StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Books, Film and Media > Film, DVD, and TV

Notices and Announcements

Film, DVD, and TV Discuss the latest movies at the theatre and on DVD, as well as what is on TV. ACG film reviews will also be found here.

Old 20 Sep 17, 11:02
Lieutenant General
Canada
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400]
I found myself howling with laughter at the end of the 2nd episode.

With Seth McFarlane its either really funny or really stupid. Sometimes its both at the same time.
Old 21 Sep 17, 02:17
ACG Forums - Field Marshal
Pirate
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft SPQR Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Trivia for those interested in this sort of thing. The second episode was directed by Robert Duncan McNeill, who played Lt. Paris on Star Trek Voyager. Future episodes will be directed by Brannon Braga, a producer with Voyager and Star Trek Enterprise, and Jonathon Frakes aka Riker from the Next Generation.

Last edited by Skoblin; 21 Sep 17 at 02:54..
Old 21 Sep 17, 02:48
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoblin View Post
Trivia for those interested in this sort of thing. The second episode was directed by Robert Duncan McMeill, who played Lt. Paris on Star Trek Voyager. Future episodes will be directed by Brannon Braga, a producer with Voyager and Star Trek Enterprise, and Jonathon Frakes aka Riker from the Next Generation.
Love the sig btw.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman
Old 21 Sep 17, 13:10
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Mountain Man has disabled reputation
Quote:
Trivia for those interested in this sort of thing. The second episode was directed by Robert Duncan McNeill, who played Lt. Paris on Star Trek Voyager. Future episodes will be directed by Brannon Braga, a producer with Voyager and Star Trek Enterprise, and Jonathon Frakes aka Riker from the Next Generation.
And created by Seth McFarlane himself, a notably unfunny man. How can we take this thing seriously as an actual series contender when the humor is worse that the Simpsons', the program is overtly sexually offensive and massively xenophobic, and below the media IQ to boot? And let's not forget the deliberate rip-off of major Trek characters and props.

I would have to be more than drunk to enjoy this inane piece of junk. Galaxy Quest was funny - this isn't.
Old 21 Sep 17, 20:32
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I think if MacFarlane played the straight man while insanity swirled in chaos around him it'd be funny. He would be the half clueless guy as the insanity ensued. Maybe add his talking to the audience directly with some obvious stuff making it clear it's all really just a big joke. He could introduce the bit pieces within the show.

Like this...

Captain to audience: My bridge crew is really taking shape. They've become such a dedicated bunch of professionals...
Carl (the Black guy on the helm): Turns to Lenny (White guy with orange hair) (Whispers) Hey, Lenny, I put Venusian rum in my soda cup. Want a hit?
Lenny: (Whispers) Man, you can be drinking and driving!
Carl: (W) It's all good dude. I drive better when I'm buzzed!

The ship sideswipes something...

Captain: What the hell? Did you just hit that (whatever it was)?
Lenny: No sir, they hit us.
Carl: /Snickers/

Captain: Fifty billion cubic miles of space and you let the only thing other than us sideswipe the ship? Do you know what the admiral is going to do to me?

Carl: (W) Bend you over for cheap sex? /snicker/
Lenny: (W) Man you are so wasted...

That's the sort of Seth MacFarlane gutter humor you'd expect from a show by him.
Sponsored Links

Old 21 Sep 17, 20:36
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
I think if MacFarlane played the straight man while insanity swirled in chaos around him it'd be funny. He would be the half clueless guy as the insanity ensued. Maybe add his talking to the audience directly with some obvious stuff making it clear it's all really just a big joke. He could introduce the bit pieces within the show.

Like this...

Captain to audience: My bridge crew is really taking shape. They've become such a dedicated bunch of professionals...
Carl (the Black guy on the helm): Turns to Lenny (White guy with orange hair) (Whispers) Hey, Lenny, I put Venusian rum in my soda cup. Want a hit?

Captain: Fifty billion cubic miles of space and you let the only thing other than us sideswipe the ship? Do you know what the admiral is going to do to me?

Lol, you should submit that to them. You just may have found a new niche.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman
Old 21 Sep 17, 23:30
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwaha View Post
Lol, you should submit that to them. You just may have found a new niche.
It isn't rocket science or NASA would be doing it. I could easily write funnier stuff than I've seen so far.
Old 22 Sep 17, 01:27
General of the Forums
Sinc
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Tsar is simply cracking [600]
Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post

Like this...

That's the sort of Seth MacFarlane gutter humor you'd expect from a show by him.

Someone is stealing from Heavy Metal.
Old 22 Sep 17, 01:38
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsar View Post
Someone is stealing from Heavy Metal.

Often the best ideas and material are ones that are recycled in a new and interesting way.
Old 22 Sep 17, 12:13
Lieutenant General
Canada
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
And created by Seth McFarlane himself, a notably unfunny man.
I think you have just documented that you do not have a sense of humour.
Old 22 Sep 17, 12:28
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Mountain Man has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianE View Post
I think you have just documented that you do not have a sense of humour.
Only to someone like yourself. What I really documented was a higher IQ than those who find toilet bowl humor funny.
Old 22 Sep 17, 14:12
ACG Forums - Field Marshal
Pirate
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft SPQR Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Just saw episode 3.
Very preachy.
Roddenberry would have been proud.
Old 22 Sep 17, 14:19
General of the Forums
United_States

Whew what a stinker.

Old 28 Sep 17, 18:21
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Just saw episode 3.
Very preachy.
Roddenberry would have been proud.
There is a profound difference between the two. The Original Series was punctuated by a series of morality plays. This episode of the Orville was simply promoting a leftist agenda.

(Better to die on your feet than live on your knees)
Old 29 Sep 17, 00:08
General of the Forums
United_States

Not tonight it wasn't. Seems there is no "Prime directive" on The Orville. Interfering with other societies is just fine with them. The bad guy was a pretty much a prick and the crew didn't hesitate to shoot people for the most part.

They also blew up some sort of enemy starship and there was no "We should search for survivors." Instead, the bridge crew seemed very pleased with blowing the living $h!+ out of it.

I will say the jokes remained kind of lame though. More than a few current cultural references and some toilet humor. Oh, the only crew member to be shot was in a red uniform...
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!