StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Books, Film and Media > Books

Notices and Announcements

Books Looking for a particular reference work? Post it here. Also, talk about what you're currently reading with other members.

Old 19 Apr 16, 00:28
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Sgt. Rock has earned the respect of all [900] Sgt. Rock has earned the respect of all [900]
Sgt. Rock has earned the respect of all [900] Sgt. Rock has earned the respect of all [900] Sgt. Rock has earned the respect of all [900] Sgt. Rock has earned the respect of all [900] Sgt. Rock has earned the respect of all [900] Sgt. Rock has earned the respect of all [900] Sgt. Rock has earned the respect of all [900] Sgt. Rock has earned the respect of all [900] Sgt. Rock has earned the respect of all [900]
"The Contintental Op" by Dashiell Hammett a book I am thoroughly enjoying.

http://www.amazon.com/Continental-Op...continental+op
Old 22 Apr 16, 17:00
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Stainless Steel Rat series is available on youtube as audio books.

Really funny and smart Scifi. Use a youtube downloader if you want to save them into a flash drive.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman
Old 25 Apr 16, 22:54
Major General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300]
Just finished reading The Richest Man Who Ever Lived: The Life and Times of Jacob Fugger by Greg Steinmetz.

I have begun to research the death of the sin of usury and the birth of capitalism and that led me to this book. I enjoyed it very much and it has given me an insight into the history of the Holy Roman Empire and the Habsbergs and their dependency on loans from one man, Jacob Fugger of Augsburg, Germany.
Old 25 Apr 16, 23:10
General of the Forums
Australia
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600]
BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600]
Bombs Away:the latest offering from Harry Turtledove.

His usual imaginative re-working of history: in this case a counter-factual take on the Cold War: commencing with Truman accepting Mac Arthur's argument that a nuclear strike should be launched against China to save lives in Korea.

I always find Turtledove's work very entertaining.
Old 26 Apr 16, 00:13
General of the Forums
Sinc
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Tsar is simply cracking [600]
Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600]
I started reading that book. Found it completely repulsive. Apparently counter-factual means to ignore any similarity to facts what’s so ever.

Old 26 Apr 16, 00:56
General of the Forums
Australia

BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsar View Post
I started reading that book. Found it completely repulsive. Apparently counter-factual means to ignore any similarity to facts what’s so ever.
Ease up. I don't think anybody's saying that it's any sort of academic reference.

" A little nonsense now and then,
Is relished by the wisest men ".
Old 26 Apr 16, 03:42
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BELGRAVE View Post
Ease up. I don't think anybody's saying that it's any sort of academic reference.

" A little nonsense now and then,
Is relished by the wisest men ".
Then you should enjoy the adventures of Bill the Galactic Hero.

(Better to die on your feet than live on your knees)
Old 26 Apr 16, 09:14
General of the Forums
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martok View Post
Then you should enjoy the adventures of Bill the Galactic Hero.
Probably not . Judging by the title it's not a genre that I would enjoy.
To each his own,however.
Old 26 Apr 16, 15:43
General of the Forums
UK

MarkV is simply cracking [600]
MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Probably not . Judging by the title it's not a genre that I would enjoy.
To each his own,however.
Don't judge a book by its title, Harrison is taking the micky out of the genre. The title is ironic
Old 27 Apr 16, 00:06
ACG Forums - General Staff
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign Greatest Westerns Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 

Biscuit has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Biscuit has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Biscuit has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Biscuit has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Biscuit has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Biscuit has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Biscuit has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Biscuit has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Biscuit has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
My students' assignments

I long for summer and reading fun things, history things!
Old 28 Apr 16, 11:16
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Mountain Man has disabled reputation
Quote:
Bombs Away:the latest offering from Harry Turtledove.

His usual imaginative re-working of history: in this case a counter-factual take on the Cold War: commencing with Truman accepting Mac Arthur's argument that a nuclear strike should be launched against China to save lives in Korea.

I always find Turtledove's work very entertaining.
I like Turtledove and have read many of his books. This one sounds especially intriguing since there have been numerous books and films on the subject of nuclear war, accidental or otherwise.

I'm looking forward to his perspective.

Thanks.
Old 28 Apr 16, 11:20
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Mountain Man has disabled reputation
Currently, I just finished Twelve Seconds To Live, a book about the British ordnance disposal teams that worked on the bombs and mines dropped by the Germans onto English soil. The Germans constantly developed countermeasures and booby traps to kill the disposal teams, and the British raced desperately to keep up.

The title comes from the twelves seconds between the first dreaded sound of the fuse clock starting and the deadly detonation, with nowhere safe to go in so little time for the teams.

Incredibly brave men. Reminded me of the excellent British series: Danger: UXB.
Old 28 Apr 16, 12:02
General of the Forums
UK

MarkV is simply cracking [600]
MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
Currently, I just finished Twelve Seconds To Live, a book about the British ordnance disposal teams that worked on the bombs and mines dropped by the Germans onto English soil. The Germans constantly developed countermeasures and booby traps to kill the disposal teams, and the British raced desperately to keep up.

The title comes from the twelves seconds between the first dreaded sound of the fuse clock starting and the deadly detonation, with nowhere safe to go in so little time for the teams.

Incredibly brave men. Reminded me of the excellent British series: Danger: UXB.
Which was based on the memoirs of the same title of a British Bomb Disposal Officer who saw the continuous development of measure and counter measure - an excellent read. One interesting fact - once a particular fuse/anti handling device had been found and successfully dealt with all others of the same type could be identified by the code number and other markings on the fuse ring and the same method used for dealing with them. The Germans never ever changed these markings.

Strangely the Germans never developed the same level of expertise in bomb disposal tending to rely on evacuating the area and either dragging it out on a very long rope and hoping that it was a dud and not a suspended action if it was a small bomb or blowing it up in situ

Last edited by MarkV; 28 Apr 16 at 12:08..
Old 01 May 16, 18:20
ACG Author
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
Black Rain

Just finished a disturbing book by Charles Pellegrino, "To Hell and Back: The Last Train from Hiroshima" based on eyewitness survivor accounts. The book captures the lives of ordinary (and extraordinary) people before and after the atomic bombs.

The last train from Hiroshima to Nagasaki carried dozens of survivors who were exposed to both atomic bombs!!

Graphic descriptions of the black rain falling, the injuries of survivors, and images of horrific deaths is a compelling read from a Japanese perspective.
Old 01 May 16, 22:15
ACG Forums - canis administrationem
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Civilization before Greece and Rome

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!