StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Real Time Strategy Games

Notices and Announcements

Real Time Strategy Games Discussion of all strategy games that use a Real-Time system, from the typical RTS games to the hardcore wargames.

Old 03 Sep 17, 10:06
Brigadier General
Canada
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Herman Hum has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Old Spike View Post
Nice vid Herman, are you HarPlonked?
Does WITPAM have a mission builder where we can build neat small-scale fictitious scens, or can we only play big scenarios?
No, HarPlonked is the owner of the HarPlonkHQ site. He just allows me to post videos and messages on his board and channel.

AE has a pretty detailed editor, but I am not very knowledgeable with it. A few smaller scenarios have been built by players. One of the developers posted instructions on how to modify the AI scripts, but not a single player has ever posted new scripts. Personally, I think that they find the task too onerous or complicated. If you are looking for an editor that allows for a high level of control such as DW, I do not think that AE allows for it.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it
4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

FAQ http://www.harplonkhq.com/Harpoon/Fr...dQuestions.htm
Old 03 Sep 17, 12:25
Private First Class
United_States

Gunnyhighway is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Check your monitor display settings mate, you seem to have missed this line on the ladder rankings- "1st- PoorOldSpike"..
It's a "body count" ladder, and the 'All Time points' column indicates that I've done more wholesale slaughtering than anybody else.
"I am become Death, shatterer of worlds"- Bhagavad-Gita

As for me being 'Mr.Braggart', you could say the same thing about Monty or Patton or Trump, but remember they're all WINNERS..
Shrinking violets don't last long on the battlefield, for example when I play opponents they sometimes say "You should win this easily, I always seem to have bad luck", so I tell them- "Don't rely on Lady Luck, MAKE YOUR OWN LUCK! Remember, a bullet or shell still flies at a zillion feet per second regardless of whether a newcomer or old hand pulls the trigger, so that makes you just as bloody dangerous as anybody else!"

"Luck has a peculiar habit of favoring those who don't depend on it" - Anon
"Luck is believing you're lucky" - Tennessee Williams
"I deserved my good luck" - Margaret Thatcher

PS- Let's see if your monitor has better luck displaying this picture of the 6" hallowed trophy I won for topping another ladder (Rugged Defense), I keep it on my coffee table carefully positioned to catch the rays of the sun so that guests will be dazzled by it when they arrive, and I can keep steering the conversation towards it..

You have already showed us that picture in Subsim.com with identical caption attached. That was in 2003, you were 46 years old, and you are proud to shove that pic in people's face when you feel that you are not recognized as a tactical master!...

To vanquish without perils, you triumph without glory!

You might be dreaming of being a Monty, a Patton, a Rommel, a Nelson, a Napoleon, etc... but you are not. So don't brag like them, you did not do what they did, you are just dreaming that you did!...lol!...You are just a mouse clicker, crying about being overwhelmed tactically by an AI and you only have a 50% rate of winning battles against human opponents . For that shear volume of battle delivered, the % don't lie, you tactical skills are only good one out of two. Those tactical skills are as reliable as flipping a coin!

There are much better armchair generals with much more impressive tactical skills!...Who don't brag!

Last edited by Gunnyhighway; 03 Sep 17 at 12:57..
Old 03 Sep 17, 12:36
Private First Class
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Hum View Post
There is certainly something to be said for the old-style of computer games that actually tried to test them because the developers knew that there could be no changes once they were shipped.

Alas, the internet has been both a blessing and curse in regards to patches. Lazy and incompetent developers, along with their complicit publishers, have used it as a crutch to push out bug-infested titles like MNO. Even after 12 'patches', the game runs as badly as ever. The standard MNO excuse is, "we'll fix it in the NEXT patch." They should adopt it as the corporate motto.
:t humup:
Old 03 Sep 17, 12:51
Lieutenant Colonel
UK

Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyhighway View Post
..and you are proud to shove that pic in people's face when you feel that you are not recognized as a tactical master!...
But mate, the feedback I get from wargamers indicates that they think I'm sensational, look..

Geordie-"As a player PoorOldSpike is top notch and his file return rate is amongst the best I have encountered..his tactics work"
RocketMan- "PoorOldSpike is great guy to learn tank tactics from with unsurpassed file return times (it is like he is an AI or something with him returning files any time of the night or day).."
MrBadExample- "PoorOldSpike is excellent player, good guy and gets turns out quickly! Highly reccomended .."
Enigma- "PoorOldSpike is great tactician, superb return rate and some really wonderful comments with them too. Well worth playing! Also a great teacher in helping you improve your own gameplay and a really good playtester.."
Fredrock- "PoorOldSpike is interesting Tactician, good player, really great Banter,got to give him a try.."
British Tommy- "PoorOldSpike is a very good tactical player, well worth playing against.."
Von Schwendemann- "POS is excellent player with an outstanding return rate. If you haven't played him you are missing out. Have fun.."
Neubaufahrzeug- "Played twice in mirror mode against POS and he is a fair, competent and fast player. CM is living with such guys - letīs go on.."
Koen- "PoorOldSpike I must admit that you're crazy and something's totally wrong with you but you're honest and straight to the point.."
Mad Russian- "To give PoorOldSpike his due, he does good CM support..Every single time POS and I have played each other he is a grand opponent. His return rate is better than ANYBODY's!!!"
Hirr Leto- "PoorOldSpike is deranged, crazy and full of fight. POS will bring it like no other... tactically sound player and yes, 'very' dangerous with armour.”
Lord Bane quote- "I have been playing the game for many years but have learned quite a bit about the game by reading your fantastic tactical posts."
The Coil- "PoorOldSpike is great when you want to understand the mechanics of the game"
Wardog- "PoorOldSpike you are a tough little f*cker to play against"

PS Gunnyhighway, what games do you play? I can teach you how to kill if you like, then sit back watching you race up the ladders and proudly thinking "That's my boy, you're a soldier now"..

Old 03 Sep 17, 13:20
Private First Class
United_States

I served my country, I don't need lesson from you, I was trained by the best. But, thank you for offering!

Now that we have defined that your tactical skills are a flipping coin, I will show you how you failed to apply in real life what you should have learned from those games.

Each time I denied the recognition of your so advanced tactical skills, you came back as predicted, to counter my views with the regularity of a Swiss clock. If that would have been a real battlefield, then you would have been drawn each time, into a narcissistic trap, to your demise. Your behaviors on that level, are at a rate of 100% similar response, which is much more reliable that a mere 50% tactical skills.

People are tactical or not. One is not tactical only in games, one is tactical in every single behavior because that's the only thing one knows and that is part of who one is. One is not tactical once in a while, one is tactical ALL the times, like Monty, Patton, etc...A tactical one, does not fall with a 100%response regularity into a narcissistic trap.

I should have taken bets....

Good day to you sir! And thank you for playing!

Last edited by Gunnyhighway; 03 Sep 17 at 19:22..
Old 04 Sep 17, 06:41
Lieutenant Colonel
UK

Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
I served my country, I don't need lesson from you, I was trained by the best. But, thank you for offering!
Each time I denied the recognition of your so advanced tactical skills, you came back as predicted, to counter my views with the regularity of a Swiss clock..
That's okay mate, you were quite right to ask to see my stunning credentials, so I was glad to clue you in..
Same thing happened some years ago in the Battlefront forum where I used to post tutorials, some snot-nosed kids kept saying- "Who are you? Who do you think you are, coming here to try to tell us how to play?", to which I replied "I'm the Rugged Defense ladder champion", and they backed down red-faced..
I later went on to become a moderator at various forums such as the FGM-

PS- Congratulations on "serving your country", I almost joined the Brit Army myself as a teenager, I sent off for a recruiting brochure but changed my mind because I knew I'd never be able to take orders unless I agreed with them, and also wouldn't be able to fight in wars I didn't believe in.
Got a shock a couple of weeks later when a 'Sgt Butterfield' came knocking my door on a follow-up courtesy call in full dress uniform, stripes and all, but I never answered the door and dived behind the settee til he'd gone.
Later I ripped out the enlistment form from the back of the brochure and filled it in with the name and address of a kid down the road who nobody liked, and posted that off to the recruiting office, dunno if they ever came for him or what..
Old 04 Sep 17, 07:01
Lieutenant Colonel
UK

Quote:
No, HarPlonked is the owner of the HarPlonkHQ site. He just allows me to post videos and messages on his board and channel.
AE has a pretty detailed editor, but I am not very knowledgeable with it. A few smaller scenarios have been built by players. One of the developers posted instructions on how to modify the AI scripts, but not a single player has ever posted new scripts. Personally, I think that they find the task too onerous or complicated. If you are looking for an editor that allows for a high level of control such as DW, I do not think that AE allows for it.
Thanks Herman, I'm thinking of buying "Larry Bond's Harpoon Ultimate Edition" instead, it costs a hefty 49.99 GB pounds (64 US dollars) but what the hell it's only money..

Last edited by Poor Old Spike; 04 Sep 17 at 07:08..
Old 04 Sep 17, 09:19
Brigadier General
Canada

Quote:
Thanks Herman, I'm thinking of buying "Larry Bond's Harpoon Ultimate Edition" instead, it costs a hefty 49.99 GB pounds (64 US dollars) but what the hell it's only money..
If you like, I can try to find someone who might still have a $25 discount coupon for Harpoon. At Christmas, it usually goes on sale for about $30. This way, you can buy it for only $5. I know this works because I helped someone else buy it two years ago.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Old 04 Sep 17, 11:00
Private First Class
United_States

Quote:
BTW, I did not ask to see your credentials, I was not interested. Your ego volunteered to impose them upon the readers of your posts!

Now, since you were roped like a dope, I could give you my copy ...Just for the pleasure of reading your crying posts about being overwhelmed....but nooope!...I keep it!...lol!... I actually have Larry Bond Harpoon commander's edition, Harpoon Ultimate edition and Harpoon Advanced Naval Warfare, and great manuals that you won't HAVE TO READ because Herman have distilled them for your pleasure in tutorial vids. All you'll have to do is sit down in front of the TV, sip a cup of tea, relax and enjoy!...If the scope of Harpoon is too wide, hence generating nightmares and cold sweat, may I suggest the USS Ticonderoga?....Better than a DW Frigate, with graphics better than AEGIS and no manual or vid attached!.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BroccolIi.jpg (232.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg BroccolIio.jpg (270.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Ticonderoga.jpg (340.2 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by Gunnyhighway; 04 Sep 17 at 12:23..
Old 04 Sep 17, 12:18
Private First Class
United_States

Quote:
If you like, I can try to find someone who might still have a $25 discount coupon for Harpoon. At Christmas, it usually goes on sale for about $30. This way, you can buy it for only $5. I know this works because I helped someone else buy it two years ago.
That is always better than to buy it directly from Matrix aka Slitherine.
Sponsored Links

Old 04 Sep 17, 13:00
Lieutenant Colonel
UK

Quote:
Nice idea mate but first I want to see if I can get a free copy of Harpoon UE from Matrix, I used to be on their Press Reviewers List and they sent me a couple of dozen free games over the years to review. Dunno if I'm still on their list, but I've just requested a review copy anyway and will see what happens..
Old 04 Sep 17, 13:13
Lieutenant Colonel
UK

Quote:
.If the scope of Harpoon is too wide, hence generating nightmares and cold sweat, may I suggest the USS Ticonderoga?....Better than a DW Frigate, with graphics better than AEGIS and no manual or vid attached!.......
Thanks mate I'll look at a few youtube vids of the USS Ticonderoga game..
Old 04 Sep 17, 13:34
Private First Class
United_States

Quote:
Thanks mate I'll look at a few youtube vids of the USS Ticonderoga game..
They are promotional vids, not training vids ;-)
Old 04 Sep 17, 14:25
Private First Class
United_States

Quote:
I was asked to record a Let's Play series for the Grand Campaign scenario of War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition. It is currently on turn #700, or so.

The true shame is that FPC was actually able to capture lightning in a bottle, even if only for a few years. They had a game that was fun, easy to learn, and relatively bug-free. The developers, On Target Simulations, actually had to work in order to run the game down to its current dismal state.

Conversely, there are games like Modern Naval Operations that released in a dismal Alpha-state and never really improved much beyond that point, even after 12 'patches'. I think it is more than coincidence that both MNO and FPC are published by Matrix Games.
The thing is Herman, I don't want to give money to Matrix/Slytherin, so I won't get into that game. They can always ask the CMANO crew to buy me the game, because since Matrix supports CMANO, I don't support Matrix/Slytherin back.

Last edited by Gunnyhighway; 04 Sep 17 at 15:59..
Old 05 Sep 17, 15:04
Brigadier General
Canada

Quote:
I don't want to give money to Matrix/Slytherin, so I won't get into that game. They can always ask the CMANO crew to buy me the game, because since Matrix supports CMANO, I don't support Matrix/Slytherin back.
You are far from the first victim to refuse ever giving another cent to Matrix Games after they were screwed over by MNO. I have seen that message posted more times than I care to remember.

Even if Matrix is clueless as to how toxic MNO is and how badly it is poisoning the entire pool of potential wargame customers towards Matrix and all of its associated developers, other developers are not so obtuse. Panther Games left Matrix for new publisher Lock'n Load as soon as their contract ended with Matrix. It is a shame that good developers such as those for AE suffer from the shoddiness and unprofessionalism of MNO and Matrix.

Everything MNO touches turns to faeces.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!