StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Books, Film and Media > Books

Notices and Announcements

Books Looking for a particular reference work? Post it here. Also, talk about what you're currently reading with other members.

Old 01 Jan 05, 13:11
Sergeant Major
Canada
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Maladryne is on the path to success [1-99] Maladryne is on the path to success [1-99] Maladryne is on the path to success [1-99]
Last of the Amazons, Steven Pressfield

Following Hadrian, Elizabeth Speller

Next up:

Tides of War, Steven Pressfield

and either The Lance Thrower (Jack Whyte) or Memoirs of Hadrian (Marguerite Yourcenar).
Old 01 Jan 05, 15:38
First Sergeant
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 

Custer6 has disabled reputation
"The Path to Victory" by Douglas Porch

I read some really good reviews of this book and I have read 400+ pages of the 600+ pages total so far. Porch's view is that the Meditteranean Theatre of World War II was pivotal. From what I read so far, he fails to prove his point. Also, the whole book is so unrelentingly negative towards everybody in every way possible that I am not sure I will be able to finish it. The guy busts on everybody and engages in attacks both on a personal and professional level. IMHO, bad history, unsupported thesis, and endlessly negative. This is disappointing because I was really looking forward to reading this book.
Old 01 Jan 05, 16:57
Banned
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Model Forum Group Build 

CPangracs has earned the respect of all [900] CPangracs has earned the respect of all [900]
CPangracs has earned the respect of all [900] CPangracs has earned the respect of all [900] CPangracs has earned the respect of all [900] CPangracs has earned the respect of all [900] CPangracs has earned the respect of all [900] CPangracs has earned the respect of all [900] CPangracs has earned the respect of all [900] CPangracs has earned the respect of all [900]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuffjr
Is this available as PDF anywhere? I usually copy and paste online articles into word for later reading but downloading a PDF is much easier.
Not that I know of, and there is software in place to prevent cut-n-paste from the site!
Old 01 Jan 05, 17:33
Staff Sergeant
Australia

Case is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPangracs
Not that I know of, and there is software in place to prevent cut-n-paste from the site!
www.globalsecurity.org has a mirror of 'On Point' which can be copied and pasted. To find it, just enter 'On Point' in the search box on the site's front page.

Last edited by Case; 01 Jan 05 at 17:37..
Old 01 Jan 05, 21:44
ACG Forums - General Staff
Sinc
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) Model Forum Group Build Victor Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Just picked up "To Destroy a City" by Herman Knell. He's a survivor of the Mar 45' bombing of Wurzburg. Basically he's writing about the bombing campaigns of both the Allied and Axis sides in both European and Pacific theatres. Surprisingly it's not too bias so far and really doesn't point fingers as to who was right and who was wrong but is more aimed at finding out why the Bomber Commands implemented area bombing against civillian targets and what their justifications were.

Old 04 Jan 05, 14:47
General of the Forums
Canada
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500]
tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500]
"Panzer Operations" by Erhard Raus
"The Devil's Disciples" by Anthony(?) Read
Old 04 Jan 05, 16:59
Captain
France

nemo is on the path to success [1-99] nemo is on the path to success [1-99] nemo is on the path to success [1-99] nemo is on the path to success [1-99] nemo is on the path to success [1-99]
Soviet Planning in Peace and War 1938-1945 by Mark Harrison.
Old 04 Jan 05, 17:02
General of the Forums
Pirate
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pappy Gunn by Nathaniel Gunn
P-39 Airacobra Aces Osprey Publication
Hornets Over Kuwait by Jay Stout
Old 04 Jan 05, 21:12
Lieutenant General
United_States

Saint Jeremy is on the path to success [1-99] Saint Jeremy is on the path to success [1-99]
Black Hawk Down and the latest edition of Maxim Magazine
Old 05 Jan 05, 12:05
General of the Forums
Canada
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500]
tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Custer6
"The Path to Victory" by Douglas Porch

I read some really good reviews of this book and I have read 400+ pages of the 600+ pages total so far. Porch's view is that the Meditteranean Theatre of World War II was pivotal. From what I read so far, he fails to prove his point. Also, the whole book is so unrelentingly negative towards everybody in every way possible that I am not sure I will be able to finish it. The guy busts on everybody and engages in attacks both on a personal and professional level. IMHO, bad history, unsupported thesis, and endlessly negative. This is disappointing because I was really looking forward to reading this book.
I also recently received this book ( a XMas gift ) and have heard good things about it.
Although I have yet to begin reading the book, I should say there wasn't much to be positive about in the Italian Theatre.
I've always considered the Italian Campaign as a study in how NOT to fight a war.
From the landings in Sicily to the battles on the Po; every mistake that could be made, was made.
Old 05 Jan 05, 13:20
Private First Class
EU

printshop is a balanced individual [0]
"Iron Hulls Iron Hearts - Mussolini's Armored Divisions in N. Africa" by Ian Walker. Good book on a rarely covered part of the N. African theater.
Old 05 Jan 05, 13:44
First Sergeant
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigersqn
I also recently received this book ( a XMas gift ) and have heard good things about it.
Although I have yet to begin reading the book, I should say there wasn't much to be positive about in the Italian Theatre.
I've always considered the Italian Campaign as a study in how NOT to fight a war.
From the landings in Sicily to the battles on the Po; every mistake that could be made, was made.

Hi TigerSqn,

The Med Campaign does have many negative features.

Hope you will let us know what you think of the book when you read it.
Old 05 Jan 05, 13:54
General of the Forums
Pirate
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
An Army at Dawn by Rick Atkinson was an excellent book IMO on the US Army in North Africa. While it didn't get into the rest of the MTO or Italy, it did a very good job depicting the growing pains of the US Army.
Old 05 Jan 05, 14:01
First Sergeant
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor
An Army at Dawn by Rick Atkinson was an excellent book IMO on the US Army in North Africa. While it didn't get into the rest of the MTO or Italy, it did a very good job depicting the growing pains of the US Army.
Hi Doctor,
I read that book too. I thought it was great. About the only thing I found disappointing was the lack of credit given to USArmy artillery. Atkinson seems to have ignored the very important contribution this branch of the armed forces made to the victory.

Great stuff on the relationship among the Generals with each other. Even among the Generals, friends fired friends. Says alot about the commitment of the USArmy to victory.
Old 05 Jan 05, 14:07
Private First Class
EU

printshop is a balanced individual [0]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor
This book is on my "to read soon" list. It has received a lot of good comments on other forums also.
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!