StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Books, Film and Media > Books

Notices and Announcements

Books Looking for a particular reference work? Post it here. Also, talk about what you're currently reading with other members.

Old 20 Mar 17, 12:59
ACG Forums - Africanus Majoris
Israel
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign 

Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Conclave

About to start in Robert Harris' 'Conclave'.

Before I dive in I decided to post this first as he normally keeps me up...

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.
Old 20 Mar 17, 19:13
ACG Author
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Sennef View Post
About to start in Robert Harris' 'Conclave'.

Before I dive in I decided to post this first as he normally keeps me up...
Your endorsement tempts me to add another book to my already high 'to read' stack.
Old 21 Mar 17, 10:35
Israel
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign 

Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.N. Armstrong View Post
Your endorsement tempts me to add another book to my already high 'to read' stack.
Please do, about half-way now and I'm hooked, line and sinker

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.
Old 21 Mar 17, 11:45
ACG Author
United_States

R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
Quote:
Please do, about half-way now and I'm hooked, line and sinker
Which of his other books did you like best?
Old 21 Mar 17, 12:15
Israel

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.N. Armstrong View Post
Which of his other books did you like best?
Officer & a Spy I think I like best.

Runners up:
Fatherland (very dark)
Cicero series

Sponsored Links

Old 21 Mar 17, 14:36
Brigadier General
Australia

Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200]
Just finished China Marine by Eugene Sledge An excellent followup to one of the top ten war memoirs ever written. (With the Old Breed, that is).

I've just started Unknown Soldiers by Vaino Linna, about a Finnish machine gun company in the Continuation War. A promising read so far (about 100 pages in).

You, the mothers, who sent their sons from faraway countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace, after having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.

-- Ataturk
Old 22 Mar 17, 19:14
ACG Author
United_States

Quote:
Officer & a Spy I think I like best.

Runners up:
Fatherland (very dark)
Cicero series
I was thinking Officer and a Spy, thanks.
Old 23 Mar 17, 04:42
Lieutenant Colonel
EU
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99]
Re reading "das Kapital".
Old 25 Mar 17, 16:58
ACG Forums - General Staff
Canada
Distinguished Service Award Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

CarpeDiem gives and gets respect [800] CarpeDiem gives and gets respect [800]
CarpeDiem gives and gets respect [800] CarpeDiem gives and gets respect [800] CarpeDiem gives and gets respect [800] CarpeDiem gives and gets respect [800]
An article from "The Occasional Number 31, Nov 1997: Amphibious Operations" from the Strategic & Combat Studies Institute. It's by Mark Grove and titled "The Development of Japanese Amphibious Warfare 1874 to 1942". Interesting and has led me to some further reading.
Old 26 Mar 17, 20:47
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500]
skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500]
Just finished The Edge of Honor. Deutermann did a good job here.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0056IBFSM...ng=UTF8&btkr=1
Old 27 Mar 17, 07:32
General of the Forums
Finland
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900]
Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900]
Submission by Michel Houellebecq. Our fascists, racists, anti-moslems, and other concerned members should read this book to get a bit clearer picture.
Old 27 Mar 17, 09:54
General of the Forums
Belgium
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
This is a thread I don't see every week

"To kill a mockingbird" by Harper Lee.

Captain Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Co.
Old 27 Mar 17, 12:13
General of the Forums
Finland
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900]
Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackshot View Post
Just finished China Marine by Eugene Sledge An excellent followup to one of the top ten war memoirs ever written. (With the Old Breed, that is).

I've just started Unknown Soldiers by Vaino Linna, about a Finnish machine gun company in the Continuation War. A promising read so far (about 100 pages in).

Unknown soldier is perhaps my favorite war book, and quite different as well. The preceding trilogy "Under the northern star" is worth a read as well, but I doubt it's easy to find even in Finnish.
Old 29 Mar 17, 12:38
Brigadier General
Australia

Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karri View Post
Unknown soldier is perhaps my favorite war book, and quite different as well. The preceding trilogy "Under the northern star" is worth a read as well, but I doubt it's easy to find even in Finnish.
Yes, I'm liking it very much so far. I've wanted to get it for ages, but heard the original translation was pretty bad. So when I found out if had been reprinted with a better one, I ordered it straight away.
You, the mothers, who sent their sons from faraway countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace, after having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.

-- Ataturk
Old 29 Mar 17, 12:40
Brigadier General
Australia

Also, before China Marine I read Fate is the Hunter, by Ernest Gann, about early commercial aviation in the US (it also covers his war experiences as a transport pilot. Well-recommended.

-- Ataturk
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!