StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Vietnam War

Notices and Announcements

Vietnam War The Battle for Vietnam. .

Old 11 Sep 17, 10:57
Recruit
United_States

Visitor is on the path to success [1-99]
Vietnam Era versus Veteran

I love my father, but something he does has my conscience in conflict. I don't know what the official term or definition is, but he calls himself a "Vietnam Era Veteran". He was in the Army during the Vietnam era, but did not serve in Vietnam or serve in a job directly affecting the Vietnam conflict.

While he calls himself an "era" veteran, he will do things like post quotes on his Facebook relating to "If you ran through the jungles of Hell, give me a Hell yes" with a Vietnam picture. He wears a hat or shirt stating US Army Vietnam Veteran. When someone asks him if he served, he will say US Army 1970 Vietnam.

I personally have no military service under my belt, but my heart & soul tell me this is wrong. I feel my father-in-law feels the same. Now he was a Green Beret & was directly in the heart of it. When the two start discussing the Army, her family will suddenly "have to leave".

I love my father & I don't think he is trying to lie, but I wonder if there is some small print somewhere stating he is an "era" veteran & he is taking it far too literally.

I would prefer fact print versus opinion. Can someone tell me if this is a true rule being exercised correctly or is he far over-stating his rights?

Thanks.
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 11 Sep 17, 11:12
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
It could be he's regretting not having been in-country?
Old 11 Sep 17, 12:05
Colonel
UK
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visitor View Post
..I would prefer fact print versus opinion..
I haven't seen any printed rule about it so I'll have to toss my own opinion into the playpen for what it's worth, namely I should imagine that in legal terms, bragging is only a no-no only if it's done to try to con people out of money or whatever.
But in the case of your dad it's just harmless line-shooting so I wouldn't read too much into it, it's not as if he's going around saying straight out he was an in-country Nam combat vet..
Old 11 Sep 17, 12:19
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]  [+1]
Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Nam era and Nam vet. The first doesn't mean shhit. No disgrace but nothing to pound his chest about. From him calling himself a Nam vet, I got a size 12 for his ass. That is what today is called stolen valor.

You seem to have much more character than your father.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

'half-baked, spurious nationalism'
Old 11 Sep 17, 14:41
Colonel
UK
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100]
I think we've all met line-shooters sometime in our lives (especially in internet forums) claiming to be something they're not.
They're easy to spot because if we start probing them about details of their military service, they usually avoid the question, and if they try to bluff
it out we can easily trip them up for fun.
The same applies to military authors of allegedly "true" books or articles because sooner or later we'll pick up on the fact that they're making it up as they go along..
Old 11 Sep 17, 15:18
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]  [+1]
Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Old Spike View Post
I think we've all met line-shooters sometime in our lives (especially in internet forums) claiming to be something they're not.
They're easy to spot because if we start probing them about details of their military service, they usually avoid the question, and if they try to bluff
The same applies to military authors of allegedly "true" books or articles because sooner or later we'll pick up on the fact that they're making it up as they go along..
We have at least one here at ACG.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Old 11 Sep 17, 15:23
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Mountain Man has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Pint John View Post
We have at least one here at ACG.
Only one?
Old 11 Sep 17, 15:32
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
Only one?
Ok, I was excepting your word.

Adding you we have two.

Old 11 Sep 17, 20:10
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900]
Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900]
The company I worked for in the early 80s used the term "Vietnam Era Veteran", I always wondered what that was supposed to mean, but it always stuck in my craw every time I heard that expression.
Old 11 Sep 17, 20:36
ACG Forums - General Staff
France
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Summer Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
It is not the fault of the individuals that served during the Vietnam era if they never went to the place. I have a cousin that did four years in this period that spent most of it in Ethiopia! If you signed a contract that kept you away, you were just gaming the system. I volunteered after the era and never got out of basic. At least I volunteered.

I would never try to claim I was a Vietnam Vet. It would be disrespectful of the guys that went. They paid the price.

One of my neighbors down the street had a cousin that I met. He spent his entire tour in Saigon as a Dental Assistant on a hospital ship! The Armed Services then were huge and not everyone went to the RVN.

The funny thing is I got a certificate in the mail from Gerald Ford saluting me as a Veteran! Maybe it was the result of all those times he fell down? It would be nice for the family to get a flag when I die, but only to me.

Pruitt

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"
Sponsored Links

Old 11 Sep 17, 20:52
General of the Forums
Australia
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600]
BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Old Spike View Post
I suppose it all boils down to Dr Samuel Johnson's
" Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier,or not having been to sea"
Old 11 Sep 17, 22:17
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700]
jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700] jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700] jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700] jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700] jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700] jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700] jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700] jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700] jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700] jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700] jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700] jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700] jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visitor View Post
I love my father, but something he does has my conscience in conflict. I don't know what the official term or definition is, but he calls himself a "Vietnam Era Veteran". He was in the Army during the Vietnam era, but did not serve in Vietnam or serve in a job directly affecting the Vietnam conflict.

While he calls himself an "era" veteran, he will do things like post quotes on his Facebook relating to "If you ran through the jungles of Hell, give me a Hell yes" with a Vietnam picture. He wears a hat or shirt stating US Army Vietnam Veteran. When someone asks him if he served, he will say US Army 1970 Vietnam.

I personally have no military service under my belt, but my heart & soul tell me this is wrong. I feel my father-in-law feels the same. Now he was a Green Beret & was directly in the heart of it. When the two start discussing the Army, her family will suddenly "have to leave".

I love my father & I don't think he is trying to lie, but I wonder if there is some small print somewhere stating he is an "era" veteran & he is taking it far too literally.

I would prefer fact print versus opinion. Can someone tell me if this is a true rule being exercised correctly or is he far over-stating his rights?

Thanks.
he is overstating himself. Vietnam era and Vietnam vet are leagues apart...
Old 12 Sep 17, 03:30
First Lieutenant
United_States

Tuebor is on the path to success [1-99] Tuebor is on the path to success [1-99] Tuebor is on the path to success [1-99] Tuebor is on the path to success [1-99] Tuebor is on the path to success [1-99] Tuebor is on the path to success [1-99]
My father was in the Air Force from '61-'64 and he just refers to himself as an AF vet, but never says that he was a Vietnam Vet. In fact he only learned about a month ago that because he served in the "Vietnam War Era" he is eligible to join the American Legion (which he did at a Vietnam vet buddy's urging). He did volunteer to go to Vietnam, but he was a radar technician on experimental radar (An/FPS-35) so his CO said "Nope, not gonna happen." So his "war stories" center around the Cuban Missile Crisis, and the jaunt to the only "hangout" in town (the local Dairy Queen). Joined the Air Force to see the world, but saw nothing but the middle of nowhere Alabama.

Tuebor
Old 12 Sep 17, 06:58
Major General
Australia
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Chukka has a spectacular aura about [400]
Chukka has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
It is not the fault of the individuals that served during the Vietnam era if they never went to the place. I have a cousin that did four years in this period that spent most of it in Ethiopia! If you signed a contract that kept you away, you were just gaming the system. I volunteered after the era and never got out of basic. At least I volunteered.

I would never try to claim I was a Vietnam Vet. It would be disrespectful of the guys that went. They paid the price.

One of my neighbors down the street had a cousin that I met. He spent his entire tour in Saigon as a Dental Assistant on a hospital ship! The Armed Services then were huge and not everyone went to the RVN.

The funny thing is I got a certificate in the mail from Gerald Ford saluting me as a Veteran! Maybe it was the result of all those times he fell down? It would be nice for the family to get a flag when I die, but only to me.

Pruitt

Yet there was a genuine recruitment ad that encouraged young guys to do just that. I came across this ad in a 1968 Life magazine archive.

https://books.google.com.au/books?id...page&q&f=false

17th May 1968 Page 20

"The eunuch should not take pride in his chastity."
Wu Cheng'en Monkey

Last edited by Chukka; 12 Sep 17 at 07:22..
Old 21 Sep 17, 10:45
Brigadier General
Russia
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

dmf01 is a jewel in the rough [500]
dmf01 is a jewel in the rough [500] dmf01 is a jewel in the rough [500] dmf01 is a jewel in the rough [500] dmf01 is a jewel in the rough [500] dmf01 is a jewel in the rough [500] dmf01 is a jewel in the rough [500] dmf01 is a jewel in the rough [500] dmf01 is a jewel in the rough [500]
The only excuse that I think of, is if all US soldiers - no matter where they had served - encountered the same hostile treatment from the US civilian population. Calling them "baby killers" and all that stuff (quite daft and detestable concerning that directed to their own country's servicemen, IMO). If so, may be one can call himself an "Era" veteran. Perhaps.

I, for my side of the Iron Curtain, as many of my friends, had served in the Soviet Army during the Soviet involvement in Afghanistan. None of us had been in this country and neither me nor my friends' minds ever crossed idea to call ourselves an "Afghanistan Era Veteran". I think if anyone would, he would certainly be laughed at.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!