StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Warfare Through the Ages > The Ancient Era

Notices and Announcements

The Ancient Era Discuss Ancient Warfare! Romans, Carthaginians, Greeks, etc.

Old 29 Dec 08, 18:12
General of the Forums
Wales
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate View Post
I was just looking at that book at Amazon. You read it already?
Couldn't put it down. The suffragettes could have learned a thing or two from the Macedonian women. Queen Olympias makes Boudicca look like my lovely Great Aunt May. I had always been interested in the state of Bactria with its Greek, Indian and Steppe Nomad neighbours, and the awesome court and seat of learning that would have had to happen whether the Nobles wanted it or not. This takes the whole subject one step further forward. This is the first book I have found to cover the whole subject of the Successors intelligently and academically, while being readable and affordable.

The only other source I know, the Cambridge histories, are possibly better, but the cost !
Old 30 Dec 08, 17:12
ACG Forums - Africanus Majoris
Israel
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign 

Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]

The Art of War: Great Commanders of the Ancient and Medieval Worlds 1600 BC - AD 1600 (Hardcover) edited by Andrew Roberts

Got this gem for Christmas.
All leading (military) historians like Martin van Creveld, Robin Lane Fox, Tom Holland, John Julius Norwich and many others on their favourite subjects, edited by leading British historian Andrew Roberts. Every ancient and medieval commander is profiled in a concise article which not only brings its subject vividly to life via a lively, fact-driven narrative, but also analyses and assesses his tactical and strategic gifts. Each biography is accompanied by a 'battle feature' or 'campaign feature' - embellished by a full-colour battle plan or campaign map - focusing on the commander's greatest battlefield achievement.

Great bargain, price is stupifyingly low! Buy it before they realise

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.
Old 31 Dec 08, 10:07
General of the Forums
Wales
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsennef View Post

The Art of War: Great Commanders of the Ancient and Medieval Worlds 1600 BC - AD 1600 (Hardcover) edited by Andrew Roberts

All leading (military) historians like Martin van Creveld, Robin Lane Fox, Tom Holland, John Julius Norwich and many others on their favourite subjects, edited by leading British historian Andrew Roberts. Every ancient and medieval commander is profiled in a concise article which not only brings its subject vividly to life via a lively, fact-driven narrative, but also analyses and assesses his tactical and strategic gifts. Each biography is accompanied by a 'battle feature' or 'campaign feature' - embellished by a full-colour battle plan or campaign map - focusing on the commander's greatest battlefield achievement.

At 15.00 on Amazon I just have! Will rep you when I can (if its any good! ).
Old 07 Jan 09, 14:01
General of the Forums
Wales

Quote:

I have just received my copy. 15.00 on Amazon, 25.00 stated on the cover! Its greatest strengths are both its sheer size and area of ground it covers. No subject is covered particularly in depth, and perhaps a few generals were missed out, but given its already hefty weight I doubt they could have fitted more in. A great find. Thank you Captain Sennef .
Old 08 Jan 09, 16:21
Israel
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign 

Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
I have just received my copy. 15.00 on Amazon, 25.00 stated on the cover! Its greatest strengths are both its sheer size and area of ground it covers. No subject is covered particularly in depth, and perhaps a few generals were missed out, but given its already hefty weight I doubt they could have fitted more in. A great find. Thank you Captain Sennef .
My pleasure. I'm looking forward to the sequel

that covers the period from 1600 till now, covering Cromwell, Marlborough, Napoleon's Wellington, 'Stonewall' Jackson, Moltke, Petain, Montgomery, Rommel, Patton, Konev and Giap's by eminent historians such as Antonia Fraser, Alistair Horne Michael Burleigh, Simon Sebag Montefiore and Richard Overy following the same format as the first. Looking at this list the book seems to be a little bit heavy on Anglo-Saxon generals but still I'll have no hesitations purchasing it. The book will be released in February 2009.

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.
Old 10 Jan 09, 04:34
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II SPQR Campaign 

Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:

I just spent a couple weeks looking for this. Finally I went to Amazon.uk and ordered it. The book is not even available in the US for preorder,but the second one is. Go figure. But I did stumble across and ordered an similar book; The Superstrategists by Colonel John Elting,which is next on my reading list.
Old 10 Jan 09, 08:54
General of the Forums
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate View Post
I just spent a couple weeks looking for this. Finally I went to Amazon.uk and ordered it. The book is not even available in the US for preorder,but the second one is. Go figure. But I did stumble across and ordered an similar book; The Superstrategists by Colonel John Elting,which is next on my reading list.
At 2.31 I think I will order it, wait a minute, I just have. Cheers legate!
Old 12 Jan 09, 05:40
General of the Forums
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Gillis View Post
Hi Guys, I'm looking for any information on Roman Legions. Any stuff would be good, but especially stuff on unit histories. Any books or websites I should check out?

thanks in advance,

Tom
For an overview and for only 15 on Amazon, I followed the advice of this man and did not regret my decision at all.

Quote:

Old 19 Jan 09, 16:49
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II SPQR Campaign 

Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Just got the Roberts book today. Good God! The book is huge!!
Old 19 Jan 09, 18:42
Sergeant Major
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

Jim Cobb is on the path to success [1-99] Jim Cobb is on the path to success [1-99]
Just bought a copy via Amazon US. It was odd: it wasn't listed there so I had to go through bookfinder.com to cylce back to Amazon US to buy it from another dealer. I got a better price.
Sponsored Links

Old 03 Jul 09, 15:01
General of the Forums
Wales

Question Would you recommend this?

The Macedonian Empire: The Era of Warfare Under Philip II and Alexander the Great, 359-323 B.C.

Anyone know if this book is any good?
Old 16 Jul 09, 00:02
First Lieutenant
Australia
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Paralus is on the path to success [1-99] Paralus is on the path to success [1-99] Paralus is on the path to success [1-99] Paralus is on the path to success [1-99] Paralus is on the path to success [1-99] Paralus is on the path to success [1-99] Paralus is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick the Noodle View Post

Anyone know if this book is any good?
I'd give it a wide berth. The Amzon (US) site has a short review by Nick Wellman. Nick, an occasional writer for Pothos, will have an idea of what he's reading. If, as he says, the author has described Aristobulos as the son of Porus this is a poor book.

The other book - The Art of War - looks the goods. I might well buy it. J Lendon's Soldiers and Ghosts is not bad. The author does follow the idea that Alexander promoted competition amongst his infantry and rewarded the best with pride of place (near to the hypaspists). This is based on a translation of aesthetairoi as "best companions" (and Arrian's mistake in describing three hypaspists units at Hydaspes). This is unlikely: poor old Krateros and his unit must have been a constant poor last! That aside, Ghosts is a good read.

Anyone seriously interested in the period of the Didochoi cannot go past Anson's Eumenes; Tom Boiy's Between High and Low and Bosworth's Legacy of Alexander. A neat trifecta that.
Old 16 Jul 09, 03:09
General of the Forums
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralus View Post
I'd give it a wide berth. The Amzon (US) site has a short review by Nick Wellman. Nick, an occasional writer for Pothos, will have an idea of what he's reading. If, as he says, the author has described Aristobulos as the son of Porus this is a poor book.

The other book - The Art of War - looks the goods. I might well buy it. J Lendon's Soldiers and Ghosts is not bad. The author does follow the idea that Alexander promoted competition amongst his infantry and rewarded the best with pride of place (near to the hypaspists). This is based on a translation of aesthetairoi as "best companions" (and Arrian's mistake in describing three hypaspists units at Hydaspes). This is unlikely: poor old Krateros and his unit must have been a constant poor last! That aside, Ghosts is a good read.

Anyone seriously interested in the period of the Didochoi cannot go past Anson's Eumenes; Tom Boiy's Between High and Low and Bosworth's Legacy of Alexander. A neat trifecta that.

Cheers . Will look into these when I can .
Old 31 Jul 09, 06:43
Israel

Legionary: The Roman Soldier's (Unofficial) Manual

I picked up P. Matyszak:

'Legionary: The Roman Soldier's Manual'

yesterday and so far I'm enjoying every minute of it

This hardcover book at such a low price means I'll be able to enjoy it much longer!! The book is written like an introductory manual for potential recruits to the Roman Legions and describe what sort of life awaits a soldier around 100 AD. It gives all sort of options what legion to chose: with its different characteristics and bonuses of current locations but also of their respective histories (sort of comparable to what regiment to chose in the British army and also here": some (family) connection counts.
Apart form the legions ample attention is being given to other options than joining the legion, such as joining the auxiliaries, the cavalry or the navy and what pros and cons are of each choice.

As became very clear when reading about the legionaries kit, the author (a well known British historian) really knows his subject inside out. E.g. he states that the most important thing a recruits should take care of is neither his sword as you perhaps would expect, nor even his shield, but his sandals, complete with all inside details such as hobnails
Same with the famous Roman short sword, Matyszak specifies what elements are important to keep in mind when selecting a sword.
In this way he continues: march & combat training, Roman battlefield survival, etc

Those of you who have read some of my earlier criticism may know that I give highest marks for the combination of knowledge and readability: this book passes with flying colours!!

Old 05 Aug 09, 10:13
Major General
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

guthrieba is walking in the light [200] guthrieba is walking in the light [200] guthrieba is walking in the light [200] guthrieba is walking in the light [200] guthrieba is walking in the light [200] guthrieba is walking in the light [200] guthrieba is walking in the light [200] guthrieba is walking in the light [200] guthrieba is walking in the light [200] guthrieba is walking in the light [200] guthrieba is walking in the light [200] guthrieba is walking in the light [200] guthrieba is walking in the light [200]
Just finished Goldworthy's How Rome Fell. It is worth reading. The chapters are usually organized such that the first part of the chapter is on a sequential period of history, say, Aurelian's reign, with the second part being an analysis of the period with more emphasis on the economy or the political science or military organization (or whatever) of the period in question.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!