StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > World War II

Notices and Announcements

World War II Discuss WW2. .

Old 28 Aug 17, 01:29
Regimental Sergeant Major of the Forums
Australia
Distinguished Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
But the drink is better there.
Ah yes, did not do my training up there, I missed out. lcm1

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"
Old 28 Aug 17, 07:59
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcm1 View Post
Ah yes, did not do my training up there, I missed out. lcm1
Got a 30 year old MacCallan for my birthday this year.
Old 28 Aug 17, 23:21
Australia
Distinguished Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:
Got a 30 year old MacCallan for my birthday this year.
Makes my mouth water just thinking about it!! Is it possible to email a 'shot'? lcm1

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"
Old 29 Aug 17, 10:56
ACG Forums - General Staff
Canada
Distinguished Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

CarpeDiem has earned the respect of all [900] CarpeDiem has earned the respect of all [900]
CarpeDiem has earned the respect of all [900] CarpeDiem has earned the respect of all [900] CarpeDiem has earned the respect of all [900] CarpeDiem has earned the respect of all [900] CarpeDiem has earned the respect of all [900] CarpeDiem has earned the respect of all [900]
Dug up my copy of this book:

to see if he talked about seasickness and he does discuss it on pp 74-5 including the following:
Quote:
A study showed that seasickness was worst in an LCA after thirty-five to forty-five minutes in rough seas. There was little sickness during the first fifteen minutes, and few new cases after ninety minutes. But the average voyage from the lowering point seven miles offshore took at least one hour, and probably rather more allowing for time forming up and delays in rough seas. This was precisely the time in which men would be at their worst.
He then quotes a Canadian soldier from the Normandy landings who stated: "We were so sick that we preferred to be shot on the beaches rather than go back on those landing craft".

As a side note he also discusses the change over from RN crews to RM crews, a change he notes was a resounding success. He feels part of this may have been that the Royal Marines had better relations with the Army because they had a greater understanding of land combat and its requirements than their RN counterparts. He also quotes an interesting observation from a beachmaster at Nan White Juno beach who stated that Royal Marine crews 'had a tendency to wander inshore" out of curiosity as to how the fighting ashore was going [Lavery p 39]. This is the only, rather minor, criticism he mentions among a collection of praise for the performance of the Royal Marines.
Old 29 Aug 17, 11:05
ACG Forums - Africanus Majoris
Netherlands
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign 

Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpeDiem View Post
He then quotes a Canadian soldier from the Normandy landings who stated: "We were so sick that we preferred to be shot on the beaches rather than go back on those landing craft".
Gorgeous research CD

From what I remember from being seasick myself, 27 years ago,
you feel that indeed anything is preferable over going back on a boat.

I can imagine that nobody likes to confess to being seasick during an epic event like D-Day,
but it could have been an overlooked aspect of the landings.

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.
Old 29 Aug 17, 11:11
General of the Forums
United_States

OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
Makes my mouth water just thinking about it!! Is it possible to email a 'shot'? lcm1
I can help you cry a little?

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskie...-whisky/?srh=1
Old 30 Aug 17, 04:24
Australia

Quote:
No thanks, I will just sit and drink that cheap old stuff I have got in the cupboard and pretend! lcm1

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"
Old 30 Aug 17, 04:29
Australia

Quote:
Dug up my copy of this book:

to see if he talked about seasickness and he does discuss it on pp 74-5 including the following:

As a side note he also discusses the change over from RN crews to RM crews, a change he notes was a resounding success. He feels part of this may have been that the Royal Marines had better relations with the Army because they had a greater understanding of land combat and its requirements than their RN counterparts. He also quotes an interesting observation from a beachmaster at Nan White Juno beach who stated that Royal Marine crews 'had a tendency to wander inshore" out of curiosity as to how the fighting ashore was going [Lavery p 39]. This is the only, rather minor, criticism he mentions among a collection of praise for the performance of the Royal Marines.
We can also be used by the army as stand in Commando's as happened to myself and the other five crewmen on my craft. lcm1.

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"
Old 30 Aug 17, 06:49
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
No thanks, I will just sit and drink that cheap old stuff I have got in the cupboard and pretend! lcm1
The Balvenie, Caribbean Cask, while not cheap, is very good.
Old 30 Aug 17, 06:49
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
We can also be used by the army as stand in Commando's as happened to myself and the other five crewmen on my craft. lcm1.
"I need three volunteers, you, you and you!"
Sponsored Links

Old 31 Aug 17, 00:14
Australia

Quote:
"I need three volunteers, you, you and you!"
Exactly right OP, House to House fighting...Yuck! Not my cup of tea at all. lcm1

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"
Old 31 Aug 17, 00:21
Australia

Quote:
The Balvenie, Caribbean Cask, while not cheap, is very good.
Thank you OP,I will make a note of that. lcm1

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"
Old 05 Sep 17, 13:08
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800]
Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
Yes, I think you've hit the nail on the head.

Carbine and Garand rifle waterproof invasion bag

Seen in use here, looking very similar to the items pictured in OP:

“Some of the first American soldiers to attack the German defenses in Higgins Boats (LCVPs) approach Omaha Beach near Normandy, France on June 6, 1944. Plastic covers protect the soldier’s weapons against from the water. (Photo by Robert F. Sargent, U.S. Coast Guard/Galerie Bilderwelt/Getty Images)” The M1 Garand was found to be sensitive to sand and salt spray in the extremely harsh USMC San Diego tests of late 1940. The plastic weapon covers used in the D-Day invasion protected the action from spray and sand ingress, greatly reducing the weapon’s chance of failure during the landings
This picture may actually be from one of the numerous training exercises on the Channel & Irish Sea coasts.

The conversation in this thread is focused on the assault waves. They would be inclined to uncover the weapons before coming under fire, In training exercises covering the weapons was be very common as no one wanted all the extra cleaning problems on rifles dunked in swirling sand and saltwater along the beach. In the USMC we did not have bags like these, but did seal up weapons & anything else sensitive for landing craft training.

Subsequent waves, landing after the beach was secured would be inclined to keep the weapons covered until feet dry. But there is not hard & fast rule in this. A lot depends on the whim of the company or platoon/section commander.
Old 05 Sep 17, 13:20
General of the Forums
United_States

Makes sense.

Which must be against some forum rule or other.
Old 05 Sep 17, 13:25
ACG Forums - General Staff
Canada
Distinguished Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

CarpeDiem has earned the respect of all [900] CarpeDiem has earned the respect of all [900]
CarpeDiem has earned the respect of all [900] CarpeDiem has earned the respect of all [900] CarpeDiem has earned the respect of all [900] CarpeDiem has earned the respect of all [900] CarpeDiem has earned the respect of all [900] CarpeDiem has earned the respect of all [900]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Schwamberg View Post
This picture may actually be from one of the numerous training exercises on the Channel & Irish Sea coasts.
It's actually taken by the same man who photographed the picture in the original OP and features the same landing craft and troops. It was colourized later. (I used the colourized picture because the bags stood out better.)
The photographer is Robert F. Sargent from the USCG and both pictures are part of a series of images he shot on D-day including Into the Jaws of Death, the OP image.

More on Sargent and his D-day images here:
Into the jaws of death: U.S. Coast Guard-manned landing craft at Normandy

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!