StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Current Events > Europe

Notices and Announcements

Europe Issues of modern Europe.

Old 12 Sep 17, 19:23
General of the Forums
UK
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

MarkV is simply cracking [600]
MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600]
Could you live in a shoe box?

It looks like a very comfortable shoe box and better than a cardboard box or a street doorway - but still a shoe box. I've been in Japanese hotel rooms that were bigger.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-engl...r-the-homeless

No place for books -arrghhaa
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 12 Sep 17, 20:44
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Not full time but I could live in something that size as a vacation cabin up in the woods.
Old 12 Sep 17, 20:45
Captain
United_States

phil74501 has demonstrated strength of character [100] phil74501 has demonstrated strength of character [100] phil74501 has demonstrated strength of character [100] phil74501 has demonstrated strength of character [100] phil74501 has demonstrated strength of character [100] phil74501 has demonstrated strength of character [100] phil74501 has demonstrated strength of character [100] phil74501 has demonstrated strength of character [100]
That's a popular thing, allegedly, here in the US these days. So popular there are even tv shows about it.

http://www.fyi.tv/shows/tiny-house-nation
Old 12 Sep 17, 21:24
Lieutenant General
United_States

wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300]
Sure. if I was single.
Old 12 Sep 17, 21:52
General of the Forums
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700]
It would be better then a small one room apartment in a big complex.
Even better if it was in the boonies.
Old 12 Sep 17, 23:56
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Really. I put a "man cave" on a property I own. It's an 8 x 10 cabin with two bunks. As a place to stay it has most of the amenities necessary and is on a 2 acre lot that has room to build. Rainwater harvesting, solar power, and using things like a barbeque to cook make it almost practical to live there continuously. All you'd need to add is a toilet and septic system (safely doable in spite of government).
Old 13 Sep 17, 01:31
First Lieutenant
United_States

Tuebor is on the path to success [1-99] Tuebor is on the path to success [1-99] Tuebor is on the path to success [1-99] Tuebor is on the path to success [1-99] Tuebor is on the path to success [1-99] Tuebor is on the path to success [1-99]
Where is a homeless person going to get 40,000 pounds?

Tuebor
Old 13 Sep 17, 04:26
General of the Forums
UK
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

MarkV is simply cracking [600]
MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuebor View Post
Where is a homeless person going to get 40,000 pounds?

Tuebor
Ever heard the word renting?
Old 13 Sep 17, 04:50
General of the Forums
Australia
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

At ease gives and gets respect [800] At ease gives and gets respect [800]
At ease gives and gets respect [800] At ease gives and gets respect [800] At ease gives and gets respect [800]
Could you live in a shoe box?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkV View Post
shoe box
My parents could, and did.

After my parents were married in December 1944 whilst my father was on a very short leave from the Royal Australian Navy, they moved into a rented no bedroom(correct - no bedroom, not "one bedroom") terrace apartment in North Sydney which was significantly smaller than the "shoe box" as shown in the OP.

They shared (outside)bathroom facilities with four other couples.

No modern conveniences as shown in the video.

"It had a gas ring for cooking".

They weren't homeless or destitute - they had 20 pounds in the bank between them when they got married.

That's just how it was for couples starting out in wartime Sydney who were not prepared to live with their parents.

Things were better for those living further away from the centre of the city, but not by much for those trying to survive on an able seaman's ("six bob a day")and assembly line worker's pay.

My father is long dead but my mother can relay, with absolute clarity(no alzheimers disease even at 93 years old), the conditions that they were faced with.

Only 2 weeks ago she commented on the conditions they faced compared with the bleating she hears today about the "housing crisis" facing people trying to purchase real estate in Australia's larger metropolitan centres in 2017.

They had to live in very trying conditions whilst they saved a house deposit, and even after they purchased a house they could not move into it for three further years as the house they purchased had "protected tennants" occupying it for this time.

The "arrival" of my elder sister, and brother, and consequently myself(with a number of miscarriages in-between), was delayed for a number of years because of the lack of suitable accommodation.

My father's war caused medical conditions did not exactly help speed up the process either.

The term "they don't make 'em like they used to" certainly applies to my parent's generation in most part.

It's no wonder that people of my mother's generation vehemently "bitch" about freeloading country shoppers/boat people/illegals who get "free this" and "free that" the instant that they arrive here in Australia and other similar Western nations.

Also, the payment of government cash handouts(and associated benefits) every time an unmarried mother "pops out" another illegitimate child to a random unknown new father just adds to the chagrin, and the government deficit.

I agree with her outlook 100%, which I believe is fully justified.

And yet, the "snowflakes" and SJW's are determined to ensue that "more of the same" is provided to those that have not contributed a cent to a nation's financial well being and are determined to derail our Christian traditions with same sex marriage nonsense - as Australia is going through right now like Ireland did a few years ago.

It's no surprise that my mother told me, again, this afternoon that she does not want to live any longer due to the sad state of affairs we are in now compared to what her and my father's generation had to put up with.

P.S. It is quite uplifting, in my mother's current mental state,

to learn a few months ago that illegal arrivals were going to each receive circa $A35,000 compensation payout for "illegal detention" on Manus Island.

[That island was the forward base for the British Pacific Fleet in 1945. My father sailed there a number of times whilst on active duty with the RAN.]

Quote:
June 14 2017
Save
Print
License article

Manus Island class action: government to compensate former detainees in huge settlement

The Australian government has agreed to compensate 1900 asylum seekers currently or formerly held at the Manus Island detention centre, in what may be Australia's largest ever human rights-related settlement.

Lawyers Slater and Gordon confirmed the Commonwealth had agreed to reach a conditional settlement of $70 million plus costs, to be distributed to asylum seekers based on the length of their detention and severity of their alleged injuries.

It is understood costs will exceed $20 million.

Immigration Minister Peter Dutton put the blame back on Labor, which reopened the Manus Island detention centre in 2012, but said settling the case was the "prudent" decision.

"To date, Australian taxpayers have paid more than $13.7 billion to clean up Labor's loss of control of our borders. Today another $90 million was added to that bill," he said.

[.....]
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politi...13-gwqlu3.html

Of course, Australia's federal government should have been defending our borders - like my father and his mates did, and stopped the massive influx of illegals to our shores over the past decade and spent the Quote $13.7 billion Unquote on our own citizens.

The Australian department of Veteran's Affairs would not even pay $US57 for a special "backlit" corded home telephone that I needed to purchase(from the USA via Amazon) for my mum earlier this year because she is going blind.

No Australian supplier had one suitable and I needed it ASAP so I stumped up the money for it.

They would not talk to me about this matter because I had not gone through the "Privacy Law" procedures and therefore would not reimburse me.

"Privacy Laws".....another modern day clusterf

$57 to aid a nearly blind 93 year old war widow denied.

Illegals - no problem.

Step right up.

Fg disgraceful cs

"Talking about airplanes is a very pleasant mental disease."
Sergei(son of Igor) Sikorsky, 'AOPA Pilot' magazine February 2003.

Last edited by At ease; 13 Sep 17 at 06:09.. Reason: To add news article.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!