StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Age of Discovery, Colonization, Revolution, & Expansion

Notices and Announcements

American Age of Discovery, Colonization, Revolution, & Expansion Military history of North America. .

Old 28 May 17, 10:20
Brigadier General
United_States

Moulin is on the path to success [1-99] Moulin is on the path to success [1-99] Moulin is on the path to success [1-99] Moulin is on the path to success [1-99] Moulin is on the path to success [1-99] Moulin is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkV View Post
Parts of Europe had no written language until comparatively late. The educated elite often used Latin. The thing that enabled the spread of some written language in Europe was the introduction of printing and the Reformation for example
thanks all replies
I just did a quick search and did ''not know'' printing started so long ago--1440 it says...? I'm sure I've read it before, though--and now that you mention it--I think I remember that as a Jeopardy question
good call
so not only did they have the written language--they could mass produce it
..Wiki really calls it a game changer--

Quote:
In Renaissance Europe, the arrival of mechanical movable type printing introduced the era of mass communication, which permanently altered the structure of society.
Quote:
threatened the power of political and religious authorities.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Printing_press

and the invention of machines is part of the topic of the thread--they invented the printing machine ''before'' printing
..I'm sure they had basic-rudimentary ''printing'' before that
..I guess there was a need for mass producing writing/etc--
..so it looks like technology builds on itself--technology of printing advances education/etc---and so on --like a snowball

Last edited by Moulin; 28 May 17 at 10:27..
Old 28 May 17, 11:20
General of the Forums
UK
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

MarkV is simply cracking [600]
MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600]
One of the old fallacies - sometime repeated in these forums - is the "if I had a time machine I could go back and change history by introducing the ----" In fact so many things depend on other things being present first that its impossible to determine what are the real decisive inventions. So the introduction of printing depended on the invention of relatively cheap mass producible paper (rather than expensive parchment and velum). Although paper appears to have been introduced to Europe in about 1080 it was not until the new techniques for mass production of woodcut prints was developed in the 1300s that paper mills that could make the stuff in quantity began to be established in Germany.

The concept of printing was already long established for pictures (Chinese block printing) but the only way to apply this to text was to carve out the entire text letter by letter for each page on a block. The printing revolution was the development of moveable type, in printers metal (an alloy of lead, tin, and antimony) which would hold its shape after mass impressions but could be easily cast in small molds and this was only possible due to recent developments in metallurgy, at the same time oil based ink (that would stick to the type face was needed - this appears to have been adapted from oil paints (only recently invented) by a Van Eyk and the secret passed on to Gutenberg.

So all these things had to be available before printing could be established

Last edited by MarkV; 28 May 17 at 11:27..
Old 28 May 17, 11:38
Brigadier General
United_States

Moulin is on the path to success [1-99] Moulin is on the path to success [1-99] Moulin is on the path to success [1-99] Moulin is on the path to success [1-99] Moulin is on the path to success [1-99] Moulin is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkV View Post
One of the old fallacies - sometime repeated in these forums - is the "if I had a time machine I could go back and change history by introducing the ----" In fact so many things depend on other things being present first that its impossible to determine what are the real decisive inventions. So the introduction of printing depended on the invention of relatively cheap mass producible paper (rather than expensive parchment and velum). Although paper appears to have been introduced to Europe in about 1080 it was not until the new techniques for mass production of woodcut prints was developed in the 1300s that paper mills that could make the stuff in quantity began to be established in Germany.

The concept of printing was already long established for pictures (Chinese block printing) but the only way to apply this to text was to carve out the entire text letter by letter for each page on a block. The printing revolution was the development of moveable type, in printers metal (an alloy of lead, tin, and antimony) which would hold its shape after mass impressions but could be easily cast in small molds and this was only possible due to recent developments in metallurgy, at the same time oil based ink (that would stick to the type face was needed - this appears to have been adapted from oil paints (only recently invented) by a Van Eyk and the secret passed on to Gutenberg.

So all these things had to be available before printing could be established
I used to work at an old ''type'' printing company....with the ''old machines'' ...no need to say it, but it is long gone

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!