StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Vietnam War

Notices and Announcements

Vietnam War The Battle for Vietnam. .

Old 20 Sep 17, 09:36
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]  [+1]
Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
Watergate did it for me.
With Nixon I lost a lot of faith in our government then and until today.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

'half-baked, spurious nationalism'
Old 20 Sep 17, 10:17
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Pint John View Post
Do we still have a government? I thought we just went into a plutocracy.
Old 20 Sep 17, 11:36
General of the Forums
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
The CIA and DoD are not independent agency.

Vietnam shattered the myth, not just that the government was always truthful, but that it would never demand of its young men that they fight and perhaps die to prolong a war that the politicians could not end in a politically convenient fashion.

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/v...icle-1.3504827

Welcome to Afghanistan
Indeed. Ike was right, Beware of the industrial military industry, which unfortunately, our intelligence agencies are part of.
I believe there are some very smart dedicated and well meaning men and women in our alphabet systems, just as in the military.
Unfortunately, once the bureaucrats become entrenched expanding budgets and political influence of agency leaders become the prime mission.
Old 20 Sep 17, 11:41
General of the Forums
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Nixon was merely the cherry on the cake. McNamara did it for me, his maniacal obsession with numbers combined with his ice cold propensity for ignoring the human element in those equations, and his Svengali like control over politicians was more terrifying than Dr. Strangelove.
Old 20 Sep 17, 11:47
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
He was mild compared to the Democrats of today.

Quote:
No lie.

~
"Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
-2 Commando Jumpmaster
Old 20 Sep 17, 11:57
Brigadier General
United_States

Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101combatvet View Post
He was mild compared to the Democrats of today.
How about "He was mild compared to the politicians of today."

But I had little use for Nixon after he pardoned the draft dodgers. It was too much of an affront to all those thousands of U.S. servicemen who were wounded, died, or were crippled for life due to their service during the Vietnam conflict.
Old 20 Sep 17, 12:17
Major
United_States

III Corps is on the path to success [1-99] III Corps is on the path to success [1-99] III Corps is on the path to success [1-99] III Corps is on the path to success [1-99] III Corps is on the path to success [1-99] III Corps is on the path to success [1-99] III Corps is on the path to success [1-99]
I'm watching it and find it interesting. I get the sense there is more Lynn Novick than Ken Burns here, but he has his name on it.
Old 20 Sep 17, 12:58
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybriar View Post
. . . . But I had little use for Nixon after he pardoned the draft dodgers. It was too much of an affront to all those thousands of U.S. servicemen who were wounded, died, or were crippled for life due to their service during the Vietnam conflict.
I think that it was Jimmy Carter who pardoned the draft-dodgers, and it was part of a deal in which Robert E Lee's US citizenship was restored. I guess that after Watergate and Gerald Ford's subsequent blanket pardon of Richard Nixon, a mood of reconciliation swept the nation.

Or something like that.
Old 20 Sep 17, 12:59
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]  [+1]
Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban hermit View Post
Nixon was merely the cherry on the cake. McNamara did it for me, his maniacal obsession with numbers combined with his ice cold propensity for ignoring the human element in those equations, and his Svengali like control over politicians was more terrifying than Dr. Strangelove.
With Nixon I mean the system in general.

Up until then I was a GOP voted straight ballot. Afterward independent and vote the issue and NEVER AGAIN support a party.

The last President that I really had respect for was IKE but then I wasn't even of voting age.

He and Kennedy are the only two that ever said any thing that I can really remember. JFK's "don't ask your country etc" and Ike's warning.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Old 20 Sep 17, 13:17
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
He and Kennedy are the only two that ever said any thing that I can really remember. JFK's "don't ask your country etc" and Ike's warning.
What? You don't remember LBJ's "we are not about to send American boys 9 or 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian boys ought to be doing for themselves"? How about something of more recent vintage, like Bill Clinton's "I did not have sexual relations with that woman"?

Robert A Caro opened his Years of Lyndon Johnson noting how before Viet Nam it never occurred to the overwhelming majority of Americans to doubt their president. Since Viet Nam, however, taking a president at face value is considered patently absurd. If there's a lack of faith in this country, it's because the politicians did their level best to destroy people's faith, and they've been doubling-down ever since.

But as historians -- and let's be honest here, that all who participate on these forums and share their experiences and observations are historians, at least of a sort -- we're obliged to remember that political mendacity is as old as the written word. Thucydides laid it out quite well 2,400 years ago. So too did Tacitus. More recently we knew even during his lifetime that FDR was an inveterate liar: sonofabitch couldn't buy a handshake during his time in Albany -- and if you're known as a liar in Albany, then you've got a shot at the world heavyweight championship. So perhaps -- perhaps -- LBJ's and Nixon's only crimes weren't in the lieing, but in the losing. Had they won the Vietnam War, they'd possibly both be lionized today, as FDR and Abraham Lincoln are.

Old 20 Sep 17, 13:18
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
I got a pith helmet as well.

"Everybody goes home."
Wore your knees out.

Old 20 Sep 17, 13:34
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick_miester View Post
What? You don't remember LBJ's "we are not about to send American boys 9 or 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian boys ought to be doing for themselves"? How about something of more recent vintage, like Bill Clinton's "I did not have sexual relations with that woman"?

Robert A Caro opened his Years of Lyndon Johnson noting how before Viet Nam it never occurred to the overwhelming majority of Americans to doubt their president. Since Viet Nam, however, taking a president at face value is considered patently absurd. If there's a lack of faith in this country, it's because the politicians did their level best to destroy people's faith, and they've been doubling-down ever since.

But as historians -- and let's be honest here, that all who participate on these forums and share their experiences and observations are historians, at least of a sort -- we're obliged to remember that political mendacity is as old as the written word. Thucydides laid it out quite well 2,400 years ago. So too did Tacitus. More recently we knew even during his lifetime that FDR was an inveterate liar: sonofabitch couldn't buy a handshake during his time in Albany -- and if you're known as a liar in Albany, then you've got a shot at the world heavyweight championship. So perhaps -- perhaps -- LBJ's and Nixon's only crimes weren't in the lieing, but in the losing. Had they won the Vietnam War, they'd possibly both be lionized today, as FDR and Abraham Lincoln are.
I didn't ask then about how we would win. Now I have come to the conclusion that it wasn't winnable and not worth fighting in the first place.

I don't want us to be world policemen. Let China of NZ or Zimbabwe take over the role.

By the time those two rolled around I wasn't as blue eyed and also what they said wasn't worth using as any sort of positive.

The last one, MLK, offered some positive guidance in his I had a dream speech.

Old 20 Sep 17, 13:54
General of the Forums
United_States

OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybriar View Post
How about "He was mild compared to the politicians of today."
Insufficiently polarized.
Old 20 Sep 17, 13:56
General of the Forums
United_States

Interesting. Is this supposed to be in Nam? What unit? Where did the camo net on the helmet come from. Wool blanket in the field? No weapon but carrying the M-17?

Old 20 Sep 17, 13:57
Major General
Canada
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700]
I would suggest ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by III Corps View Post
I'm watching it and find it interesting. I get the sense there is more Lynn Novick than Ken Burns here, but he has his name on it.
... that there's more Geoffrey Ward here than either Burns or Novick; his name's on the script, and on the 640 pages of "The Vietnam War: An Intimate History", the book that accompanies the series, and when it comes to writing, Ward's "Mr. PBS".

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!