StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Modern Wars & Warfare

Notices and Announcements

Modern Wars & Warfare General discussion on war. Topics that are not covered in any of our sub-forums below. .

Old 23 Jul 17, 19:28
Major General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300]
Lions led by a lamb

I thought this was a good article and warranted, even though its taboo to speak ill of your command in any official capacity in the military. It's sad that toxic leadership can even command the most elite units in the Army and that nothing can be done about it but suck it up and hope the next one is better. Waiting gets people killed, especially in a high op tempo unit like SF. There is no place for a dog and pony show in SF. I hate how the Army promotes this competition for credentials just so it looks good on an OER or promotion board. "Oh, this guy commanded so and so, he must know what he's doing... bla bla bla." What did he accomplish and how did his peers and subordinates think of him is whats more important.

Lions led by a lamb, an open letter on 5th Special Forces Group leadership
https://sofrep.com/65778/lions-led-l...-forces-group/

Quote:
Editors note: the following open letter was penned by a current member of 5th Special Forces Group who wanted to speak out against the current toxic command climate that exists in his unit.
Our last Commander cultivated and encouraged an environment that empowered SF Soldiers and leaders to “do what they feel is right,” not micromanage soldiers, and to get the job done while not forgetting that we are a combat focused unit.
The real embarrassments came while he was, and is currently, in charge of operations abroad. Multiple decisions, actions, and leadership failures happened that would have gotten any other officer fired, but if you are the son of a US Senator this will obviously not happen and will only be brushed under the rug. While deployed it was so bad that JSOC stated they did not want to work with 5th Group any more. They asked for anyone but the Legion. Other SF Groups or even SEALS or MARSOC who are doctrinally not designed to handle the mission set at hand. They down right didn’t respect him and neither did his soldiers to include officers and NCOs. The reason for this is his inability to comprehend the mission set. It was evident from the start that he could not grasp the situation in the fight against ISIS and they viewed it as a lost cause to attempt to work through it. A few months ago the Deputy Commander quit citing that he will not work for someone like this. If the person closest to him in the organization says this, then it must be bad. The actions that led to this include multiple incidents.

One was the arming of rebels with suppressed Glock pistols. He envisioned his own personal hit squad that would conduct assassinations much like those in WWII. What he got was rebels who killed their neighbors instead and no accountability over them or the pistols, which are gone forever. He staged photos of the rebels ready to conduct airborne operations and rebels with suppressed American rifles, which accomplished nothing. If this is going to be done, then action needs to follow the threat. It was transparent to ISIS that this was not real and only delegitimized the mission in the eyes of the enemy. At its most base form, it made us look stupid. While these tactics may have worked in another war like was employed by the OSS, it is not applicable with the partner forces we have or the countries like Russia who are in the mix On top of all this he lost a hard drive that was classified to level of Secret. Did not secure it properly and it magically vanished off a table. Many members of the military have been fired for less, such as Major Jim Gant.
Naturally though, no punishment was issued. Word of investigations have been floating around for a while, but nothing has come of it. In addition to this, the relationships with the Other Governmental Agencies that they work with have been broken after the previous commander worked his tail off to build them. The feeling amongst the troops is that while we are accountable for our actions, he is not. Also, because of his actions, he has been classified as a “herbivore” or “leaf eater.” Much like the British soldiers in in Afghanistan during the early to mid 19th century, they feel as if they are lions led by a lamb.

With everything going on in the 5th Group AO (Area of Operations) you would think that fighting ISIS and conducting SF missions in one the numerous countries we are currently deployed to would be his priority. On numerous occasions he has been quoted as saying the reunion week event and security at the unit are his “number one priority.” When you are fighting 3 wars the budget for the picnic should not be too high up there. This is something that the leadership in the rear can handle, and don’t need to be micromanaged on a VTC (video tele-conference) from a war zone.

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 23 Jul 17, 20:41
Major
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99] 17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99] 17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99] 17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99] 17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99] 17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99] 17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99]
The article gives the impression that Colonel Leahy (current commander 5th SFG) had little special forces back ground.

This article about the change of command ceremony

https://www.army.mil/article/152576/...ge_of_command/

States he served as an A team leader, company commander and battalion commander with the 5th SFG. That sounds like a good special forces background.
Old 23 Jul 17, 22:18
Major
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99] 17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99] 17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99] 17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99] 17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99] 17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99] 17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99]
I tried to search and find a link showing Colonel Kevn Leahy is the son of senator Leahy.

The senator does have a son named Kevin.

I couldn't find anything saying the senator has a son who is a high ranking Army officer.

Does any one know for certain that the colonel in question is or is not the son of senator Leahy?
Old 23 Jul 17, 22:28
ACG Forums - General Staff
France
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Summer Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
A Colonel should be eligible for retirement. I don't care who his Daddy is. The Senator is Vice Chairman of the Appropriations Committee and is the most Senior member of the Senate. That can scare the Beejesus out of Pentagon bureaucrats.

Pruitt

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"
Old 24 Jul 17, 12:35
Sergeant Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

mconrad is on the path to success [1-99] mconrad is on the path to success [1-99] mconrad is on the path to success [1-99] mconrad is on the path to success [1-99] mconrad is on the path to success [1-99]
I've heard of the British in World War One being "lions led by donkeys."

Never heard of Victorian colonial British being "lions led by a lamb."
Old 24 Jul 17, 13:49
General of the Forums
UK

MarkV is simply cracking [600]
MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mconrad View Post
I've heard of the British in World War One being "lions led by donkeys."
Yes often repeated story - in fact a fabrication by the anti military historian Alan Clark in 1961 who claimed that this was a phrase used by Ludendorff but was never able to provide a verifiable source. I've heard Prof Gary Sheffield state that Clark admitted in private that he'd made it up. Nevertheless it was readily taken up by the Left such as Joan Littlewood and later the writers of Black Adder.
There were instances when German infantry officers used some thing like lions led by silly asses - a reference to the quality of some junior officers in the early years of the war - very brave but relatively untrained and inexperienced public school types - what E S Turner in Gallant Gentlemen a history of the British Officer calls the knuts. However most of the knuts had either learnt their trade or died gallantly in 1915-1916.
Old 25 Jul 17, 22:08
Major
United_States

The article says Colonel Kevin Leahy has little Special Forces back ground and is the son of a U.S. Senator.

Here is his bio.

http://www.soc.mil/USASFC/bios/leahy.pdf

From his bio he appears to have been in Special Forces since 1998.

The article says he is a U.S. Senators son. I would assume they are saying he is Senator Leahy's son.

Senator Leahy has a son named Kevin. I don't think they are the same person. Colonel Leahy's bio says he is from New Jersey. The Senator is from Vermont.

I don't know much about the 5th Special Forces Group. Who ever wrote the article made two glaring errors. What else are they wrong about?
Old 26 Jul 17, 02:43
France
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Summer Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Colonel Leahy went from the Military Police to Special Forces. Is this a normal job switch?

Pruitt

Old 26 Jul 17, 07:46
Major
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
Colonel Leahy went from the Military Police to Special Forces. Is this a normal job switch?

Pruitt
I would think an officer could come from any branch of the Army if he qualified for the program.

With the type of war we are fighting a M.P. background may be helpful.

I no nothing of Colonel Leahy's command ability.

But the article appears to have two glaring errors. So it makes me suspicious of the rest of it.
Old 26 Jul 17, 10:38
General of the Forums
UK

MarkV is simply cracking [600]
MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thfabn View Post
The article says Colonel Kevin Leahy has little Special Forces back ground and is the son of a U.S. Senator.

Here is his bio.

http://www.soc.mil/USASFC/bios/leahy.pdf

From his bio he appears to have been in Special Forces since 1998.

The article says he is a U.S. Senators son. I would assume they are saying he is Senator Leahy's son.

Senator Leahy has a son named Kevin. I don't think they are the same person. Colonel Leahy's bio says he is from New Jersey. The Senator is from Vermont.

I don't know much about the 5th Special Forces Group. Who ever wrote the article made two glaring errors. What else are they wrong about?
Don't Americans ever move around - is it not possible to be from a different state than your father was born in?
Sponsored Links

Old 26 Jul 17, 13:44
Major
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkV View Post
Don't Americans ever move around - is it not possible to be from a different state than your father was born in?
Yes Americans tend to move quite a bit. For instance Ohio's governor was was born and raised across the river in Pennsylvania.

Senator Leahy on the other hand seems to have spent most of his life in Vermont .
Old 26 Jul 17, 14:02
Sergeant Major
UK

jf42 is on the path to success [1-99] jf42 is on the path to success [1-99] jf42 is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Yes Americans tend to move quite a bit. For instance Ohio's governor was was born and raised across the river in Pennsylvania.

Senator Leahy on the other hand seems to have spent most of his life in Vermont .

That's like London, ""Oosh, south of the river? Sorry, mate."

I have read that some states are quite large.
Old 26 Jul 17, 14:04
Sergeant Major
UK

jf42 is on the path to success [1-99] jf42 is on the path to success [1-99] jf42 is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:

And the Ohio is quite broad.

I have also read that some states are quite large.
Old 26 Jul 17, 15:20
France

A lot of military long term professionals have a house bought somewhere. Maybe the Colonel was tired of Vermont winters?

Pruitt

Old 26 Jul 17, 15:34
Major
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
A lot of military long term professionals have a house bought somewhere. Maybe the Colonel was tired of Vermont winters?

Pruitt
????

I'm missing your point?

Senator Leahy is from VERMONT. His bio shows he spent most of his life in VERMONT except for law school in Georgetown (DC) and time in the Senate.

Colonel Leahy is from NEW JERSEY.

I have seen no link saying the colonel is the son of the senator.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!