StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Real Time Strategy Games

Notices and Announcements

Real Time Strategy Games Discussion of all strategy games that use a Real-Time system, from the typical RTS games to the hardcore wargames.

Old 05 Sep 17, 16:58
Private First Class
United_States

Gunnyhighway is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Hum View Post
You are far from the first victim to refuse ever giving another cent to Matrix Games after they were screwed over by MNO. I have seen that message posted more times than I care to remember.

Even if Matrix is clueless as to how toxic MNO is and how badly it is poisoning the entire pool of potential wargame customers towards Matrix and all of its associated developers, other developers are not so obtuse. Panther Games left Matrix for new publisher Lock'n Load as soon as their contract ended with Matrix. It is a shame that good developers such as those for AE suffer from the shoddiness and unprofessionalism of MNO and Matrix.

Everything MNO touches turns to faeces.
Panther is a great developer, and I bought all their games all along the years.
Old 07 Sep 17, 22:29
Colonel
UK
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100]
This thread by somebody (not me) appeared in the Matrix CMANO tech support forum last month titled-
Ships do not manuever to expose defensive weapons with plotted course.
and drew a few replies from mods, and it appears a patch for it is coming "soon", so it seems they're sitting up and taking notice of what me and other naval nuts have been saying for a long time..
Old 07 Sep 17, 22:41
Brigadier General
Canada

Herman Hum has a spectacular aura about [400]
If the MNO developers had not ignored you two years ago, the bug could have been fixed in 2015.

If they had not been such arrogant asses, someone might have told them in 2013, when the game was release. Instead, folks just let them bumble along for four years with ships that could not defend themselves. Probably another in the long list of reasons why no professional organization in the world uses this game.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it
4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

FAQ http://www.harplonkhq.com/Harpoon/Fr...dQuestions.htm
Old 10 Sep 17, 11:18
Private First Class
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Hum View Post
why no professional organization in the world uses this game.
And with such a lack of responsiveness and flexibility coupled with dishonesty, no professional organization will be tempted to use it for a while.
Old 10 Sep 17, 11:33
Private First Class
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Old Spike View Post
taking notice of what me and other naval nuts
Don't make yourself more glorious than you are. You are not a naval nut. You did not know what DW, NWAC were a month ago, and you confused DW for a ship simulator. Then you recognized you did not play Cold Waters because you don't have the patience to track down an enemy submarine. On your Steam account you only have 28 game play hours of "Fleet Command", 4.5 game play hours od "Command: Chains of War", when you have 2,562 game play hours of Arma3; and we all know how much Arma3 is not a naval game and was not designed for that effect.

You love instant gratuitous narcissistic superficial action, and you hate to have to manage complexity.

You are just a nut for Battlefront.com and their game Combat Mission. As it is the only tank arcadish game from which you have been able to retrieve some personal limelight out of the confine of your clan.

Are you going to show us a picture of the wall of your trophy room again?...lol!

Last edited by Gunnyhighway; 10 Sep 17 at 12:15..
Sponsored Links

Old 10 Sep 17, 13:08
General of the Forums
Finland
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900]
Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyhighway View Post
Don't make yourself more glorious than you are. You are not a naval nut. You did not know what DW, NWAC were a month ago, and you confused DW for a ship simulator. Then you recognized you did not play Cold Waters because you don't have the patience to track down an enemy submarine. On your Steam account you only have 28 game play hours of "Fleet Command", 4.5 game play hours od "Command: Chains of War", when you have 2,562 game play hours of Arma3; and we all know how much Arma3 is not a naval game and was not designed for that effect.

You love instant gratuitous narcissistic superficial action, and you hate to have to manage complexity.

You are just a nut for Battlefront.com and their game Combat Mission. As it is the only tank arcadish game from which you have been able to retrieve some personal limelight out of the confine of your clan.

Are you going to show us a picture of the wall of your trophy room again?...lol!
Ah Gunny, that's a bit petty and uncalled for.
Old 12 Sep 17, 12:44
Colonel
UK

Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
On your Steam account you only have 28 game play hours of "Fleet Command", 4.5 game play hours of "Command: Chains of War", when you have 2,562 game play hours of Arma3; and we all know how much Arma3 is not a naval game and was not designed for that effect..
You've only made 24 posts here at AG mate so you're obviously a green novice which would explain why you don't know how Steam works, but I'm glad to clue you in..
Listen up- when we buy a game on Steam, the hours of play begin racking up from that point, and as I've only had Fleet Command, Dangerous Waters and Chains on Steam for a month or two, that's why my hours haven't built up yet, gettit?
In fact, I've had the original FC and DW for at least 10 years outside Steam and have put in many hours on them, and I bought them on Steam recently just to see if they were newer updated versions..

PS- Although I'm a naval nut, I'm also a ground/air/space warfare nut too, and am interested in all periods of warfare from ancient to modern.
Here's the current list of my games on Steam which reflects that fact, plus I own many other games that are not Steam games, so they don't show up on this list.
Let me know if there's anything else you need explaining..

Last edited by Poor Old Spike; 12 Sep 17 at 12:53..
Old 12 Sep 17, 15:37
Private First Class
United_States

Quote:
You've only made 24 posts here at AG mate so you're obviously a green novice which would explain why you don't know how Steam works, but I'm glad to clue you in..
Listen up- when we buy a game on Steam, the hours of play begin racking up from that point, and as I've only had Fleet Command, Dangerous Waters and Chains on Steam for a month or two, that's why my hours haven't built up yet, gettit?
In fact, I've had the original FC and DW for at least 10 years outside Steam and have put in many hours on them, and I bought them on Steam recently just to see if they were newer updated versions..

PS- Although I'm a naval nut, I'm also a ground/air/space warfare nut too, and am interested in all periods of warfare from ancient to modern.
Here's the current list of my games on Steam which reflects that fact, plus I own many other games that are not Steam games, so they don't show up on this list.
Let me know if there's anything else you need explaining..

You must feel so offended to justify yourself like that in public. Sorry for the discomfort!

Last edited by Gunnyhighway; 12 Sep 17 at 16:11..
Old 12 Sep 17, 19:29
Colonel
UK

Quote:
You must feel so offended to justify yourself like that in public. Sorry for the discomfort!
Speaking of discomfort mate, how are your ribs doing under all the poking I'm giving them with a stick?..

PS- have you ever thought of applying to be a moderator at an oddball religious cult forum somewhere, I'm sure you're perfectly qualified..

Old 12 Sep 17, 21:51
Private First Class
United_States

Quote:
Speaking of discomfort mate, how are your ribs doing under all the poking I'm giving them with a stick?..

PS- have you ever thought of applying to be a moderator at an oddball religious cult forum somewhere, I'm sure you're perfectly qualified..

Wow, a picture of you and some of your friends torturing caged animals!...So proud of yourself, aren't you?...You are not a navy nut, but you are a nut, that is true, and you are not cruelty free!...

Last edited by Gunnyhighway; 12 Sep 17 at 22:08..
Old 13 Sep 17, 00:53
Colonel
UK

Quote:
Wow, a picture of you and some of your friends torturing caged animals!...So proud of yourself, aren't you?...You are not a navy nut, but you are a nut, that is true, and you are not cruelty free!...
No offence mate but are you one of them there vegetarians who only eat grass and leaves?
Me, I LURV to sink my teeth into a nice juicy steak, right Bear?

"Right!"
Old 13 Sep 17, 03:47
Private First Class
United_States

Quote:
No offence mate but are you one of them there vegetarians who only eat grass and leaves?
Me, I LURV to sink my teeth into a nice juicy steak, right Bear?

"Right!"
There is no relation between laws regarding treatment of caged animals and human diets....

Last edited by Gunnyhighway; 13 Sep 17 at 03:57..
Old 14 Sep 17, 22:09
Colonel
UK

I briefly mentioned 'Larry Bond's Harpoon Ultimate Edition' earlier in this stunning thread, and as it currently costs a hefty 49.99 GB pounds (67 US dollars) I thought I'd better review it in more depth to see exactly what punters will get for their money-

It contains the 4 separate standalone games below.
The one on the left is 'Harpoon Commanders Ultimate Edition' and is the dear old "classic" Harpoon dating from the late 1980's, and contains a bunch of later updates and battlesets etc.
The top screenshot shows the standard play screen, split into a unit screen and and a group screen. The small animation window at bottom centre pops up to show ships launching missiles etc, or getting hit by them, but if you blink you'll miss it, and there seems to be no way to slow it down.
I've posted two more screenshots from it on the left of the screen, both from the ship display database which is first-rate and very easy on the eye as it shows sensor and weapon ranges and capabilities, and weapon arcs of fire.

The 3 games on the right that are also bundled with the package are all Harpoon 3 versions 3.6.3, 3.9.4 and Ultimate ANW 3.11.1 which all appeared in the 1990's and play smoother than the old "classic".
Personally I don't know why 363 and 394 were bundled in, because surely nobody will want to play them and will prefer playing 3.11.1 which is the latest version.
The screenshot on the right shows the standard playscreen of all 3 versions (you can change colours of everything if you like). A small gif animation (shown) pops up every time a missile or gun fires, or aircraft takes off etc, accompanied by neat sound effects.
You can download a picture database of all units like the one shown.

The big question potential buyers will be asking is "Why should I pay 50 GB pounds (67 US dollars) for a bundle of four games that are over 20 years old when I might as well pay a bit more and buy CMANO/Inferno/Chains which are less than a couple of years old?"
Good question, the answer would seem to be that the old bundle of 4 classics and H3 have been almost completely debugged over the years, whereas the younger CMANO trio have not yet been fully deloused, so take your pick!
PS- if any naval wargame experts want to comment on or correct anything I've said, please go ahead ..

Last edited by Poor Old Spike; 14 Sep 17 at 22:17..
Old 15 Sep 17, 12:28
Private First Class
United_States

Quote:
I briefly mentioned 'Larry Bond's Harpoon Ultimate Edition' earlier in this stunning thread, and as it currently costs a hefty 49.99 GB pounds (67 US dollars) I thought I'd better review it in more depth to see exactly what punters will get for their money-

It contains the 4 separate standalone games below.
The one on the left is 'Harpoon Commanders Ultimate Edition' and is the dear old "classic" Harpoon dating from the late 1980's, and contains a bunch of later updates and battlesets etc.
The top screenshot shows the standard play screen, split into a unit screen and and a group screen. The small animation window at bottom centre pops up to show ships launching missiles etc, or getting hit by them, but if you blink you'll miss it, and there seems to be no way to slow it down.
I've posted two more screenshots from it on the left of the screen, both from the ship display database which is first-rate and very easy on the eye as it shows sensor and weapon ranges and capabilities, and weapon arcs of fire.

The 3 games on the right that are also bundled with the package are all Harpoon 3 versions 3.6.3, 3.9.4 and Ultimate ANW 3.11.1 which all appeared in the 1990's and play smoother than the old "classic".
Personally I don't know why 363 and 394 were bundled in, because surely nobody will want to play them and will prefer playing 3.11.1 which is the latest version.
The screenshot on the right shows the standard playscreen of all 3 versions (you can change colours of everything if you like). A small gif animation (shown) pops up every time a missile or gun fires, or aircraft takes off etc, accompanied by neat sound effects.
You can download a picture database of all units like the one shown.

The big question potential buyers will be asking is "Why should I pay 50 GB pounds (67 US dollars) for a bundle of four games that are over 20 years old when I might as well pay a bit more and buy CMANO/Inferno/Chains which are less than a couple of years old?"
Good question, the answer would seem to be that the old bundle of 4 classics and H3 have been almost completely debugged over the years, whereas the younger CMANO trio have not yet been fully deloused, so take your pick!
PS- if any naval wargame experts want to comment on or correct anything I've said, please go ahead ..
The mere fact that this game has been around for so long and sells today for that price is a testament to the quality and the reliability of the product. Besides there is an extraordinary permanent technical and tactical support, plus a constant actualization insured by Herman.
That is a first grade game.
But there is more to it than just more time on the market so the developers had more time to iron out the bug when CMANO just did not have that time yet. Harpoon was created by a US NAVY COMMISSIONED OFFICER Larry Bond, which created first a board game called "Harpoon". That game is still played today by wargamers. Then that perfect game was translated into a PC game. The system of the board game was translated as much as possible into the game. Keep in mind that people playing the board game at the time were not children wanting to blow some **** up as most computer gamers are today. So, the basis of that game is something very serious, very tactical, very realistic. Any game trying to copy or emulate Harpoon that don't have such a strong basis will not fair very well or very far. It is not about bugs, it is about conception by specialists. A geek who does not have a real life tactical naval experience can't copy a realistic tactical naval game successfully. The fondations and motivations are are just not the same.
You can only compare an orange to another orange. A lemon does not bear a comparison, as much as a lemon can not imitate an orange. It is just a lemon.

To give only one example of the quality of the board game, is that Tom Clancy used the board game Harpoon to write the "Hunt for Red October" and the Harpoon system for "Red Storm Rising". Larry Bond shares copyrights of "Red Storm Rising".

After all, an orange is really an orange and a lemon will always be just a lemon...Even when a lemon dreams of being an orange!!!

Last edited by Gunnyhighway; 15 Sep 17 at 21:16..
Old 15 Sep 17, 19:34
Brigadier General
Canada

Quote:
To give only one example of the quality of the board game, is that Tom Clancy used the board game Harpoon to write the "Hunt for Red October" and the Harpoon system for "Red Storm Rising". Larry Bond owns 1/2 of the copyrights of "Red Storm Rising".
I do not believe Mr. Bond owns 1/2 the copyright for RSR. Mr. Clancy acknowledged his valuable contribution, but I do not think that any detail regarding ownership was ever publicly revealed. Those who wish to contact Larry Bond can find him on Facebook and I have been told by others that he answers his mail.

https://www.facebook.com/larry.bond.7?ref=br_rs

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it
4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

FAQ http://www.harplonkhq.com/Harpoon/Fr...dQuestions.htm
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!