StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Books, Film and Media > Books

Notices and Announcements

Books Looking for a particular reference work? Post it here. Also, talk about what you're currently reading with other members.

Old 22 Aug 16, 22:40
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II SPQR Campaign 

Captain General gives and gets respect [800]
Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwaha View Post
You guys should try The Black Company series. Really good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Company
Read it 30 plus years ago when they first came out. Good books. I lost track of the last few entries in the series though.

I met Glen Cook at a SCi Fi/Gaming convention in the late 80s.

Homer

BoRG
Old 23 Aug 16, 07:33
General of the Forums
UK
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

MarkV is simply cracking [600]
MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600]
Have read the old Conan Doyle classic - The White Company - set in the 100 Years War
Old 24 Aug 16, 21:56
ACG Forums - General Staff
Canada
Distinguished Service Award Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

CarpeDiem gives and gets respect [800] CarpeDiem gives and gets respect [800]
CarpeDiem gives and gets respect [800] CarpeDiem gives and gets respect [800] CarpeDiem gives and gets respect [800] CarpeDiem gives and gets respect [800]

KANGZHAN: GUIDE TO CHINESE GROUND FORCES 193745

book description:
Quote:

Kangzhan: Guide to Chinese Ground Forces 193745 is the first ready reference to the organization and armament of Chinese ground forces during the Sino-Japanese War of 193745. The work integrates Chinese, Japanese and Western sources to examine the details of the structure and weapons of the period. Recent scholarship has contributed greatly to our understanding of China's role in the war, but this is the first book to deal with the bottom-level underpinnings of this massive army, crucial to an understanding of its tactical and operational utility.

An introductory chapter discusses the military operations in China, often given short shrift in World War II histories. The work then traces the evolution of the national army's organizational structure from the end of the Northern Expedition to the conclusion of World War II. Included are tables of organization and strength reports for the wartime period.

The armament section illustrates and details not only the characteristics of the many and varied weapons used in China, many seen nowhere else, but also their acquisition and such local production as was undertaken. This is complemented by a chapter on the arsenals and their evolution and production programs.

The Chinese army was one of the largest of the war and it, and Japan's, fought longer than any other. It faced unique challenges, including fragmented loyalties, huge expanses of territory, poor logistics networks, inadequate arms supplies, and, often, incompetence and corruption. Nevertheless, they fought bravely in major battles through 1941 and were able to counterpunch effectively in important regions through the rest of the war. Aimed at both military historians and wargamers, this work fills an important gap in our understanding of this, the most under-appreciated army of the war.
This book is currently the best resource in English for the Chinese Army of the period. Its breadth of material is impressive, covering all types of weapons (imported and locally produced from small arms to armour and artillery), organization and training for all the various forces fighting on the Chinese side (including the communists).
One improvement over Ness' previous two volume work on the Japanese army, Rikugun, is the use of a heavier glossier stock for the pages which means the photo reproductions (and there are a lot of images in this book) are much crisper and easier to make out.
If you have any interest in the Sino-Japanese conflict of the period this book is essential for your library.
Old 25 Aug 16, 05:30
General of the Forums
UK
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Sergio gives and gets respect [800] Sergio gives and gets respect [800]
Sergio gives and gets respect [800] Sergio gives and gets respect [800] Sergio gives and gets respect [800] Sergio gives and gets respect [800]

"They promised us homes fit for heroes, they give us heroes fit for homes."
Grandad, Only Fools and Horses
Old 25 Aug 16, 06:26
ACG Forums - Africanus Majoris
Israel
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign 

Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Judging a book from its cover, it reminds me a bit of Robert Harris' Fatherland. Any truth in that?

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.
Old 25 Aug 16, 07:51
General of the Forums
UK

MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600]
Appears to be more akin to Phillip Kerr's Berlin Noir: March Violets / The Pale Criminal / A German Requiem novels
Old 25 Aug 16, 09:42
Israel
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign 

Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkV View Post
Appears to be more akin to Phillip Kerr's Berlin Noir: March Violets / The Pale Criminal / A German Requiem novels
That would almost be equally good

Let's hear it from Sergio!

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.
Old 25 Aug 16, 13:50
General of the Forums
UK
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Sergio gives and gets respect [800] Sergio gives and gets respect [800] Sergio gives and gets respect [800] Sergio gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sennef View Post
That would almost be equally good

Let's hear it from Sergio!
Came across it in a charity shop and I have only just started it so it is a bit difficult to make a full comparison to Fatherland but it is interesting so far and it is based on the case of Georg Heuser. The idea of a man who was involved in tracking down the S Bahn serial killer and how he (and those like him) in turn became a mass murderer and part of the Holocaust is a good one. It has, also, made me ask or think about a few things so that is a good sign. A lot of the people in the book really existed, a lot of the events are historical but obviously many of the conversations and thoughts will have been made up.

Overall not too bad so far but there have been a few awkwardly phrased bits of writing that stood out. I have not read Phillip Kerr's books.

Old 25 Aug 16, 15:41
Israel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
It has, also, made me ask or think about a few things so that is a good sign.
I agree, this is always a good sign if a book does that to you.

With this sort of books, set in Nazi Germany, I often wonder what I would have done if I had lived in Germany in the thirties and early 40s and the result does not make me feel proud of myself.
I do not rule out that, had I been in that situation, perhaps without having joined the Nazi party, I too, like so many reasonable Germans, could have been of the opinion that the Nazis had the moral toughness required to restore Germany to its rightful place in Europe
I'm afraid that only too late I might have realised that I and Germany could not get rid of the Nazis anymore and had to sit out the ride with them wherever it took us

Thnx Sergio for this mention, I have put this book on my wish list.

Old 25 Aug 16, 16:21
General of the Forums
UK
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sennef View Post
I agree, this is always a good sign if a book does that to you.

With this sort of books, set in Nazi Germany, I often wonder what I would have done if I had lived in Germany in the thirties and early 40s and the result does not make me feel proud of myself.
I do not rule out that, had I been in that situation, perhaps without having joined the Nazi party, I too, like so many reasonable Germans, could have been of the opinion that the Nazis had the moral toughness required to restore Germany to its rightful place in Europe
I'm afraid that only too late I might have realised that I and Germany could not get rid of the Nazis anymore and had to sit out the ride with them wherever it took us

Thnx Sergio for this mention, I have put this book on my wish list.
My pleasure. The book does seem to have got some reasonable reviews, lets hope the rest of the book matches those! That is the question is it not - how would any of use have acted during that horror show. Or perhaps how do many people act now with all that is going on. How many would keep quiet out of fear or worse how many would eventually actively go along with it.

Last edited by Sergio; 25 Aug 16 at 16:43..
Sponsored Links

Old 09 Sep 16, 23:55
General of the Forums
Sinc
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Tsar is simply cracking [600]
Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600]
I just picked up--

Shattered Sword the untold story of the battle of Midway.

It is told from the Japanese side.
Old 19 Sep 16, 18:47
Colonel
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300]
I am currently reading The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain.
Old 21 Sep 16, 09:57
ACG Author
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
Currently reading Joby Warrick's "Black Flags: The Rise of ISIS", winner of the 2016 Pulitzer Prize for general nonfiction. The major book sections are 'The Rise of Zarqawi', 'Iraq', and 'ISIS'.

I was attracted to the book for the section on Zarqawi. In my International Security course, I taught students to identify dots in a large number of reports and sources and how to connect dots for an answer to a question, and in this case, "How did the United States finally track and kill Zaqarwi at a remote safe house outside of Baghdad?" The first dot was Zaqarwi was a Jordanian.

I'm learning a lot on Zarqawi and Jordan in the early days as well as the dots for the rise of ISIS.
Old 26 Sep 16, 09:43
General of the Forums
UK

A Golden Oldie " The Road to En-Dor by E H Jones which describes how he and another British Officer using the skills of fake mediumship managed to con their Turkish captors into eventually repatriating them in 1918. Neil Gaiman recently adapted it for film but I have not seen this.

Interestingly the British SF writer Eric Frank Russell nicked the essentials for "Next of Kin" in which a downed Terran recce pilot cons his way out of a POW camp on a far away planet using the same methods.
Old 27 Sep 16, 20:47
Sergeant Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

ktnbs is on the path to success [1-99] ktnbs is on the path to success [1-99] ktnbs is on the path to success [1-99]
The Pigeon Tunnel: Stories from My Life, John le Carre

audible version with le Carre reading it. Quite good.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!