StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Vietnam War

Notices and Announcements

Vietnam War The Battle for Vietnam. .

Old 22 Sep 17, 04:46
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Just know that Ken Burns would have swatted a mosquito for you before dying of heat exhaustion in Basic Training.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trung Si View Post
I guess I took two in my left leg for punishment for doing the wrong thing, I guess I deserved it.
No lie.

~
"Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
-2 Commando Jumpmaster
Old 22 Sep 17, 08:31
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
http://nypost.com/2017/09/19/missing...se-who-fought/
No lie.

~
-2 Commando Jumpmaster
Old 22 Sep 17, 09:02
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600]
jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101combatvet View Post
And there it is..............Subtle but Glaring Mr Burns..........America : corrupt,dishonest ,poor stupid soldiers and military leaders,idiots all to even think we would "help" Vietnam.

South Vietnam: corrupt,ineffective, soldiers inept and cowards.

North Vietnam: great resolve,brave fighters,steadfast politicians and dauntless civilian population.

Ho Chi Minh would be proud..............

Also..........Although a lot of western Television and movies are not allowed to be shown in Vietnam.........This is being welcomed. What does that say?

Last edited by jeffdoorgunnr; 22 Sep 17 at 09:07..
Old 22 Sep 17, 09:51
General of the Forums
France
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Hey Bug Remover, ask Burns; he initiated it as he does with all his liberal slanted views.
"Bug remover " ???
I've been compared frequently with stuff similar to animal feces , but never been called a "bug remover "..
May be a picture of your image may help.?
Old 22 Sep 17, 10:36
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebfrench76 View Post
What has politics to do with a documentary?
Unfortunately, everything. Many years ago a friend was retained to produce and direct a documentary film about "the Mexican-American experience in the Vietnam War." This work was commissioned by a Mexican-American man who had served in Viet Nam. I was subsequently asked to perform some research about the overall Mexican-American experience in Viet Nam: overall numbers, notable individuals, etc. Among the materials I forwarded were comments made by Roy Benavidez, an SF Sr NCO who was awarded the Medal of Honor for actions taken in combat. (I highly recommend that you read his MoH citation: it's jaw-dropping.) Anyways, MSgt Benavidez's comments about his experience in Viet Nam were generally positive. The views of the veterans who'd commissioned this documentary, however, were generally negative. On that basis the material about MSgt Benavidez was rejected by the filmmakers. When I questioned the producer about the omission, he said that that's what documentaries are all about: telling a story, spinning a narrative, from a particular point of view, but not necessarily from another. This doc was about one particular veteran's experiences and sentiments, not any others, hence the omissions. By making those kinds of choices, the documentary filmmakers can, in fact, can be viewed as crafting a political document as much as any other kind of document.

I'm in no position to dispute any Vietnam veteran's feelings about his experiences over there. I was not there. I did not share those experiences, so I'm completely unable to either affirm or contradict any Vietnam veteran's view of that war. I can only take them for what they're worth. I would not presume to critique or denigrate any veteran for the views he's expressed about that war. Not ever, regardless of whether my views differ or affirm any particular veteran's. Nevertheless, be under no illusion that a documentary film can be very much a political statement, and often is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmat View Post
"Mogie" ... as in Denton "Mogie" Crocker, who's story was picked up by Burns & Novick as a corner stone to their VN story, to be representative of so many idealistic American youths, who as young men joined US services to fight communism in Vietnam, was first featured in last night's episode i.e. #3. His mother, Jean-Marie, who's also featured, wrote a wonderful memoir of her son, titled "Son of the Cold War, A Personal History", which can be found in full here:

https://memory.loc.gov/diglib/vhp-st...r?ID=pm0001001

Give it a good look, I'm sure Mogie's story, and that of the Crocker family will continue tonight.
Twelve or thirteen years ago, I was in New Jersey visiting my in-laws, and as I grew tired of their company, I slipped outside for a smoke. There I spied a rather plain sedan with US Government license plates.

On a weekend it's unusual to see cars with US Gov't plates in a residential neighborhood -- unless there's good reason for it. They drove slowly, apparently looking for a particular address. They came to a stop in front of a home that I happened to know contained a young man who'd enlisted in the Airborne a couple of years earlier. Out stepped an Army chaplain and an officer. I only knew the kid in passing, but at that moment I could have died myself. I knew his mother was about to. . . . . It's one of many memories that I'd like to bleach from my brain.

Quote:
Even in a historical documentary post , the word leftist is used.
This place is gone totally nuts.
Some here have turn into fanatic rabbid dogs , just because it's trendy to be a baddass .Pitiful.
I never really got to know my father: he died when I was young. I did know, however, that he had served in Viet Nam. Subsequently, I developed a tendency of latching on to every Vietnam veteran I met, emotionally leeching off of them, as I sought out a replacement father. (There's no doubt a sh*tload of Vietnam veterans in the Greater New York area swapping tales about that weird creepy kid who used to follow them like a friggin' puppy.) Would you honestly expect me to accept any possible slander of my father or his comrades? Is that even realistic?

And yet one of the few lessons that my father taught me was to deal only in truth, never in lies. Should it be proven that the men that I admire committed criminal acts, am I to be expected to make like I never heard that?

Sorta a case of damned if I do, damned if I don't . . . .

Last edited by slick_miester; 22 Sep 17 at 11:15..
Old 22 Sep 17, 19:20
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
"Bug remover " ???
I've been compared frequently with stuff similar to animal feces , but never been called a "bug remover "..
May be a picture of your image may help.?
No lie.

~
-2 Commando Jumpmaster
Old 23 Sep 17, 00:20
First Lieutenant
United_States

GRA is on the path to success [1-99] GRA is on the path to success [1-99] GRA is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
I fully agree 100% but I kind of expected this from leftist Ken Burns.
Old 23 Sep 17, 07:54
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]  [+1]
Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRA View Post
I fully agree 100% but I kind of expected this from leftist Ken Burns.
From the link.

Quote:
Their sense of pride — so vital for national unity — is absent from the documentary. And that’s a glaring omission.
What a load of SSSHIT. There was no pride and sure as hell anything but unity. Writer is smokin some strange stuff and sniffin glue.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

'half-baked, spurious nationalism'
Old 23 Sep 17, 08:04
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I'm watching the documentary and have purchased the book. I'm not overly impressed with either, but the subject is vast and hard to encapsule in a television documentary.

Whether you agree with Burns, et al, is really immaterial. If you don't like it, don't watch it. At least Burns tried.

To be completely fair, I didn't care for the Civil War documentary, or the book, that was produced before by Burns for various reasons, one of which was the use of Shelby Foote, who by his own admission was a novelist and not an historian.

Take the documentaries for what they are, and realize at the same time what they are not.

Having had two out of three family members who went to and fought in South Vietnam, and two of the three were killed in action, I have to be careful of my own personal prejudices on the subject-I don't care for Westmoreland, Johnson, McNamara, the anti-war protestors (especially), Ho Chi Minh, the North Vietnamese, etc.

So, there you are...
To strive to seek to find and not to yield.
Old 23 Sep 17, 10:04
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
This is one reason my studies stop at the end of 1950.
Sponsored Links

Old 23 Sep 17, 11:26
Major
United_States

Mystikeye is on the path to success [1-99] Mystikeye is on the path to success [1-99] Mystikeye is on the path to success [1-99] Mystikeye is on the path to success [1-99] Mystikeye is on the path to success [1-99] Mystikeye is on the path to success [1-99] Mystikeye is on the path to success [1-99]
Well what to think so far? All I can say so far is that for one I still don't know what to truly think about Viet Nam other than, this is my opinion.
1) Nothing but respect for all whom served there of our Veterans.
2) Its history to me and always has been. I have met many Vets and just listen to them. I never judge them. I haven't earned that right. I didn't serve in the military especially in that war. To me there is neither good or bad only survival in a war for a soldier.
3)Our Viet Nam vets were treated like **** and were S**T on when they came back. Our Korean veterans were completely ignored. So which is worse, both attitudes by civilians were pretty terrible.
4) Ken Burns is left of center and his documentaries usually are too. No big deal I know that going in. I own quite a few of his documentaries and rewatch them.
5) The Viet Nam war is going to be talked about and written about while we are alive and long after we are dead. It will be presented from all angles of the political landscape as all history is and has been talked and written about.
6) To all our Vets I say, Thank You for your service and keeping our country safe for all of my lifetime so far. Cant find anything serious to bitch about and absolutely nothing that would be your fault that's for sure. Again I say, Thank You.
Old 25 Sep 17, 05:36
Second Lieutenant
United_States

Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99] Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99] Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99] Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99] Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99] Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick_miester View Post
Unfortunately, everything. Many years ago a friend was retained to produce and direct a documentary film about "the Mexican-American experience in the Vietnam War." This work was commissioned by a Mexican-American man who had served in Viet Nam. I was subsequently asked to perform some research about the overall Mexican-American experience in Viet Nam: overall numbers, notable individuals, etc. Among the materials I forwarded were comments made by Roy Benavidez, an SF Sr NCO who was awarded the Medal of Honor for actions taken in combat. (I highly recommend that you read his MoH citation: it's jaw-dropping.) Anyways, MSgt Benavidez's comments about his experience in Viet Nam were generally positive. The views of the veterans who'd commissioned this documentary, however, were generally negative. On that basis the material about MSgt Benavidez was rejected by the filmmakers. When I questioned the producer about the omission, he said that that's what documentaries are all about: telling a story, spinning a narrative, from a particular point of view, but not necessarily from another. This doc was about one particular veteran's experiences and sentiments, not any others, hence the omissions. By making those kinds of choices, the documentary filmmakers can, in fact, can be viewed as crafting a political document as much as any other kind of document.

I'm in no position to dispute any Vietnam veteran's feelings about his experiences over there. I was not there. I did not share those experiences, so I'm completely unable to either affirm or contradict any Vietnam veteran's view of that war. I can only take them for what they're worth. I would not presume to critique or denigrate any veteran for the views he's expressed about that war. Not ever, regardless of whether my views differ or affirm any particular veteran's. Nevertheless, be under no illusion that a documentary film can be very much a political statement, and often is.

Twelve or thirteen years ago, I was in New Jersey visiting my in-laws, and as I grew tired of their company, I slipped outside for a smoke. There I spied a rather plain sedan with US Government license plates.

On a weekend it's unusual to see cars with US Gov't plates in a residential neighborhood -- unless there's good reason for it. They drove slowly, apparently looking for a particular address. They came to a stop in front of a home that I happened to know contained a young man who'd enlisted in the Airborne a couple of years earlier. Out stepped an Army chaplain and an officer. I only knew the kid in passing, but at that moment I could have died myself. I knew his mother was about to. . . . . It's one of many memories that I'd like to bleach from my brain.

I never really got to know my father: he died when I was young. I did know, however, that he had served in Viet Nam. Subsequently, I developed a tendency of latching on to every Vietnam veteran I met, emotionally leeching off of them, as I sought out a replacement father. (There's no doubt a sh*tload of Vietnam veterans in the Greater New York area swapping tales about that weird creepy kid who used to follow them like a friggin' puppy.) Would you honestly expect me to accept any possible slander of my father or his comrades? Is that even realistic?

And yet one of the few lessons that my father taught me was to deal only in truth, never in lies. Should it be proven that the men that I admire committed criminal acts, am I to be expected to make like I never heard that?

Sorta a case of damned if I do, damned if I don't . . . .
Pretty good words, IMHO. Thoughtful postup.
Old 25 Sep 17, 05:59
Second Lieutenant
United_States

Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99] Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99] Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99] Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99] Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99] Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99]
Some interesting commentary, Gents. Too much to follow.

A few random remarks:
I haven't seen anything on the Aussies or the ROK troops so far in this series. Maybe I just overlooked it. I know it can't be comprehensive, of course.

All 10 episodes are available for viewing (including an Explicit Language Version of each episode, only very slightly different from the broadcast versions) on the series website, but I've watched only the first six.

Not many surprises to me, so far. Pretty much the so-called orthodox view.

Based on the first six episodes, a viewer would think that Tet '68 was about the first fight the South/US side ever won.

I see Burns and Ward got the update that Le duan, not Ho Chi Minh, ran this war. I'll bet that for the majority of regular folks and most vets (not the experts) who thought they knew a little about the subject, that was something of a surprise. Informed corrective welcome.

Nice of Burns and Ward to include a general disclaimer (Willbanks, I think) after the Tiger Force atrocities segment. I think on that score, they did justice to the issue of atrocities up close and personal, in brief: our side did some atrocities, but atrocity conduct does not characterize us all.

Here's one aside: Really significant for history that W.D. Ehrhart and his squad found a food prostitute during the battle for Hue? Who'da thunk it? (BTW How many did you care to screw the week you ETS'd? [if at all]) At least it was a transaction, according to Ehrhart,not an ouright rape...

an' the beat goes on...
Old 25 Sep 17, 08:06
Second Lieutenant
United_States

Ep 6 includes Hue Massacre

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunnr View Post
And there it is..............Subtle but Glaring Mr Burns..........America : corrupt,dishonest ,poor stupid soldiers and military leaders,idiots all to even think we would "help" Vietnam.

South Vietnam: corrupt,ineffective, soldiers inept and cowards.

North Vietnam: great resolve,brave fighters,steadfast politicians and dauntless civilian population.

Ho Chi Minh would be proud..............

Also..........Although a lot of western Television and movies are not allowed to be shown in Vietnam.........This is being welcomed. What does that say?
Maybe the SRV brass didn't notice the segment acknowledging the Hue Massacre--something that serious researchers have known, and leftist apologists have denied, for decades. (near the end of Episode 6)
Old 25 Sep 17, 08:11
Lieutenant General
UK
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Kendrick is a jewel in the rough [500]
Kendrick is a jewel in the rough [500] Kendrick is a jewel in the rough [500] Kendrick is a jewel in the rough [500] Kendrick is a jewel in the rough [500] Kendrick is a jewel in the rough [500] Kendrick is a jewel in the rough [500] Kendrick is a jewel in the rough [500]
It is on British TV tonight at 9pm, I must watch it.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!