StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > World War II

Notices and Announcements

World War II Discuss WW2. .

Old 21 Aug 17, 08:50
General of the Forums
Belgium
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.N. Armstrong View Post
If I was on that landing craft, I would have to barf, and I would not think twice to pull that plastic off the rifle to keep from spewing on other soldiers or have my puke slosh around in the water on the boat bottom.
Seems to me at a time like that it would be the least of my worries, I'd barf and puke all over the place and then dismount shooting straight through the plastic cover, cursing and shouting all the way to the first bivouac.

Captain Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Co.
Old 21 Aug 17, 09:04
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Yeah, or **** your pants on the way in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowygerry View Post
Seems to me at a time like that it would be the least of my worries, I'd barf and puke all over the place and then dismount shooting straight through the plastic cover, cursing and shouting all the way to the first bivouac.
No lie.

~
"Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
-2 Commando Jumpmaster
Old 21 Aug 17, 09:09
General of the Forums
Belgium
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
That too yes, suffice it to say a barf bag would be, eh.... superfluous.

Captain Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Co.
Old 21 Aug 17, 09:39
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
I have the 29th division history, I'll have to pull it off the shelve and look at it again. I'll be back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcm1 View Post
Well 101, I do quite believe that, for it was a well known fact, which I believe did not get too much publicity, that on that particular beach, because of the reception that the approaching landing craft were getting from the Germans that many of the L/Craft crews were extremely reluctant to go right into the Beach and were dropping their ramps far too soon whilst there was water still under the craft where as there should have been sand. I speak as a landing craft crew member on Sword Beach whilst it was still quite 'Wild and Woolly' our job, irrespective of the enemy fire was, do not drop the ramp until you felt sand under the keel. And that is what we did amidst mortar and machine gun fire. Not boasting just telling you why many of them got wet and many drowned, the crews of the landing craft did not do their jobs!! lcm1
No lie.

~
-2 Commando Jumpmaster
Old 21 Aug 17, 10:00
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
Gets expensive to run battalions around in landing crafts against stormy beaches. And how many trips do you think a person who is prone to motion sickness becomes inoculated.
Yep, but that's how you get your sea legs. Dramine makes a lot of people sleepy, not a good idea when you're touring the beaches of France.

As for time to get used to it, depends. I was sick the first time out and never again.

The thinking back then was "it's a short trip" (unless you're the one in the boat) and they can recover quickly when they get ashore. (Meanwhile Jerry is waiting for the festivities to start?)
Old 21 Aug 17, 10:09
General of the Forums
United_States

Part of the other problem was the last meal that they served these guys. All the stuff that tastes good in one large heap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
Yep, but that's how you get your sea legs. Dramine makes a lot of people sleepy, not a good idea when you're touring the beaches of France.

As for time to get used to it, depends. I was sick the first time out and never again.

The thinking back then was "it's a short trip" (unless you're the one in the boat) and they can recover quickly when they get ashore. (Meanwhile Jerry is waiting for the festivities to start?)
No lie.

~
-2 Commando Jumpmaster
Old 21 Aug 17, 11:34
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101combatvet View Post
Part of the other problem was the last meal that they served these guys. All the stuff that tastes good in one large heap.
We called the first day out "Pork Chop Day."
Old 21 Aug 17, 13:20
ACG Author
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowygerry View Post
You won't be popular barfing on your team mates, and you won't live it down.
Old 21 Aug 17, 13:22
ACG Author
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
Quote:
. Dramine makes a lot of people sleepy, not a good idea when you're touring the beaches of France.
Agree with that
Old 21 Aug 17, 23:22
Captain
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

NoPref has demonstrated strength of character [100] NoPref has demonstrated strength of character [100] NoPref has demonstrated strength of character [100] NoPref has demonstrated strength of character [100] NoPref has demonstrated strength of character [100] NoPref has demonstrated strength of character [100] NoPref has demonstrated strength of character [100] NoPref has demonstrated strength of character [100] NoPref has demonstrated strength of character [100] NoPref has demonstrated strength of character [100] NoPref has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Gets expensive to run battalions around in landing crafts against stormy beaches. And how many trips do you think a person who is prone to motion sickness becomes inoculated.
Every American and Canadian soldier arrived in England on some sort of troopship. Even if they had a smooth trip, the ones most prone to seasickness would have shown some sign of it. Gives the senior sergeants an idea of who will be the worst cases.

There was a lot of amphibious training leading up to D-Day. I presume that everyone in the first few waves had at least one go at it during this training. This is where individuals learn what to expect from their bodies so they won't be surprised by it on D-Day.

None of the above is going to inoculate many of them. Those who merely get queasy might get over it after one exercise. A few who get sick might drop down to queasiness.

Going back 150-200 years, I recall reading that it took a couple of weeks at sea to acclimate the worst cases on a sailing ship.
Sponsored Links

Old 22 Aug 17, 07:44
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

A troop ship and a flat bottomed dingy are two very different rides. During a Peleliu tiger cruise from Hawaii to Long Beach I met a gentleman was very woozy. I took him on deck and showed him the LSTs traveling with us. They were doing their usual corkscrews when the aircraft carrier-sized LHA was seemingly steady as a rock. He felt better immediately.
Old 22 Aug 17, 08:15
General of the Forums
United_States

BIG difference between being a passager on a large troop ship and an infantryman on a small landing craft with choppy seas getting shot at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPref View Post
Every American and Canadian soldier arrived in England on some sort of troopship. Even if they had a smooth trip, the ones most prone to seasickness would have shown some sign of it. Gives the senior sergeants an idea of who will be the worst cases.

There was a lot of amphibious training leading up to D-Day. I presume that everyone in the first few waves had at least one go at it during this training. This is where individuals learn what to expect from their bodies so they won't be surprised by it on D-Day.

None of the above is going to inoculate many of them. Those who merely get queasy might get over it after one exercise. A few who get sick might drop down to queasiness.

Going back 150-200 years, I recall reading that it took a couple of weeks at sea to acclimate the worst cases on a sailing ship.
No lie.

~
-2 Commando Jumpmaster
Old 22 Aug 17, 22:14
Regimental Sergeant Major of the Forums
Australia
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:
A troop ship and a flat bottomed dingy are two very different rides. During a Peleliu tiger cruise from Hawaii to Long Beach I met a gentleman was very woozy. I took him on deck and showed him the LSTs traveling with us. They were doing their usual corkscrews when the aircraft carrier-sized LHA was seemingly steady as a rock. He felt better immediately.
And LSTs were ships compared to LCMs and LCAs just imagine!?! even the blokes that worked them and in many cases loved them had no hesitation in calling them 'Flat bottomed Bastards! lcm1

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"
Old 22 Aug 17, 22:36
Regimental Sergeant Major of the Forums
Australia
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:

Hi OP, yes I remember going to breakfast on the carrier ship and you could have practically anything you wanted, some of it pretty greasy ( don't remember what I had) and as we were part of the first waves in, the skipper of the carrier ship had ordered a small bottle of rum, like a small hip flask to any man that wanted it. Most of us took it even the non drinkers. Many of the men we were taking in were so sea sick they could not drink rum and gave them to us. lcm1

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"
Old 22 Aug 17, 23:01
Captain
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

NoPref has demonstrated strength of character [100] NoPref has demonstrated strength of character [100] NoPref has demonstrated strength of character [100] NoPref has demonstrated strength of character [100] NoPref has demonstrated strength of character [100] NoPref has demonstrated strength of character [100] NoPref has demonstrated strength of character [100] NoPref has demonstrated strength of character [100] NoPref has demonstrated strength of character [100] NoPref has demonstrated strength of character [100] NoPref has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101combatvet View Post
BIG difference between being a passager on a large troop ship and an infantryman on a small landing craft with choppy seas getting shot at.
Indeed, but my point was that anyone who got seasick on the troopship was going to be nearly incapacitated on a small landing craft. Best to place them where they have at least one direction where they can get sick without hitting someone else.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!