StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > ACG Community Run Wargames

Notices and Announcements

ACG Community Run Wargames Conflict simulations run by forum members for the ACG community.

Old 28 Sep 17, 20:01
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt AFB View Post
(Need for Info. The little brown squares on the map...I assume they are some kind of buildings. What are we looking at? Dimensions? House, barn, tavern? windows?)
Houses and barns. Wood construction with stone foundations. I won't be getting technical on them, so if you deploy into the buildings, just assume that your men will fire from loopholes and windows as they're able.
Old 28 Sep 17, 20:57
Major General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Mon Colonel,

Depending on how confident you are in the training and capabilities of your infantry companies, I would suggest :

2 companies North of the river (Bird and Leroy) to engage and delay the enemy forces heading to the ford. Once the enemy is fully engaged and took some hits, the two companies would ford the river back South and reform to become the brigade's new reserve.

2 companies South of the river (Finch and Bates) , establishing the main defense using the river as the main obstacle to stop the enemy.

The last company (Fawcett) can act as the immediate ready reserve and move forward into position on the river next to the ford, once the two forward companies withdraw from the North side of the river.

One cavalry company to screen North and support the forward companies

One cavalry company to screen East to keep an eye on any surprises coming from that direction.

I would also send some cavalry towards the West to find any alternate crossing the enemy may use and, also, to establish contact with friendly forces in that direction.

The battery aims right down the ford - the likely enemy approach, but ready to provide long fire to the withdrawing forward companies.
I am in agreement with these orders. The only thing myself and Bird will have to determine will be which side of the road who will be on. Also, have the scouts gotten more detailed information on the terrain north of the river? That will determine how and where we will deploy. Is our goal to hold control of the crossing and defend it or to advance as far as possible and using the crossing as the fallback position if we have to retreat?

I inform my men to be alert but rest while they can, refill canteens with water, and eat.

Cpt. Leroy
Old 28 Sep 17, 21:05
Lieutenant General
Australia
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 
CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400]
Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400] Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400] Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400] Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frtigern View Post
I am in agreement with these orders. The only thing myself and Bird will have to determine will be which side of the road who will be on. Also, have the scouts gotten more detailed information on the terrain north of the river? That will determine how and where we will deploy. Is our goal to hold control of the crossing and defend it or to advance as far as possible and using the crossing as the fallback position if we have to retreat?

I inform my men to be alert but rest while they can, refill canteens with water, and eat.

Cpt. Leroy
Captain, check your fore - the enemy are already approaching the ford and the Tarheels are under fire.

We do not have time to rest, and crossing the river is currently unwise unless done in force.
Old 28 Sep 17, 21:48
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
To give a time limit, if most or all of the players have posted by Friday at 0600EST, I'll work on this first update with all players on the field.

After that, I'll be taking a hiatus over the weekend. I'll answer questions, but I know that certain players don't get online over the weekend, so my plan is to never have a full update cycle over the weekend. I anticipate Orders be due by Monday and Thursday generally once this gets going.

If a player has to be absent for an update cycle, the Brigade Commander or Deputy Commander can give orders for that company in that cycle without any sort of penalty or issue. That way we're not waiting on a player to come back, and they can come back the next cycle seamlessly.

-----------------------------------

And since there seems to be a bit of confusion as to the SITREP......

The Blue Diamond are Federal Infantry in Skirmish Formation.

With the Exception of Pruitt (Red Rectangle), all units are coming onto the field on the road.

Confirmed by scouts, the ford is the ONLY place across Bull Run in the area.

The brown squares are houses/barns/etc, wood construction buildings with stone or brick foundations.

The tree symbols represent groves of trees that size, not individual trees.

The only orders from General Beauregard were to hold this position, but he was not specific.
Old 28 Sep 17, 22:03
ACG Forums - General Staff
France
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Summer Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
"Orderly! Send a rider back and tell the Colonel that we have plenty of Yankee targets in front of us! We don't want to hog more than our share! A little haste would be nice!"

Captain Pruitt. Tarheel Legion

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"
Old 28 Sep 17, 22:11
General of the Forums
United_States

Current Orders for 1100-11-- Update

Khryses: Grenadier Guards advance and take cover in reserve behind the copse to the W of the road. If the ford is pressed attack with carbines and grenades.

Pruitt: Advance in Skirmish formation dismounted and engage enemy skirmishers.

Fritgern: Hold in reserve, rest the men.

Gardner: Deploy Battery 100yds West of the house on Signal Hill, load and look for targets.

Sen: Prepare for Skirmishing.

AFB: Prepare for Line of Battle
Old 28 Sep 17, 22:48
Lieutenant General
Canada
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300] Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300] Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300] Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300] Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300] Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300] Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300] Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300] Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300] Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300] Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300] Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300] Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300] Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300]
GUYS!

I"m happy we are all enthusiastic and all in playing this game, and all wanting to take initiatives to beat the enemy.

But we are all on different timings due to different time zones and RL requirements.

In practice, the Brigade Commander would have alreadyh is orders and direction...It's not going to happen in this type of forum.

As a minimum courtesy, leave Jeroen come back to the game and give his orders.

He said he would do so in 12 hours on his last post.
Old 28 Sep 17, 22:54
Major General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300]
OOC: Ok, I was confused by the map as it added things since morning. I revise my orders. Has anyone scouted the right side of the ford?
-----
The Tiger's First Sergeant shouts order, "Party's over, looks like the yanks are over there and hope you're well rested to get double timing around those poor fellows and show them how to skirmish."

The Tiger's really don't carry much and had even left all unnecessary items for combat back in the rear so it doesn't take long for the Tiger's to stow away what little they need to survive as none of these men have ever had many possessions to begin with. Ask any one of them and of the few things they need in life is a bottle of whiskey.

Within 5 minutes the men are up and standing at attention, a drill they learned well everyday in the last 6 months. He has his men form up to the right side of the road in skirmish formation awaiting instructions.
Old 28 Sep 17, 23:13
Lieutenant General
Australia
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 
CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400]
Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400] Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400] Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400] Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
GUYS!

I"m happy we are all enthusiastic and all in playing this game, and all wanting to take initiatives to beat the enemy.

But we are all on different timings due to different time zones and RL requirements.

In practice, the Brigade Commander would have alreadyh is orders and direction...It's not going to happen in this type of forum.

As a minimum courtesy, leave Jeroen come back to the game and give his orders.

He said he would do so in 12 hours on his last post.
Mr Bird, I can and will amend my orders if I've misunderstood the Colonel's intent - but just as his timezone means he hasn't had a chance to respond as yet, I have no confidence I'll be able to post between his recommendation and "6am EST".

In fact *glances at time converter* I'm unlikely to be on much at all for a day and a half from a bit under three hours from now.

If the worst comes to the worst and Fawcett gives the wrong orders to his company, that will be one of the more historical elements of First Manassas.
Old 29 Sep 17, 03:37
ACG Forums - Africanus Majoris
Israel
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign 

Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I am online gents, busy formulating my orders.

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.
Sponsored Links

Old 29 Sep 17, 05:28
Israel
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign 

Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Map: see attached in pdf

SITUATION:
Terrain: river only passable at ford
Enemy: skirmishers in front N.
Own troops: D.R. Jones Brigade to the west, Rainbow forms eastern end of the line

II. MISSION: Hold ford

III. EXECUTION

Commanderís Intent: This fight will have 4 Phases:
1. Skirmish other side of the river: regain initiative push enemy skirmishers back
2. Defence along this side of ford. River is main line of defence
3. Counter strike with cavalry reserve.
4. Defence in depth forming perimeter around south of ford

Phase 1:
Bird and Leroy: go north of the river to regain initiative by engaging and delaying the enemy forces heading to the ford.
Pruitt: Go north of the river to screen the enemy and support the light infantry
Once the enemy is fully deployed, the light infantry companies fall back via the ford, cross our main line and reform on top of Signal Hill to become the brigade's new reserve.
Pruittís cavalry falls back to trees east of Signal Hill

Bates and Finch meanwhile prepare the main defence line in the two houses south of the ford using the river as the main obstacle to stop the enemy.

Gardner: Deploy Battery 100 meters West of the house on Signal Hill

Fawcett: Grenadier Guards are reserve in the trees east of Signal Hill
Sennefís cavalry also will be here.

Phase 2:

Finch and Bates take over the fight at ford. Once you cannot hold anymore fall back into trees S/W of your position
Gardner: support Finch and Bates the defence of the ford with artillery fire.

Bird & Leroy: prepare fighting position on Signal Hill following height line form Gardner to trees.

Phase 3: announced by three bugle calls

Once enemy has a limited amount of troops south of the fort
On my command (3 bugle calls): Counter strike by all cavalry Sennef and Pruitt to clear this side of forth. Do not cross ford!
Fawcett follows and re-occupies houses south of ford. Cavalry returns to original position.

Phase 4:

The moment enemy re-engages in strength Fawcett fall back to trees SW of your position
Defence in depth forming perimeter around south of ford running from Signal Hill (infantry and artillery) to trees east of Signal Hill (cavalry)

IV. LOGISTICS: PM

V. C&C: CS at Gardnerís battery, control by runner and bugles
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 170928 1st Manassas Map.pdf (116.5 KB, 16 views)

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Last edited by Colonel Sennef; 10 Oct 17 at 03:40..
Old 29 Sep 17, 08:38
Lieutenant General
Canada
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300] Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300] Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300] Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300] Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300] Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300] Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300] Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300] Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300] Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300] Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300] Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300] Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300] Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300]
Turning around on his horse, Cpt Bird looks at his young officers and two runners.

"Mr Frumm...You and a runner wait for the Green Jacket company at that location on the road (Pointing with his hand). Stop the company and keep it in column on the right side of the road, and away from any lethal fire from the river. Cpt Leroy's company will be joining - Keep them on the left side of the road."

Looking at his second runner " Get Mr Walsh (Company second-in-command) to bring the Green Jackets to Mr Frumm's location. Have Mr Walsh have the company here soonest and ready to fight. Extra kit can be left with the Quartermaster and his wagons at his current location. Got it. Now go."

Last edited by Capt AFB; 29 Sep 17 at 12:58..
Old 29 Sep 17, 12:58
Lieutenant General
Canada

Turning back to the face the rest of the Brigade leadership.

"Well, Gents, if we are going to enter the the chaos of the battlefield, let's do it quickly and with a semblance of organisation!

"I have two concerns:

First - Are the Yankee skirmishers guarding the ford and acting as a trip-wire of sorts to reserve forces that will be coming to their help, or are they the vanguard of a larger enemy force which intent is to use the ford? In any case, we need to act fast.

Second - That barn and other building on the right, across the river. If I was the Yanks, I would have anchor my defense of the ford on both buildings...So interestingly the enemy skirmishers went in the other direction.We are either facing green troops or they are setting us up for an ambush!

"So with the Colonel's permission, I would slightly change his plan and propose the following course of action for Phase 1:

"Cpt Gardner may I ask you to shoot a few shells in the barn and perhaps a couple more in the building to see any enemy reaction - Better send a shell than a soldier to keep our losses to a minimum.

"Cpt Pruit (or his orderly/rep),may we count on the speed and courage of your brave cavalrymen to rapidly cross the ford and do three things:
Threated the Yanks skirmishers left flank
Check the buildings and hold until relieved by light infantry
Push further up to find the enemy's main force

"Perhaps once Gardner's guns hit the barn, they can swing around and support the crossing of your cavalry. I'm not sure there will be enough time to hit the barn and then support the cavalry crossing ...Perhaps the guns can do it in the reverse order?

"Cpt Leroy, your infantry seems to be the most experienced here. May I ask you to cross the ford right after the cavalry and then engage and push away the enemy skirmishers. Pruitt's threat to their flank should help you.

"I will follow right behind you with my Green Jackets.

"If there is enemy in the buildings, that will be my objectives. If none or little enemy is found, I will help Leroy by marching to threaten the yanks flanks before moving to the barn and using it has my main defensive position.

"Let's try to stay North of the river as long as possible to give time to Finch and Bates to prepare their defensive positions.

"Gents, haste is of essence here. Unless someone sees a flaw in the plan and has a better proposition, I am ready to proceed in the coming minutes."

Last edited by Capt AFB; 29 Sep 17 at 16:41..
Old 29 Sep 17, 13:13
Israel

Quote:
"So with the Colonel's permission, I would slightly change his plan and propose the following course of action:
CS smiles and nods:
Go ahead Captain, we're mission oriented in Rainbow

Old 29 Sep 17, 15:55
ACG Forums - General Staff
France
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Summer Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
"The Tarheel Legion will do whatever is ordered."

Captain Pruitt, Tarheel Legion Cavalry

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!