StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Vietnam War

Notices and Announcements

Vietnam War The Battle for Vietnam. .

Old 29 May 17, 22:24
Major
United_States

Mystikeye is on the path to success [1-99] Mystikeye is on the path to success [1-99] Mystikeye is on the path to success [1-99] Mystikeye is on the path to success [1-99] Mystikeye is on the path to success [1-99] Mystikeye is on the path to success [1-99] Mystikeye is on the path to success [1-99]
Ken Burns Documentary: VietNam

There was a thread on here a few months ago about Burns doc Viet Nam coming out this September on PBS but I couldn't find it so I'm posting a new one. If ya want to combine it with the old one ACG please do so. Anybody see Mr. Burns on Face the Nation this weekend? I think it was Face the Nation maybe it was Meet the Press. I saw that interview and have seen a bunch of commercials this weekend and today for his new documentary. Promoting it this early, May, and it doesn't come out for 4 more months, it must be pretty good. I hope it is. I have loved quite a few of his previous efforts and bought a few of them also. I was a bit stunned that he would take on the Viet Nam conflict. There are still so many that were a part of it with strong feelings about it. It seems it would be hard to get a "complete" work out, not to mention I would think a few things are still classified and under wraps. We'll see what happens. I hope he treats our Viet Nam veterans with the respect they earned and didn't get for many years afterwards. Looking forward to seeing this, how bout you all?
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 29 May 17, 23:31
General of the Forums
France
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Burn's "A war" , is the best docu that I've seen in all my life, regarding WW 2.
It's focused on the US side , but since it sticks to the humans , it's universal.Mobile , Alabama , could have been every town in every country.

Brilliant .Huge respect for the guy.
His work on the Civil War and on the prohibition were also astounding.
So , I hope seeing his view on the Vietnam war.
Old 30 May 17, 01:09
First Lieutenant
United_States

GRA is on the path to success [1-99] GRA is on the path to success [1-99] GRA is on the path to success [1-99]
I'm looking forward to the film myself. I've always felt Burns is a bit of a liberal but it's the story told from that point of view and the footage and interviews is what I'm anxious to see.

If he interviews anyone with the same knowledge and expertise on Vietnam as the late Shelby Foote was on the Civil War then it should be epic.

Ultimately I want to see where maybe I've always been wrong and where I may, and/or may not, agree with the experts that give their opinions.
Old 18 Sep 17, 08:53
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600]
jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600]
I'm afraid Burns has set the tone for this with one of the first Vietnam veterans interviewed. "I hated the Vietnamese"..........of 2 million in country veterans this is one whom he chooses to Quote?
Old 18 Sep 17, 09:11
First Lieutenant
United_States

GRA is on the path to success [1-99] GRA is on the path to success [1-99] GRA is on the path to success [1-99]
I watched it last night. Both the initial viewing and the rerun. Anxious for #2 tonight.

Learned some interesting stuff. I wonder what would've happened if the letters would've been received and read? This is my biggest question mark so far.

Never heard of the Binh Xuyen faction of gangster-activists in the Saigon and Cu Chi areas. Never heard of them at all. Asked my wife about them and she told me they were then active in the District 3 area where my mother-in-law currently lives.

I did get affirmation of what I always suspected about the Ho Chi Minh Club; they were all an elite group of communist gangsters that masterfully used deception to dupe the nation in to joining the international communist cause under the guise of nationalism an de-colonialization. I've never felt they would've accepted the outcome of the planned reunification election if the results did not land in their favor although this big national vote never happened anyway allegedly because of Diem.

It will be interesting to see the rest of the series.
Old 18 Sep 17, 09:37
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Jose50 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Jose50 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Jose50 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Jose50 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Jose50 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Jose50 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Jose50 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Jose50 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Jose50 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Jose50 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Jose50 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Jose50 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Jose50 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Jose50 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Cool ...been there, done that, got the t-shirt...

Ken Burns will do his usual masterful documentary, this time chronicling events that happened in our lifetime and perhaps not as subject to speculation as some of his previous works. He also needs a new haircut.
Old 18 Sep 17, 09:59
Second Lieutenant
United_States

Leonardo63 is on the path to success [1-99] Leonardo63 is on the path to success [1-99] Leonardo63 is on the path to success [1-99] Leonardo63 is on the path to success [1-99]
There's a lot of levels of understanding but for a novice- he did a good job laying the foundation of "How did we get there"
Bottom line is, Ken can't teach me anything new I haven't learned here from so many either through their wisdom or books. Yes, he does need a new hair style- a little long in the tooth to be sporting that "Beetles" buzz.
Old 18 Sep 17, 10:23
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Wow, I hated it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebfrench76 View Post
Burn's "A war" , is the best docu that I've seen in all my life, regarding WW 2.
It's focused on the US side , but since it sticks to the humans , it's universal.Mobile , Alabama , could have been every town in every country.

Brilliant .Huge respect for the guy.
His work on the Civil War and on the prohibition were also astounding.
So , I hope seeing his view on the Vietnam war.
No lie.

~
"Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
-2 Commando Jumpmaster
Old 18 Sep 17, 10:26
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
He has a very political agenda. I use to like his work, but all of it is the same style, it gets rather old after seeing one of his films.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunnr View Post
I'm afraid Burns has set the tone for this with one of the first Vietnam veterans interviewed. "I hated the Vietnamese"..........of 2 million in country veterans this is one whom he chooses to Quote?
No lie.

~
-2 Commando Jumpmaster
Old 18 Sep 17, 10:32
First Lieutenant
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101combatvet View Post
He has a very political agenda. I use to like his work, but all of it is the same style, it gets rather old after seeing one of his films.
Not too long in to the first episode last night my wife was quick to state she felt the whole documentary would promote and glorify the political left. I have to agree with her now but I've always had that impression of Ken Burns.
Sponsored Links

Old 18 Sep 17, 10:41
General of the Forums
United_States

And that is what makes his work crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRA View Post
Not too long in to the first episode last night my wife was quick to state she felt the whole documentary would promote and glorify the political left. I have to agree with her now but I've always had that impression of Ken Burns.
No lie.

~
-2 Commando Jumpmaster
Old 18 Sep 17, 11:10
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
I'll watch so as to be ready to straighten out the third semester poli-sci students who will be pontificating based on this one series of TV shows.
Old 18 Sep 17, 11:16
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRA View Post
I watched it last night. Both the initial viewing and the rerun. Anxious for #2 tonight.

Learned some interesting stuff. I wonder what would've happened if the letters would've been received and read? This is my biggest question mark so far.

Never heard of the Binh Xuyen faction of gangster-activists in the Saigon and Cu Chi areas. Never heard of them at all. Asked my wife about them and she told me they were then active in the District 3 area where my mother-in-law currently lives.

I did get affirmation of what I always suspected about the Ho Chi Minh Club; they were all an elite group of communist gangsters that masterfully used deception to dupe the nation in to joining the international communist cause under the guise of nationalism an de-colonialization. I've never felt they would've accepted the outcome of the planned reunification election if the results did not land in their favor although this big national vote never happened anyway allegedly because of Diem.

It will be interesting to see the rest of the series.
That part about Truman never being shown Ho's letters.........I wonder who kept those hidden? or is that True? I always respected Truman and found one of his few faults being supportive of France in Vietnam.......
Old 18 Sep 17, 11:19
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101combatvet View Post
One of the reasons I'm watching. I'm wondering how much "subjective history" he will present. Sadly....... Most of America will accept this series as the "gospel"
Old 18 Sep 17, 11:20
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
I'll watch so as to be ready to straighten out the third semester poli-sci students who will be pontificating based on this one series of TV shows.
A small pinpoint of light in the sea of darkness..........Thank you.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!