StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Warfare Through the Ages > The Ancient Era

Notices and Announcements

The Ancient Era Discuss Ancient Warfare! Romans, Carthaginians, Greeks, etc.

Old 30 May 16, 16:21
General of the Forums
Wales
Distinguished Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls SPQR Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 
CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpaint View Post
Using the most recent research and studies as well as important primary sources like the Notitia Dignitatum, this book outlines a complete picture of the Late Roman Army, from the accession of Diocletian in AD 284 to the fall of the western Empire in 476. Contents include the organization, structure, equipment, weapons, combat history and tactics of the late Roman military forces. Through the pages and magnificent colour plates of this book you will find limitanei, comitatenses, foederati, bucellarii, scholae palatinae, protectores and much more. The origins and causes for the military decline of the Empire are discussed in detail, as well as the influence of the “barbarian” peoples over the Roman Army. The text includes also a very detailed order of battle, based on the Notitia Dignitatum and listing all the military forces of the Roman Empire between 395-410 AD. Combined with the original art work by well-known military artist Giuseppe Rava, this book will be a must for students of military history, re-enactors, modellers, wargamers and people interested in military dress or organization.
I can't find another review anywhere else . Are you the author ?
Old 30 May 16, 17:44
Sergeant Major
Italy
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Warpaint is on the path to success [1-99] Warpaint is on the path to success [1-99] Warpaint is on the path to success [1-99] Warpaint is on the path to success [1-99] Warpaint is on the path to success [1-99] Warpaint is on the path to success [1-99] Warpaint is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
I can't find another review anywhere else . Are you the author ?
I'm the author of the art. The reviews can't be find cause the book isn't still issued, but it'll be on the shelves in about a month. The peoples who're confident could preorder it at the given link
Old 21 Jul 17, 09:21
ACG Forums - General Staff
Sinc
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
March Offensive 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Since this thread hasn't been updated in a year, I thought I'd reach out to y'all to say I've been on a bit of a Roman kick recently. My tastes previously have been far to the later periods (Byzantine and Ottoman Eras), and when I do my reading I tend to get far too absorbed in a single period for a while then move on.

I'm looking to expand my modest library with a few select books on Rome. I have copies of certain classics (like Caesar's writings from Gaul and Gibbon's Rise and Fall) but I was looking for something a bit more contemporary.

So I'm happy to hear if anyone has any particularly juicy selections on offer, because I trust y'all to know a lot more on who would be a good (and respected author).

I do have a copy of Everitt's Augustus and Holland's Rubicon on my shelf that I picked up years ago for a discount, but I can't speak to their quality. So if anyone has any personal favorites, I'm all ears.
Old 08 Nov 17, 23:04
Private
Philippines

sweetglaze is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by armoredassault5 View Post
Herodotus's "The Histories" is an excellent overview of Greek and Persian history from the Persians Wars on till the outbreak of the Pelopennesian Wars. It is well written, and a good read.
Anything about Greek history fascinates me! I remember buying books about mythology and Greek wars a few years back.
Old 10 Nov 17, 11:38
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
^ Can't go wrong with Thucydides' History of the Peloponnesian War. Really it's a must read, and very applicable to contemporary politics, as well.

Old 10 Nov 17, 22:44
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
Since this thread hasn't been updated in a year, I thought I'd reach out to y'all to say I've been on a bit of a Roman kick recently. My tastes previously have been far to the later periods (Byzantine and Ottoman Eras), and when I do my reading I tend to get far too absorbed in a single period for a while then move on.

I'm looking to expand my modest library with a few select books on Rome. I have copies of certain classics (like Caesar's writings from Gaul and Gibbon's Rise and Fall) but I was looking for something a bit more contemporary.

So I'm happy to hear if anyone has any particularly juicy selections on offer, because I trust y'all to know a lot more on who would be a good (and respected author).

I do have a copy of Everitt's Augustus and Holland's Rubicon on my shelf that I picked up years ago for a discount, but I can't speak to their quality. So if anyone has any personal favorites, I'm all ears.
Holland's Rubicon is very good. Highly recommended. Everitt's Cicero is better than Augustus, but both are well written. I'm itching to buy Holland's Dynasty which is the sequel to Rubicon.

How about Mary Beard's SPQR: History of Ancient Rome? Her book is highly regarded in the study of ancient Rome. Think you will love it as it focuses more on social context of Roman Empire.

"Aim small, miss small."

Chieftain Iosephus Namathus of Brigantes, Eagles Deux

"I am Britannia!"

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!