sure that I agree with everything he is saying though.
Old 12 Apr 17, 18:01
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

lakechampainer is simply cracking [600]
lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600]
Chuck Noll: His Life's Work by Michael MacCambridge
Old 13 Apr 17, 10:52
First Lieutenant
Canada

Stolen Continents: 500 Years of Conquest and Resistance in the America's by Ronald Wright. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...len_Continents
Old 16 Apr 17, 15:09
ACG Forums - General Staff
Canada
Distinguished Service Award Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

CarpeDiem gives and gets respect [800] CarpeDiem gives and gets respect [800]
CarpeDiem gives and gets respect [800] CarpeDiem gives and gets respect [800] CarpeDiem gives and gets respect [800] CarpeDiem gives and gets respect [800]

Good English language overview of conflict in China between the world wars. Nice selection of photographs too
Old 18 Apr 17, 21:18
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II SPQR Campaign 

Captain General gives and gets respect [800]
Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800]
"Germany Ascendant: The Eastern Front 1915" by Pritt Buttar.

Homer

BoRG
Sponsored Links

Old 20 Apr 17, 14:16
Brigadier General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

McMax is on a distinguished road [300] McMax is on a distinguished road [300] McMax is on a distinguished road [300] McMax is on a distinguished road [300] McMax is on a distinguished road [300] McMax is on a distinguished road [300] McMax is on a distinguished road [300] McMax is on a distinguished road [300] McMax is on a distinguished road [300] McMax is on a distinguished road [300] McMax is on a distinguished road [300] McMax is on a distinguished road [300] McMax is on a distinguished road [300]
Old 26 Apr 17, 15:14
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Early last week we were in Kalispell, MT visiting kids and grand-daughters and on Monday they were at work and school so we made the rounds of the local used bookstores. It was a bit gray and drizzly that AM and on a rack outside marked "free" were many volumes getting damp. What the heck, did a quick scan and caught the name "Ralph Peters", and it was somewhat sheltered from the rain, so snagged it. Started reading it several days ago and just finished. Very impressed as this is the first of his fiction I've read;

Flames of Heaven -
EXCERPT:
A novel years ahead of its time, set in the final days of the Soviet Union and heralding the birth of the new Russia, this dark but finally transcendent novel proved controversial when first issued in the United States, but went on to sell out multiple editions in Russia and the states of Eastern Europe, where it was considered the finest and most accurate novel written by anyone about the human tragedies and triumphs at the end of the communist empire. Flames of Heaven follows the intertwined fates of a cynical artist squandering his talent, a failed-idealist veteran of Afghanistan, a stunning Central Asian beauty, and a young woman for whom religious faith is her only certainty. This is one of the enduring novels of our time.
https://www.amazon.com/Flames-Heaven...3226745&sr=1-1

Copyrighted about 1993, I was impressed by how well and accurate he captured the essense of that time.
Old 26 Apr 17, 16:27
Canada
Distinguished Service Award Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

CarpeDiem gives and gets respect [800] CarpeDiem gives and gets respect [800] CarpeDiem gives and gets respect [800] CarpeDiem gives and gets respect [800]

The author was a TAG in an Avenger squadron and looks at the complete history of the type's service in the FAA. He also includes stories from veterans of all but one of the FAA squadrons who used the Avenger.
Old 02 May 17, 07:18
General of the Forums
UK
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

MarkV is simply cracking [600]
MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600]
Churchill's Wizards. British deception in two world wars
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wiz.jpg (216.9 KB, 3 views)
Old 02 May 17, 13:28
Canada

Interesting read as it is one of the few books available in English describing the Italian experience in the Desert War

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!