StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Warfare Through the Ages

Notices and Announcements

Warfare Through the Ages Roman, Greek, Japanese, etc. Topics cover all manner of pre-modern warfare and empire-building and crushing.

View Poll Results: Your Sent to a war with a US Tank Crew, do you fly a CSA flag or Catholic Flag?
CSA Flag 4 66.67%
Catholic Flag 2 33.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 26 Sep 17, 22:18
Lieutenant General
United_States

Stonewall_Jack is on the path to success [1-99] Stonewall_Jack is on the path to success [1-99] Stonewall_Jack is on the path to success [1-99] Stonewall_Jack is on the path to success [1-99] Stonewall_Jack is on the path to success [1-99] Stonewall_Jack is on the path to success [1-99] Stonewall_Jack is on the path to success [1-99]
You're Sent to a war with a US Tank Crew, do you fly a CSA flag or Catholic Flag?

The CSA flag was utilized by the US leadership in a # various wars the US was involved in post 1865. In addition during the Vietnam war some US tanks could be spotted with CSA flags, clearly showing that some Americans were proud to show their CSA heritage in Vietnam during a time of war. This sight of Americans firstly serving the US but also paying homage to their ancestors is common in US history post 1865, for example in the Iraq war in 2003 one could see visible Catholic symbols from the Crusade era being present on various US soldiers.

https://www.thenation.com/article/wh...tnam-and-iraq/

The CSA flag could be spotted in the Vietnam and Korean war much to the dismay of some African Americans. It was a unifying force for some, the CSA flag that is throughout various American wars..but one could ask would it not have been better if Americans during WW1 and the Vietnam war for example flew flags of the Roman Empire or various Catholic Kingdoms? Because the argument after all was my ancestors fought for the CSA, well those same Americans of European heritage also have ancestors whom surely fought for the Romans and various Catholic Kingdoms. A Catholic flag surely beats out any CSA flag, right folks? I am convinced that even modern day Americans who have ancestors whom fought for the CSA would first choose the American flag, but if it came down to flying a CSA flag vs a Catholic Flag IE the flags flown by Catholics during the First Crusade....that the choice would be to fly the Catholic flags. Even if I knew I had a relative whom fought for the CSA, I would not fly a CSA flag because I know that the better societies in terms of tolerance were that of Rome and various Catholic Kingdoms of history.
Join the Templars-http://www.knightstemplarorder.org/

Last edited by Salinator; 28 Sep 17 at 12:59.. Reason: Speling in Title
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 26 Sep 17, 23:04
ACG Forums - General Staff
France
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Summer Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
You have more Southern boys in tanks than plain wrapper Catholic boys. If they feel the need they can fly both. If any American troops were flying the Confederate Battle Flag in WWI, WWII, Korea and Vietnam, I would advise the enemy to find some other unit which could be a little less hard corps.

You do realize Louisiana and Texas have lots of Catholics and many would fly the Stars and Bars?

Pruitt

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"
Old 26 Sep 17, 23:11
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I didn't read the op, but why would you not fly the USA flag?

Why would you do else-wise?

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman
Old 27 Sep 17, 00:42
France
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Summer Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I bet a lot of Texans would rather fly the Lone Star flag. State flags could be popular with National Guardsmen. Most people would not know the Louisiana Pelican flag, though.

Pruitt

Old 27 Sep 17, 00:46
General of the Forums
France
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
That's what I call a poll!
Old 27 Sep 17, 01:05
ACG Forums - Field Marshall
United_States
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Model Forum Group Build SPQR Campaign 

Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I'll fly a Roman Senate flag.

SPQR

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg
Old 27 Sep 17, 03:35
General of the Forums
England
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salinator View Post
I'll fly a Roman Senate flag.

SPQR

I'd fly a Kite, a huge F'koff Kite with the words emblazoned on it reading...."What's all this bollocks then?"

Paul
Can win mans heart for you;
And many a blessing know to stew
To make a megloamaniac bright;
Give honour to the dainty Corse,
The Pixie is a little shite.
Old 27 Sep 17, 05:13
General of the Forums
Scotland
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700]
the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700] the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700] the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700] the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700] the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700] the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700] the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700] the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700] the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700] the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700] the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700] the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700] the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700] the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700]
*You're*
Old 27 Sep 17, 07:15
General of the Forums
United_States
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]  [+1]
Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Non of the above.

After countless stupid polls this one takes first place.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

'half-baked, spurious nationalism'

Last edited by Half Pint John; 27 Sep 17 at 11:42..
Old 27 Sep 17, 09:08
General of the Forums
England
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Anyone voted yet?

Paul
Can win mans heart for you;
And many a blessing know to stew
To make a megloamaniac bright;
Give honour to the dainty Corse,
The Pixie is a little shite.
Sponsored Links

Old 27 Sep 17, 10:22
Lieutenant Colonel
UK
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewall_Jack View Post
..The CSA flag could be spotted in the Vietnam and Korean war much to the dismay of some African Americans..
Haha they're ALWAYS being "dismayed" about something or other so what's new?..
For example there are rumours filtering across the Atlantic to us in Britain that they're even refusing to stand for the US national anthem, somebody please tell me it's not true..
Old 27 Sep 17, 11:31
Lieutenant General
United_States

Stonewall_Jack is on the path to success [1-99] Stonewall_Jack is on the path to success [1-99] Stonewall_Jack is on the path to success [1-99] Stonewall_Jack is on the path to success [1-99] Stonewall_Jack is on the path to success [1-99] Stonewall_Jack is on the path to success [1-99] Stonewall_Jack is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
You have more Southern boys in tanks than plain wrapper Catholic boys. If they feel the need they can fly both. If any American troops were flying the Confederate Battle Flag in WWI, WWII, Korea and Vietnam, I would advise the enemy to find some other unit which could be a little less hard corps.

You do realize Louisiana and Texas have lots of Catholics and many would fly the Stars and Bars?

Pruitt
As I live in NY I have not been able to talk with Catholics in the south so much, but I recongize Southern Catholics have a presence in the South. What I can say is that here in the North I have seen some neighbors(and I think they are Catholic they are surely Christian) fly the CSA flag, its a rarity maybe 2 of 50 houses in the area have the CSA flag.

I would not measure ones toughness based on the flag they flew. I have no problem with any American choosing to fly the CSA flag instead of a Catholic battle flag on a US tank. The pro Catholic flag folks have their arguments, the pro CSA flag folks have their arguments.

There are also surely some military folks that want only American flags and do not want to see any religious symbols or non American symbols on US military members.

Yes I know some Catholics admire the CSA flag..my argument is that most Catholics in America would prefer the Catholic flag over the CSA flag upon being reminded that their ancestors were surely men whom fought for various Catholic Kingdoms. I can understand that it may be attractive for relatives of the CSA veterans to want to associate with the CSA because of the fact that one can see photographs of their relatives from the CSA era. Compare this to the middle ages where at best one must rely on paintings of their family members if they are lucky to come across a painting or the sorts. Either way a relative is a relative, whether that relative be a CSA veteran , or a Catholic veteran of some war during the middle ages. The Americans who today fly the CSA flags are doing it because they admire the CSA or also because their ancestors fought for the CSA.

I find the Catholic flag to be more effective because historically speaking black Catholics lived in and had prestigious positions in Europe. African Catholics were in prime positions in the French Empire and later in 20th century Africa for example there were a # of Catholic heads of states. The question here is not Catholic vs Protestant but rather if one would choose flying the CSA flag or Catholic battle flag if they were a member of the US tank crew. To the modern times American military members are displaying the CSA flags and Catholic symbols at least as late as the 2003 Iraq war.

Last edited by Stonewall_Jack; 27 Sep 17 at 11:40..
Old 27 Sep 17, 11:42
Lieutenant General
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Pint John View Post
Non of the above.

After countless stupid polls this one takes first place.
If you dont have anything to contribute what are you doing in this thread. But in the end your just another guy and there are over 7 billion of us. You and seb french should go on a romance vacation in Paris. You two keep following me around so Im just saying. Have a good one John.
Old 27 Sep 17, 11:49
France

Southerners still are over represented in the armed forces. I consider myself Southern even if Mom had me in California while Dad was in the Air Force. I honor the Confederate ancestors in my lineage, because I know about them and know nothing about the one New York Irishman I have found. Everyone has a skeleton or two in their family tree.

From what I have observed in life, Southern boys will more likely fly the Battle Flag than the Vatican City Flag. The Templers or one of the other crusading Orders have a chance.

Pruitt

Old 27 Sep 17, 11:51
Lieutenant General
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Old Spike View Post
Haha they're ALWAYS being "dismayed" about something or other so what's new?..
For example there are rumours filtering across the Atlantic to us in Britain that they're even refusing to stand for the US national anthem, somebody please tell me it's not true..

Yes some blacks are dismayed by the CSA flag, just as some Jewish folks are dismayed of the Third Reich flags. I would myself be dismayed at a Third Reich flag because I respect the allies of WW2 over the axis powers.

Edit:

Sry Spike the poor behavior of Paul, HPJ, apparently ace and the French guy who keeps following me around...threw me off a bit. They are possibly collaborating to get my threads locked up or worse. It is only humane and a proper response for me to defend myself from unproved attacks from these tiny # of acg posters belittling my thread and by default undermining the fact that American men in our military have worn Catholic Symbols and CSA symbols.

We got anti Muslims and anti Jews that actually live in this world. Paul HP and the Frenchmen come into my thread with mockery, sarcasm, and just a whiny attitude.... Im just wondering why is that? Why do these few posters and now you act in the same exact manner as some BLM members do.

HPJ and Sebfrench more then then others are out their engaging in constant mockery and usage of sarcastic language when its not appropriate. You two going to provide me my free speech or you going to shut me down or try to insult me down?

Last edited by Stonewall_Jack; 27 Sep 17 at 12:02..
Closed Thread

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!