StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > ACG Community Run Wargames

Notices and Announcements

ACG Community Run Wargames Conflict simulations run by forum members for the ACG community.

Old 21 Sep 17, 17:58
Lieutenant General
Australia
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 
CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400]
Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400] Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400] Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400] Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400]
Militia. Militia. They would show Bryan, and the Governor too.

A planter from outside Fayetteville, Harry Fawcett was resplendent in his green and black jacket over near-standard butternut shirt and trousers. His shoulders bore tasteful 'wings' to mark him as commander of the First Grenadiers. Of course, they were also the Only Grenadiers at present but that would change. Oh, it would change.

Watching the newly announced Major Grimes trot off to his new command, Harry turned directly to the other officers assembled and gave them a piercing look. "Greetings gentlemen. I'm pleased as ever to see so many gathered here in defense of our glorious homeland; it's only been a week since the legislature resolved to defend our rights, so to see so many of us gathered here, well... it speaks well for your devotion to the cause."

"I am a student of the Masters, and I have read military histories and accounts. I have not served ere now, yet I know my way around a battlefield. I nominate myself for Colonel of the Regiment, but will only serve in that role if a majority of my peers - you gentlemen - will it to be so."

"Are there any other nominations?"

Last edited by Khryses; 21 Sep 17 at 18:06..
Old 21 Sep 17, 18:40
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
"I shan't pretend to be a military man by training. I have long engaged in the business of machines and as a mechanical engineer. I do know that my men have but scant training on the cannon I procured. They will need more before they are thrust into battle or it is likely they, and the considerable cost I have gone to in procuring those cannon, will be wasted.
"I have acquired a US and British ordinance manual on the training and use of these cannon, but I will not move to battle unless the men are properly trained in their use. I shall need about two weeks minimum to give them some proper training.
"I shall leave the choice of command of this legion to those who will serve in the line, as they it would seem to me have the most to gain or lose from this endeavor."

Matthew Gardner, Captain of Artillery, CSA.
Old 21 Sep 17, 22:56
ACG Forums - General Staff
France
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Summer Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Captain Pruitt addresses his Troop: "Men I have here a manual that will be published soon by Colonel Phillip St George Crooke. We will learn how to do formations and marches. We will practice the Mounted Charge from a column of fours and dismounted defense. We have a recently retired Army Sergeant that has accepted the office of Regimental Sergeant Major who will teach us basics in maneuvers. There will be offhand target practice and mounted target practice. I want to see some targets hit! The best shot in each platoon will get an extra dollar per week and be immune from camp chores. You will not be allowed to take body servants, but we do have vacancies for a wagon driver and several mule skinners. I have been able to hire a man who can cook, but be aware each Squad will have a Mule and a camp kettle to make Beans or Stew. Do we have anyone that can play a bugle? It is an extra dollar a month. We will start training with some distance marches which will give us a chance to practice some formation drills. You voted on Sergeants, Corporals and Lieutenants. If your leader can't learn to find liquor some of you will hide, I will replace them.

Any Questions?"

Captain Pruitt, Tarheel Legion Cavalry

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"
Old 22 Sep 17, 02:44
ACG Forums - Africanus Majoris
Israel
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign 

Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Digesting the words of Bryan Grimes,
CS is looking around the group to judge what effect Grimes' lines had on the others. That in fact he was telling us that we're the state's oddballs. What guts...

CS detects a flicker of the indignition he feels in Harry Fawcett too. Good!
Time to act on it.

CS raises his hand:
'I support your candidacy Harry.'
'However if some of you feel that the interest of our brigade, and I say brigade because we're a mix of arms: cavalry, infantry and artillery, not a single arm regiment, is better served under my command, I will be available for this postition too.'

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.
Old 22 Sep 17, 04:17
General of the Forums
Belgium
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Captain Atticus Finch, with a company of able bodied and slightly trained line infantry reporting ready for action, gentlemen.

(...)

In regard to command of our "Legion" I suggest we take a page from the book of the Romans an appoint both candidates as commanders to be held responsible jointly for the wellbeing of our unit, and each separately for carrying out the orders received from higher echelons.

This will allow one to command in the absence of the other if need be, and when both present, allow for subdivision of our command.

Captain Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Co.

Last edited by Snowygerry; 22 Sep 17 at 04:31..
Sponsored Links

Old 22 Sep 17, 05:21
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Sennef View Post
Digesting the words of Bryan Grimes,
CS is looking around the group to judge what effect Grimes' lines had on the others. That in fact he was telling us that we're the state's oddballs. What guts...

CS detects a flicker of the indignition he feels in Harry Fawcett too. Good!
Time to act on it.

CS raises his hand:
'I support your candidacy Harry.'
'However if some of you feel that the interest of our brigade, and I say brigade because we're a mix of arms: cavalry, infantry and artillery, not a single arm regiment, is better served under my command, I will be available for this postition too.'
My battery, whether it's just the two rifles I have now, or expanded, will when trained be competent on the field with any "regulars." That I'm relegated to supporting militia makes no difference. I will provide competent and effective artillery support to the legion if that's my mission.
Old 22 Sep 17, 17:25
Captain
Finland

Senorankka is on the path to success [1-99] Senorankka is on the path to success [1-99] Senorankka is on the path to success [1-99] Senorankka is on the path to success [1-99] Senorankka is on the path to success [1-99] Senorankka is on the path to success [1-99]
"Are you serious that those men outside are my company?"

"Yes Mr. Bates"

"Well damned be them."

Abraham Bates looked outside though the window of his office and saw the ragtag bunch of men gathered outside. Not a single one of them had similar clothing and it looked more like someone just dragged them out of some god forsaken swamp.

"Mr. Bates, they might look like ragtag bunch of uncivilized farm folk, but they are the best you can find here."

"Fine, get the men armed and ready. And find them some green cloaks, cloth or something to distinguish them from the rest" Said Abraham Bates and looked at the grates full of of Calisher and Terry Carbines behind him.

"Damn waste of these rifles" He muttered to himself before heading out to meet the men.
Old 23 Sep 17, 01:14
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
June 30th, 1861

After a little over a month, the men have been drilled and drilled, and the locals of the Beaufort County area have hosted parties for the officers.

A message comes in from Raleigh:

"While it is not the first choice of the Governor to send untried and eccentric militia to the front, in this he has little choice. The Federal Army under Genr'l McDowell is continuing to grow, and Genr'l Beauregard needs to match man for man if maybe not in capability. The governor expects that you will do your duty and acquit yourself with honor.

You are to march as soon as possible to Weldon, where you will entrain to join the Army of the Potomac under Beauregard for whatever purpose he might find for you to do. No additional stores or supplies will be furnished but those rations which you require at Weldon for your trip to Virginia. You must make all haste, lest you arrive too late to be of any use that the General might want"

Charles A Kew, Colonel of NC Troops,
Headquarters Raleigh
Old 23 Sep 17, 03:00
Israel
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign 

Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacCovert4 View Post
A message comes in from Raleigh:

You are to march as soon as possible to Weldon, where you will entrain to join the Army of the Potomac under Beauregard for whatever purpose he might find for you to do. No additional stores or supplies will be furnished but those rations which you require at Weldon for your trip to Virginia. You must make all haste, lest you arrive too late to be of any use that the General might want"

Charles A Kew, Colonel of NC Troops,
Headquarters Raleigh
"Well gentlemen, we got our marching orders, 130 KMs NW to Weldon

I suggest:
1. we advance as a unit to Weldon asap
2. we chose our leader on the march,
3. who can present us as a unit to the general

Let's go!"

"Bugler: Sennef's Saddle Blazers will Mount Up!"

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Last edited by Colonel Sennef; 23 Sep 17 at 12:33..
Old 23 Sep 17, 08:00
Lieutenant General
Canada
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300] Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300] Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300] Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300] Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300] Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300] Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300] Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300] Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300] Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300] Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300] Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300] Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300] Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300]
Having his bugler fetch his officers and First Sergeant, Cpt Bird reads the orders once more. He then gives the letter to his runner who quickly carries it to the Grenadier Guards commander set up with his troops in a bivouac about 1/4 mile down the dirt road.

When the command group assembles, Cpt Bird provides his direction -

"Gents, it is a lovely day for a walk.

We have received orders to march post-haste to Weldon.

I have no idea who is going to lead this gaggle of mixed matched troops, but grenadier companies opened the march in the Napoleon's armies so let's set up our Green Jackets column behind the grenadiers guards...Assuming they know how to find their own @$$es without a blindfolded and using two hands... ( Slight chuckles from the officers and FS.)

1st Platoon leads, followed by 2nd and 3rd Platoons. Quartermaster sergeant with our two horse-wagons to set up right behind the 3rd Platoon.

Make sure the men have their canteen full of water...I say again - WATER.

Be set up and ready to march in 60 minutes. I know it short on time, but I aim to have this company able to get itself ready in 30 minutes in the future, so you have twice the time today!

Any questions?"

Mr. Frumm, the young 2nd Lieutenant assigned as assistant platoon leader to Lt Wright's 2nd Platoon looks around wondering if this was an appropriate time...

Cpt Bird looks at the young officer. "What is on your mind, Mr Frumm?"

"Well, Sir, I was...We were...Your officers were wondering if you wanted to take the commander's position in leading the Legion...Sir?"

Cpt Bird sighs...He looks at the gathering and says "Absolutely NOT!

"Any other questions? No?...OK. Go form up. See you in 60 minutes. Go."

"Perhaps Finch or Bates would take the Legion" thinks to himself Nathaniel Bird, as he mounts to his horse to oversee his company prepare for the march.

Last edited by Capt AFB; 23 Sep 17 at 23:37..
Old 23 Sep 17, 10:53
France
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Summer Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Captain Pruitt calls his orderly: "I want an officer call in five minutes, please."

Five minutes later, he addresses the assembled officers: "We have our marching orders, gentlemen. I want the men ready to go in thirty minutes. They will pack three days rations, in case we miss any feedings after we get to the railroad. I want excess baggage left behind packed up to be sent to the plantation and marked for ownership. Have the Sergeants check that canteens only hold water. Make sure the mount's forage bags have hay and the horse blankets are clean. We will want to make a good impression.

Before we roadmarch I want the NCO's to check saddle bags to make sure there is no alcohol. Brig Rats will be released in order to pack their gear and prepare their mounts. Once at the railhead we will need to load the Wagon and Mules, so see to it, XO.

Gentlemen, we are going to war!"

Captain Pruitt

Old 23 Sep 17, 13:51
General of the Forums
United_States

At the battery position, "Lieutenant, we will leaving for Weldon in Virginia in about an hour. Have the battery assembled for a road march. Or guns will lead the column, then the caissons. The wagons and carriage with our supplies and camp baggage will follow. The rear will be brought up by the battery, and forge wagons. Make sure Sargent MacPherison is on that wagon to watch for stragglers. Inform him that the artisans and fitters shall help and repair any wagon that might need such as we go.

"Gun crews are to ride the limbers and caissons. The rest of the men shall ride as they find room on the wagons. The journeymen and artisans will accompany the battery and forge wagons.'

I take a sheet of paper and sketch a rough map of our intended route out. "This is our route of march."

Last edited by T. A. Gardner; 23 Sep 17 at 15:01..
Old 23 Sep 17, 14:54
Israel

CS trots up to captain Pruitt, his fellow cavalry commander.

Amice, I suggest our two horse units take turns to screen the advance of our brigade/legion, whatever we call ourselves, to Weldon.
The sooner we start to behave like cavalry the better and screening our advance through friendly territory will be great practice for both of us.
What do you say?

Old 23 Sep 17, 16:40
France

"Would you like to take the lead as we leave? We can alternate the lead every three hours or so. We train to march for 55 minutes an hour and rest for 5 minutes."

Captain Pruitt, Tarheel Legion Cavalry

Old 23 Sep 17, 21:14
General of the Forums
United_States

I for one will not press my battery forward at some insane rate without proper rest and care. To arrive at the battlefield in disarray incapacitated by rushing there breakneck is to lose everything before we even engage in battle.

As I say in my business dealings:

You may have it fast, right, or cheaply. Pick two. As this legion stands, we should pick right and cheaply, until such time as we are of financial bounty that fast may be substituted. I am reminded of reading For want of a nail, the horse was lost...

I shall not, and will not place our endeavor in jeopardy by rushing forward into battle, heedless of our men or equipment. My unit will see to proper care of its men, horses, and equipment and arrive in good order.
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!