StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > ACG Community Run Wargames

Notices and Announcements

ACG Community Run Wargames Conflict simulations run by forum members for the ACG community.

View Poll Results: If you're interested in playing, would you prefer the civilian/economic side be:
Directly player controlled 3 25.00%
Modeled abstractly, only indirectly impacting the game 9 75.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 31 Oct 17, 10:44
Lieutenant General
Australia
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400]
Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400] Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400] Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400] Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400] Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400]
Eagles Deux - Interest Check

Since the first Eagles Have Flown I've been working on and off on improving and honing the system; simplifying or abstracting the bits that were unnecessarily complicated or tedious, getting everyone involved more quickly and filling in some of the blank "unoccupied" spaces of the map.

After some discussion with a few players I've taken this off the back burner and now working on getting it ready to relaunch in a more streamlined (and far less book keeping-heavy) format.

This isn't going to launch immediately and may not start until after Rainbow Brigade Episode 2 wraps; for now this is a two-layered interest check.

1. Who is interested in returning to Britannia in the wake of the Roman withdrawal, to rebuild the land in his (or her) own image?

2. If you are interested, would you prefer the civilian/economic side be your direct responsibility or be run in the background and impact you only indirectly? (this is the Poll Q)
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 31 Oct 17, 11:17
ACG Forums - General Staff
France
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Summer Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I am in! I am not sure what your question us asking. My taking a character was based on getting a good income per turn. Which one gets better income?

Pruitt

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"
Old 31 Oct 17, 12:37
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 
CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]

Economics........
Old 31 Oct 17, 14:07
Colonel
UK
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khryses View Post
Eagles Deux - Interest Check
Never heard of it, is it a wargame?
I was born in Leicester (England) a former garrison town of Rome's infamous 14th Legion, (aka "Nero's Killing Machine"), and it sounds interesting..
Old 31 Oct 17, 14:14
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 
CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Eagles have flown was one of our more epic wargames that kind of died in a morass of paperwork. Hence K's efforts to streamline before putting it up for a second offering.

I won't be reprising my last role....but it doesn't mean that I won't be taking a very fun role for everyone. If by fun for everyone you mean me dominating the unfortunate.....
Old 01 Nov 17, 01:48
Lieutenant General
Australia
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400] Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400] Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400] Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400] Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400]
Eagles have Flown is/was a forum game set in the late 5th century AD after the withdrawal of Roman forces (and authority?) from the far-flung provinces of Britannia. It was a lot of fun from a theme standpoint and has lots of flexibility in some areas and was incredibly rigid in others (I only allowed each player three "actions" in a bid to restrict complexity. This led to the formation of "kingdoms" to let different players focus in different areas for the whole).

Unfortunately the complexity grew wholly insupportable and eventually I didn't have the 6+ hours required to generate an update.

Though we shall never forget the one-armed Lupus and his war elephant, the Sarmatian Knights of Arthwys or the noble Emperor of the south.

Not to mention (ever) Berengar, the Scourge of Saxon Suffolk!

With 20/20 hindsight there are areas I'll be allowing more freedom (such as how you spend your turn), areas I'll be restricting (unit types and equipment are notable here) and areas I'll be improving all around. Whatever the poll's decision, there won't be the same massive void left in between the player-organized holdings.

I have a better map as well; rather than plotting individual locations we will be able to determine zones that are under Control by given players and whether another player has a Presence there.

I've had time to think about these things.

Reworded, my poll question could be expressed as:

Do you want players to be focusing on economic development (option 1) or let that go on in the background and focus more on armies, intrigue and battle (option 2).
Old 01 Nov 17, 03:21
France
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Summer Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Is there a problem making them equal? The reason some of us went to Kingdoms is because it allowed the "King" to use three actions per member of the kingdom. That is how the Southern kingdom was able to raise such a large army. l think Craven was the guy with the Cataphracts. The problem we had was getting large war horses.

Pruitt

Old 01 Nov 17, 04:11
Lieutenant General
Australia

No problem, and “equal” is option 1.

I understood why the kingdoms formed, and if people wanted to use their actions at the direction of their leader to make them more effective I certainly wasn’t complaining.

This time around I doubt it will be needed though, and players should have far more agency.

I’m likely looking at three pre-existing protostates with two players each, although I’ll consider an expansion if we have an overwhelming turnout.
Old 01 Nov 17, 06:06
France

Who gets to choose first? I got into the last game late and I did not see who got where. Several were better than others for resources.

Pruitt

Old 01 Nov 17, 07:41
Captain
Finland
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Senorankka is on the path to success [1-99] Senorankka is on the path to success [1-99] Senorankka is on the path to success [1-99] Senorankka is on the path to success [1-99] Senorankka is on the path to success [1-99] Senorankka is on the path to success [1-99]
Modeled abstractly, only indirectly impacting the game

I chose this. While paperwork and excel is fun and I like accurate stuff, from GMs POV it is huge pain in the ass. By abstracting this stuff, I think your work should be easier. The problem is that, these abstract rules have to be idiotproof to prevent loopholes and too eager excel warriors.
Sponsored Links

Old 01 Nov 17, 07:41
Lieutenant General
Australia

If we get the numbers I’ll finish my development (aligned to the poll selection) and open recruitment on a particular date (with notice given) to give everyone as fair a shot as possible.
Old 01 Nov 17, 09:57
General of the Forums
United_States
CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

The son of Woden sits on a rock, staring out over the breakers at the open sea with piercing grey eyes. The biting winter wind whips through his shock of raven-black hair, and ruffles the grey wolf fur on his cloak, the only part of his attire that is not severe and black itself. He grips the hilt of his sword lightly, a Spatha taken from the body of a Roman Centurion several years hence. And he thinks....thinks of land, and money to build a home....for he has no place here to call his own. He is but a stranger in his own lands, a man of noble bloodline but with no nobility or inheritance. Everything that is his was gained by him.

"My Lord" Another man in equally severe dress says, stepping up behind him.

"Yes Ulf"

"Dinner is ready at the camp"

His cloak flapping behind him, the son of Woden walks back from the stones.....tonight at least they are safe.....
Old 01 Nov 17, 19:39
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Didn't I play this one before?

Nevertheless, my interest is piqued, so count me in.

"Aim small, miss small."

Chieftain Iosephus Namathus of Brigantes, Eagles Deux

"I am Britannia!"
Old 01 Nov 17, 20:22
General of the Forums
Canada
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 
SPQR Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Yes I'm interested in a second go.
Old 01 Nov 17, 20:25
Lieutenant General
Australia

I believe so Cheetah, so good to have you back.

That's four (edit: Five!) interested votes for a more abstracted system, so I'll work on the Civites (Civilian side of post-Roman Britain) being modeled only abstractly.

The good news is this means we won't need paired players for each faction!

I'm targeting either:

6 British players with the Picts abstracted
6 British players, 1 Pictish player with the Irish abstracted
6 British, 1 Pictish and 1 Irish player (with... certain other elements abstracted)

You may remember last time we had a very free-form map with settlements and cities being marked and claimed as we went.

This time around we'll do things a little differently.

Here we see the Iceni player (Blue) with Control of Norfolk and Suffolk, meaning he gets the full income and recruitment from these regions.

Last turn he established a Presence in Metaris, as did the Brigantes player (Red) although the Romano-British administration still retains Control of the region.

The Romano-British would earn only part of the natural income from this region, so may look to drive out or profit from the other factions' Presence there.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!