. Given the answers in Part (D) of the previous question, answer any two
of the situations presented (if possible). Assume from this point onwards that all
construction begun during Question One is now complete.
. In rapid succession, two events occur. Firstly, the headman of Albiga is murdered in the night. His replacement is an outspoken opponent of Gaurusí influence in the region and immediately begins daily militia training (making use of any assistance you offer). If you have made an effort to establish a grassroots intelligence network in the valley, you hear indications that Albiga is seeking closer ties with the bacaudae
and less certain rumours that the headman is already a bacaudae sympathizer
. Secondly, the villa of Decius Menenius Corbulo is attacked without warning and set ablaze. Most of the thirty Alan foederati survive, but only Corbuloís eldest daughter Menenia survives from the family (as she was in Vicus Elbii that night with her slaves). The Alans blame Vandal raiders. Menenia suspects a Roman enemy given her fatherís outspoken political views and demands both justice and sanctuary (with her foederati) in your Castrum.
- Detail what your response would have been when you first heard of the headmanís murder, and how your deployment would change after the death of Decius Menenius Corbulo.
- What would your report be to the Governor on recent events? What investigations, if any, would you perform first? If you feel the need to ask for help, what form of help would you request?
- If the events in this question were reversed - that is, Decius Corbulo died a week before the murder in Albiga - how would your answer in 1. Change?
. Due to the events elsewhere in the Western Empire, legions have been withdrawn from the local comitatenses
reserves as well as the Rhenus defenses. With growing tensions in your region and an increasing risk of larger raids from across the border, your Governor has authorized you to draw a small sum from the taxes you are collecting on his behalf in order to raise a fourth formation (either a turma or century of limitanei) from within the region. The unwritten subtext is that he would prefer as small an additional cost as possible. Gaurus offers to supply thirty quality mounts or eighty quality spears at his own cost on the understanding that you support his business interests against the petty complaints of the local peasantry who do not understand their place in the greater Empire. He will not however loan you any of his own foederati as this would reduce his own security.
- Which additional formation (if any) do you raise?
- Do you accept Gaurusí offer to assist with funding?
- Please outline the full deployment of all elements now in your command.