StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > ACG Community Run Wargames

Notices and Announcements

ACG Community Run Wargames Conflict simulations run by forum members for the ACG community.

Old 29 Apr 17, 23:23
Lieutenant General
Australia
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 
CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400]
Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400] Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400] Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400] Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400]
Sunset in the West - A Strategic Roleplay Discussion

Hello and welcome to the first in a series of partially-guided hypothetical discussions set in the late Roman Empire. In this, you will assume the role of a junior Praefectus of good senatorial stock in the 4th Century AD; given responsibility for a region within the Empire with authority over local military forces with orders to serve local Imperial interest and maintain peace and prosperity as best you can. To do this you will be asked to utilize your forces according to developing circumstances. Each Praefectus will handle their situation completely independently of any other player’s and there will be no in-character interaction - this is parallel rather than a competitive or cooperative simulation.

At the end of the day, your main opponent may be yourself.
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 29 Apr 17, 23:36
Lieutenant General
Australia
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 
CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400] Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400] Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400] Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400]
Format

We will use a question-and-answer format in parallel threads, where each player is presented with the same strategic problems and describes their own solutions to them.

Typically each player's ongoing situation will only be impacted by the questions and their own answers to previous questions, although you will sometimes be invited to critique another player's solutions.

Current intent is for a a new question to come out each week, with a number of questions (to be determined) before we bring out a new chapter or setting.

Answers will be provided by the players, so without the need for GM moderation there is nothing preventing an interested user in joining us weeks or months later and simply answering each of the questions in turn until they "catch up" to the present.

Whether you're reading this in April '17 or December '19, welcome to Sunset in the West.
Old 29 Apr 17, 23:39
Lieutenant General
Australia
CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Chapter 1: Regio Vicus Minor (392 AD)

You are a junior military praefectus from a good senatorial family. Your father bought you the chance to enter Imperial service with some authority, and you have been assigned to a military region in eastern Gallia. Your region is some distance behind the Rhenus frontier, but raiders have been known to slip across the border and there has also been some local unrest in the area. The decision has been made to establish a new secondary defense region; the Regio Vicus Minor.

Vicus Elbii
Grid: 0316
Type: Town
Population: 7000
Government: Town Council
Defense: A centurio of urban militia
Notes: The biggest settlement in the Regio Vicus Minor and the gateway for trade from Arretium along the via Flaminia towards the frontier area. This town is also the home of the region's church.

Olicana
Grid: 0405
Type: Village
Population: 800
Government: Headman
Defense: None
Notes: An agricultural community in the south-western valley, Olicana is still recovering from heavy losses during the last bacaudae uprising in eastern Gallia.

Savona
Grid: 2616
Population: 1300
Government: Village Council
Notes: An agricultural community in the north eastern valley, Savona has petitioned the Province Governor for protection following a Vandal raid two years ago.

Albiga
Grid: 2303
Population: 1400
Government: Headman
Notes: An agricultural and trading community in the south eastern valley, Albiga is involved in a secondary trade route southwards out of the valley.

Villa Spurius Avitus Gaurus
Grid: 1506
Type: Villa
Population: 480
Defense: Foederati guards
Notes: S. Gaurus is the wealthiest landowner in the valley and has strong political ties in Rome.

Villa Decius Menenius Corbulo
Grid: 2708
Type: Villa
Population: 150
Defense: Foederati guards
Notes: D. Corbulo is a member of an older and more traditional senatorial family with ties to the Republican movement.
Old 29 Apr 17, 23:40
Lieutenant General
Australia
CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Map

Old 29 Apr 17, 23:43
Lieutenant General
Australia
CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Question One

A. Who are you? Introduce yourself, and what one “special” purchase you would make with your share of the family wealth before journeying to the region.

B. Given the information above, define what the priorities of a military presence should be. Bear in mind threats both internal and external to the Empire, and to the region. Also note any deficiencies in the information provided and what should be done to fill in the gaps.

C. Based on your answer to (B), choose a location to construct your Castrum. Assume that the Castrum can hold all units in your command, will be supplied adequately from local sources for 2 weeks’ siege, and that comitatenses will be able to reach you (if summoned) within 10 days.

D. Your command has been assigned an experienced century (Century A, under Centurion Celsus) of Limitanei from the Rhenus defences, which will arrive in the region with you (veteran, 80 men). A second century (Century B, under Centurion Paulus) was drawn from the local area, will supervise construction of your Castrum and join you there (green, 72 men). You will also be joined by a turma of 30 cavalry. Where are these cavalry from and what is their commander’s name? Once all units have arrived, what are their deployments and standing missions?
Old 30 Apr 17, 02:57
ACG Forums - General Staff
France
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Summer Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I am Germanicus Julius Claudius. I want to buy twenty good riding horses to bring with me. I have a Hauberk of light mail, a Spatha, a good helmet and several Javelins. I have a good Celtic Saddle and I love to hunt from horseback. I want to raise some scouts from the locals to keep us advised on what is happened around us. 20 young men that can ride well and hurl Javelins.

We will build a Castrum across the river from Victis Elbii where we can dominate the river crossing and protect the settlement.

While we have a Town Militia and two Centuries, I want to train a couple of units of young men that can throw Javelins and/or Sling Stones. The Town Militia will have spears, shields and a few axes and clubs. Most will have a helmet even if it is an old Grecian type.

The Scouts will keep us advised on what is going on. The Militia will man the Town walls (even if they are old Celtec earthworks) and the soldiers will man the Castrum. The townsfolk will be expected to throw rocks if nothing else. There are a few Archers/Huntsmen that live in the woods nearby, that I am hoping will join us in case of invasion

There are storehouses in the town and in the Castrum. The river turns a mill.

I am hoping to hire some townsfolk to help build the Castrum quicker.

Is this what you have in mind Justin?

Pruitt

edit: We have a troop of Hunnish Cavalry. The leader's name is Draco. They have a mixture of weapons, from Bows, to Spears and Swords. The Veteran Infantry Century has Plumbata instead of Pilum.

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Last edited by Pruitt; 30 Apr 17 at 04:02..
Old 30 Apr 17, 05:09
Lieutenant General
Australia
CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Points of Clarity

1. Typically military commanders in the Late Roman period are forbidden from raising military formations unless specificially authorized to do so; there was a widespread fear of rebellion (not to mention who would end up paying for these men!)
  2. None of the towns or villages in this area are walled.
  3. The Urban Militia answers to the Town Council of Vicus Elbii rather than the local praefectus; in a military emergency it would be reasonable to expect them to cooperate with you, but you can only suggest (not command) and shouldn't count on their acquiescence.
Old 30 Apr 17, 05:17
Lieutenant General
Australia
CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
Is this what you have in mind Justin?

Pruitt
More or less, yes!

With small tweaks based on my clarification above, I have no real issues with your responses.

I might restructure them as follows, but that's purely personal preference (and you don't have to do anything of the kind).

A. Who are you? Introduce yourself, and what one “special” purchase you would make with your share of the family wealth before journeying to the region.

Quote:
I am Germanicus Julius Claudius. I want to buy twenty good riding horses to bring with me. I have a Hauberk of light mail, a Spatha, a good helmet and several Javelins. I have a good Celtic Saddle and I love to hunt from horseback. I want to raise some scouts from the locals to keep us advised on what is happened around us. 20 young men that can ride well and hurl Javelins.
(suggested amendment is to remove the javelin aspect - bribing locals to act as your scouts with good mounts is entirely reasonable, raising your own additional light cavalry formation will raise eyebrows with your superiors)

B:

C: Based on your answer to (B), choose a location to construct your Castrum. Assume that the Castrum can hold all units in your command, will be supplied adequately from local sources for 2 weeks’ siege, and that comitatenses will be able to reach you (if summoned) within 10 days.

Quote:
We will build a Castrum across the river from Victis Elbii (EDIT: In 0315?) where we can dominate the river crossing and protect the settlement.
D. Your command has been assigned an experienced century (Century A, under Centurion Celsus) of Limitanei from the Rhenus defences, which will arrive in the region with you (veteran, 80 men). A second century (Century B, under Centurion Paulus) was drawn from the local area, will supervise construction of your Castrum and join you there (green, 72 men). You will also be joined by a turma of 30 cavalry. Where are these cavalry from and what is their commander’s name? Once all units have arrived, what are their deployments and standing missions?

Quote:
The Scouts will keep us advised on what is going on. The Militia will man the Town walls (even if they are old Celtec earthworks) and the soldiers will man the Castrum. The townsfolk will be expected to throw rocks if nothing else. There are a few Archers/Huntsmen that live in the woods nearby, that I am hoping will join us in case of invasion (EDIT: reasonable assumption, good initiative)

There are storehouses in the town and in the Castrum. The river turns a mill.

I am hoping to hire some townsfolk to help build the Castrum quicker.

edit: We have a troop of Hunnish Cavalry. The leader's name is Draco. They have a mixture of weapons, from Bows, to Spears and Swords. The Veteran Infantry Century has Plumbata instead of Pilum.
Old 30 Apr 17, 06:49
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Spurrius Bruttius Britannicus is the b*stard 1st son of the family, known for its service in Britannia among other places. With no prospects in Rome or elsewhere since his father has a 'legitimate' heir, he took to the soldiering life instead. Fortunately, a somewhat doting father who might actually like him over his more 'urbane' brother doesn't mind providing the funding, and some contacts of sorts, to make sure his son isn't thrown to the wolves out on the frontier.

Prior to leaving for his station, Bruttius equips himself as a proper Roman should, with Spatha, Scutum, Lorica Hamata, Helmet, and a couple of good horses. His two bondservants travel with him on decent horses. Getas, a Thracian, wears Lorica Hamata, Helm, and Spatha in his role as Shield Bearer, daily the guard of Bruttius. Hassana, of Syrian stock, also wears Lorica Hamata, but bears only a short Gladius along with his bow, with a battlefield role of messenger or runner.

Using some of his father's contacts, he finds a couple of veterans who are quite down on their luck, having squandered their initial retirement, and very nearly selling the personal bits of their equipment, on gambling. Both want to get back to the frontier and away from the temptations of urban life, and with Bruttius paying their debts and providing a decent horse, they gladly join him (Spatha, Lorica Hamata, Helm, Plumbata x 4, Scutum).

The priorities of my presence in this region will be:

1) Secure the border line against external raids.
2) Secure the region against civil or tribal unrest.
3) Secure trade and ensure proper customs duties are being observed.

Things which I will need to learn:

1) The mettle of the local militia. This will be done by informal inspection and by asking for some exercises to take place.

2) The mettle of the landowners guards. This will be done by informal inspection during visits. Loyalties and general disposition will be gleaned by my veteranii speaking to them during my visit with their master.

3) The attitude of the populace. Some contacts and informants will need to be established.

4) The vulnerability of the region to raids, this will be done by cavalry and infantry patrols.

I will establish my Castra at 2208. This gives me a central yet forward position to operate from, putting me within quick reaction range to both border towns of decent size and the Roman estates.

I will also have work started on a series of towers/outposts along the Via Flaminia, at 0613, 0506, 1509, 2203, and 2515. These posts will consist of a single watchtower at the corner of a small palisaded square with a single gate and a house forming one wall. They will be designed to provide overnight shelter to a patrol, with space for men and horses inside the palisade for overnight use, and space for tentage to be erected to hold 40 men or so in an emergency, with typical 'garrison' of 8 to be housed more permanently against the weather.

My cavalry are Sarmatian transplants, armed and equipped in their typical fashion with Lorica Squamata, Lance, and Sword.

Initial deployment of all infantry will be to construct the Castra with the assistance of local craftsmen. The Centurions will supervise this construction and I will inspect salient points while giving my Centurions their due freedom from micromanagement. Once the Castra is completed, a Patrol of 20 men, drawn from both centuries, will construct each Outpost in turn.

The Turma of Sarmatians will perform a patrol in force during this construction phase, 'showing the banner' at the villages while getting a lay of the land and noting key features, possible old raider campsites, and so forth. They will patrol into the forest while withdrawing from combat offered that's not on open terrain.

I will make random forays with the cavalry to get the lay of the land myself, speak to the headmen/councils of the various villages and hear their grievances while giving them my expectations, and visit with my fellow Romans at their villas.

Last edited by TacCovert4; 30 Apr 17 at 11:17..
Old 30 Apr 17, 09:21
France
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Summer Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Actually, 0315 is where I was thinking for the Castrum. I want to organize some the young men to take up some kind of military training. If I show up with twenty good horses, I think the better raised young men would be glad to practice horse riding skills. Funding a monthly weekend of military practice of Missile skills would help defend the place. The Cavalry and Young Riders could bring in some Meat and a couple of barrels of cheap wine and ale could bring in people ready to practice. A Gymkana would likely bring in the locals.

Pruitt

Sponsored Links

Old 30 Apr 17, 11:38
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Spurrius Bruttius will also meet with his Centurions (both of them) and discuss training and how he expects his troops to get up to and maintain a high standard of fitness for battle if it occurs. He expects a training schedule, and that it be followed by all troops not on patrol or post.

He also tells them that each outpost will be manned in rotation by 8 men from each Century. Weekly, 20 men from each century will march out on a randomly selected patrol between the outposts....and at each outpost 4 men from each century will be rotated in, and those on post will be rotated into the patrol. In this way no man is stuck on post endlessly which leads to boredom and sloth, there is a high state of readiness, the people see a sizeable patrol operating regularly which should discourage civil unrest and banditry, taxes collected at the outposts can be returned easily to the Castrum, and the centuries develop camraderie and the ability to operate as one unit.
Old 05 May 17, 21:17
Lieutenant General
Australia
CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Posted for ACOWAR

ACOWAR (who I know offline) has joined ACG to post in this discussion; unfortunately they do not yet have posting permissions (likely to complete activation later today) so I'm posting on their behalf the following:

Octavianus Rhysand Avitus is the 4th son of a wealthy senatorial family, who wishes to distinguish himself from his brothers and secure his own future (with three old brothers his inheritance is not as large as he would like it to be). Personality wise he is socially charming, but vulnerable to bouts of anger and jealousy. In appearance he is average, but he is highly intelligent and gives little consequence to people who disagree with him. He is politically neutral and happy to support the status quo as long as his personal advancement is secure. He is an average fighter, but a fine horseman.

Special purchase: A team of elite bodyguards (2), a personal slave and a educated scribe to record the great deeds of Octavianus Rhysand Avitus.

B. Given the information above, define what the priorities of a military presence should be. Bear in mind threats both internal and external to the Empire, and to the region. Also note any deficiencies in the information provided and what should be done to fill in the gaps.

Aims:

(i) Being aware of and appropriately prepared for raider incursions.
(ii) Protecting the local populations who have no defence: Olicana, Savona and Albiga. Training people from the local population to defend themselves in the events of attack.
(iii) Creating positive rapport with locals and identify sources of local unrest.
(iv) Maintaining/ensuring safe travel along roads.

Questions:

(i) What is the extent of local unrest and what individuals or groups are involved?
(ii) Who, if anyone is living in the forest?
(iii) When was the last raider incursion, where did they come from and who did they attack?

C. Based on your answer to (B), choose a location to construct your Castrum. Assume that the Castrum can hold all units in your command, will be supplied adequately from local sources for 2 weeks’ siege, and that comitatenses will be able to reach you (if summoned) within 10 days.

2309. Close to the road to aid in the transporting of troops and observation of local movement. On the North side of the road.

Century A (Celsus): 40 men stationed near Savona (2617) with instructions to build a defensive outpost near the town on good, elevated ground. Every Thursday, Saturday and Tuesday a small team of soldiers will run a half days combat training for local men.

40 men at the Castrum as a reaction force. Every Tuesday and Thursday a small team of soldiers will run a half days combat training for local men. On Fridays 20 men march to Albiga, camp outside the town and patrol the area over the next few days. They leave for the Castrum again on Monday morning.

Century B (Paulus): 35 men stationed near Olicana (0505) with instructions to build a defensive outpost near the town on good, elevated ground. Every Wednesday and Friday a small team of soldiers will run a half days basic combat training for interested local men (supervised by Paulus - as they are green).

Remaining men (37) will make camp near the river below Vicus Elibii at 0214. With instructions to build a defensive outpost to aid the citizens should an attack occur. They will not be training locals at this stage.

The cavalry is from Rome and led by Cassius Morrigan Auxilius. The cavalry will be based at the Castrum, but travel to Savona and back (Mon-Wed). One horseman will always remain at the Castrum to be a messenger in the event of an emergency.

Octavianus Rhysand Avitus will request invitations to visit S. Gaurus and D. Corbulon to build rapport and gain insight into local conditions. When doing this he will be accompanied by his bodyguards, they stay in the Villas as guests. If the landowners will not accomodate him to a comfortable standard then he will not go.
Old 06 May 17, 02:12
Lieutenant General
Australia
CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Question Two

Map Clarifications:

A. Objectively critique one of the other answers to question one. Point out constructively what you believe are the strengths and/or weaknesses in how the answer differs from yours. You may critique another answer which has already been critiqued.

B. Assume your Castrum was successfully completed before your arrival but that other construction (if any) is still under way. The province Governor has determined that a small toll will be levied on merchants and travellers passing through your region, the collection of which is to be administered by you. He has assigned two professional tax collectors and six trained slaves to assist in this.
  1. Which elements (if any) of your command will you assign to assist in toll collecting duties?
  2. Given the personnel assigned to this task and the local geography, what is the most effective approach to ensure as many merchants and travellers as possible pay this toll? Assume this change to your deployment will be ongoing.
  3. Who, if anyone, is exempt from paying the toll in your region? Why? The Governor has not determined this, effectively leaving this decision to you.

C. What follows are three possible scenarios for events in the Regio Vicus Minor. For each scenario, describe the closest elements of your command and what your overall response would be. Assume that events from one scenario will not directly affect the others (but that any changes from “B” have already taken place).
  1. An increase in bandit attacks have been reported in the region, primarily along the Via Flaminia between 0812 and 1809. Where is your closest response force? Cavalry within 4 miles or infantry within 2 miles can plausibly intercept a raid if an alert is given. Most survivors report the raiders seem to be low-class provincials, although some reports suggest foreigners who disappeared north or south of the road. Who or what do you suspect? What change (if any) will this make to your deployment? Describe any actions you would take.
  2. A message was intercepted by the urban militia at Vicus Elbii, advising that Tibatto (a well-known leader of the bacaudae) has heard his supporters’ call and is on his way to the region to overthrow “the leeches and oppressors”. You have no information on active sympathizers in the region. What are your area(s) of concern? What (if anything) will you do to counter this?
  3. S. Gaurus has a powerful force of foederati in his service; approximately two hundred Franks under a captain Chlotar, who tend to be profoundly high-handed in their dealings with the local villagers. To date this has largely been restricted to petty theft and protection at the local markets, but now the headman of Olicana (Marcus Catillinus) has accused two of Chlotar’s foederati of raping a local freedman’s daughter. Gaurus categorically denies the accusation and blames the Olicanans of stirring up trouble out of jealousy, malice and xenophobia. Tensions are rising and there is a growing chance of violence. What are your responsibilities here? How do you carry them out?

D. Create another scenario like the ones presented in part C. Any reasonable military, political or social scenario is acceptable. However, do not answer this scenario yourself. It will be answered by other players in Question Three.
Old 06 May 17, 14:55
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khryses View Post

A. Objectively critique one of the other answers to question one. Point out constructively what you believe are the strengths and/or weaknesses in how the answer differs from yours. You may critique another answer which has already been critiqued.

Germanicus Julius Claudius: The location of your Castrum provides excellent protection to the town of Vicus Elbii. However, it leaves a huge swath of border relatively uncovered, and means a long march for your Cohorts to any of the other villages or villas in the region. Also, in the event of a rebellion, the largest group of potential adversaries (the Vicus Elbii Militia) have immediate access to your Castrum, and could potentially beseige you and prevent you from stopping the flames of rebellion from spreading to all other locations in your region.

B. Assume your Castrum was successfully completed before your arrival but that other construction (if any) is still under way. The province Governor has determined that a small toll will be levied on merchants and travellers passing through your region, the collection of which is to be administered by you. He has assigned two professional tax collectors and six trained slaves to assist in this.
  1. Which elements (if any) of your command will you assign to assist in toll collecting duties?

Primarily the Outposts at 0613 and 2203, along with the duty watch at the Castrum Proper. 1 Tax Collector and 2 Slaves will be placed in the outposts to collect duties and provide the proper seals/chits/signatures to verify same. The Duty Watch at the Castra will supervise 2 slaves in verifying that passing traders have either paid duties at the main locations, or collect duties at the Castra. Taxes paid will be collected on the weekly rounds (and guard mount at the watchtowers) and will be stored at the Castra for the Governor. The watchtowers at 0613 and 2203 will have an extra building built attached to the Palisade and nearest the road with four rooms, one as an office, one for the tax collector, one for the trained slaves, and one as a locked storeroom for collections or seizures from smugglers.
  2. Who, if anyone, is exempt from paying the toll in your region? Why? The Governor has not determined this, effectively leaving this decision to you.

Those exempt from the toll are as follows:
1) Those delivering supplies to a village recovering from a raid as ordered by Spurrius.
2) Those delivering supplies to the Castra or an outpost.
3) Those who deliver supplies to the Castra at a reasonable price, on time and in good condition will receive chits at a rate of 1 for every 5 carts delivered, these chits will be good for 1 cart to pass toll free on their non-military runs.
4) Smugglers caught attempting to avoid the tax will have their goods seized on the first offense and either used by my men or sold at auction to be held outside the Castra gate on Saturn's Day. On the second offense they will be whipped and branded. On the third offense they will have their right hand summarily removed at the Castra after trial by me (if Roman) or summary judgement by the Duty Centurion or me (if I'm not busy) (if non-Roman). I do not believe there will be problems with 4th offenses.

C. What follows are three possible scenarios for events in the Regio Vicus Minor. For each scenario, describe the closest elements of your command and what your overall response would be. Assume that events from one scenario will not directly affect the others (but that any changes from “B” have already taken place).
  1. An increase in bandit attacks have been reported in the region, primarily along the Via Flaminia between 0812 and 1809. Where is your closest response force? Cavalry within 4 miles or infantry within 2 miles can plausibly intercept a raid if an alert is given. Most survivors report the raiders seem to be low-class provincials, although some reports suggest foreigners who disappeared north or south of the road. Who or what do you suspect? What change (if any) will this make to your deployment? Describe any actions you would take.

My Sarmatian Turma might be in the area while on their patrol of the region. If so they will respond and handle the situation in their fashion. If they are at the Castra or where I can dispatch them quickly, I will dispatch them to Villa Gaurus with 4 days of food supplies for the men and a letter from me to Gaurus advising him that my men will be making camp near his villa and that if they should require any further supply I will arrange payment in accordance with law and custom, and requesting that an outbuilding or storehouse or quarters be made available to their use, with my compliments and a promised visit. The Sarmatians will make camp and post guards near the Villa or at whatever building Gaurus provides. They will then deploy a recce in force of 1/2 the Turma on patrols in the region, mostly off the road with some escorts provided, with a primary mission of locating and destroying the bandits.

My regular patrol force of 40 limitanei will patrol directly along the road on their route between the outposts and towns, and will be highly visible on these patrols. Infantry are poorly suited to running down bandits who can melt into the background, but presence alone will deter actions and encourage local morale.

I will offer bounties for the apprehension of these bandits, they won't be overly high, yet.

2. A message was intercepted by the urban militia at Vicus Elbii, advising that Tibatto (a well-known leader of the bacaudae) has heard his supporters’ call and is on his way to the region to overthrow “the leeches and oppressors”. You have no information on active sympathizers in the region. What are your area(s) of concern? What (if anything) will you do to counter this?

I will be making some rounds this 'turn'. In those rounds I will meet with the leaders of the militia and of Vicus Elbii. I will offer to train men for fighting off rebels and emphasize the importance of all of us working together. The presence of a couple of real life comitenses should also provide emphasis of what will happen if a rebellion occurs and serve as a subtle reminder for them to keep their own villagers under control. I will set dates for the militia to be turned out for training, and strongly encourage them to work with me (I'm not giving orders but merely setting a couple of dates where either myself or representatives will be on hand to help train the militia and make them better).

I will also put out feelers via my outposts, patrols, and my own travels, working to develop a cell-like network of informants about treasonous activity in the region.

3. S. Gaurus has a powerful force of foederati in his service; approximately two hundred Franks under a captain Chlotar, who tend to be profoundly high-handed in their dealings with the local villagers. To date this has largely been restricted to petty theft and protection at the local markets, but now the headman of Olicana (Marcus Catillinus) has accused two of Chlotar’s foederati of raping a local freedman’s daughter. Gaurus categorically denies the accusation and blames the Olicanans of stirring up trouble out of jealousy, malice and xenophobia. Tensions are rising and there is a growing chance of violence. What are your responsibilities here? How do you carry them out?

In my rounds I will hear from both Gaurus and the Headman. I will obtain their list of witnesses and determine if there is substantial evidence with which to stand trial. If there is I will summon both of the Franks to the Castra (not to Olicana) along with the Witnesses and the Victim. I will hold a trial in my capacity as commanding officer of this district and de facto judicial official, with my senior Centurion functioning as Prosecutor, and whoever Chotai decides will be counsel for the defense.

If there is not enough evidence to meet muster for a trial (highly likely), I will determine the amount of petty theft and protection rackets that have be enforced in the absence of a proper military force to handle duties in this province. I will encourage the Headman to build a Town Guard, and will offer to deploy a squad of my men to train his town guard until it is sufficient to protect Olicana from petty crime and banditry. I will extend that this is an offer that needs to be matched in kind, and that I would expect a number of his people to muster for training, and that the village craftsmen would need to make or provide the materials for my men to make shields and spears for the men in the militia. I will keep it relatively gentle though, and tell him that the 'protection racket' his merchants have been paying should instead be a small tax levied by him to provide proper town guards and people to enforce law....and it would be much cheaper than paying off the Franks.

I will then in my visit to Gaurus speak to both him and his Captain and advise them that Rome has sent me to handle the day to day protection of the region and that the Captain's former services to the region at large are highly appreciated but are not needed in that capacity. I will advise the Captain that it would be a bad idea for his men to go into Olicana unless they are directly protecting a villa asset on official business.

I will also try to get them to agree to a series of exercises for the men, as it is obvious that his feoderati are bored and need some activity to sharpen their skills and prevent them from losing discipline.

While my Turma of Sarmatians encamped near (or right on the edge of depending on Gaurus) the villa isn't purposely in place for a threat, I think that the Franks will get the idea that the 'sheriff' is in town and preying on the locals is no longer in their best interests.

The next patrol sent out (the usual 20 man patrol) will include a couple of senior soldiers and some additional men (10 total) to be dropped off in Olicana and stay at provided housing....they will be training the men of the town and will be keeping general order there while reporting back to me.

D. Create another scenario like the ones presented in part C. Any reasonable military, political or social scenario is acceptable. However, do not answer this scenario yourself. It will be answered by other players in Question Three.

You receive a letter from Corbulo stating that several of his men (about 10) have deserted and left, probably heading towards Savona after they stole several cattle from him and killed two of his slaves. He demands that you deal with this problem and threatens to turn his other Roxolanni axemen loose to hunt them down if you do not.

Last edited by TacCovert4; 06 May 17 at 20:06..
Old 07 May 17, 03:03
France

I would build a toll house in sections 0216 and 0415. This way you get the traffic coming and going to the frontier. I would like to personally hear any tales of woe before we excuse the toll. I want to have ears in several taverns in town and in the whorehouse. The proprietors of these establishments will get their tolls refunded if they provide useful gossip. I want to know what the townspeople are saying and the local magnates. The toll takers will sleep in the castrum and bring back collections. Local farmers that use the road to bring their produce and animals to market can probably pay the toll in kind.

I also want to build a watchtower to watch the woods and that broken road going into the woods. I figure a watchtower at 0816 would be far enough back to light a signal fire if trouble comes. I will also hire Hunters to roam the woods and bring back game to the watchtower. If they spot trouble in the woods they will hang a signal on the edge of the woods for my scouts to see. Dan's design for a watch tower is fine with me.

I am going to use my 20 riding horses to give local riders the chance to earn some meals and drink. They will travel to the other castrums and check the edge of the woods for signals.

If I were to say anything about my two esteemed colleagues plans, it would be that it looks like they want to defend the whole region at once and have spread their men out thin.

The Green Century will spend much of its time at the castrum training and working construction until they are better at their craft. Patrols from the Cavalry and Veteran Century will do most of the checking out of tips. I will offer the Town Militia the chance to do some training with my Green troops.

I will give dinners for locals and for the neighboring officers. A monthly Gymkhana to show off horsemanship and some Infantry skills will entertain the locals. I want to give the locals a chance to win a prize using the Sling and the Bow.

Pruitt

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!