StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Current Events > North America

Notices and Announcements

North America Important Events in Canada and the United States. .

Old 03 Oct 17, 14:58
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by armor11 View Post
Don't be ridiculous.

Guns are simply outrageously dangerous. We need better controls. That's all there is to it.
Pfff... Not compared to power tools and things like chain saws...

https://www.cpsc.gov/s3fs-public/pdfs/2003h054.pdf

https://www.cpsc.gov/s3fs-public/Non...JtpM2EE4JHeveV

You are blaming the tool, rather than the idiot, crazy, whatever using it. The problem isn't guns. It's idiots, crazies, and dangerous people getting their hands on them.
Old 03 Oct 17, 15:02
Major General
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grognard Gunny View Post
To me, it boils down to one thing..... I want to have the option to own a gun, or two..... or ten. Exercise the option or not is no one's business at all, including the "bad guys".
That's not the issue.

I respect the 2nd Amendment. I own 5 guns myself: an M1 Garand, a .45 Colt Henry Big Boy, a .45 ACP, an 1860 black powder .44 revolver, and a pump action .22 that my Dad got when he was a teenager.

I like shooting guns and I happen to own guns that have some historical significance. I don't like to hunt, but I don't mind if others want to.

It's the "type" of gun and the unfettered access that is the issue. Our gun culture is simply out of control. And it's being fueled in part by a national organization that is fanning fears and going out of their way to make the problem worse.

If the NRA would change their attitude a bit and try to calm people's nerves and encourage less deadly weapons it would...help. But they're not interested in "helping." That's a problem.
Old 03 Oct 17, 15:06
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
That's not the issue.

I respect the 2nd Amendment. I own 5 guns myself: an M1 Garand, a .45 Colt Henry Big Boy, a .45 ACP, an 1860 black powder .44 revolver, and a pump action .22 that my Dad got when he was a teenager.

I like shooting guns and I happen to own guns that have some historical significance. I don't like to hunt, but I don't mind if others want to.

It's the "type" of gun and the unfettered access that is the issue. Our gun culture is simply out of control. And it's being fueled in part by a national organization that is fanning fears and going out of their way to make the problem worse.

If the NRA would change their attitude a bit and try to calm people's nerves and encourage less deadly weapons it would...help. But they're not interested in "helping." That's a problem.
Just imagine how different history would have been if the residents of Rosewood FL had been armed. I believe that that was the point that the Black Panthers were trying to make in California, no?
Old 03 Oct 17, 15:08
Major General
United_States

armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
Pfff... Not compared to power tools and things like chain saws...
Excellent point!

I'm surprised that our military doesn't equip our soldiers with skill saws in Afghanistan.

And we need to start lobbying our local governments to make sure our police cruisers are equipped with chainsaws. After all, they've been demanding them for years!
Old 03 Oct 17, 15:08
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Gun ownership has increased over 50% since 1994, and the rate of murders committed with those guns is down 49%.
Test me on that, go ahead, I dare you.

The point is; everything that guy did is already illegal.
The only think more gun-laws ever do is restrict guns for the law-abiding... as is their true intention.
Admit it, you Lefties only want to take all guns away from everyone. Well, there are exceptions;

The Police.
The Military.
BodyGuards for the Political class, and their lackeys.

And since, historically speaking, none of THOSE guys have ever abused their power....

Why don't you guys ever present a calm, reasoned, factual argument for this kind of legislation when nothing is happening, and a reasonable assessment of all your arguments can be made?
Why do you always present is as an emergency measure that has to be addressed when emotions are out of whack?

... can't let a crisis go to waste , eh?
Old 03 Oct 17, 15:10
General of the Forums
United_States

slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Excellent point!

I'm surprised that our military doesn't equip our soldiers with skill saws in Afghanistan.
Some US units in Iraqi cities regularly carried sledgehammers and various cutting tools for gaining entry to buildings in order to establish indoor hides.

Quote:
And we need to start lobbying our local governments to make sure our police cruisers are equipped with chainsaws. After all, they've been demanding them for years!
All kidding aside, but aren't some police regularly outfitting with such tools?
Old 03 Oct 17, 15:15
Major General
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick_miester View Post
Just imagine how different history would have been if the residents of Rosewood FL had been armed. I believe that that was the point that the Black Panthers were trying to make in California, no?
Could be.

Again, I have no problem with being "armed."

But for the love of everything that is holy: we...have...enough...guns.
Old 03 Oct 17, 15:16
Major General
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick_miester View Post
All kidding aside, but aren't some police regularly outfitting with such tools?
For their intended use, perhaps. I seriously doubt you'll see skill saws on their holsters any time soon.
Old 03 Oct 17, 15:17
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Exorcist View Post
. . . . Admit it, you Lefties only want to take all guns away from everyone. Well, there are exceptions;

The Police.
The Military.
BodyGuards for the Political class, and their lackeys.

And since, historically speaking, none of THOSE guys have ever abused their power.... . . . .
"L'etat c'est moi." Well, you ain't "moi" -- and neither am I. So don't you forget it, you lowly peasant you!
Old 03 Oct 17, 15:18
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Could be.

Again, I have no problem with being "armed."

But for the love of everything that is holy: we...have...enough...guns.
Just don't have 'em in the right hands is all . . . .

Quote:
For their intended use, perhaps. I seriously doubt you'll see skill saws on their holsters any time soon.
It's a regular feature of all military training, unarmed combat/utilizing any object within reach as a deadly weapon: Semper Fu, Ranger training, et al. I imagine much the same applies to police departments from coast to coast.

Old 03 Oct 17, 15:21
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Excellent point!

Your petty sarcasm aside, you are now making the argument that death and injury from some tools and devices are fine with you while others aren't.
Old 03 Oct 17, 15:27
Major General
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Exorcist View Post
The point is; everything that guy did is already illegal.
Automatic weapons are not illegal.
High powered bullets are not illegal.
High capacity magazines are not illegal.

Questions?

Quote:
Why don't you guys ever present a calm, reasoned, factual argument for this kind of legislation when nothing is happening, and a reasonable assessment of all your arguments can be made?
Part of the problem there is that the NRA vigorously lobbies against collecting any real data.

To do this right, a study should be conducted to find out what's actually effective.Then those measures should be tested. Figure out what worked and what didn't and test again. Then we can decide whether or not what's effective is actually good policy.

It would be great to actually apply science to the problem but it's virtually impossible to get anything going given the obstinance of the NRA and their constituency.

Quote:
Why do you always present is as an emergency measure that has to be addressed when emotions are out of whack?
I'm not talking about an "emergency measure." I'm talking about doing something. Nothing is being done. On the contrary.

Quote:
.. can't let a crisis go to waste , eh?
To paraphrase: those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it. Aren't you getting a little tired of these "crises?" You like this quarterly massacre schedule we're on?
Old 03 Oct 17, 15:31
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
Your petty sarcasm aside, you are now making the argument that death and injury from some tools and devices are fine with you while others aren't.
The ancient Hebrew judge Samson reportedly annihilated an entire Philistine force armed with nothing more than the jawbone of an ass . . . .

Of more recent -- and verifiable -- vintage, Sgt Alvin C York and GySgt Carlos N Hathcock II wiped out whole enemy companies with little more than bolt action rifles. Perhaps our Finnish friends can regale us with Simo Hayha's exploits.

It's not the weapon that makes the man, but the man that makes the weapon.
Old 03 Oct 17, 15:45
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Automatic weapons are not illegal.
High powered bullets are not illegal.
High capacity magazines are not illegal.

Questions?
Yes, full-auto weapons ARE illegal. They have been since 1934, unless you pass a very serious background check AND pay 10,000$ for a stamp AND are willing to pay through the nose for one that was made before 1986.
Nobody in the US can own one that is newer than that. The effect that has is skyrocketing prices, such as 25,000 for an old Thompson a few months ago.
BTW- do you know the difference between semi-auto and fully automatic?

WTF is a "High-powered bullet"?

High Capacity magazines ARE illegal in many parts of the US, and have no effect on the crime rates.

Quote:
Part of the problem there is that the NRA vigorously lobbies against collecting any real data.
Yeah, because registration always comes before confiscation.
Try another trick, that one was old before any of us were even born.

Quote:
To paraphrase: those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it. Aren't you getting a little tired of these "crises?" You like this quarterly massacre schedule we're on?
Hey, since you want to put it that way, how do you like the way the Europeans have responded to Islamic Terrorism / Jihad?
Their argument is that it is "statistically irrelevant".
Regarding this, it is even more so, all you have to do is compare this to Chicago... and in Chicago, it never ends.
Why never talk about that, would it be too ethnic?
Old 03 Oct 17, 16:19
Colonel
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

pamak is on the path to success [1-99] pamak is on the path to success [1-99] pamak is on the path to success [1-99] pamak is on the path to success [1-99] pamak is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambronnne View Post
Your point was to try and prove I was wrong when I said we already have background checks.
It is emphatically true that we have background checks.
I identified Illinois, but did not mention federal requirements. The fact that there are also federal requirements makes my statement correct (again) and your effort to suggest otherwise, misleading.

I note you claim that Illinois is not typical of US states, but provide no proof of that claim. Well done.
I note you say you were addressing my claim that mentally ill people are prohibited from purchasing guns, but fail to address it in any substantive way other than to claim I'm wrong. If I'm wrong I suspect that you would have some evidence, yet you do not.

The absence of requirements at the State level doesn't erase the requirements at the federal level.
There is no regulation of private transfers, but that is true of all private transfers, not just guns. If I give my kid a car, there are no laws involved, nor taxes collected.

Again, forgive me for relying on actual laws, rather than what an unidentified NRA video said.
In other words, when there are no background check requirements for private sales, sellers can cetainly arm mentally ill person or felons. You just proved why your initial statement was wrong and misleading...

THis is you a few posts earlier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambronnne
We already have background checks and
Felons are not permitted to own weapons.

If a person is mentally ill, they are prohibited from purchasing weapons...
As for your argument about selling a car, you forgot to mention that even there you STILL have to arrange a transfer of title and notify the government, and you need to record know the name and address of the buyer

Here is a "seller's report of sale" form used in your state when you sell a car

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/pu...ons/vsd703.pdf

Parts from the above document

Quote:
When you sell and/or release interest in a vehicle that is titled and/or registered in the State of Illinois, this form must be immediately
completed and mailed to the Secretary of State Vehicle Services Department to ensure that your responsibility for the vehicle is released.

Name of Buyer __________________________________________________ ______________________________________________
Address of Buyer

This is mailed to the Secretary of State
Vehicle Services Department
Record Inquiry Division
501 S. Second St., Rm. 408
Springfield, IL 62756

By contrast, it appears (and I showed a video of this) that in many states you can sell a gun without even knowing the name or address of the buyer, and of course without notifying any agency.

Last edited by pamak; 03 Oct 17 at 16:50..

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!