StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Books, Film and Media > Books

Notices and Announcements

Books Looking for a particular reference work? Post it here. Also, talk about what you're currently reading with other members.

Old 01 Jun 16, 01:54
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
After over 30 years, I finally got another copy of this:

Old 01 Jun 16, 19:51
First Lieutenant
Canada

SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99]
In The Face of Danger: The History of The Lake Superior Regiment (Motor) 52nd Battalion (C.E.F.) in two Wars 1914- 1918 & 1939- 1945 by George F. G. Stanley
Old 01 Jun 16, 19:57
First Lieutenant
Canada

SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Evans View Post
After over 30 years, I finally got another copy of this:

It must have made a good impression on you to hunt another copy down after 30 years!
Old 01 Jun 16, 23:49
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Sgt. Rock has earned the respect of all [900] Sgt. Rock has earned the respect of all [900]
Sgt. Rock has earned the respect of all [900] Sgt. Rock has earned the respect of all [900] Sgt. Rock has earned the respect of all [900] Sgt. Rock has earned the respect of all [900] Sgt. Rock has earned the respect of all [900] Sgt. Rock has earned the respect of all [900] Sgt. Rock has earned the respect of all [900] Sgt. Rock has earned the respect of all [900] Sgt. Rock has earned the respect of all [900]
"Hunting the Jackal: A Special Forces and CIA Soldier's Fifty Years on theFrontlines of the War Against Terrorism" by Billy Waugh and Tim Keown

https://www.amazon.com/Hunting-Jacka...ing+the+Jackal
Old 02 Jun 16, 05:15
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmackUm View Post
It must have made a good impression on you to hunt another copy down after 30 years!
It did and as I told another member here, it has held up.

Old 03 Jun 16, 09:03
ACG Author
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Rock View Post
"Hunting the Jackal: A Special Forces and CIA Soldier's Fifty Years on theFrontlines of the War Against Terrorism" by Billy Waugh and Tim Keown

https://www.amazon.com/Hunting-Jacka...ing+the+Jackal
Recently finished, John Follain's "Jackal: The Complete Story of the Legendary Terrorist, Carlos the Jackal" and found it to be interesting and informative. The author's bibliography lists three pages of French and Foreign Official and Other Documents which supplemented with interviews of officials and players. His books appears to cover most of the secondary works and memoirs. A well done effort that gives insight to behind the headlines that followed Carlos the Jackal.
Old 12 Jun 16, 02:47
General of the Forums
Pirate
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign SPQR Campaign 

Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I'm trying to get a set of the Gulag Archipelago, been doing the audiobook. I can't believe I didn't know about it until recently, just a few years ago.
"This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG
Old 12 Jun 16, 10:55
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mann III View Post
I'm trying to get a set of the Gulag Archipelago, been doing the audiobook. I can't believe I didn't know about it until recently, just a few years ago.
Always wanted to read that myself.

The search begins.
Old 12 Jun 16, 10:58
General of the Forums
Finland
Best Pin-Up Of World War II CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900]
Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900]
Quote:
I found it by accident in some Finnish used books shop, no idea what it was but bought it, as I recall, since it was the only one in English.
Old 12 Jun 16, 11:39
General of the Forums
UK
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

MarkV is simply cracking [600]
MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600]
Just done a search on bookfinder.com lots of new and 2nd hand copies out there
Old 12 Jun 16, 22:49
General of the Forums
Sinc
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Tsar is simply cracking [600]
Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
I've got that on my bookcase. Been meaning to get to it.
Old 13 Jun 16, 06:15
General of the Forums
United_States

The Gulag Archipelago is on iTunes as an e-book for $7.99. Not sure whether or not it's abridged though. That seems awful cheap considering the length of the book.
Old 13 Jun 16, 08:33
General of the Forums
UK

MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Evans View Post
The Gulag Archipelago is on iTunes as an e-book for $7.99. Not sure whether or not it's abridged though. That seems awful cheap considering the length of the book.
Probably Vol 1.
Old 13 Jun 16, 10:14
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkV View Post
Probably Vol 1.
I think you're right.
Old 13 Jun 16, 10:45
General of the Forums
UK

I remember when it first came out in English a volume at a time. I read it by the time I got to the end of volume 2 the misery was so relentless I felt depressed and very nearly didn't get volume 3.

BTW did you know its about 5% more pages in the German translation than the English one?. Does this say some thing about the relative conciseness of English over German?
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!