StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Weapons of War > Naval Warfare

Notices and Announcements

Naval Warfare A place to discuss all things Naval!

Old 01 Oct 17, 02:51
General of the Forums
South_Africa
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

andrewza has a spectacular aura about [400]
andrewza has a spectacular aura about [400]
this navy cammo is stupid. In south Africa if the navy needs to wear cammo it just wears the cammo the army uses. It issued to on a need to have bases. Then again we dont have the inter serves rivalry that like that of america where every branch needs there own cammo.

CPO Mzinyati
Old 04 Oct 17, 10:13
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
This makes more sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkava188 View Post
I think a digital version of the naval Disruptive pattern should be considered or a digital multicam for the U.S. Navy shipboard crews.
No lie.

~
"Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
-2 Commando Jumpmaster
Old 04 Oct 17, 13:14
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Jose50 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Jose50 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Jose50 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Jose50 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Jose50 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Jose50 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Jose50 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Jose50 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Jose50 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Jose50 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Jose50 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Jose50 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Jose50 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Jose50 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
The Navy would be better off going back to Blue Bellbottoms for Enlisted Men and Khaki for the Officers. If they want BDU's on a ship they can include a Marine Detachment.

Pruitt
Well, coming from an old navy squid, the bell-bottom dungarees and blue chambray shirt were pretty damn comfortable to wear aboard ship; and that was doing any number of tasks. After the first few washings they were still a bit stiff but the third or fourth time through the ship's laundry they softened up like an old flannel shirt. A web belt, boondockers and either a white hat or a baseball cap finished it off. In cool weather the old iconic bluejacket was the item everybody wore and we even got to 'personalize' it with white and black laundry markers.
I saw a couple of PO1 recruiters at the HS where I work the other day and from their uniforms I thought that they were marines from a distance. What happened to dress/undress blues?
Used to be that one could tell soldiers from sailors and airmen from marines but not so much any more.
Old 06 Oct 17, 12:43
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101combatvet View Post
This makes more sense.

You could have spared us a picture of your kit landlubber. What will you us next? Your Boy Scout uniform?

Initiated Chief Petty Officer
Hard core! Old School! Deal with it!
Old 07 Oct 17, 19:30
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
But it was okay for your hero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass_Man86 View Post
You could have spared us a picture of your kit landlubber. What will you us next? Your Boy Scout uniform?
No lie.

~
-2 Commando Jumpmaster
Old 08 Oct 17, 05:26
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]  [+1]
Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass_Man86 View Post
The Scout Law

A Scout is:

Trustworthy,
Loyal,
Helpful,
Friendly,
Courteous,
Kind,
Obedient,
Cheerful,
Thrifty,
Brave,
Clean,
and Reverent.

Cannot hack it.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

'half-baked, spurious nationalism'
Old 08 Oct 17, 15:55
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Mountain Man has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Pint John View Post
The Scout Law

A Scout is:

Trustworthy,
Loyal,
Helpful,
Friendly,
Courteous,
Kind,
Obedient,
Cheerful,
Thrifty,
Brave,
Clean,
and Reverent.

Cannot hack it.
Which has WHAT to do with how the Navy dresses?
Old 09 Oct 17, 08:52
General of the Forums
United_States

Sorry to hear that. Yeah, may have been too much for you, don't let it get you down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Pint John View Post
The Scout Law

A Scout is:

Trustworthy,
Loyal,
Helpful,
Friendly,
Courteous,
Kind,
Obedient,
Cheerful,
Thrifty,
Brave,
Clean,
and Reverent.

Cannot hack it.
No lie.

~
-2 Commando Jumpmaster
Old 09 Oct 17, 17:16
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Mountain Man has disabled reputation
Simple answer: A lot of pressure n Congress for a separate set of cammie jammies for the Navy, with the factory where it's made being the Pork Prize.

In addition, due to precedent and inter-service rivalry, no one wants to share with another service.

However, since the Navy is most likely to encounter the enemy while serving aboard a US warship, they don't need to be camouflaged - either the ship is visible and a target or it -
and they - are not.

SEALS, BTW, wear black for night or sand for daytime, so they don't factor in.
Old 09 Oct 17, 18:33
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Or MARPAT of the appropriate variety, or the 1980s camo schemes, when they want to wear camo.

When it comes down to it, if you told me I was going to be on a ship being attacked by a number of suicide boats, and gave me the option:

Fletcher-Class circa mid-45

Flight III Burke circa Today

I'd pick the Fletcher. Despite being smaller and less capable, I know that the crew knows how to fight their ship, and how to keep her afloat despite catastrophic damage.

Old 09 Oct 17, 19:19
Private First Class
Australia
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Echidna is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkava188 View Post
What the U.S. Navy should've done was develop as digital version of the Royal Austrailian Navy's DPN pattern and leave the woodland and desert patterns for shore based units, Seabees and special warfare units.
Should they also follow our lead and add the reflective strips to the uniform?

The experts that decided our navy needed cams for general on-board duty subsequently determined that a sailor in cams couldn't be spotted in the ocean if he went overboard. The reflective strips were added as a result.
Old 09 Oct 17, 19:25
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacCovert4 View Post
When it comes down to it, if you told me I was going to be on a ship being attacked by a number of suicide boats, and gave me the option:

Fletcher-Class circa mid-45

Flight III Burke circa Today

I'd pick the Fletcher. Despite being smaller and less capable, I know that the crew knows how to fight their ship, and how to keep her afloat despite catastrophic damage.
I don't know about the Fletcher being less capable. By mid 1945, they were festooned with twin Bofors and a bunch of 20mm. Look how well they did against much faster Japanese suicide planes moving in 3 dimensions. A suicide boat would be child's play for them.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!